Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alter Ego posted:

Would have expected them to be angrier that there's a female protagonist option.

Wouldn't know it by the box art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The AC games always look so beautiful but I'm terrible at stealth games so I don't bother with them. My background is in history and it looks like it would be fun to roam through the environments. I'd like a whole game that's just exploring an ancient city, no need for sword swinging.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Dick Trauma posted:

The AC games always look so beautiful but I'm terrible at stealth games so I don't bother with them. My background is in history and it looks like it would be fun to roam through the environments. I'd like a whole game that's just exploring an ancient city, no need for sword swinging.

Stealth is a tool rather than a focus, ha. Even the stealthiest games can be brute forced.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh and in one of the livestream clips they are driving the ship around and you see a shark pass just underneath a wave and disappear and I am super stoked to see oceans in an AC game again because Black Flag had some of the best ocean rendering in AAA gaming.

:spergin:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

Origins has (and I'm guessing this one will have) a "Discovery Mode," which is just exploring + audio tours. It's pretty neat.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lobok posted:

Wouldn't know it by the box art!

Yeah, that is odd--even Evie was on the Syndicate box art. Then again, Syndicate featured a universe where Jacob and Evie both existed.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

wyoak posted:

Origins has (and I'm guessing this one will have) a "Discovery Mode," which is just exploring + audio tours. It's pretty neat.

Oh really now? :stonklol:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dick Trauma posted:

assassins creed hasn't really been a stealth game since, like, ac3

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would barely describe origins as a stealth game; I can’t remember if any of the missions force you to be stealthy but I don’t remember ever being frustrated by it. Everything else in the game can be safely brute forced and if you drop the difficulty down, everything pretty much melts at the touch of your blade, I wouldn’t let anything dissuade you from playing it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank you all for the info. Put it in my wishlist for when there's a sale. I watched a video about Discovery mode and it looked amazing!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Finally got around to watching some videos of Odyssey and drat, I didn't realize they're basically just making Assassin's Creed into a straight-up RPG now. I mean, Origins was kinda like that already, but here you have dialog trees and everything!

I like this direction a lot.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I would barely describe origins as a stealth game; I can’t remember if any of the missions force you to be stealthy but I don’t remember ever being frustrated by it. Everything else in the game can be safely brute forced and if you drop the difficulty down, everything pretty much melts at the touch of your blade, I wouldn’t let anything dissuade you from playing it

Origins is a "stride straight through the main gates of enemy fortress and straight up murder everybody" game or at least that's how I played it.

Stealth has been optional in Assasins Creed since they entirely dropped the annoying as gently caress "tail the enemy within the circle and don't get detected" missions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not even really too annoyed at a lack of stealth focus in Assassin's Creed games. The historical Assassins killed people in really obvious, public ways on purpose as an intimidation tactic. The big difference in Assassin's Creed as a game is that your assassin generally survives doing that :v:

I did a good amount of sneaking in bases in Origins, but really just because I enjoyed doing it more than I enjoyed a storm-the-castle approach.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wrong thread

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, that is odd--even Evie was on the Syndicate box art. Then again, Syndicate featured a universe where Jacob and Evie both existed.

Disappointed but not surprised. Like Mass Effect only ever having MaleShep.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I'm not even really too annoyed at a lack of stealth focus in Assassin's Creed games. The historical Assassins killed people in really obvious, public ways on purpose as an intimidation tactic. The big difference in Assassin's Creed as a game is that your assassin generally survives doing that :v:

I did a good amount of sneaking in bases in Origins, but really just because I enjoyed doing it more than I enjoyed a storm-the-castle approach.

Apparently in this game you don't even have to always kill your target, just intimidate them to pay or straight up steal the thing they stole from you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Apparently in this game you don't even have to always kill your target, just intimidate them to pay or straight up steal the thing they stole from you.

Oh poo poo, really? That's pretty fascinating. I wasn't expecting a "spare the target" option, but hey, the Assassins don't exist yet

I wonder if it's possible to do a 100% pacifist playthrough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think Eurogamer mentioned this in one of their "15 ways Odyssey is like an RPG" videos.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Gamespot livestream is going to have AC:Yogurt on in ~10 minutes and is doing Cyberpunk after that! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arY6lepNdzU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Gamespot livestream is going to have AC:Yogurt on in ~10 minutes and is doing Cyberpunk after that! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arY6lepNdzU

I find myself wishing that "Yogurt" was the recorded codename for the Odyssey project.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"People question everything, Socrates a bit of the pain in the rear end..."

You don't say.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Almighty Boot is powerful in this stream.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I believe this takes palace during the time Athens said to themselves; why is everyone just fighting set piece battles to decide who wins wars, let's discover sieges and ambushes and actually look to hurt our foe. Spartan side goes hey that's not how you are supposed to be playing this!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I hope they have Trials of the Gods in this and I really hope one of them is a trireme fight against Poseidon.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I hope they have Trials of the Gods in this and I really hope one of them is a trireme fight against Poseidon.
Kratos already killed him.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy poo poo.
Yes.
YES.

You've made me excited for something that won't happen, you gently caress.

Maybe it could be a kraken too?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Scylla and Charybdis would be more thematically appropriate.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Macaroni posted:

Kratos already killed him.

The best use of L3+R3 ever in gaming.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Deakul posted:

Holy poo poo.
Yes.
YES.

You've made me excited for something that won't happen, you gently caress.

Maybe it could be a kraken too?

I wouldn't be so sure it won't happen. It was the first thing that popped into my head when I thought about what trials of the Gods they could do and it seems an obvious choice.

Here's some game footage of a guy just screwing around and holy poo poo this looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ8O-rMhOQQ

This one has ship combat. You throw spears at a bireme and it explodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72Z7FiGPkc

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 14, 2018

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

"Malaka" within the first 3 minutes

10/10 GOTY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This game went from zero to super omega hype over the course of like three days. October can't get here fast enough! :f5:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"Alexios" and "Kassandros" are both variants of Alexander...

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Wish the game was set 100 years later so there would have been hella Alexander The Great missions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

When I saw the character names I initially thought Ubi was gonna pull some "the player character was actually Alexander the Great" reveal but that's at least a hundred years off from the Peloponnesian War. I guess they could still pull that out of their asses with Leonidas' Spear being a first civilization artifact or w/e.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Before Origins came out I really wanted Assassin's Creed to take a hard turn towards stealth and focus on really advanced crowd stealth with less of a focus on being a one-person army who can kill dozens of dudes in a direct fight. I was very skeptical of this RPG direction.

Boy was I wrong

AC was never a good stealth game and I'm glad they decided to lean in to what people actually want: to roleplay in lovingly-recreated historical fiction settings

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Ubisoft very intelligently saw that both Bioware and CDPR were moving away from their traditional RPG offerings and positioned Assassin's Creed to be exactly that kind of game for those of us disappointed in the direction Bioware has been taking lately.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This one has ship combat. You throw spears at a bireme and it explodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72Z7FiGPkc

Oh poo poo, you can go back and forth between boarding mode and commanding your ship mode, that's cool as hell

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
it's asscreed tradition to start with an unfinished game and then blow everyone away with the followup. i guess i just didnt realize that's what was happening with origins too

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hello I'm the guy interested in an rear end Creed in a long while because it's gonna be an RPG now

Is there a write up about the RPG aspects of it so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

frajaq posted:

hello I'm the guy interested in an rear end Creed in a long while because it's gonna be an RPG now

Is there a write up about the RPG aspects of it so far?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R62H3xqL3w

Also, when you kick bad guys off the boats they can get eaten by sharks!