Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
A while back I took apart my black seas barracuda to clean it. I put the sails somewhere, presumably in a book to keep them nice and flat and to protect them. Cue life happening and now a couple months later I have a pile of sparkly clean bricks and can't remember where the sails are. Replacing the set on bricklink is like $50, bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And that's why you always leave a note.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Did you tuck them in a book? That's where I'd be most likely to loose something like that. Or maybe one of your instruction booklets?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ChesterJT posted:

A while back I took apart my black seas barracuda to clean it. I put the sails somewhere, presumably in a book to keep them nice and flat and to protect them. Cue life happening and now a couple months later I have a pile of sparkly clean bricks and can't remember where the sails are. Replacing the set on bricklink is like $50, bleh.

I have a brand new set of sails. I found a guy on CL who was willing to trade his in box BSB for a newer set so I did it. The newer set was Destiny's Bounty, btw, which I picked up from Target on the way to meet him. When I got the box home, it turns out there was an extra, unopened set of sails along with the pristine set that was already in there. I think I did well on that trade. It's the newer BSB, the reprint.

But today I am sad because I missed 6980 by a dollar. Alas. Someday I will get it for a bargain.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You did well financially but destiny's bounty is so much cooler than BSB I'd feel weird doing that trade.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's cooler if you like Ninjago. If you want a classic pirate ship, though, BSB is the best.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

deoju posted:

Did you tuck them in a book? That's where I'd be most likely to loose something like that. Or maybe one of your instruction booklets?

Yeah I've been looking everywhere, especially through all my books and nothing. I definitely need to start leaving myself notes. Apparently 40 is the new 80.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

You want realistic dinosaurs in the London area, visit Dinosaurs in the Wild while it lasts.

That or check out Buckingham Palace

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lizard Combatant posted:

That or check out Buckingham Palace

:eyepop:

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
Anyone near NYC need a Ninjago City? Bronx Toys R Us has 40 of them for $180 each.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Anyone near NYC need a Ninjago City? Bronx Toys R Us has 40 of them for $180 each.

Buy them all. Sit on them for 10 years. Profit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Oh man. I’m going to be in NYC in late August... they’ll be long gone by then :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's cooler if you like Ninjago. If you want a classic pirate ship, though, BSB is the best.
Yeah I had Destiny's Bounty until I tracked down a BSB and I only have room to display one ship, so now I don't have Destiny's Bounty anymore.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Why on earth wouldn't someone want a Hong Kong fishing junk? It's even better if you replace the sails with the ones from the old Return of the King corsair boat.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Why on earth wouldn't someone want a Hong Kong fishing junk? It's even better if you replace the sails with the ones from the old Return of the King corsair boat.
DB is a killer set and easily one of the best ships LEGO has ever made (aside from the awful, undersized, flimsy masts and sails that have no rigging and look like poo poo from the starboard side), but BSB is the representation of that iconic pirate ship I always wanted as a kid. Nostalgia aside, I truly think BSB is the best classic pirate ship. Its only real competition to me is the Skull's Eye Schooner, but that one has jankier color blocking (especially the red and white on the stern), the hoist makes less sense with the crank being halfway up a mast, the cabin loses a lot to make room for the steering mechanism, the cabin doors are silly, the color scheme isn't as elegant, etc. I will say its turntable-mounted cannons are great and the mizzenmast is a much appreciated addition. Still, Black Seas Barracuda is king poo poo of rad pirate ships and I have never once regretted moving DB along for it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't built the two Johnny Depp ships or the LOTR one, but I've built all the rest. I think the best looking are DB and the Armada Flagship. AF is very striking in person.

I also like the Red Beard Runner.

DB looks like a piece of art to be put on a shelf somewhere and admired.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
How come no one talks about the real best Lego boat, the Sea Cow.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shawn posted:

How come no one talks about the real best Lego boat, the Sea Cow.

Because sails aren't made of plastic?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I decided to institute a one big ship ever rule for Lego otherwise I'd have loads. So I have to give a shoutout to the Queen Anne's Revenge. Especially good if you're in to skulls and bones and that

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I think I’ve now completed all of Chubbybots Alternate Builds, ending with this Tech Wyvern.

You guys aware of anyone else out there posting tutorials on alternate builds of sets?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have any classic space sets they might want to trade for pirates sets?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Downsized to a smaller house and have less room for LEGO. Does anybody store their loose bricks in the garage? I assume I'd need bins with gaskets to keep moisture and spiders out? :spidey: I still have some space, but not like I once had.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just

build a giant stack of lego

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego is quality plastic. Moisture won't hurt them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The big damage to Lego is done by the sun, so storing them in a dark place is probably better than displaying them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

djfooboo posted:

Downsized to a smaller house and have less room for LEGO. Does anybody store their loose bricks in the garage? I assume I'd need bins with gaskets to keep moisture and spiders out? :spidey: I still have some space, but not like I once had.

In my storage shed I just use bins like you’d buy at target or wherever and have yet to discover any spiders etc. No gaskets although they are fairly tight fitting. I rummage through them infrequently to get parts and minifigs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The other downside to storing lego in airtight containers is the smell. All those zesty volatiles outgassing into a closed space, you open it years later and have to fight off the nausea.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016

Feenix posted:

Ok I think I’ve now completed all of Chubbybots Alternate Builds, ending with this Tech Wyvern.

You guys aware of anyone else out there posting tutorials on alternate builds of sets?

grohl666 has really fun nexo knights alternate builds on YouTube. Convinced me to get Stone Colossus (on clearance), despite not thinking much of the official build.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJTMHMAVxQmtpiReKnlfDR5TqR2csPnAH

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Gaebril posted:

grohl666 has really fun nexo knights alternate builds on YouTube. Convinced me to get Stone Colossus (on clearance), despite not thinking much of the official build.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJTMHMAVxQmtpiReKnlfDR5TqR2csPnAH

lmao this is great

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lego, James Bond, and Aston Martin twitter teased an upcoming set. People are hoping it means the new creator car is a DB5. I'd be down!

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1007291628774715392

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Scipiotik posted:

Lego, James Bond, and Aston Martin twitter teased an upcoming set. People are hoping it means the new creator car is a DB5. I'd be down!

Oh poo poo, sold. A shop near me still has Caterhams and I keep meaning to grab one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Scipiotik posted:

I want an official Sean Connery minifig.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it's a DB5, yes. If it's a DB9 or 11 or whatever, meh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They make the entire set out of metallic silver bricks, set hits the secondary market for five thousand dollars each.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

If it's a DB5, yes. If it's a DB9 or 11 or whatever, meh.

The DB9 is a gorgeous car:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have to imagine it's going to be a DB5, as that's the iconic Bond car.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

I have to imagine it's going to be a DB5, as that's the iconic Bond car.

Most likely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

The DB9 is a gorgeous car:

It may be, but not enough for me to want it as a tiny lego car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The creator cars so far have been iconic machines that pretty much anyone with any interest in cars will recognize and enjoy building.

The DB9 is a gorgeous interpretation of the theme but it's still basically a contemporary 2 door wedge.

The DB5 is on another level and lego would be burning money if they chose something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

It may be, but not enough for me to want it as a tiny lego car.

Yeah, chances are any Lego version of an Aston Martin is going to be disappointing. If they could get something akin to the Caterham, though. I'd be down with that.