Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
This hobby would suck a whole lot more without SA and I'd throw money at it if there was a proper drive.

The hours of entertainment I get from a start collecting box pales in comparison to the amount of time I've spent here and I'd happily skip a GW purchase to keep this place going as long as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Miles O'Brian posted:

This hobby would suck a whole lot more without SA and I'd throw money at it if there was a proper drive.

The hours of entertainment I get from a start collecting box pales in comparison to the amount of time I've spent here and I'd happily skip a GW purchase to keep this place going as long as possible

Yeah, does the dude have a patreon or something?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lupercalcalcal posted:

Yeah, does the dude have a patreon or something?

IIRC he has one but it's named for/linked to his podcast series so I think it's probably lower-visibility than it would otherwise be?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

HardCoil posted:

How viable are a Custodes army for someone getting back into the hobby after 3d (I think) edition?

Depends if you like ugly rear end baroque turbomarine models.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I literally just googled “patron something awful” and yes: https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

I agree that a more specific one for the forum would be nice, but if this is where money should go :homebrew:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If this place does go tits up (heaven forbid) can't we just invade Dakka or somewhere en masse and bend it to our will?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lungboy posted:

If this place does go tits up (heaven forbid) can't we just invade Dakka or somewhere en masse and bend it to our will?

Better to just let it all die.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How much could it possibly cost to operate a forum in tyol2018?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

I literally just googled “patron something awful” and yes: https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

I agree that a more specific one for the forum would be nice, but if this is where money should go :homebrew:

just use the goddamned donate button you loving nerds. tax gets less from patreon due to their cut.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

JBP posted:

How much could it possibly cost to operate a forum in tyol2018?

A not-poo poo one that employs a couple people? Probably a decent amount.

“Yeah but what about SomethingAwful? :stat:

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

just use the goddamned donate button you loving nerds. tax gets less from patreon due to their cut.

Actively engaging donations and/or opting for staggered automatic donations instead of passively hoping people will is way more effective. If we could do an optional automatic monthly subscription I totally would but donating manually is not going to grab as many as often.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 14, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm not complaining. I'm going to subscribe because I believe in Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka and I don't even give a poo poo if he's fleecing me. I was just wondering because I understand literally nothing about the backend of this thing I talk to other nerds on.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Supposedly this place is more expensive to run than more modern platforms because the back end is all a patched together nightmare that Radium hacked together. Reading between the lines a bit the Zenforo migration is probably more of a life and death thing for this place than I’d initially realized.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

This.

JBP posted:

I'm not complaining. I'm going to subscribe because I believe in Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka and I don't even give a poo poo if he's fleecing me. I was just wondering because I understand literally nothing about the backend of this thing I talk to other nerds on.
Its less about the cost of the forum and more the american medical system bilking him for all hes got to the point that he cant afford the forum.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
What about a Slack setup? Different channels for different games or painting or whatever.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Lungboy posted:

What about a Slack setup? Different channels for different games or painting or whatever.

Discord is Slack for non-business use. There’s really no reason to use Slack outside of a work scenario.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Artum posted:

Its less about the cost of the forum and more the american medical system bilking him for all hes got to the point that he cant afford the forum.

I have a feeling that it doesn't matter how much we give Lowtax, since our healthcare system can just seize that (and all of his other assets) to cover their inflated expenses.

There are ways to legally protect yourself from that poo poo, and I am absolutely not a lawyer, but I think everybody in America has personally seen that (or something close to it) happen to someone.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lungboy posted:

The Discord already has these things

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Corrode posted:

And Steam before long.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Lowtax should just put the forums in his kid's name (the one with internet poisoning that owns him all the time) and declare bankruptcy

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Actively engaging donations and/or opting for staggered automatic donations instead of passively hoping people will is way more effective. If we could do an optional automatic monthly subscription I totally would but donating manually is not going to grab as many as often.

Absolutely this. I would 100% pay like $5 a month for SA. The quality here is so much better than other places like Reddit. People actually discuss this game rather than fishing for upvotes.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Mef989 posted:

Absolutely this. I would 100% pay like $5 a month for SA. The quality here is so much better than other places like Reddit. People actually discuss this game rather than fishing for upvotes.

I would 100% back a subscription model.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mef989 posted:

It's also 97% toxin free.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
SA is already a subscription model. Just post more.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maneck posted:

SA is already a subscription model. Just buy more avatars.

FTFY.

TBH I'd be willing to chip in some money on a monthly basis to keep this place going, it's far better than any of the other hobby forums I've been on.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Corrode posted:

Oh, ok. I thought Discord was voice comms for some reason, didn't know it had text based channels and shiz.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

FTFY.

TBH I'd be willing to chip in some money on a monthly basis to keep this place going, it's far better than any of the other hobby forums I've been on.

With sufficient posting others will buy the new avatar for you * :eng101:. * You will probably then want to buy a new avatar yourself.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The worst change to 8th is that unit entries don’t get their own page anymore.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

spacegoat posted:

eternityofwar.com

If we ever end up relying on an offsite like EoW the community will die. Lol-goonery killed it last time and will again.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Ya'll should donate like I did. My donation allowed me to find out what my true fursona is.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

So, uh, sounds like life is making GBS threads on Lowtax pretty badly these days and there's a decent chance Something Awful might die in the near future.

Does anyone have any interest in talking about finding another place where we can all congregate if this place does go away? I really like the culture of our little thread and would hate for it to just up and vanish.

Edit: Also, now is a really good time to be buying things like new avatars or figuring out how gang tags work so we can actually be 40k Fuckbois

Alternatively, if anyone is interested I can start up a slack group, although discord is way cooler. Any ideas on a name for it?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Two Beans posted:

Ya'll should donate like I did. My donation allowed me to find out what my true fursona is.

This is cool, what did I get?

Edit: Yes this post was made just to find out.

Edit 2: What the gently caress is a college slice

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 14, 2018

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

This is the color scheme I want for my imperial Knights, but despite it just being kinda black, I've no idea how or recreate the sheen on my giant robutts. Is it just 'ard coat to get the shiny, metallic, looking black? Obviously it has a lot of edge highlighting as well.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Revelation 2-13 posted:

This is the color scheme I want for my imperial Knights, but despite it just being kinda black, I've no idea how or recreate the sheen on my giant robutts. Is it just 'ard coat to get the shiny, metallic, looking black? Obviously it has a lot of edge highlighting as well.

Carefully flay the carapace off 500 pillbugs, then glue to the surface of your robot.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Revelation 2-13 posted:

You could do it, but it would be a lot of wet blending with black and white. You'd want to build up to a focal point wherever you want the light source to be.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Two Beans posted:

Carefully flay the carapace off 500 pillbugs, then glue to the surface of your robot.

You monster. Your own kind!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

ineptmule posted:

You monster. Your own kind!

I am the Fabius Bile of pillbugs.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Two Beans posted:

Cool hollismason alt

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Reaper Adamantine Black with a touch of blue ink or a glaze on top should get you there. Minitaire ghost tint over top if you want more of a candy coat depth to it. Possibly edge highlight with VMC jet exhaust.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

panascope posted:

The worst change to 8th is that unit entries don’t get their own page anymore.

Yes, there’s no longer a guarantee a unit will have a picture of the actual model in the Codex. But we get more fluff per unit now. But it does make the rules slightly harder to find for a given unit if they’re at the bottom of a page. Also no fold out quick reference stat sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Milotic posted:

Yes, there’s no longer a guarantee a unit will have a picture of the actual model in the Codex. But we get more fluff per unit now. But it does make the rules slightly harder to find for a given unit if they’re at the bottom of a page. Also no fold out quick reference stat sheet.

Yeah, a nice big thing with all the stats, costs, and rules in one place would be nice.