Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That’s cool because I keep banging my watch on poo poo and jamming the buttons up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Best place/ Amazon sellers for 3rd Party sports bands? I want to pick up a few more coloured sports bands to match whatever I'm wearing! Thanks :)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Best Buy has 50 off the S3 gps and I want to get one for my wife. Are the sales online usually the same in store? I want to go in because I have a 100$ visa gift card I want to put in on top of the 50 off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Best Buy has 50 off the S3 gps and I want to get one for my wife. Are the sales online usually the same in store? I want to go in because I have a 100$ visa gift card I want to put in on top of the 50 off.

Yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I did an obstacle course race this weekend and I had my sport band and watch with me for it. Ran and crawled through water and mud and the watch worked just fine (lost my heartbeat for a bit while it was mud covered but the workout/GPS tracking continued). One thing of note was during the 15’ dive into a pool the splash completely undid the sport loop. I felt it immediately and raised my hand so it wouldn’t slip off but that was a fun near lost-my-watch moment.

So try to avoid jumping or diving into water with a sport loop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sport BAND or sport LOOP? You switch which one you are talking about.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Could wrap a piece of tape or maybe a rubber band to try to keep it from peeling off when situation warrants.

Or wear a band that tucks the tail of the band when doing courses.

My sports loop is a little too willing to give up too, it seems designed for gym workout type activity.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I did an obstacle course race this weekend and I had my sport band and watch with me for it. Ran and crawled through water and mud and the watch worked just fine (lost my heartbeat for a bit while it was mud covered but the workout/GPS tracking continued). One thing of note was during the 15’ dive into a pool the splash completely undid the sport loop. I felt it immediately and raised my hand so it wouldn’t slip off but that was a fun near lost-my-watch moment.

So try to avoid jumping or diving into water with a sport loop.

The instructions for the sport loop recommend the tail be facing a specific direction for swimming activities, if it is the loop and not the band we're talking about

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I meant the sport loop.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The included instructions that no one reads because it's a watch band posted:

During water sports, attach the folded side of the band to the top of the Watch for a more secure fit

If this is how you were wearing it to begin with, then it's probably not suited for you in the pool.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Matt Zerella posted:

Yes but if not just ask and they’ll match it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Matt Zerella posted:

As was said before, yes. If you don’t see the promo price in your local store for whatever reason just pull it up on your phone.

Edit: I’m an idiot who doesn’t scroll to the bottom of the page before posting.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 12, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Welp, AppleCare finally proved worth it on my release-day S2. Crown somehow got hosed up so that any slight arm movement would trigger either Siri or the app list.

Sucked having to spend an hour on the phone trying to re-pair since random crown presses kept cancelling the process, but hey new scratch-free watch coming my way.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got my AppleCare replacement watch in the mail, but when I try to set it up, my only options are OS3 backups from 2016.

When I try to restore my old broken watch, which seems to be totally unpaired and not in Find My Device, I see backups from last week.

Any ideas?

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

eddiewalker posted:

I got my AppleCare replacement watch in the mail, but when I try to set it up, my only options are OS3 backups from 2016.

When I try to restore my old broken watch, which seems to be totally unpaired and not in Find My Device, I see backups from last week.

Any ideas?

The replacement watch probably doesn’t have the latest watchOS on it. You’ll need to pair it, update it, then unpair it again and start re-pairing to see the latest backups.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

The replacement watch probably doesn’t have the latest watchOS on it. You’ll need to pair it, update it, then unpair it again and start re-pairing to see the latest backups.

That's fantastic.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It just works. Confusingly.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yea. I guess that’s it. Here goes the all-afternoon process of pairing, updating, unpairing, re-pairing and restoring. Hooray.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Did all that hoop-jumping, got my replacement watch running on my most recent backup up.

Like, whoa, same model replacement feels like a hardware upgrade. Apps open faster, Siri face actually shows me things besides the weather for the first time EVER. Siri actually does something besides “I’ll tap you when I’m ready.” The workout app lets me change activities without stuttering and freezing.

I only got a swap because the crown button broke, so I guess moral of the story is: try restoring your watch if you haven’t done so since 2016. It might fix all the poo poo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

eddiewalker posted:

Did all that hoop-jumping, got my replacement watch running on my most recent backup up.

Like, whoa, same model replacement feels like a hardware upgrade. Apps open faster, Siri face actually shows me things besides the weather for the first time EVER. Siri actually does something besides “I’ll tap you when I’m ready.” The workout app lets me change activities without stuttering and freezing.

I only got a swap because the crown button broke, so I guess moral of the story is: try restoring your watch if you haven’t done so since 2016. It might fix all the poo poo.

Yeah my S2 watch feels like a S3 after I wiped and restored. I've only had this watch for one WatchOS cycle, and I figured that Apple devices don't need to be nuke-and-paved anyway, but I was totally wrong. Its a pain that I have to actually janitor my watch more than my phone now, but hey at least its actually performing tasks in a reasonable time again.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My watch constantly sends notifications for my own texts in a conversation when I send them from my phone. Is this normal behavior or a setting or?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

eddiewalker posted:

try restoring your watch if you haven’t done so since 2016. It might fix all the poo poo.

My Series 1 is kinda sluggish. Is the full process to unpair, reset, restore from backup? Or is there another step I need to take?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ManSedan posted:

My Series 1 is kinda sluggish. Is the full process to unpair, reset, restore from backup? Or is there another step I need to take?

The act of unpairing makes a backup and erases the watch, so if everything goes right, you can just unpair then restore.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

bawfuls posted:

My watch constantly sends notifications for my own texts in a conversation when I send them from my phone. Is this normal behavior or a setting or?

It’s a weird bug I think. Comes and goes on old and fresh installs. Haven’t had it go on for longer than a couple messages though.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I suddenly got this problem when I upgraded to a new phone - went on for a few days for me until I gave in and restored the watch. Bit of a pain, but that fixed it for me.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone else have the problem where both Runkeeper and irunsmooth won't give audio cues? Runkeeper gave them when I first started using it then up and quit, I switched to irunsmooth and it has never given them.

For what it's worth I have audio cues set in both settings iPhone settings but I'm getting nothing.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Are you using and starting it from your phone? I believe Runkeeper won’t do audio cues for watch-only.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

fourwood posted:

Are you using and starting it from your phone? I believe Runkeeper won’t do audio cues for watch-only.

I'm NOT! Thanks for the tip. I didn't even realize that was possible (even though I must have done it a couple of times).

^^^ How exactly do I start a run via the app? Tried it tonight and couldn't figure it out.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 27, 2018

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
RunKeeper is supposed to launch the watch app automatically when you start a run on the phone. In practice that’s hit-or-miss for me.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

While we're at the subject of fitness apps, what's the deal with Health data? Somehow something always gets borked when I try apps other than the stock Activity app. After I upgraded to a 3 GPS, I decided I'd give Nike Run Club another chance (it constantly crashed on my old watch) and at first it worked fine but then completely refused to show my last run in the app. It shows up in Activity on the phone, calories get logged etc. but I can't view it in the NRC app which sucks because I was gonna get a medal :saddowns:

So I switched to Strava which seems pretty cool with the highscores for run segments but was rather puzzled when my first run showed up as zero calories in Strava (but the activity ring still filled up) but assumed that Strava runs somehow don't count. It logged pace and time fine. Then I ran the second time and once the run uploaded to the phone, it updated the calorie count by about 200ish calories and is showing calorie count. The first run however is still shown at zero calories (but 500ish calories logged in the stock app still). I dunno if that makes any sense. All I'm doing is starting a workout on my watch, running without the phone and then stopping the workout, then waiting for it to upload to the phone.

I wonder if it's even worth the hassle to use apps besides the stock app for measuring workouts.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've had the 0 cal thing happen before, but not in quite some time. No clue what the cause was, but it hasn't happened in a long time. Did it record any heartbeat data? Does Strava have access to read/write your health data?

Also, I think the goon-consensus is that iSmoothRun is the best running app. May want to give that a shot. It can export data to all of your favorite services (RunKeeper, Strava, Garmin, etc).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

It reports everything, pace, time, heartrate - just not calories. Weird but eh, I can view my stats in the app otherwise.

I’ll give iSmoothRun a shot, thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've reverted to using the Activity app because it's the only thing that just works and doesn't require a ton of fussing. It's bad when I want to do intervals, but apparently intervals are REALLY loving HARD as every single app I've tried has had some deal-breaking failure.

iSmoothRun does technically "work" but it has problems staying in the foreground on the watch, setting up intervals is some excel spreadsheet type data entry poo poo, and has no haptics.

So I turn on a run tracker in Activity and watch the clock if I want to do intervals. :geno:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Well gently caress, if it has trouble staying in the foreground that’s kind of a dealbreaker. Guess I’ll still try it out.

But jeez how hard can it be to have the apps access the activity data and just use Activity and then view your stats in whatever app?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've literally never had a problem with iSR not being in the foreground. I don't even understand how it's possible for it to not be after you start it, unless you're accidentally pushing buttons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No clue. Best guess it was related to the wake screen settings I had, but I didn't care enough to get to the bottom of it. Activity works correctly so I moved on. :iiam:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Yeah, I stopped using Strava on the watch (running without my phone) because it consistently would knacker my splits by thinking I ran the first kilometre at around double speed. Dunno if it was still trying to grab my home wifi or something but it happened enough that I abandoned it for the stock Activity app.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
ismoothrun has never once stayed in the foreground of my watch. I check it multiple times during a run and just leave it there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Like, if you get a text while you’re running, it takes a minute or so for iSR to come back to the foreground. I’m pretty sure that’s a watch setting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I’ve had concerns about the accuracy of the Strava app on my Apple Watch series 1 - often undermeasuring distance. Turns out that when running it only uses the accelerometer for calculating this - with consequential effects for pace measurements etc (even though I always carry my phone with me when running). I think this is the same even on watches with built in gps.

I tried ismoothrun and just didn’t like it. All far too fussy and the one run I took it on was even less accurate than Strava. Maybe I got unlucky but I didn’t like it enough to persevere.

But then I found ‘HealthFit’ that synchronises Apple Watch activities to a variety of run tracking services including Strava. I use the built in activity app on the watch and it’s rock solid and accurate.

So that’s my story and my recommendation.