Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

mcmagic posted:

That deck was actually later in Theros as an answer to Mono Black.

Really?

I though in the latter part of the Theros era we were getting smashed by Nixthos fuled turn 5 hornet queens with Polucranos finishing games... then that million life GW morph deck.

I played a WMCQ with that WB deck and I recall mono black being beaten down by that and the Mono U devotion deck. Maybe I'm getting old and my perception of time is distorted ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DoctorOozy posted:

Really?

I though in the latter part of the Theros era we were getting smashed by Nixthos fuled turn 5 hornet queens with Polucranos finishing games... then that million life GW morph deck.

I played a WMCQ with that WB deck and I recall mono black being beaten down by that and the Mono U devotion deck. Maybe I'm getting old and my perception of time is distorted ;)

That was theros-khans standard.

WB was later on in RTR-theros

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

That was theros-khans standard.

WB was later on in RTR-theros

Magic is great, and Standard is great when there are so many decks and the metagame is able to evolve such that it becomes tough to remember when a deck actually existed.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Tainen posted:

The Vorthos Cast had a pretty detailed rundown of Bolas’ plans on the latest episode and they said it was pretty much so he could sit back and see who came to save the day so that he would know who he would he going to up against. It’s dumb as hell...
Imagine if stories worked like they would in real life.

*commits huge crime*
*watches who comes to deal with it*

Hmm, looks like I'm up against [checks notes] the police.

Grifter fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 13, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Mine? I don't pretend this is the best iteration but I like it. It's not consistent but when it goes off it's drat hilarious.

4 Baral, Chief of Compliance (AER) 28
3 Island (RIX) 193
2 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Supreme Will (HOU) 49
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Abrade (HOU) 83
2 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance (KLD) 110
3 Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh (HOU) 140
3 Champion of Wits (HOU) 31
3 Strategic Planning (HOU) 47
3 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
2 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
2 Mox Amber (DAR) 224
1 The Scarab God (HOU) 145
4 Yawgmoth's Vile Offering (DAR) 114
3 Canyon Slough (AKH) 239
3 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
4 Fetid Pools (AKH) 243
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Spirebluff Canal (KLD) 249

I liked the whole idea, but I kind of feel like Karn's Temporal Sundering and Jaya's Immolating Inferno are better payoffs to bothering to cast Legendary Sorceries. I liked playing Offering, but it required a lot of set up imo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Angry Grimace posted:

I liked the whole idea, but I kind of feel like Karn's Temporal Sundering and Jaya's Immolating Inferno are better payoffs to bothering to cast Legendary Sorceries. I liked playing Offering, but it required a lot of set up imo.

Like I said, inconsistent. Your Offering stranded in your hand because Baral got Struck right away feels bad. Dropping a turn three bolas while removing one of their dudes... feels very good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm pretty sure that most of the instances people are complaining about with opponents slow-playing in Arena are actually just the game making GBS threads the bed.

I keep having games where it's my opponent's turn and it looks like they're sitting there doing nothing for a few minutes and then suddenly it's my turn and it's skipped a bunch of stuff as if it was me who was idling.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Entropic posted:

I'm pretty sure that most of the instances people are complaining about with opponents slow-playing in Arena are actually just the game making GBS threads the bed.

I keep having games where it's my opponent's turn and it looks like they're sitting there doing nothing for a few minutes and then suddenly it's my turn and it's skipped a bunch of stuff as if it was me who was idling.

:same:

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Hard to figure out what to do here when the game shits itself.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

uhhh so I went to do my first competitive draft, lost one game (not match), started to load into sideboard screen, popped up a quest claim and then immediately kicked me out and gave me a single prize pack, my run is ended. What the gently caress just happened?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Hauki posted:

uhhh so I went to do my first competitive draft, lost one game (not match), started to load into sideboard screen, popped up a quest claim and then immediately kicked me out and gave me a single prize pack, my run is ended. What the gently caress just happened?

Wotc did

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Wotc did

why don't we have a :wotc: anyway

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kaladesh & Aether Revolt continue to make things suck

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Hauki posted:

why don't we have a :wotc: anyway

we did but it made every tenth post crash so they had to remove it

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Pretty interesting deck choice. I think he just put every single blue and black card he owned into the deck.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

moush posted:

Pretty interesting deck choice. I think he just put every single blue and black card he owned into the deck.

"I'm never going to lose to mill again"
-That guy

Reminded me of when Kenji was playing a cube and his opponent's only win condition was Brain Freeze (mill 3, storm)

So Kenji's sideboard plan consisted of 300 basic lands. It actually lagged the game out really hard constantly

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I really hope he just lost to a Teferi player milling him and wanted them to suffer.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A guy watching a match at Wednesday Night Magic told a player in the match that his Woodland Cemetery entered untapped because he controlled a Blooming Marsh and it produced black, so it counted as a Swamp. I told him otherwise, and the guy who gave the pro-tip spent the next twenty minutes on his phone simmering with anger and trying to find something to prove me wrong. When I stopped watching the match, he was staring at a picture of Woodland Cemetery on his phone and frowning until pairings for the next round went up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is this going to turn into an argument that a if a land adds any combination of colors of mana then it ought to be typed?

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Mine? I don't pretend this is the best iteration but I like it. It's not consistent but when it goes off it's drat hilarious.

4 Baral, Chief of Compliance (AER) 28
3 Island (RIX) 193
2 Negate (RIX) 44
2 Supreme Will (HOU) 49
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81
2 Swamp (RIX) 194
2 Abrade (HOU) 83
2 Mountain (RIX) 195
3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance (KLD) 110
3 Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh (HOU) 140
3 Champion of Wits (HOU) 31
3 Strategic Planning (HOU) 47
3 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
2 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
2 Mox Amber (DAR) 224
1 The Scarab God (HOU) 145
4 Yawgmoth's Vile Offering (DAR) 114
3 Canyon Slough (AKH) 239
3 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
4 Fetid Pools (AKH) 243
4 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Spirebluff Canal (KLD) 249

Nice, might sleeve something like this for some FNM since i've already done a Sultai Yawgmoth "Reanimator" and it was fun!! (Also 3-1 that FNM :p) .

My sultai version was more creature based with Muldrotah, Carnage Tyrant, Galtha, Vrashka and Razaketh.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
As far as zendikar is concerned, there's that new demon guy in m19 shown crushing an eldrazi with flavor text about pesky invaders and making it his playground or whatever, so maybe Bolas just wanted to draw that guy out so he could defeat him and steal his power or something corny like that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

who is in vegas

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

STONE COLD 64 posted:

who is in vegas

I'm in Vegas, just about to head to the venue and win some byes.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skeletons are an underrepresented tribe

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Death Baron was $20 for some reason so hopefully this can make that absurdity crater

Monitor
Dec 28, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Skeletons are an underrepresented tribe

I am all in to switching from zombies to the bone zone for black's tribe

Reassembling skeleton for life

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

As far as zendikar is concerned, there's that new demon guy in m19 shown crushing an eldrazi with flavor text about pesky invaders and making it his playground or whatever, so maybe Bolas just wanted to draw that guy out so he could defeat him and steal his power or something corny like that.

Demons and angels were a thing on Zendikar from the beginning, emeria angel, Iona, halo hunter and ob nixliis. Looks to me like a card they were going to print in one of the Zendikar sets and then shelved it, and are bringing it back out now that the eldrazi are out of standard because ?????

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

Demons and angels were a thing on Zendikar from the beginning, emeria angel, Iona, halo hunter and ob nixliis. Looks to me like a card they were going to print in one of the Zendikar sets and then shelved it, and are bringing it back out now that the eldrazi are out of standard because ?????

It kills vehicles i guess (assuming its not a sorcery i dont have a pic of it or even remember its name to look it up right now), could be seeding for an artifact set in the future?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I am here for Skeleton tribal. Rattle Rattle.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

It kills vehicles i guess (assuming its not a sorcery i dont have a pic of it or even remember its name to look it up right now), could be seeding for an artifact set in the future?

MaRo posted yesterday that it is designed for modern

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/174868817268/i-think-my-question-about-infernal-judgement-got

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it also kills manlands

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ugh I don't like wasting a rare slot on a card explicitly not meant to see play in standard but whatever I guess they waste a lot of rare slots on cards like that

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

this art is loving sick

I'd play dead stuff tribal given it was good

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

STONE COLD 64 posted:

it also kills manlands

no it doesn't?

edit: it DOES kill Hostile Desert

edit 2: and mutavault

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

STONE COLD 64 posted:

it also kills manlands

depends on the manland, most manlands animate into the colors that they tap for

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's PROBABLY not as good as Ceremonious Rejection?.....

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

It's PROBABLY not as good as Ceremonious Rejection?.....

It's like Ceremonious Rejection and a reversed Swords to Plowshares had a baby and dressed it in black.

I can see it being good against big artifact dudes and eldrazi and that's... about it.

please don't let this mean we're going to be seeing eldrazi again so soon

don't taint ravnica with eldrazi

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ravinca + Eldrazi set one
Ravinca + Eldrazi + Bolas set two
Ravinca + Eldrazi + Bolas + Phrexians set three

WotC: We don’t know why player response to the new block model was so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'd hate that but I'd tolerate it if it meant a return to New Phyrexia next.