Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Berke Negri posted:

just lol if you played fallout 1 as a kid and your take away then was some nerd poo poo like hegelian dialectics and not oh god power armor is bad a s s

i hope there's a bunch of new models

someone said in this thread 'it was about the dangers of nuclear proliferation'.

everything in that game is better because it got nuked. what's the alternative? listening to byng crosby, eating some tapioca pudding then hurling racial epithets at canadians?

also, don't you kill every endboss with a nuke? if fallout teaches us anything, it's that nuclear weapons do infact solve a lot of problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

J-Spot posted:

For sure. Why bother doing anything at all if there's any risk of failure involved?

There's such a thing as too high a risk (the John Carter movie, the Justice League movie, and Fallout 76, just to name a few)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sheen Sheen posted:

There's such a thing as too high a risk (the John Carter movie, the Justice League movie, and Fallout 76, just to name a few)

Bethesda making a game in a genre that you personally do not prefer but other people might find fun is ok. Especially because the alternative would be no new Fallout game, it doesn't effect Fallout 5 in any way because the team that would be working on it is currently on TES.

If this game ends up being bad Fallout 5 will still come out and be exactly what you would expect from a mainline Fallout iteration.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

jfood posted:

everything in that game is better because it got nuked. what's the alternative? listening to byng crosby, eating some tapioca pudding then hurling racial epithets at canadians?

Fallout 5 confirmed

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Sheen Sheen posted:

Well, releasing a constant stream of trash does have the potential effect of cheapening a brand (see: Disney releasing a bad-to-mediocre Star Wars movie every year)

lmao this dude would be against the new Star wars movies. there is a very specific type of weirdo who yells about the new Star wars and it's literally you.

this is actually a p good analog because the star wars grognards who hate the new movies would rather have seen Star Wars stagnate and beat off to EU Mara Jade fanfiction which is apparently what fallout purists want, only with Fallout New Vegas instead of that terrible movie where Vader yells 'nooooo' really funny at the end

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
FNV was ugly sorry grognards

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

FNV was ugly sorry grognards

every fallout game is ugly

except 76, i'll give them that

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I see this thread has progressed from "Complaining about a game that isn't out yet" to "complaining about people complaining about a game that isn't out yet" and "complaining about people complaining about people complaining about a game that isn't out yet", right on schedule.

The beautiful dance of pre-release banter continues, enjoy it while you can we've only got five more months of this.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I see this thread has progressed from "Complaining about a game that isn't out yet" to "complaining about people complaining about a game that isn't out yet" and "complaining about people complaining about people complaining about a game that isn't out yet", right on schedule.

The beautiful dance of pre-release banter continues, enjoy it while you can we've only got five more months of this.
It is a nice change of pace from the usual complaining about a game that has been out for 10 years.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

nothing will top off the pre-release Fallout 4 thread after their E3 reveal

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

every fallout game is ugly

except 76, i'll give them that
would you say that Fallout is ruined

by not being ruined? :hmmyes:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fallout fans. Fallout fans never changes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

would you say that Fallout is ruined

by not being ruined? :hmmyes:

nah, i'd love to play an rpg in a setting of what we've seen of 76's west virginia

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

nah, i'd love to play an rpg in a setting of what we've seen of 76's west virginia

no I was just trying to make a joke

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lmao this dude would be against the new Star wars movies. there is a very specific type of weirdo who yells about the new Star wars and it's literally you.

this is actually a p good analog because the star wars grognards who hate the new movies would rather have seen Star Wars stagnate and beat off to EU Mara Jade fanfiction which is apparently what fallout purists want, only with Fallout New Vegas instead of that terrible movie where Vader yells 'nooooo' really funny at the end

:sigh:

This post is so monumentally dumb that it doesn't even deserve a response, but I don't feel like filling out all this paperwork that I have to do so I'm going to craft one anyway. Suffice to say, I don't give a flying poo poo about Star Wars. I haven't seen Solo, but everything I've read suggests that Star Wars is already showing signs of brand fatigue (last I had heard Solo disappointed somewhat at the box office, the last big Star Wars game was a loot box-filled shitfest, and the Star Wars toys that the brand depends on so heavily are largely sitting unsold on toy store shelves). The same thing could happen to Fallout if Bethesda isn't careful--I actually posted earlier in this thread that I was happy Bethesda bought and resurrected Fallout with a game that I liked (Fallout 3) and that paved the way for what is Objectively the Best Fallout Game (NV). I was also impressed that they didn't just try to ransack the IP with tons of crappy games right away like they could have. Fallout 76 seems like a step away from that, and it's not all that promising after the shitheap that was Fallout 4. Hopefully 76 ends up being good (not all that optimistic) and, if it's bad, they can get back on track with Fallout 5

But seriously, fuckin :laffo: @ u, the White Knight for feeble weak targets like Bethesda and loving Disney

"Someone's saying bad things about Fallout and Star Wars???? Not on my watch :clint: "

Edit: and who/what the gently caress is Mara Jade :confused:

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 14, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

no I was just trying to make a joke

too bad, i'm disarming you with my pleasantness

i will not be riled up by your japery

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
If net code is so hard to put into a game how did it get modded into GTA: San Andreas for the pc so easily?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

frugalmaster posted:

If net code is so hard to put into a game how did it get modded into GTA: San Andreas for the pc so easily?

this is a very simplistic way to describe gtao

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is a very simplistic way to describe gtao

I'm not talking about GTAO. I'm talking about a modded version of the seventh GTA game San Andres called SA-MP that floated around for the long time that had multiplayer way way way before any mainstream versions of a GTA title did.

Edit: looks like there are two of them now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

frugalmaster posted:

I'm not talking about GTAO. I'm talking about a modded version of the seventh GTA game San Andres called SA-MP that floated around for the long time that had multiplayer way way way before any mainstream versions of a GTA title did.

Edit: looks like there are two of them now.

it was a joke about gtao being bad

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
anyone who asks "if netcode is so hard" has lived a blessed life devoid of ever having to deal with netcode

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Your Computer posted:

anyone who asks "if netcode is so hard" has lived a blessed life devoid of ever having to deal with netcode

So was the netcode just sitting in GTA:SA unused?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
When i heard Todd Howard say "The people of fallout:76 will be you, the players".

Am i the only one thinking this is basically "There will be no NPCs", which is a pretty weird way of doing away with the radial responses

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Fargin Icehole posted:

When i heard Todd Howard say "The people of fallout:76 will be you, the players".

Am i the only one thinking this is basically "There will be no NPCs", which is a pretty weird way of doing away with the radial responses

Literally the only one. Thanks for the unique insight!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Popete posted:

I don't understand how people don't get that this isn't a mainline Fallout game. This is a open world survival game set in the Fallout universe, if you don't like those kinda games then don't get this. They'll make another proper Fallout 5 after TES releases. Did anyone actually expect another Fallout so soon and at the same time as a TES game is in development?

Just look at this as not a Fallout game because that's what it is.

People get it. That isn't what they want.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The conversation wheel is still there. Except now it's just god drat loving smiles.

Maybe that's what Fallout 5 will have instead of paraphrased options; a happy face for positive response, a frowny face for a negative response, that thing with a capital letter B and close bracket to denote a sarcastic response and then whatever the gently caress this " ;-o " is supposed to be.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Maybe that's what Fallout 5 will have instead of paraphrased options; a happy face for positive response, a frowny face for a negative response, that thing with a capital letter B and close bracket to denote a sarcastic response and then whatever the gently caress this " ;-o " is supposed to be.

I loving swear someone already made a parody picture of exactly this after the first Fallout 4 E3 footage was discussed and it had the legendary HATE NEWSPAPERS dialogue option

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
as long as there's still a sarcastic option I'll pick it 100% of the time

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The conversation wheel is still there. Except now it's just god drat loving smiles.

Todd's true dream was to just use The Bard's Tale style of Dialogue where you were an agreeable rear end in a top hat or an rear end in a top hat.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I mean what would the point of a conversation wheel be in a world without NPCs? You can probably just type/voice chat with anyone worth interacting with.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

frajaq posted:

I loving swear someone already made a parody picture of exactly this after the first Fallout 4 E3 footage was discussed and it had the legendary HATE NEWSPAPERS dialogue option

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/8qmoj1/leaked_fallout_76_speech_system/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You can probably just type/voice chat with anyone worth interacting with.
that's too obvious. I vote for communication purely via gestures and cryptic messages a-la Dark Souls. "try nuke , skeleton"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Well... that's just sad. But hey! If they remove dialog options and just have your character wildly gesticulate like they're in some silent era movie instead of speaking then there's no reason for Bethesda to go back to a voiced protagonist.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't this whole game really feel like a suit at Bethesda had a meeting asking why one of their biggest IPs didn't have an online installment. Fallout 76 is pretty much the result. A side project/experiment to put out in the interim before Starfield and Elderscrolls VI hit.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there a discord yet so we can yell at each other real time

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think all dialogue options should be handled via emoji in the next Fallout.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Otacon posted:

Literally the only one. Thanks for the unique insight!

Actually i was thinking the only NPC would probably be the overseer, and that will be the only one they could possibly dedicate time to having the traditional conversation tree, despite having this in Fallout 3 i guess

Also calling it now, the overseer is an AI

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Actually i was thinking the only NPC would probably be the overseer, and that will be the only one they could possibly dedicate time to having the traditional conversation tree, despite having this in Fallout 3 i guess

Also calling it now, the overseer is an AI

probaly. also there are humanoid baddy NPCs. super mutants and ghouls survivors that formed a faction. https://pcgamesn.com/fallout-76-scorched

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Doesn't this whole game really feel like a suit at Bethesda had a meeting asking why one of their biggest IPs didn't have an online installment. Fallout 76 is pretty much the result. A side project/experiment to put out in the interim before Starfield and Elderscrolls VI hit.

winner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fallout tactics is a great game