Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

gently caress Off, Received Dmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
ODB Formulary where the only covered drugs are benzos and tramadol

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
big drug tax credits i cant wait
dougie gently caress that i cant wait

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No seriously, what is ODB? Google is not helping.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
How much debt would Ontario have to rack up to actually cause the province to go insolvent? Is that possible? I feel like that might happen after Doug takes 10 billion for tax cuts or whatever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PT6A posted:

No seriously, what is ODB? Google is not helping.

Ontario Drug Beneficiary, it's what covers old folks' meds

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
With the way the world is headed my yolo gently caress it retirement non-planning is starting to sound more and more practical. Things are going to be so very very hosed by the time in my 60s even the maximum I could conceivably save would still not be enough.

Just gonna work until I can't and then die.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Eej posted:

Ontario Drug Beneficiary, it's what covers old folks' meds

And now people under 25 (called OHIP+)!

Looking forward to that being rolled back by the OPC and parents not being able to give their kids medications again because they cant afford them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

How much debt would Ontario have to rack up to actually cause the province to go insolvent? Is that possible? I feel like that might happen after Doug takes 10 billion for tax cuts or whatever.

I feel like it would probably just be bailed out by the federal government. Or that there really isn't any kind of upper limit because none of the banks want the kind of stability loss that comes with actually calling in debts that large. Like there probably is a line SOMEWHERE, but it's not at a number that is realistically approachable by provincial spending. Basically so long as Ontario keeps making interest payments the actual amount of principal debt is inconsequential.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Ah yes, this is totally about representation, not a way for white people to scam their way out of paying sales tax.

CBC News posted:

The website of Viaguard Accu-Metrics says the company is an industry leader in ancestral heritage testing. To further investigate the accuracy of Viaguard’s testing, CBC News ordered the company's Indigenous ancestry testing kits and swabbed the DNA of three newsroom employees. Two were born in India and the third was born in Russia, and none was aware of any ancestral connections to North America's Indigenous populations.

CBC News also submitted samples from the three individuals to a second ancestry testing company. On the advice of experts, CBC used 23andMe, a large consumer DNA testing firm. Five weeks later, Viaguard sent back results saying all three CBC employees had 20 per cent Native American DNA. The results were broken down further, linking them to specific First Nations communities. Viaguard determined that the DNA of each of the three individuals was 12 per cent Abanaki and eight per cent Mohawk — the same breakdown Côté received.

[...]

Gravel also questioned Viaguard's claim that its testing can determine ancestry links to specific Indigenous bands. "It is not possible to break down someone's ancestry into multiple First Nation groups using only mitochondrial and Y chromosome DNA," said Gravel. "Even the largest companies, which have access to genome-wide data, don't report such specific results.

"If you ask me based on this how much faith I put in these reports, I would say, personally, none."

[...]

Meanwhile, the Mohawk police in the Montreal region — known as the Kahnawake Mohawk Peacekeepers — have started seizing CAPC cards from people who try to use them to claim tax exemptions on products that range from major appliances to cars. "It's totally fake. It's a fraudulent card," said chief Peacekeeper Dwayne Zacharie. :laugh:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Good, gently caress 'em. I hope the Mohawks reported the lot of them to INAC and CRA, too.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This reminds me I should get one of those updated status cards instead of the crappy laminated one I have right now.

Thanks canpol thread.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Reading about the Russian guy they got tested immediately made me think of the proposed Dene-Yeniseian language family; given the particulars involved there's no way it's actually relevant to this scam, but it's a cool thing that we've been able to trace the links between North American Indigenous languages and their Old World cousins.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DariusLikewise posted:

Well right now our debt is about 37% of our GDP, ~330b debt to 850b GDP. The United States is at about 100-105% debt to GDP . Greece was at ~180% when they defaulted.

So, we'd have to run it up like another $500b before we hit USA levels, and add about a cool trillion before we hit the Greek benchmark of a default.

e: This is all napkin math don't @ me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
@ReincePenis stick to lit

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Reince Penis posted:

Well right now our debt is about 37% of our GDP, ~330b debt to 850b GDP. The United States is at about 100-105% debt to GDP . Greece was at ~180% when they defaulted.

So, we'd have to run it up like another $500b before we hit USA levels, and add about a cool trillion before we hit the Greek benchmark of a default.

e: This is all napkin math don't @ me

Whats Canadas debt like in percentage compared to USA. Seems weird to compare a province to a country. Or are there USA states that have debt like Ontario?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Debt isn’t real. That’s why I’ll never pay off my credit card

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

So this happened.

All three adult members of polyamorous family deemed child's parents by Newfoundland judge

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

EvilJoven posted:

Just gonna work until I can't and then die.
lol if your retirement plan doesn’t involve a 30 day waiting period just lol

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Square Peg posted:

Great, as if our stupid pointless new arena didn't already gently caress up Edmonton's downtown enough, now we have to deal with FIFA poo poo.

At least the FIFA clusterfuck will be focused around Commonwealth and Clarke Stadium. And now that the Coliseum is an empty husk I'm sure they'll use some of the land there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Let's just check those comments and ooooops

Edit: Actually I'll be honest there are probably more positive comments than not. I am surprised.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
why do people even want to host FIFA

it doesn't actually make you money

it's just a dick waving contest of cities, it make sense for a country like China which really cares about face/prestige but why the gently caress do we care

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Canada is the WASPy housewife that loves throwing parties to show off all the new shiny things they own and is secretly, but visibly stressed out about pleasing every person at that party

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Typo posted:

why do people even want to host FIFA

it doesn't actually make you money

it's just a dick waving contest of cities, it make sense for a country like China which really cares about face/prestige but why the gently caress do we care

People who want to host major events fall into 3 categories.
-People who know they will make out like bandits, politicians getting kickbacks from stadium construction contractors, from security contractors, from sponsors and so on. It doesn't matter if the country or city lose money, they'll personally be making money.
-People who don't care about the cost, its all about that national/local pride and fame and media attention, you can't put a price on that!
-People who genuinely believe it will be a net gain to host what ever. It'll put us on the map, it will increase tourism in the long run, the facilities and infrastructure will be good long term investments. The politician funded by contractors connected to the games told me so!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just want to go see World Cup matches in my home country :shrug:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

vyelkin posted:

same, but that still puts us in category 2

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

People who want to host major events fall into 3 categories.
-People who know they will make out like bandits, politicians getting kickbacks from stadium construction contractors, from security contractors, from sponsors and so on. It doesn't matter if the country or city lose money, they'll personally be making money.
-People who don't care about the cost, its all about that national/local pride and fame and media attention, you can't put a price on that!
-People who genuinely believe it will be a net gain to host what ever. It'll put us on the map, it will increase tourism in the long run, the facilities and infrastructure will be good long term investments. The politician funded by contractors connected to the games told me so!
The second and third are just covers for the first. It’a always the first.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

vyelkin posted:

Good luck getting tickets to any game in Canada. There's only 10 games across 3 cities and all the stadiums are fairly small (compared to euro soccer stadiums).

Might be easier seeing games in the states but by 2026 they'll probably be in the Third Orange Juche Dynasty so you probably won't want to visit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EngineerJoe posted:

Good luck getting tickets to any game in Canada. There's only 10 games across 3 cities and all the stadiums are fairly small (compared to euro soccer stadiums).

Might be easier seeing games in the states but by 2026 they'll probably be in the Third Orange Juche Dynasty so you probably won't want to visit.

Money solves all problems, friend.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

EngineerJoe posted:

It will be worth climbing over the wall because it will be easier to get tickets in Ivankansas City.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Great work everyone, we lost and the riding went PC but the important thing is we tried.

quote:

Best result ever for NDP in Ottawa West—Nepean!
The race for MPP here in Ottawa West—Nepean, which wrapped up on election day June 7, was not only our best in recent history, but ended up being one of the closest in the province. Our candidate, Chandra Pasma, was leading for much of the evening ahead of PC candidate Jeremy Roberts, with Liberal incumbent Bob Chiarelli well behind the frontrunners. While it was clear that Chandra won E-Day results, the Roberts campaign edged us on the Advance Poll vote (which were tabulated late in the count). This enabled the PC candidate to leap past us and gain a 175 vote advantage as the last of the poll results came in - a very close margin as over 50,000 people voted in Ottawa West-Nepean, but not close enough for an official recount.

Chandra was aided by a strong campaign, led by Alex Cullen with the help of some great volunteers. We more than doubled our share of the vote compared to the previous 2014 provincial election. We had 500 Chandra Pasma lawn signs and 300 Chandra Pasma large signs out in the riding, as well as Andrea Horwath signs that provincial office provided in the last week of our campaign. The riding was covered twice with postal walks, getting our literature into the mailboxes of most of the voters in the riding. And Chandra was extremely effective at the community candidate meetings and in the media.

Chandra was also able to attract many well-known people to canvass with her, including MPs Tom Mulcair, Guy Caron, Charlie Angus, Ruth Ellen Brosseau and Sheila Malcolmson. Canvassing is an important part of any campaign, and Chandra was able to cover much of the riding (over 10,000 doors!) over the four week campaign.

Provincially the NDP under Andrea Horwath doubled our seats to form the Official Opposition (aka the “government-in-waiting”). The Liberals lost not only their leader but party status as well. We are glad that our neighbour Joel Harden in Ottawa—Centre will be providing an NDP voice for Ottawa in Queen's Park, after an absence of over two decades. He will be part of Andrea Horwath's official opposition, with the task of holding Doug Ford's PCs to account over the next four years.

Well done, Chandra!

This is such a party of losers.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jordan7hm posted:

aka the “government-in-waiting”

Most of this is boiler plate "thanks to your volunteers" pablum but god drat did this particular line make me cringe.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Nothing curdles my semen faster than politicians in democratic countries who think they have a right to rule and they just need to wait for their guaranteed turn at the helm.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
but isn't every politician necessarily like that i mean regardless of your party it takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to think they know better than everyone else

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

RBC posted:

but isn't every politician necessarily like that i mean regardless of your party it takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to think they know better than everyone else

There's a fine line between believing in oneself and... whatever the gently caress this is:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/791263939015376902

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean there is a 0% chance that Hilary herself runs that account, it's not actually blind self aggrandizement.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I mean there is a 0% chance that Hilary herself runs that account, it's not actually blind self aggrandizement.

It’s still tone deaf and would’ve been embarrassing even if she had won

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
She was probably passed out on a bus when that got posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Conservatives are putting Parliament into overtime because they don’t understand what a carbon tax is I guess?!?