Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Sagebrush posted:

It's because the parking situation in China is so bad that everybody double or triple parks all the time. You leave your phone number on your dashboard so that if you block somebody in, they can call you to come out and move your car when they need to leave.

very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I found a sous vide that looks very similar to the popular Anova sous vide cooker.

It’s actually identical and also has the bluetooth functionality of the Anova, so I’m guessing that, since the Anova originates from a kickstarter project, the chinese company that produced it for them decided to sell it on their own simply without any branding.

This is good news for me because there is no way for me to import the 220v Anova from the US or UK without having to pay at least four times the retail price.

So $89 seems like a good deal for an unbranded Anova

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

KinkyJohn posted:

I found a sous vide that looks very similar to the popular Anova sous vide cooker.

It’s actually identical and also has the bluetooth functionality of the Anova, so I’m guessing that, since the Anova originates from a kickstarter project, the chinese company that produced it for them decided to sell it on their own simply without any branding.

This is good news for me because there is no way for me to import the 220v Anova from the US or UK without having to pay at least four times the retail price.

I wouldn't assume that, and I also wouldn't plug anything from Aliexpress into the mains. Let alone leave it unattended near water for a number of hours.

sandball
Jan 6, 2006
I'd take a look at Monoprice's homebrand offering before I'd buy something like that straight from China.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Sous vide's whole thing is that you need to leave it plugged in and running, submerged in water, for several hours to days at a time. It's half the price, sure, but it's not 1/10th the price. Get the real thing. (it's good)

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 13, 2018

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Sous vide rules, but yeah after bigclive did all those Chinese water heater videos I'm terrified of buying it from Ali. Regular annova is cheap enough and works great, but mind the cord. Mine had a weak connection that required repair in a couple weeks and I wasn't the only one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just turn up the heat so you dont have to wait as long

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Pshhhh don’t worry so much friend, buy the cheap water wand

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sandball posted:

I'd take a look at Monoprice's homebrand offering before I'd buy something like that straight from China.
I also got a cheap one from a local store (Lidl) instead, too. It was just a bit more expensive and had no BT, but it's not really that necessary, I got it the next day, and I feel much better about leaving it chooching for hours.

There's a good chance it's made at the exact same factory but until somebody does a teardown, I wouldn't risk it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Coincidentally, the Anova is on sale at Amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4
I can't speak to how available it is overseas, though.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

It's because the parking situation in China is so bad that everybody double or triple parks all the time. You leave your phone number on your dashboard so that if you block somebody in, they can call you to come out and move your car when they need to leave.

That is very interesting! What a neat little solution

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

KinkyJohn posted:

This is a bad idea. Where are you located? Amazon is everywhere now.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

Coincidentally, the Anova is on sale at Amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4
I can't speak to how available it is overseas, though.

Now the ali one is only $10 cheaper. Get the real one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I also got a cheap one from a local store (Lidl) instead, too. It was just a bit more expensive and had no BT, but it's not really that necessary, I got it the next day, and I feel much better about leaving it chooching for hours.

There's a good chance it's made at the exact same factory but until somebody does a teardown, I wouldn't risk it.

I don't loving understand how Lidl can often make decent stuff for very cheap. Bought a nice bamboo cutting board for 99 SEK (around 12 bucks) and it's been great. Cost 4x that in a "regular" store.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bamboo is a drat weed so it isn't surprising that you can get cheap goods made of it

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

PokeJoe posted:

Bamboo is a drat weed so it isn't surprising that you can get cheap goods made of it

Also bamboo is extremely moisture resistant and firm but not brittle which makes it perfect for a chopping board that will wipe clean, not go gross with juices over time like other softer woods, won't dull your knife like glass ones and won't leave deep bacteria housing cut marks in them like plastic ones.

Also in an interesting week, my little buildable strandbeest arrived, I look forward to putting it together this weekend. It arrived like most things I ordered, between 2-3 weeks after I ordered it (I'm in the UK) impeccably packaged.
In the same week I've had t-shirts I ordered from a Tee company in florida disappear in the mail only to appear just in time to returned to sender back across the loving atlantic, I had some clothes I ordered online be *"delivered to a safe place"* by the courier, there are no safe places where I live, it's a cube with a door that opens onto the sidewalk which means the courier left them by the door and somebody stole them and the slow cooker I ordered off of Amazon on Monday arrived Tuesday with the top of the box dented in and the inner ceramic pot in 7 different pieces. AliExpress is ticking all the boxes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

God I love the full sized ones chillin on the beach living their lives

Please report back after you blow this one a bit

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

Well it's not just cutting boards, a lot of their own branded stuff is very cheap for decent quality. The margins between the manufacturing cost and the retail are pretty crazy so I would guess they do it by cutting out a lot of the middlemen.

Like the sous vide thing in particular is just a $5 water heater and a motor to circulate the water ($2 maybe) hooked up to a PID controller ($10 with BT and WiFi) plus maybe a relay and a thermocouple. So you can hack this together for like $15 using retail prices which are probably 2x of wholesale. Yet the Anova is like $150... so there's quite a bit of wiggle room there.

Anyway, today I got a note in the mail that there's a package waiting at the post office, what could it be? :ohdear:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think a lot of the cost of the Anova is stuff like the warranty and insurance, which are both things you as a consumer probably want them to have in this case

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
A sane guage of wire, solder joints actually being inspected, proper QC... Lots of reasons not to get a device like this from a noname manufacturer.

- heating element
- 220-240V AC
- water immersion

Nope, I don't think I'd spin that particular wheel. I'd buy vibrators or medication off AliExpress before I purchased this...

Edit: on a whim I purchased some lab chems off AliExpress once, the lab tech confirmed that I'd been sent sugar.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Please do not attempt to order fentanyl from AliExpress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Do or do not, there is no try

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think you need to go to Ali Baba to get most pharmaceuticals. There you can contract with a lab to get many things. (I think some of them have been mass speced but I don't know what) I tried a bunch of search terms once when someone mentioned buying drugs on Ali Express, couldn't find anything, and then asked them about it afterwards. They meant to say Ali Baba.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I don't loving understand how Lidl can often make decent stuff for very cheap. Bought a nice bamboo cutting board for 99 SEK (around 12 bucks) and it's been great. Cost 4x that in a "regular" store.

A lot of the stuff they sell is on a yearly loop where they have a decent idea on how well it'll sell and they're fine with things selling out quickly. They can make a bulk order at a discount and then sell everything so there's little overstocking issues.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
My roommate's daughter finally broke open the nail stamping stuff. We could not get it to work with the first scraper i chose to use. The second scraper, one that looks like a credit card, made it work fine though. Anyway, I was looking through stamping plates for myself and discovered this plate.

http://s.aliexpress.com/ueQrIrEz

Thought I'd share since people on SA seem to like tiny foods. Also the plate includes several small pastries. I think you'd probably need them in decal form to get the color gradients shown in the image, though.

Also, the is a "The Cat Returns" nail plate, if anyone wants a link to that. Yes, I am looking up cat nail plates. I am a crazy cat lady. Come at me.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I think a lot of the cost of the Anova is stuff like the warranty and insurance, which are both things you as a consumer probably want them to have in this case

My Anova stopped keeping a consistent temperature a little over a year after I got it and they replaced it no questions asked. New one's been going fine for about 3 years now. Well worth the $0 I paid for it.

Aliexpress is for dumb bullshit.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 14, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

WrenP-Complete posted:

I think you need to go to Ali Baba to get most pharmaceuticals. There you can contract with a lab to get many things. (I think some of them have been mass speced but I don't know what) I tried a bunch of search terms once when someone mentioned buying drugs on Ali Express, couldn't find anything, and then asked them about it afterwards. They meant to say Ali Baba.

A little less than ten years ago, you could find 55 gallon drums of methamphetamine advertised on AliBaba

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

yoloer420 posted:

A sane guage of wire, solder joints actually being inspected, proper QC... Lots of reasons not to get a device like this from a noname manufacturer.

- heating element
- 220-240V AC
- water immersion

Nope, I don't think I'd spin that particular wheel. I'd buy vibrators or medication off AliExpress before I purchased this...

Edit: on a whim I purchased some lab chems off AliExpress once, the lab tech confirmed that I'd been sent sugar.

But would you buy a vibrator with a heating element? How about one that shocks you?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Big Clive actually tried something like that. he recommended against the experience.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
You can actually buy those. BigClive even reviewed one.

E/FB by 3 motherfuckin seconds.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Big Clive actually tried something like that. he recommended against the experience.

Squish posted:

You can actually buy those. BigClive even reviewed one.

E/FB by 3 motherfuckin seconds.

You were both beaten by me already knowing that. Actually technically I think it was a butt plug that didn't vibrate.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my toothpick crossbow arrived today. Its extremely dangerous and I can see why even the chinese version site took it down. 5 stars A+
The listing i bought from is already gone. Too dangerous for China means its really good

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
This is amazing.
http://s.aliexpress.com/i2ayeqIZ
Cockroach pillows.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i need hundreds

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

OH NO

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

This is amazing.
http://s.aliexpress.com/i2ayeqIZ
Cockroach pillows.

how... kafkaesque

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Code Jockey posted:

how... kafkaesque

more like kafka erotic fanfiction

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm getting Naked Lunch flashbacks :barf:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
HUMANS Y U DO THIS TO ME, A DOG.

Female Dog Shorts Puppy Physiological Pants Diaper Pet Underwear For Small Meidium Girl Dogs
http://s.aliexpress.com/NBviiuM7

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cant have your girl dog parts just hanging out