Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I still think Disney will probably win out here, because Iger is probably willing to up the ante and because stock is a better long-term investment than cash.

They're easily the lesser of the two evils here, simply by virtue of not owning the pipes (cable providers, ISPs) for distributing content. Anything that entails the pipe owners getting even more control of the content they carry than they already have is a very bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen anyone yet misguidedly cheering on Comcast for stepping up to "stop the Disney monopoly" or whatever, but I am sure they will be along soon. :v:

(Honestly, I'm not disputing that it's absolutely a bad thing for consumers and businesses alike when a sector or industry becomes split between a tiny number of competitors - I studied competition law - but sometimes I feel like some folks can't see past the Marvel and the Star Wars.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen anyone yet misguidedly cheering on Comcast for stepping up to "stop the Disney monopoly" or whatever, but I am sure they will be along soon. :v:

Head over to CD for that horrible take.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'll take whatever lets 20th Century Fox/Fox Searchlight to continue as an autonomous movie studio.

That's not on the table at all.

Wheat Loaf posted:

(Honestly, I'm not disputing that it's absolutely a bad thing for consumers and businesses alike when a sector or industry becomes split between a tiny number of competitors - I studied competition law - but sometimes I feel like some folks can't see past the Marvel and the Star Wars.)

You know Comcast owns Universal Studios right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

You know Comcast owns Universal Studios right?

I do indeed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That's not on the table at all.

Why not? Disney could totally use a branch to put out drama/arthouse movies.
e: and Deadpool sequels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Disney's not exactly known for hands off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Disney's not exactly known for hands off.

They are with Marvel and Pixar. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

They had one and sold it since that's not what they want to focus on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

And more relevant to what Fox Movies could be for 'em, Miramax.

Goofy did have a small cameo in every Tarantino film of the period, but that was about it.

edit: Whatever their superhero movie output, they're an historic, still-reputable brand. I dunno what reason an owner would have not to exploit that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 13, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Disney or Comcast succeeding would be bad.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody who can buy it isn’t evil.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody who can buy it isn’t evil.

That is correct.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Giant media conglomerations are dystopian enough, I don’t need one run by loving Comcast on top of everything else

Exactly.

I feel that Comcast is magnitudes worse than The Mouse. At least Disney only really fucks up copyright law (though they've really, really hosed it up). Comcast is actively loving with the largest information marketplace humankind has ever known.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, Disney is just straightforward capitalist evil. Comcast is actively trying to destroy internet access.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You guys are lying to yourselves. Disney has workers who are starving and homeless. They're both horrific and quibbling over degrees so you can feel better about one is cowardly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Whoever wins I want my Alien Covenant follow up.

Then you can burn it all down.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dan Didio posted:

You guys are lying to yourselves. Disney has workers who are starving and homeless. They're both horrific and quibbling over degrees so you can feel better about one is cowardly.
This sounds like both-sidesism dressed up in the veneer of advocacy. People were talking specifically about the ways that one specific company is doing something worse, and more directly impactful to us personally, than another company is. Both entities can be criticized on different merits while still acknowledging that one is absolutely worse than the other, whether based on empirical data or simply the fact that one of them is currently pissing us off more than the other to an immeasurable degree.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I want Disney to win so the Alien Queen can become a Disney Princess and her and her boys can be in the next Kingdom Hearts.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I can agree with the dubious nature of media consolidation and I can agree that generally, exploitation of workers in the third world is what a lot of companies engage in (I assume that's what is being alluded to, and not something more specific) and is bad. But the former doesn't link to the latter, Disney buying Fox doesn't mean X-men will cast sweatshop workers, so throwing it in to invalidate the comparison just sounds kinda random.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Don't talk about morality or make comparisons based on it if your only frame of reference or base of knowledge is personal inconvenience.

Fangz posted:

I can agree with the dubious nature of media consolidation and I can agree that generally, exploitation of workers in the third world is what a lot of companies engage in (I assume that's what is being alluded to, and not something more specific) and is bad. But the former doesn't link to the latter, Disney buying Fox doesn't mean X-men will cast sweatshop workers, so throwing it in to invalidate the comparison just sounds kinda random.

If you're talking about two entities and comparing them morally, bringing up the evil one of the entities has done is 'random'? lol

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

So Joaquin Phoenix is to play the Joker in Scorsese’s film. It’s been confirmed today so that’s a thing...

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm seein' double...! Four terrible joker movies in pre-production!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

Don't talk about morality or make comparisons based on it if your only frame of reference or base of knowledge is personal inconvenience.

If you're talking about two entities and comparing them morally, bringing up the evil one of the entities has done is 'random'? lol

There are only two realistic outcomes here, Fox is being bought by Disney or Comcast with effectively 100% certainty. Why are you upset that people are cheering the lesser of two evils?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There is no 'lesser' between those two evils.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

lmao 'cheering' the lesser of two evils

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dan Didio posted:

The company that owns the content pipes buying the content is worse

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The company that owns the content pipes buying the content is worse

I disagree. I think it's impossible to quantify misery and human suffering in the abstract and compare it to one horrific policy position as if they have numeric values.

Even if we did agree that Comcast's horrific plans are somehow quantifiably 'worse', I don't really think it makes meaningfully makes Disney 'the lesser of two evils' in material terms.

If anything, COmcast's internet stuff is way closer to the banal, ordinary capitalist evil that someone upthread cited as being the domain of Disney than the actual human misery both have caused.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 14, 2018

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Doesn't Marvel/Disney get the X-men and FF back regardless of who buys fox?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

Disney's biggest staffing issue as of late (which is to say a half decade ago) was laying off 250 well paid IT positions and abusing the visa system to replace them cheaply.

Comcast only last year stopped outsourcing stateside call centers, most of which employed at least half that many people at a tiny fraction of the pay. These are people most likely living paycheck to paycheck or drat near it, and they hosed over tens of thousands of them without a second thought. gently caress, in the Central Florida area (the area most affected by Disney's layoffs) more people have been laid off by Comcast in the past decade than Disney.

If you really think that Disney and Comcast are on the same field or even playing the same game you're totally deluded.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In any event, it seems odd to "cheer on" the parties in some corporate merger like they're sports teams.

Unless you're a lawyer for one of them, I suppose.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Plastik posted:

Disney's biggest staffing issue as of late (which is to say a half decade ago)

lol

'deluded'

Wheat Loaf posted:

In any event, it seems odd to "cheer on" the parties in some corporate merger like they're sports teams.

Unless you're a lawyer for one of them, I suppose.

It's disturbing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If you defend either of these corporations, comparatively, or in the minute, you are really, truly capable of some next level poo poo, I don't know what to tell you.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

You're fighting a lost battle. The people who worked for Comcast in the U.S. in customer care are all unemployed. They have few marketable skills and due to the nature of call centers (they only exist where land and labor are cheap) they have no mobility and no opportunity. When call centers leave regions they tend to collapse.

Disney pays its employees less than you'd like, that's the long and short of your pdf. But Disney pays employees at both its U.S. parks more than the average hourly retail employee in the regions they're in. Disneyworld beats Publix for gently caress's sake. It sure is unfortunate that Disneyland is in an expensive metro area, and it sure is unfortunate that unskilled labor tends to suffer in expensive metro areas yeah. But at least their employers aren't unemployed in a flyover state they can't afford to leave. That's where Comcast's former employees are. Equating that two situations is asinine.

I never said they're good, I said they're better than Comcast. That's not a high bar to clear, and they do it by a gigantic margin.

Dan Didio posted:

If you defend either of these corporations, comparatively, or in the minute, you are really, truly capable of some next level poo poo, I don't know what to tell you.

And the other side of the same page, if you don't recognize that one is objectively better than the other in nearly every way then you're the kind of worthless obstructionist absolutist that makes it so easy for people to dismiss social movements as disingenuous goalpost-moving malcontents. You're actively cancerous to the type of change you're pretending to try to elicit.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 14, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dan Didio posted:

And Disney losing the Fox acquisition to Comcast will alleviate any of their personnel problems whatsoever...how, precisely?

This is why no one is playing your little blame games, here. We are talking about a specific corporate issue where one outcome is quantifiably, outstandingly preferable to the other and you keep going off about how people aren't angry enough about workplace corruption. If your one and only goal is to spread awareness of these issues, great. And afterwards, everyone is still going to hope that Disney beats out Comcast, for reasons they've already explained, because those reasons have nothing to do with them being unaware of Disney's issues.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

BrianWilly posted:

So, speaking of which.
https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/1006884175532740608
How will it fit into continuity considering present day Diana was still moping about him in WW and in JL? Well. Y'know. It's really quite simple because what happens is [train rolls by in background, drowning out sounds]

Also, this I guess.
https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/1006887729618194432

Looks like there is indeed some big brother theme going on. Do we know anything about the plot? I know I saw something about Cheetah, but I think it's a great opportunity for them to introduce OMAC.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Ok, so now we're evil for having a preference... and comparison between evil entities can't be made so we're all equally evil.... can we go back to hoping our favorite movie properties don't go to the the company that doesn't want us to have nice things? I mean now that we're all wageslaver sadists itt?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Plastik posted:

Disney pays its employees less than you'd like, that's the long and short of your pdf.

You're talking about starving children, lmao.

BrianWilly posted:

This is why no one is playing your little blame games, here.

Quote where I blamed anyone other than Disney or Comcast, please.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Me, as I slip on my Princess Belle outfit, rip out an infected tooth with a pair of pliers and push past my screaming, starving child: HEy, think about how this would be slightly worse if i'd worked for comcast. buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chill Penguin posted:

Looks like there is indeed some big brother theme going on. Do we know anything about the plot? I know I saw something about Cheetah, but I think it's a great opportunity for them to introduce OMAC.

Cheetah's going to be in it and it takes place in 1984. That's all we know right now.

• Locked thread