Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It is after you get to the active fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probaly. also there are humanoid baddy NPCs. super mutants and ghouls survivors that formed a faction. https://pcgamesn.com/fallout-76-scorched

they said the Scorched are just ghouls that hadn't gone feral yet, and it wouldn't make sense for there to be super mutants anyways

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Complain that we can't do mutants right well no more mutants.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Bethesda what have u done

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I gotta admit, I kinda liked this thread more when there were ~20 posts a day and we complained about games that were already out.

Anyway. Is there no truly happy ending to Honest Hearts? I was all for evacuation until I read all of the survivalist's journals, and that changed my position to war, with the caveat that Salt-Upon-Wounds would have to die in honorable combat instead of execution.

But I still wonder whether I made the right choice. I think the Legion would have caught up with the Sorrows and Dead Horses no matter where they ran, and I don't abide by fascists and indiscriminate murderers, but maybe the White Legs would have collapsed after I invariably murdered Caesar/Lanius, and never would have been an issue. Maybe Daniel was right, and subjecting a normally peaceful tribe to the horrors of war over a piece of land was wrong. The two surviving tribes never unite and even come to blows if they stay in Zion. Maybe Graham was bloodthirsty, and his redemption can't come about through even more bloodshed. Maybe there's no such thing as a righteous war.

I think that's something magical about New Vegas writing. It really forces you to live in the world and consider your decisions, not because there's a good and evil option, but because there's often neither. Or a justifiable evil vs a painful good. There's just consequence and your own interpretation. Not all of the time; I turn a very skeptical eye towards anyone who unironically argues "LEGION ACTUALLY GOOD" but the fact that a decision I made in my least favorite DLC still bothers me in some small way hours after the fact is testament to the writing in this game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

daniel came off as very well-meaning but naive who put too much stock into some romantic idea of the peaceful noble savage instead of the situation actually in front of him

it's been a long time since i played through honest hearts though so my opinion might change if i did it again

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

daniel is milquetoast liberalism, graham is juche.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Autism Sneaks posted:

they said the Scorched are just ghouls that hadn't gone feral yet, and it wouldn't make sense for there to be super mutants anyways

well i saw Super mutants in the gameplay.

Brother Entropy posted:

daniel came off as very well-meaning but naive who put too much stock into some romantic idea of the peaceful noble savage instead of the situation actually in front of him

it's been a long time since i played through honest hearts though so my opinion might change if i did it again

the Sorrows and Dead Horses and the white legs, i assumed they were descended from tourists or something, right? i havent played it in years and i need to get back into it again someday.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 14, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Donovan Trip posted:

Fallout tactics is a great game

yeah

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Vault 87 is only 50ish miles away from West Virginia, along the Potomac River also. It's not a stretch that some number of super mutants followed the river looking for food/shelter/phat lewts (aka more FEV.)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I just wanna wander around a huge rear end map and shoot at pubbies, is that so much to ask?

Also, being able to make Trump Tower/Fort Kickass/Scrap Metal Maze/Huge Dong and bounce between servers would be super nice.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Finally watching the doc and rofl at Howard bitching about people asking them to actually think through the consequences and effects the mechanics will have on players in a public online game.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

deathbagel posted:

Vault 87 is only 50ish miles away from West Virginia, along the Potomac River also. It's not a stretch that some number of super mutants followed the river looking for food/shelter/phat lewts (aka more FEV.)

Right, I forgot Vault 87 super mutants were as old as the Great War. They suck though :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Autism Sneaks posted:

Right, I forgot Vault 87 super mutants were as old as the Great War. They suck though :(

Fawkes will be a companion in 76. He'll eventually let you die to completely avoidable radiation

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

deathbagel posted:

The mutants we saw in the footage were Fallout 4-style green mutants though. They did not look like the mutants from the Capital Wasteland. And the mutants in the Capital Wasteland seemingly started pushing outside their Vault more and more as FEV dwindled, which shouldn't be a problem 25 years after the War.

I'm expecting the worst, frankly: another FEV strain, which apparently everyone pre-War actually possessed.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The mutants we saw in the footage were Fallout 4-style green mutants though. They did not look like the mutants from the Capital Wasteland.

please

don't over think this

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Riatsala posted:

I gotta admit, I kinda liked this thread more when there were ~20 posts a day and we complained about games that were already out.

Anyway. Is there no truly happy ending to Honest Hearts? I was all for evacuation until I read all of the survivalist's journals, and that changed my position to war, with the caveat that Salt-Upon-Wounds would have to die in honorable combat instead of execution.

But I still wonder whether I made the right choice. I think the Legion would have caught up with the Sorrows and Dead Horses no matter where they ran, and I don't abide by fascists and indiscriminate murderers, but maybe the White Legs would have collapsed after I invariably murdered Caesar/Lanius, and never would have been an issue. Maybe Daniel was right, and subjecting a normally peaceful tribe to the horrors of war over a piece of land was wrong. The two surviving tribes never unite and even come to blows if they stay in Zion. Maybe Graham was bloodthirsty, and his redemption can't come about through even more bloodshed. Maybe there's no such thing as a righteous war.

I think that's something magical about New Vegas writing. It really forces you to live in the world and consider your decisions, not because there's a good and evil option, but because there's often neither. Or a justifiable evil vs a painful good. There's just consequence and your own interpretation. Not all of the time; I turn a very skeptical eye towards anyone who unironically argues "LEGION ACTUALLY GOOD" but the fact that a decision I made in my least favorite DLC still bothers me in some small way hours after the fact is testament to the writing in this game.

You get a better ending for Graham and a better ending in general if you let Salt-Upon-Wounds go. It helps Graham realize "Aw hell, this is a noble cause and all, but the truth is I've been using this whole thing as an excuse to commit unnecessary violence beyond what was needed because I've never actually dealt with all the anger I have inside me. I need learn how to chill and make peace with myself and the world because I don't want this hatred burning inside of me for the rest of my life." Except he says all that in a better and prettier way, it's very heartwarming.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Autism Sneaks posted:

There were super mutants in the E3 video. Lazy, copied directly from FO4 models super mutants.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

There were super mutants in the E3 video. Lazy, copied directly from FO4 models super mutants.

Fallout 2 is built almost entirely from recycled fallout 1 assets. I can think of dozens of games that do this. Is there some reason it's worse here?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Donovan Trip posted:

Fallout 2 is built almost entirely from recycled fallout 1 assets. I can think of dozens of games that do this. Is there some reason it's worse here?

Well according to the Fallout 1 holy book,

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Doesn't this whole game really feel like a suit at Bethesda had a meeting asking why one of their biggest IPs didn't have an online installment. Fallout 76 is pretty much the result. A side project/experiment to put out in the interim before Starfield and Elderscrolls VI hit.

"The current engine doesn't support it and the effort involved in retrofitting that capability is hard to justify" tends to be as solid an answer as any. "Then use a different one" tends to be a solid response when you've got a well written network multiplayer game engine like idTech. To my understanding the higher ups at Zenimax want more use of that engine across their studios so it's killing two birds with one stone. This just feels like it's deep, deep in white whale territory.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

1337JiveTurkey posted:

"The current engine doesn't support it and the effort involved in retrofitting that capability is hard to justify" tends to be as solid an answer as any. "Then use a different one" tends to be a solid response when you've got a well written network multiplayer game engine like idTech. To my understanding the higher ups at Zenimax want more use of that engine across their studios so it's killing two birds with one stone. This just feels like it's deep, deep in white whale territory.

You are aware that this game runs on the same engine as Fallout 4, right?

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You are aware that this game runs on the same engine as Fallout 4, right?

I do. What I'm saying is that adding network multiplayer to the existing Gamebryo-derivative engine by way of patching in the idTech network code is not a conventional order from above. If they're going to spend that much effort modifying a game engine due to corporate orders from above, the most reasonable engine to modify is the one that corporate senior management is promoting in the first place. And if that's too much effort, I'd expect them to drop the proposal entirely.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also, Zenimax is a privately held company founded by Bethesda people, so it doesn't seem to have the same issues as most of the big triple A game companies. They seem to be content to trust Bethesda to do their own thing, and will most likely continue to as long as they keep making bank.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 14, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I do. What I'm saying is that adding network multiplayer to the existing Gamebryo-derivative engine by way of patching in the idTech network code is not a conventional order from above. If they're going to spend that much effort modifying a game engine due to corporate orders from above, the most reasonable engine to modify is the one that corporate senior management is promoting in the first place. And if that's too much effort, I'd expect them to drop the proposal entirely.

I misinterpreted your post then, sorry.

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I just wanna wander around a huge rear end map and shoot at pubbies, is that so much to ask?

Also, being able to make Trump Tower/Fort Kickass/Scrap Metal Maze/Huge Dong and bounce between servers would be super nice.

Howl's moving Huge Dong! Is it a myth? This summer the Huge Dong comes, will you be ready to experience the magic?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
If we really caring about lore or whatever color the mutants are I think that horse left the barn a real long time ago.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

The deep quests in the mobs respawing machine.

The final boss of Fallout 76 is the guy who refills the Nuka-Cola machines across the country

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vinylshadow posted:

The final boss of Fallout 76 is the guy who refills the Nuka-Cola machines across the country

We take over or become a companion to this lone wandering hero?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Are there any answers about how your account for 76 will work? Do you make a Bethesda whatever account and have your character stored completely server-side?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Poniard posted:

Are there any answers about how your account for 76 will work? Do you make a Bethesda whatever account and have your character stored completely server-side?

the inner workings of this game are a mystery, even to Bethesda

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I believe it

e: I have a whole bunch of technical questions for no reason but I know they won't be answered until the game is out and people have datamined and reverse engineered everything

Poniard fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 14, 2018

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Why do people think suits forced Bethesda to make this game? Isn’t it possible they just thought it would be a good fun game?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

marktheando posted:

Why do people think suits forced Bethesda to make this game? Isn’t it possible they just thought it would be a good fun game?
they've even went over several times in the video that multiplayer was something they wanted to put in fallout 4 in some way but due to obvious technical inability, they couldn't

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Multimillion dollar companies do not make products because they think they are fun.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Multimillion dollar companies make games because Todd thinks they are fun

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

marktheando posted:

I wish I could find it but a long time ago a game very much like 76 was suggested to be the new fallout after 3 and even some similar ideas were floated around.

I think this has been on Bethesda's mind for a long time and now the market is better able to receive it. Small scale mmo-like games such as PUBG and Rust and Etc have created a niche that was previously not mainstream enough.

Anyway my two cents doesn't buy poo poo so I could be wrong and everything is terrible.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Multimillion dollar companies do not make products because they think they are fun.

Then why are they making this game? It’s not like Ark and Rust type games are actually that popular, they are early access poo poo that aren’t mainstream at all.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rinkles posted:

I'm not going to invest time into something designed around micro transactions. I've heard it's fine at first but eventually progress becomes painfully slow without spending money.

I have never even thought about paying for anything while playing Fallout Shelter. It's certainly a standard time/resource game, but it's a mystery to me how it's profitable. The only reason you would want to is if you're super impatient. You can easily play for an hour or two each day and have plenty to do, especially if you break it up into a few chunks of time rather than all at once. Put it on a tablet and dork around with it whenever you have 20 minutes of free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kaal posted:

I have never even thought about paying for anything while playing Fallout Shelter. It's certainly a standard time/resource game, but it's a mystery to me how it's profitable. The only reason you would want to is if you're super impatient. You can easily play for an hour or two each day and have plenty to do, especially if you break it up into a few chunks of time rather than all at once.

I don't think timer-based gameplay's for me either.