Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
felinelvr
Mar 8, 2007

Thus quote the raven! Beautiful birds and like almost any other animal, find them when they are babies. Treat them right and they will for sure give their love back to you. I feed two in my backyard. They come when called, let me pet and love on them. They fly away but always come back here. Beautiful!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lupin posted:

Canuck, a cool crow, waiting for his buddy to open the door in the morning

People tend not to know this, but it's true

Oh my God he's gorgeous :swoon:

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Phy posted:

I don't know about crows specifically but some birds do like to get drunk. When I was a kid our house had a tree with berries that would ripen and ferment before they fell off, and every fall we'd get a yard full of blotto robins stumbling around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSM3x9G7eTQ

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
That magpie is considering mugging you. Glad to see that he thought you not worth his time.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Lime Tonics posted:

Crow update,

the one in the bush by the birdbath owns the yard now.

it chases away the rabbits and eats the snakes.

it poo poo on my rhubarb plants though.

so im skeptical.

It's fertilizing them for you. What a guy.

naem
May 29, 2011

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

Tace Vim posted:

glad a I took a walk home from the city today as I bumped into this little guy eating insects from a roadside garden. I stopped nearby and he walked up to me and seemed curious, probably thinking I had snacks in my bag (only new pants sorry pal).

Is that a snack in your bag or are you just happy to see me

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
*reads title*

Yeah

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
I really want to get a tattoo of this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
crowmartie high school

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Corvids are cool.
There's some crows that could be chilling out on powerlines or proper trees but they like balancing on the fence or juniper tree to have a gawk at me for fun and they make a game of balancing on tiny juniper branches. Also there's aussie magpies that come by very day with their adolescents to check the grass for bugs and other edibles.

At my old house I found a crow with broken wings or something and I did everything I could to help. It was hiding behind plant pots and a potting bench but I know I'd be hosed if the other crows saw me not helping. Ended up taking it to a vet, as vets are supposed to treat native animals here at no charge (they probably killed it after I left).

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Jesus Christ posted:

I really want to get a tattoo of this

That is a great-tailed grackle. They love HEB.
They are not corvids, which surprised me since the common grackles in Tennessee obviously had conversations about the strays I fed. I could actually tell where one was in my neighborhood by listening to where the grackle chatter was coming from.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 11, 2018

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I read an article that said Aussie magpies can actually hear grubs in the soil to locate them.

They do a decent job removing lawn pests for me

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kharnifex posted:

I read an article that said Aussie magpies can actually hear grubs in the soil to locate them.

They do a decent job removing lawn pests for me

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
'bout once a week I catch 3 or 4 crows fighting a red tail hawk. The crows always win

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I really want that shirt

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

naem posted:

Pidegeons are incredibly dumb, like a 1. They aren't evil or bad or anything just, there's not much going on in there. just a flapping pecking machine

Pigeons may not be particularly bright otherwise, but they can pass the mirror test.

e: having read what training was required to get the pigeons to even be able to take the test in a useable manner, and noting some of the animals that don't pass it (like the otherwise incredibly clever New Caldeonian crow and gray parrot) it's pretty clear to me that the mirror test is by no means a great indicator of animal intelligence

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 12, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

dadrips posted:

crows and all corvids are the best. I really like Australian magpies, they sound like wee robot dinosaurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4qZ_lgStw

*extremely nerd voice* i'm sorry but Australian magpies are only corvOIDs, not corvids

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Trig Discipline posted:

*extremely nerd voice* i'm sorry but Australian magpies are only corvOIDs, not corvids

I still say they should be allowed in this good bird thread.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
plz dont birdshame

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Trig Discipline posted:

no true squawksman

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Aussie magpies are seriously my favorite bird, corvids or not. In addition to being crazy smart and having voices like R2D2 trying to get his theremin recalibrated, they are responsible for one of my favorite bird pics of all time.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Owns.

I was whistling with a Maggie yesterday. It's always so fun when you hear them belt out a tune, you reply, they reply, you reply, they don't reply because they've realised that you're an idiot who doesn't know what they're saying.

If I ever get a house in the burbs I'm gonna do my best to get a Maggie population. There are worse things than lazy days in bed listening to a Maggie choir.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

If I ever get a house in the burbs I'm gonna do my best to get a Maggie population. There are worse things than lazy days in bed listening to a Maggie choir.

One of the really interesting things about Aussie birds is how strong a delineation between city birds and country birds there is. I lived in a very jungle-y suburb just a few km north of Woy Woy for three years, and it was really interesting how distinct the communities of birds near our house and those in town were. Around our house we had lyrebirds, bowerbirds, whipbirds, and a bunch of others that we never saw in town at all. And yet, strangely enough, I don't think I ever saw a single magpie around our house. The community just completely turned over on a scale of a few km. As a biologist I know that stuff happens, but it's still such a stark contrast when you see it in person.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

My gf is from new Zealand and she said the morning birdsong in Australia is like industrial machinery in comparison to kiwi land.

loving love Magpie and currawong warbling noises.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
A good point TD. On reflection, I have had a greater variety of birds away from the city, and usually not magpies.

One of the places I lived had a colony of black cockatoos that lived directly above the house in some nutty-seedy tree they loved, and no matter where they ranged, they always came back within the week. :allears: :shepicide:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I have crow allies here - DC. They sort of adopted me two years ago. They make the sound of a rubber ball hitting a pavement when they see me. I can't really make that noise, so I say "bonk!" when I want to interact. I give them weird bugs I find while gardening, occasional nuts or fruit left over. They leave me shiny presents - beads and coins, sometimes a soda top.

Last year they brought their two adolescents to meet me. Crows raise their youth for a year and a half. I think the awkward youth have moved on now to join crow gangs for the next little while.

I saw them just the other day and gave them silverfish I had found, but I didn't get pictures.

naem
May 29, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

I have crow allies here - DC. They sort of adopted me two years ago. They make the sound of a rubber ball hitting a pavement when they see me. I can't really make that noise, so I say "bonk!" when I want to interact. I give them weird bugs I find while gardening, occasional nuts or fruit left over. They leave me shiny presents - beads and coins, sometimes a soda top.

Last year they brought their two adolescents to meet me. Crows raise their youth for a year and a half. I think the awkward youth have moved on now to join crow gangs for the next little while.

I saw them just the other day and gave them silverfish I had found, but I didn't get pictures.

You're a Disney princess

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

naem posted:

You're a Disney princess

Where all the sweaty, masculine dwarves at?

naem
May 29, 2011

I haven't been drawing :(

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

naem posted:

I haven't been drawing :(

Yknow what if you draw a crow working a lovely desk job with a tin of sardines and a coffee mug that says "#1 Dad", I'll donate to lowtax (and be grateful to you and poo poo)

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Though Australian crows, ravens, magpies, jays and butcherbirds aren't corvids they are all still awesome.

If an Aussie magpie likes you they will introduce their kids to you so they know your cool too.

Spike Milligan said of the Australian Forest Raven that its the only bird to be terrified of flying which is why they screech "Faaaark" as they fly.

The Australian Jay (or Currawong) knows when it is apple season in Tasmania and they then drop apples in barrels of water, wait till they are fermented then get wasted on bathtub cider.

Cinaedus Defututus
Mar 21, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
are pigeons good birds? i have a bunch of pigeons who show up to my apartment balcony and have established a nest there and they've been making GBS threads all over the place. i can now mine my balcony for pigeon guano.

i just want to jump off and end it but i aint getting my feet in all that years old crusty guano.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Cinaedus Defututus posted:

are pigeons good birds? i have a bunch of pigeons who show up to my apartment balcony and have established a nest there and they've been making GBS threads all over the place. i can now mine my balcony for pigeon guano.

i just want to jump off and end it but i aint getting my feet in all that years old crusty guano.

They're filthy flying rats op

naem
May 29, 2011

indyrenegade posted:

Yknow what if you draw a crow working a lovely desk job with a tin of sardines and a coffee mug that says "#1 Dad", I'll donate to lowtax (and be grateful to you and poo poo)

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I've been feeding a posse of crows who hang out by my bus stop. I'm at the point where if I see them at a distance, I'll wave and they'll fly over. It feels pretty badass to summon a bird

It always makes me sad that there's not really two way communication though. One day my crow buds flew over to me but instead of eating the nuts I tossed them, they puffed up and marched around making cool and tough crow noises. I felt like I was being treated to a little crow military parade, but who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How the gently caress do you draw like this

My drawing skills pretty much peaked in 1st grade

• Locked thread