Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Duzzy Funlop posted:

An acquaintance of mine caught this yesterday at a pretty famous intersection in Flagstaff that I would pretty much "NOPE" through as fast as possible every time I had to cross it.

His reaction is, uh...something

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj8qmtNBZlX/

//edit:
No idea how to embed Instagram videos :shrug:

*look to the right - no train coming - back car up*

decision paralysis sure is a thing

e: couldn't tell on a phone screen that it was being towed

starkebn fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Duzzy Funlop posted:

An acquaintance of mine caught this yesterday at a pretty famous intersection in Flagstaff that I would pretty much "NOPE" through as fast as possible every time I had to cross it.

His reaction is, uh...something

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj8qmtNBZlX/

//edit:
No idea how to embed Instagram videos :shrug:

You can search the source for the raw MP4 file, and the forum software embeds it automatically after parsing it as a URL.

https://instagram.fmel5-1.fna.fbcdn...467179520_n.mp4

Thank you Sagebrush, exactly the post I was thinking of.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 24, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

put your dick in it

This gives me fond memories of the vaporware fuckham. Yes, it did have a clamp to grab a person's junk, why do you ask?

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/virtuadolls-vr-sex-robot-video-game-controller-halts-indiegogo-campaign-due-high-demand-1541918

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RandomPauI posted:

vaporware fuckham

mods please

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pretty sure that's just a strong dust devil (that's what we call them in the desert anyway) as there is a pronounced rotation visible at times.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Co-worker of mine had something similar happen, he was driving in Chicago and had a semi in front of him, semi hit a manhole that was not on quite right, the loving thing shot out from under the truck and flew directly over co-worker's car; the driver behind him did not end up so fortunate, at least he died quickly.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 14, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Why is it coloured like a children's toy?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Carbon dioxide posted:

All major equipment like that is incredibly brightly coloured when it's brand new. It gets chipped and scuffed up very quickly, but looks pretty garish before that happens.

I've seen mining trucks you needed sunglasses to look at while in the workshop, but they get the shine knocked off them in short order.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This video demonstrates a Tesla 3 not registering the sudden appearance of a car in front of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WjMcUhsMAM

https://jalopnik.com/this-test-shows-why-tesla-autopilot-crashes-keep-happen-1826810902

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Memento posted:

You can search the source for the raw MP4 file, and the forum software embeds it automatically after parsing it as a URL.

https://instagram.fmel5-1.fna.fbcdn...467179520_n.mp4

Thank you Sagebrush, exactly the post I was thinking of.

This is in Flagstaff, Arizona. Before that railway crossing was widened, I saw half of a prefab house get hit as well. The town gets a freighter once every ten minutes or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no no no I dont even know where to start with how wrong this is.

(source:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-14/ute-lands-on-three-cars-in-brisbane/9871012)

Brutulf
Nov 7, 2009

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Because that's what it is.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://i.imgur.com/5WM3DcW.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/jLEi61K.mp4

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

RandomPauI posted:

This video demonstrates a Tesla 3 not registering the sudden appearance of a car in front of it

https://jalopnik.com/this-test-shows-why-tesla-autopilot-crashes-keep-happen-1826810902

tesla crash avoidance demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liu5SmoeRbA

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Captain Foo posted:

mods please
Gonna read that as vaporwave instead of vapoware

C A P T A I N F U C K H A M

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Devor posted:

After exactly one accident of this type, the city/county, and railroad should have been demanding that the traffic stuck where that guy was, get cleared by the signal every time a train came through there

"Hey Bob, what happens if someone 'blocks the box' at this intersection, when a train comes through?"

"Uh, I guess the train hits them, Jim"

"Maybe we should make it so that doesn't happen"

"That sounds complicated, let's just have accidents a few times a year"

People who block the box deserve to get hit by a train.

RandomPauI posted:

This is dumb. Yes, autopilot is way oversold and over-relied on, but this isn't a Tesla 3 not registering the sudden appearance of a *car* in front of it, this is a Tesla 3 driving into a big balloon with some cardboard wheels. Given the nature of that obstacle, piling into it is probably *safer* than full braking or swerving into an adjacent lane. A state of affairs where the car's software both registered the obstacle, registered that it was insubstantial, and concluded that hitting it was safer than risking either a sudden abrupt stop or a sudden abrupt maneuver into another lane is entirely compatible with everything presented in that video.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 14, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

Gonna read that as vaporwave instead of vapoware

C A P T A I N F U C K H A M

That's how my brain read it at first

FUCKHAM ザ無ゼ

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

This is dumb. Yes, autopilot is way oversold and over-relied on, but this isn't a Tesla 3 not registering the sudden appearance of a *car* in front of it, this is a Tesla 3 driving into a big balloon with some cardboard wheels. Given the nature of that obstacle, piling into it is probably *safer* than full braking or swerving into an adjacent lane. A state of affairs where the car's software both registered the obstacle, registered that it was insubstantial, and concluded that hitting it was safer than risking either a sudden abrupt stop or a sudden abrupt maneuver into another lane is entirely compatible with everything presented in that video.
lmao

it's totally oversold, but [list of capabilities that don't exist] its behaviour is totally optimal!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yes I’m absolutely sure the AI is able to distinguish between a large car shaped balloon and a car

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phanatic posted:

A car is not supposed to hit *anything*. There is literally no situation in which the correct response to being on a collision course with something is to take no action and plow straight into it, especially with the spacing and lead time shown here.

Besides, a human driver wouldn't have hit it and that's the standard it's supposed to be aiming for.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Memento posted:

All major equipment like that is incredibly brightly coloured when it's brand new. It gets chipped and scuffed up very quickly, but looks pretty garish before that happens.

I've seen mining trucks you needed sunglasses to look at while in the workshop, but they get the shine knocked off them in short order.

Or maybe they are in licensing negotiations with Tonka. If all goes well soon little boys across america will have toy trucks with rock chomping action.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you think it wouldn't have crashed into a real car in that situation, please get into your Tesla and run the same test with a real car there.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

RandomPauI posted:

Autopilot is absolute trash. My adaptive cruise control has to be monitored at all times because if I get cut off it sometimes stops too late. Treating autopilot as self-driving is extremely risky.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 14, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

People who block the box deserve to get hit by a train.

Or it could have moved to the right into the completely empty lane like the other car did :shrug:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe the Tesla hit it and a human wouldn't because the human would know that there is traffic slowing down or stopped regardless of the behaviour of the car directly in front of it. A human would have slowed down or consider changing lane well before hand. It's a good demonstration of one of the current problems AI's have that is similar to the on/off problem, context and planning.

Things like merging on the highway requires aggression, which also signals that you need to get in, you are doing something "unsafe" to be safe. The car was playing it "safe" by not making an aggressive lane change. Turning up the aggression too much you get a car swerving in and out of lanes driving like it needed to get to the airport yesterday.

They need to stop calling them auto-pilots especially given how uneducated drivers are to the limits.

*The Tesla sensors can't know the solidity or the material of the obstacle.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 14, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

haveblue posted:

A car is not supposed to hit *anything*. There is literally no situation in which the correct response to being on a collision course with something is to take no action and plow straight into it, especially with the spacing and lead time shown here.

That's absolutely false. A few years ago I hit a coyote at highway speed. There was a car behind me and a car which I was passing in the lane to my right. a coyote jumped over the jersey barrier right into my path. Taking no action and plowing straight into it was absolutely, 100% the correct call. Well, given the time involved it was also the only thing possible, but even if my reaction time was measured in microseconds rather than tenths of a second, it'd still have been the right call.

quote:

Besides, a human driver wouldn't have hit it and that's the standard it's supposed to be aiming for.

Agreed. The sensors, however, are ultrasound, which can (in principle, I'm not making an assertion about the particular sensors on the Model 3) tell the difference between solid and hollow objects. In this case, one of three things happened:

1. The ultrasound sensors did not detect a return from an object that, while clearly a visual obstruction, presented no actual danger upon impact to the car or its inhabitants. If this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a balloon the car didn't see and...no injury or damage would have resulted.
2. The ultrasound sensors registered a return from the object and the control software decided that impacting the object was the safer alternative, the one least likely to cause any damage or injury. You don't panic-stop on a highway and possibly cause a crash because an empty garbage bag blows across the road (and that's a situation in which a human driver *can* recognize that and decide that hitting the empty garbage bag is the right thing to do, so if that's the standard Tesla's supposed to be aiming for the car needs to be able to make that judgement) If this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a balloon the car did see, and no injury or damage would have resulted.
3. The whole system broke and if this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a stopped car at high speed.

The video in no way provides sufficient information to distinguish between the three situations. All of them are compatible with what is shown. It is a dumb
video.

Lain Iwakura posted:

Autopilot is absolute trash.

Totally agreed.

The worst part of it, I think, is the notion that an autopilot is okay if the human being is paying alert attention and is ready to intervene. People just don't work that way, you can't maintain a state of passive alertness like that without serious training and conditioning. Even military snipers keeping watch on an objective have a spotter to trade off that duty with on a regular basis.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 14, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

haveblue posted:

There's never going to be a point where AI can avoid every accident that a human *should* be able to avoid. But currently, humans don't even avoid every accident they *should* be able to avoid - we have impaired drivers, inattentive drivers, and just plain bad drivers.

We should be aiming for as few accidents as possible, and if AI can get us below the accident/injury/fatality rate that human drivers cause, it will be a benefit.

We're still really far off as some of these examples are showing - and I'm not saying that THESE examples are not proof that the AI isn't ready, but the standard of proof you describe is bad, and would keep us from using AI even after it's safer than human drivers.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe when dealing with people who really want AI you have to think about it more like talking to a toddler

Hey buddy, I know you want your driving AI really bad, but it keeps killing people so maybe give it ten years? Okay, champ? Glad we had this talk. Your mom and I are proud of you

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phanatic posted:

3. The whole system broke and if this had been a real traffic situation, the car would have plowed right into a stopped car at high speed.

The video in no way provides sufficient information to distinguish between the three situations. All of them are compatible with what is shown. It is a dumb
video.

It's 3, which you can determine for yourself with the additional context that the car doesn't have sensors which would allow it to determine the facts of the other cases you've listed, and also it keeps crashing into real vehicles exactly this way in the real world.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Devor posted:

We're still really far off as some of these examples are showing - and I'm not saying that THESE examples are not proof that the AI isn't ready, but the standard of proof you describe is bad, and would keep us from using AI even after it's safer than human drivers.

The way people want/expect self driving cars would require a complete revamp/remake of driving infrastructure and culture.
I wouldn't expect things like " take a nap and arrive somewhere a few hours later" for ....at least not within my lifetime.

You will probably see things done in small scale, like say Take out food trucks, where you can explicitly map certain areas.
Maybe even routine shuttle carts.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Phanatic posted:

That's absolutely false. A few years ago I hit a coyote at highway speed. There was a car behind me and a car which I was passing in the lane to my right. a coyote jumped over the jersey barrier right into my path. Taking no action and plowing straight into it was absolutely, 100% the correct call. Well, given the time involved it was also the only thing possible, but even if my reaction time was measured in microseconds rather than tenths of a second, it'd still have been the right call.

lol not even trying to hit the brakes is what killed the last pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle

attempting to reduce the severity of an inevitable impact is clearly the correct action and is exactly what people are criticizing about failing this test

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

There's never going to be a point where AI can avoid every accident that a human *should* be able to avoid. But currently, humans don't even avoid every accident they *should* be able to avoid - we have impaired drivers, inattentive drivers, and just plain bad drivers.

We should be aiming for as few accidents as possible, and if AI can get us below the accident/injury/fatality rate that human drivers cause, it will be a benefit.

I think when the day comes that all cars are connected and communicating with each other then they can pretty much all be avoided. Until someone hacks them and makes them crash.

But if every car on the road is communicating it’s relative position with all the other cars around it, you could theoretically have intersections with no stoplights. It would be scary and awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

phanatic (who have on ignore for some reason) is correct that the right move in most cases when you're travelling at highway speed and about to hit a small animal is to continue straight through it. brake, sure, but don't attempt to swerve around it. hitting a raccoon or whatever is going to gently caress up your bumper, but it won't kill you or put the car out of control.

however this is a case where the tesla didn't stop for a car, not a coyote.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol not even trying to hit the brakes is what killed the last pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle

That wasn't a Tesla, and in that case the vehicle *saw* the pedestrian just fine.

quote:

attempting to reduce the severity of an inevitable impact is clearly the correct action and is exactly what people are criticizing about failing this test

It's a *bogus test* is my point. It's not a meaningful test.

Sagebrush posted:

however this is a case where the tesla didn't stop for a car, not a coyote.

It didn't stop for a balloon, not a car. If they had used a big soap bubble instead of a balloon, would anyone think that test showed anything about anything? No. So why's a balloon any more meaningful a test than a soap bubble?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i was taught to not drive over things like a cardboard box in the road because you don't always know if there might be something under it

so even if a human was driving and aware that what was in front of them was a car-sized balloon, i doubt the best course of action was to just plow into it regardless

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think when the day comes that all cars are connected and communicating with each other then they can pretty much all be avoided. Until someone hacks them and makes them crash.

But if every car on the road is communicating it’s relative position with all the other cars around it, you could theoretically have intersections with no stoplights. It would be scary and awesome.
This is a fun idea but only works in spherical-cow computer simulations. In reality you burst a tire and people burn to death in a 200 car pileup.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Phanatic posted:

It didn't stop for a balloon, not a car. If they had used a big soap bubble instead of a balloon, would anyone think that test showed anything about anything? No. So why's a balloon any more meaningful a test than a soap bubble?
lmao

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we need to make a posting ghetto for the elon musk/tesla bros holy poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Maybe the car has have hyperspatial sensors that can see inside 3D objects through a 4D geometric transform! Didn't think of that, did you smart guy? :colbert:

*rams straight into a truck at 75 mph because it has a cover cloth hanging off the back*