Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

it is if you have music on your computer that you want on your phone
p sure like 99% of people today use spotify instead of downloadable mp3s, and that guy's specifically looking for a tablet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

he doubled down

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why? I prefer the Android environment and I'm not a fan of Apple. I don't see what's so laughable about that. For the record, I also hate to give Comcast, my state, and the federal government money as well

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

he doubled down

"why do people laugh at me for choosing android? they must not know that i can emulate the original ffv rom on it.

by the way taxation is theft"

anroid

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

infernal machines posted:

it is if you have music on your computer that you want on your phone

avoid at all costs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
he seems lovely

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
my nexus 6p (now two years old) has decided that the lower 25% of the battery no longer exists and will suddenly decide it's had enough of life and shut off, showing a "Battery is low: 0%" warning for about one second. cool.

jit bull transpile posted:

I'm on my third rma. All the googling I've done shows it seems to be random. Some devices will be fine and some will just randomly get hosed by an update.

I'm actually super careful with my phone and it is always either in my purse or flat on a table. I barely have anything installed either. None of the usual custom launchers or whatever that dypers gently caress their phones with

my roommate's first pixel had all sorts of issues, up to and including the audio not working at all, as well as random reboots. the second one (after an rma) restarts on its own for no obvious reason.

project fi is the only good thing about anroid and even then only if you don't use much data

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

p sure like 99% of people today use spotify instead of downloadable mp3s, and that guy's specifically looking for a tablet

also you can use plex or something like that to stream off your computer

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

syscall girl posted:

also you can use plex or something like that to stream off your computer

or itunes match or whatever the gently caress it's called

literally can't remember the last time i plugged any iphone into a computer, my 4s maybe? p sure by the time the 5s came out there was no need any longer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i downloaded the itunes installer once because it has a bundled iphone driver that allows me to do usb tethering, but it doesn't require itunes to be installed. since then they've moved itunes on windows to the windows store lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zamujasa posted:

my nexus 6p (now two years old) has decided that the lower 25% of the battery no longer exists and will suddenly decide it's had enough of life and shut off, showing a "Battery is low: 0%" warning for about one second. cool.

my roommate's first pixel had all sorts of issues, up to and including the audio not working at all, as well as random reboots. the second one (after an rma) restarts on its own for no obvious reason.

project fi is the only good thing about anroid and even then only if you don't use much data

Yeah, fi is why I'm on a pixel, but fi is just t-mobile 90 percent of the time so I might as well use my phat discount on a nice iPhone and switch to tmo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

project fi is kind of funny. the 2 use cases I've ever heard for it are "im really poor and know how to watch my data usage", and "i travel outside the US all the time for work and now i don't need to juggle phones or SIM cards or pay for international packages"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

project fi is kind of funny. the 2 use cases I've ever heard for it are "im really poor and know how to watch my data usage", and "i travel outside the US all the time for work and now i don't need to juggle phones or SIM cards or pay for international packages"

Yeah, it was amazing during my month long sabbatical across Europe. Every time I got off the train there was a little notification saying "welcome to (country), your rates are exactly the same".

But that's the only time I've ever left the US so it's just not enough of a feature for me to put up with this garbage phone any more.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm happy with t-mo now that they worked out unlimited roaming with at&t (gsm data bands instead of lte). The 250mb/mo roaming cap on at&t was annoying when I was on vacation in the sticks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what will the android Face ID be named? has Samsung announced SFace yet?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
haven't there been a half-dozen implementations of that already from various vendors, all able to be duped by a picture of a face?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they've done iris scanners that don't work on asian people

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/MelTajon/status/904058526061830144

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

what will the android Face ID be named? has Samsung announced SFace yet?

considering their idea of a good name for a UI was TouchWiz i'm thinking maybe faceBlast or BukkaKey

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

syscall girl posted:

faceBlast or BukkaKey

:chanpop:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm happy with t-mo now that they worked out unlimited roaming with at&t (gsm data bands instead of lte). The 250mb/mo roaming cap on at&t was annoying when I was on vacation in the sticks

it's nice that their international data roaming is unlimited, but it's really slow and their international data passes are generally considerably more expensive than just buying a local prepaid sim card.

digits is cool though, since i can use my us number over data no matter where i am.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

it would be cool if android phones came with a free handicap sticker

it would give google fans a legitimate reason to buy one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Partycat posted:

it would be cool if android phones came with a free handicap sticker

it would give google fans a legitimate reason to buy one

This joke is bad and you should feel ashamed of yourself

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
lollin at the idea of someone willingly purchasing an android phone. anroid. lmao

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

jit bull transpile posted:

This joke is bad and you should feel ashamed of yourself

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

annoid

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

aynrandroid

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

idorand

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

annoid

an noid

an nerd

a nerd

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

anroid

an roid

a roid

a hemorrhoid

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Midjack posted:

aynrandroid

this is p dece

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

huawei launched a line of tablets that dyp is making GBS threads themselves over because of ~*~the specs~*~

except they can't play hd video

they cost as much as a non-pro ipad

bull3964 posted:

Current buzz is that the tablet doesn't ship with Widevine L1 support so no HD steaming anything out of the box.

Some people in some regions have said an update does give L1 support, but success in getting Netflix to play in HD have been mixed and Amazon is just pointing to their compatibility matrix for HD support.

I'm sorry, if you name something MediaPad and give it such a high resolution screen, your minimum level of competency at that point is ensuring HD playback for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBO Go/Now out of the box.

Once again, software made by someone other than Google disappoints massively.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

they're loving hopeless.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the dyp thread should be renamed to 'anything but apple'

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Once again, software made by someone other than Google disappoints massively.

Unlike the software made by Google??

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

leftist heap posted:

Unlike the software made by Google??

a lot of google software is pretty good

even more is abandoned

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

how did no one post this itt yet

from an ars article about members of the comey investigation into hillarys emails found that the investigators themselves used personal devices for such important work rather than government approved devices. why would they do that?

why sarnsung ofc

quote:

The team also found that, on several occasions, some of the investigation team—including Deputy Assistant Director Peter Strzok, who was also involved in the investigation into Russian interference in the election, and FBI attorney Lisa Page—used personal email accounts and devices on some occasions to conduct official business. Both Strzok and Page blamed this largely on the horridness of the auto-completion and autocorrect features on their FBI-issued Samsung phones. Page told investigators:

"[I]n particular, the autocorrect function is the bane of literally every agent of the FBI's existence because those of us who care about spelling and punctuation, which I realize is a nerdy thing to do, makes us crazy because it takes legitimate words that are spelled correctly and autocorrects them into gobbledygook. And so, it is not uncommon for either one of us to just either switch to our personal phones or, or in this case, where it was going to be a fairly substantive thing that he was writing, to just save ourselves the trouble of not doing it on our Samsungs. Because they are horrible and super-frustrating."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
remember when the alleged email admin for hillary's private email server posted on reddit asking for help deleting data from archived emails in exchange. lol