Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

So is Velocity / Motor Trend paying them more than they expect to earn from actual App subscribers in the US? I guess?

I could go dig up the numbers but the WEC survey that was taken last year/published this winter showed that the average age of WEC demographic in the US skewed *ahem* older and a bit more moneyed than other regions, so they probably thought this was a move that wouldn't harm things too much.

Having a cable deal is one thing but allowing that to completely nuke your own streaming product in the U.S. is a horrible, horrible decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Cable dying is great but it's a double edged sword.

Streaming services per sport run by the sport are expensive as gently caress. Just add up all the season passes and you'll easily end up spending like $400 EXTRA instead of just a regular cable subscription easily.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wirth1000 posted:

Streaming services per sport run by the sport are expensive as gently caress. Just add up all the season passes and you'll easily end up spending like $400 EXTRA instead of just a regular cable subscription easily.

Maybe streaming services will start to bundle up and start selling streaming rights to broadcasters...

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
one of the PS Vue packages has velocity, if you wanna grab it for a month. It's a pretty good service if you don't want cable.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wirth1000 posted:

the cheapest i can get cable where i live is 110 dollars a month because they force it into bundles. wec season pass is ~40 dollars a year.

i don't watch anywhere near enough sports, or anything else, that i think i'd come anywhere close to the 1300 dollars i'd be paying yearly for cable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

It adds up if you watch like every single sport, maybe, but you're usually also paying to have no ads, no blackouts, and tons of extra content on demand.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Cable in the U.S. to get ESPN and other sports channels is minimum $45-50 a month, and while that usually includes a login to get access to streaming platforms, I pay for DAZN (which is in Japan, Canada and Austria at the moment I think) which is ~$15 a month for live and streaming of soccer, baseball, motorsports, and plenty more. It doesn't have every sport I want, or every racing series, but it has F1 (and is why the new F1 OTT service isn't offered in Japan right now) and enough of what I do watch regularly.

like wicka said, unless you want to build your own ESPN out of full streaming services, it comes out much cheaper.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I want to build my own ESPN out of full streaming services.

W-w-w-wwelpppp

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Eurosport Player is £40 for a year and they have WEC as well as a bunch of other racing stuff.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

use illegal streams ya idjits

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Spectrum just started offering ala carte cable where you pick any 10 channels for $21.99 a month. 3 or 4 years ago I dropped cable and just have internet otherwise I'd consider it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

njsykora posted:

Eurosport Player is £40 for a year and they have WEC as well as a bunch of other racing stuff.

And you can just buy a month of it for a few bucks too. Works fine via VPN.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Basticle posted:

Spectrum just started offering ala carte cable where you pick any 10 channels for $21.99 a month. 3 or 4 years ago I dropped cable and just have internet otherwise I'd consider it.

Christ I wish Xfinity would do this

NBCSN
NESN
ESPN1&2
FS1-3
CBSSN
Velocity
Science

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I pay $35/mo for directvnow and it has velocity/owns

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Nah. Support things that are good and well priced. The WEC season pass is $50, and includes two Le Mans, that’s perfectly fine.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

Nah. Support things that are good and well priced. The WEC season pass is $50, and includes two Le Mans, that’s perfectly fine.

uhh did you miss the part where le mans is region blocked in the united states :psyduck:

like, i want to support them, they just won't fuckin let me

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

uhh did you miss the part where le mans is region blocked in the united states :psyduck:

to be fair, i'm in the us and just bought it through vpn

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

to be fair, i'm in the us and just bought it through vpn

And now to see if the VPN doesn't get sniffed out. Would really suck for you guys. I'll unfortunately miss good section of the race due to work. I'll probably sleep but have the race on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Forgot to add *if available in your market. I’m not that dense.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Not a great start for Ginetta. #5 stopped at the Forest Esses with an electrical gremlin on its out lap.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I like the joker lap in the Porsche curves :downs:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

Forgot to add *if available in your market. I’m not that dense.

considering the entire conversation was centered around finding alternative ways to watch the 24 hours of le mans since wec blocked the stream in the united states, i'd argue that you may in fact be that dense.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Quali is live and it took less than 10 minutes for a Porsche to bin it.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Is the 919 showcar doing any laps here this week?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 13, 2018

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Car 8 just had a BUNCH of laps deleted for excessive fuel usage

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

what the fuuuuuck

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Basticle posted:

Is the 919 showcar doing any laps here this week?

That would be more than a little tasteless. “Hey guys, sorry we took our ball and went home, leaving only one factory P1 team, but do you mind if we showboat a bit before the race we’re not racing in?”

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
That felt like a messy qualifying.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

drgitlin posted:

That would be more than a little tasteless. “Hey guys, sorry we took our ball and went home, leaving only one factory P1 team, but do you mind if we showboat a bit before the race we’re not racing in?”

How is that any different from the world tour theyr'e doing? Its not like they could do a run at Le Sarthe any other week of the year.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Basticle posted:

How is that any different from the world tour theyr'e doing? Its not like they could do a run at Le Sarthe any other week of the year.

They’re not showing up at other WEC events, so I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the ACO owns the track and is surely still pouting about how they ruined their own top class (again), so i doubt they would be interested in letting that happen

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Plus the last thing they want is someone going around the track in 3:05 or god forbid a sub-three minute lap. They tried to cap laptimes to 3:30 not so long ago, although that worked badly :D

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Plus the last thing they want is someone going around the track in 3:05 or god forbid a sub-three minute lap. They tried to cap laptimes to 3:30 not so long ago, although that worked badly :D

What do you mean, none of the GTE Pros has gotten even close to 3:30 yet!

...oh that was the target for LMP1? Ah. Uh. Huh. About that.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
As we know (or don't, probably) Le Mans will be live on the Velocity network in the U.S. this year. Turns out that later this year, the network will get rebranded to the Motor Trend Network. When I found this out I hopped over to the Motor Trend On Demand website and discovered something quite nice:

Live 24/7 24/1 in-car streaming, baby! Might be a good time to sign up for the free trial.

Also, it seems as if Velocity/Motor Trend Network is aiming to be Speedvision 2.0. Before Motor Trend tookover the streaming website, Torque.tv at the time, they specifically stated this was their aim.

So if you're wondering why Velocity has the rights to Le Mans, this is why.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

WindyMan posted:

As we know (or don't, probably) Le Mans will be live on the Velocity network in the U.S. this year. Turns out that later this year, the network will get rebranded to the Motor Trend Network. When I found this out I hopped over to the Motor Trend On Demand website and discovered something quite nice:

Live 24/7 24/1 in-car streaming, baby! Might be a good time to sign up for the free trial.

Also, it seems as if Velocity/Motor Trend Network is aiming to be Speedvision 2.0. Before Motor Trend tookover the streaming website, Torque.tv at the time, they specifically stated this was their aim.

So if you're wondering why Velocity has the rights to Le Mans, this is why.

Have they finally added WEC replays to the site? Because they hadn’t last time I looked. :(

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My friend told me last night that his dad calls him all the time saying "you gotta turn on Velocity, they're doing [something silly car related]" so they are apparently nailing it with their target demographic.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm still laughing pretty hard that the 2018/2019 WEC rulebook basically guarantees Toyota a win every race weekend unless they gently caress up horribly and bin it, or their cars spontaneously combust.

"All competitors and manufacturers that deliberately provided misinformation, tried to influence the EoT [Equivolence of Technology] process, or whose level of performance is higher than the expected result may be sanctioned with a penalty before, during, or after a race."

Basically means that they expect the hybrid prototype to be much faster and if any of the conventional prototypes are closer than a certain interval per lap slower than hybrid, they will be penalized in-race with a stop and hold penalty, and/or penalty laps will be assessed at the end of the race.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

orange juche posted:

I'm still laughing pretty hard that the 2018/2019 WEC rulebook basically guarantees Toyota a win every race weekend unless they gently caress up horribly and bin it, or their cars spontaneously combust.

Again, this isn't entirely WEC's fault.
Porsche withdrew from WEC after the period in which the ACO could unilaterally change the rules, meaning Toyota had a veto on what rules could and could not be changed and how much they could be changed by. That they changed at all staggers me, and suggests Toyota might actually be in this for more than just the super season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The race for the overall is won, if Toyota are reliable. Toyota have only run 2 trouble free cars at Le Mans, out of the 13 they've brought. There's still a race to be had here.