Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

There was a HEMA tournament today and turns out the French have a dece poleaxe ruleset: You get points for pushing the opponent out of the ring, throwing them to the ground, or hitting them in the head with the axe head, point or tail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFs0XBXWIps&t=1667s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Back to fencing after ten-month injury hiatus and early signs are that... I'm fencing about as well as I was 10 months ago? I figured I wasn't in a great place at the time, I guess it turns out I really wasn't in a good place.

Also happy times down here as UNC and Duke found something to unite over: beating Notre Dame in the ACC Championships. Men's team for Duke and women's team for UNC. The women's team finished in a three-way tie breaker decided by a single saber touch. I guess when your Olympic students graduate, the curve flattens outs.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Glad to hear you're back on the piste!

Today I finally got around to fencing epee and... I liked it. :ohdear:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Changed kendo club after 10 years at the same place.
Feels really weird, but instruction at 'new' place is very good.
Old place was much more competition oriented (multiple national team members, etc) and while I certainly enjoyed my time there and still enjoy competing, it just isn't my primary focus any more.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

Glad to hear you're back on the piste!

Today I finally got around to fencing epee and... I liked it. :ohdear:

Don't let the haters get to you, all the weapons are the best/worst weapon. Now try sabre, quinte parry-riposte to head is just the best :getin:
What do you like about epee in particular?

Is there much overlap between members at your new/old clubs, Implicit? Good to see that you are enjoying the new one, though!

In other news I got one of the Uhlmann combo foil/epee masks with the removable bib and lining. Solid stuff, but the lining is held on by velcro which comes half-off and scrapes against my chin every time I put the thing on. Maybe I need to try to bend the frame a little so it's easier to get my head inside? At any rate my old mask was a second-hand no-brand one with disintegrating lining. Might give it away to a fencer in need after I've give it a very thorough wash...

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unlike foilists, epee fencers seem to have a modicum of chill. I've been having trouble dealing with marching attacks because I'm bad at finding the blade on defense and bad at denying it on offense, so using the actual point to threaten is very refreshing.

Also, scoring with a basic parry-riposte against an epeeist feels real good. :smug:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Is there much overlap between members at your new/old clubs, Implicit? Good to see that you are enjoying the new one, though!

None. A few people will visit other clubs from time to time, (I tend to do that), but people don't move around much. It probably also raised more than a few eyebrows, as it's not really a done thing, but my 'old' teacher understands why and there's no drama on that end.
I am, however, having to re-learn just about everything. It's a reboot that's been way overdue and while the practices are nowhere near as hard, I'm just as exhausted, just by the amount of focus I have to put into it. It's frustrating as I can't move, can't hit anything, but there's the odd moment where things work enough that makes it more than worthwhile. There's a competition coming up in May, but I think I'll just skip it, as it might just prove to be counter productive at this stage.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
which one of you was this

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wrong thread. You'll want to ask the Martial Arts thread which Wing Chun master it was...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

None. A few people will visit other clubs from time to time, (I tend to do that), but people don't move around much. It probably also raised more than a few eyebrows, as it's not really a done thing, but my 'old' teacher understands why and there's no drama on that end.
I am, however, having to re-learn just about everything. It's a reboot that's been way overdue and while the practices are nowhere near as hard, I'm just as exhausted, just by the amount of focus I have to put into it. It's frustrating as I can't move, can't hit anything, but there's the odd moment where things work enough that makes it more than worthwhile. There's a competition coming up in May, but I think I'll just skip it, as it might just prove to be counter productive at this stage.

Aww hell, I've been trying to kill bad habits and relearn for half a year or so, it's slow going but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Why isn't it a done thing to attend more than one club? Styles too different between clubs/coaches? Most fencers I know go to at least two clubs just to get more fencing in (yes, I think I may have a problem).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Aww hell, I've been trying to kill bad habits and relearn for half a year or so, it's slow going but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Why isn't it a done thing to attend more than one club? Styles too different between clubs/coaches? Most fencers I know go to at least two clubs just to get more fencing in (yes, I think I may have a problem).

Ahh, various reasons. The various clubs do tend to strike up 'relationships' with other 1 or 2 other clubs and the more keen members will practice more freely in both places.
In general, I will be wary offering advice to a student belonging to another club unless it's something uniquely related to the style I'm playing (I'm one of the few playing from the upper guard) or generic advice. I would rarely offer detailed technical advice or stylistic advice as it may go counter to what he/she is being taught at 'home'.
For better and for worse, teachers tend to think of students as 'theirs' (and vice-versa). The current generation is pretty good, but the older generation of teachers certainly had their run-ins. (No, not fighting, just arguing and stupid politics).

Rebooting; Yes. Its good. I've tried several times, but was never getting enough/the right feedback to make big enough/sustained changes. I'm pretty determined not to let this opportunity go by.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Started rapier practice, time to try something that isn't longsword for a while.

So far i love it. The fact that you can actually score cuts with it makes it a bit closer to a sports fencing saber with gigantism than a spawn of épée.
Rapier and main gauche or rapier and cloak is stupid amounts of fun too. Getting a proper parry or capture with a main gauche is the most satisfying thing. :hist101:

Neltharak fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 14, 2018

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Your prayers have been answered, rigid chest protectors will have been a thing of the past next season.

Real interested to see if and how this changes the women's foil game over the next few seasons. Also, guess I must go to the October NAC to learn how we're doing those inspections. Looks like the USFA rule is going to require homologation, so that should make it pretty easy.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

All right! Maybe that'll help with my terrible distance problems :( one day I'll be able to do a riposte that starts with the hand, not the foot

I went to a major regional competition the other weekend and got my rear end handed to me by some very good fencers, but I think I finished around the top of the "casual scrub" tier, which is somewhere I'm pretty happy to be. In other news, I'm an awful person:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 12, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of losses, I broke my last foil and don't have any money to replace it. :(

Meanwhile, hanging out on the HEMA discord channel's made me want to go back and do longsword again, but that'd mean getting new breeches and other other protective kit. Hobbies are stupid. :retrogames:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It took a while to find freeze-frames with the blades in just the right positions

Yeah, one of my foil blades and also my lame failed recently so there goes a chunk of cash. On the plus side, the replacements should last for a good few years with any luck. What make was your blade?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The last one was a not-FIE one from PBT. Lasted maybe a couple of months, but that's probably more on my dumb rear end than the blade. The one before that was the Vniti I got in March last year. It died in a competition back in April. It was nice enough that I think I'll get a couple more once I find the money.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Trying to learn the longsword (HEMA) with a lightsaber because an actual sword is hard to find and our law enforcement is awful (lol Philippines). It's pretty fun but I do most of my learning alone since it's hard to meet up with my friends (who also own lightsabers and are trying to learn actual fencing with it, not Star Wars twirly stuff).

I also want to learn the spear so I'm looking for a staff for starters. Is anyone knowledgeable with that? There are less references online for it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Ah yeah, I was going to recommend vnitis. Reasonably priced, medium flexibility, and they last quite a long time.

Schneider, if you want to do a two-handed sword sport have you tried kendo? I hear that a lot of the lightsabre stuff from the movies was based on japanese sword stuff and it might be much easier to find gear/a club/etc.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Joachim Meyer's staff is said to be a good system for all kinds of polearms and there's a good English translation available. Roger Norling from Sweden's done a basic workbook as well as a couple of videos for Meyer's staff, but I recommend getting the book as well since there's a lot of important stuff in the chapters for other weapons.

Mind you, Meyer's an early modern chap. Medieval spear combat is more about armoured fighting and getting into that is a bit more of a hassle.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schneider Heim posted:

Trying to learn the longsword (HEMA) with a lightsaber because an actual sword is hard to find and our law enforcement is awful (lol Philippines). It's pretty fun but I do most of my learning alone since it's hard to meet up with my friends (who also own lightsabers and are trying to learn actual fencing with it, not Star Wars twirly stuff).

I also want to learn the spear so I'm looking for a staff for starters. Is anyone knowledgeable with that? There are less references online for it.
how long of spear

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Schneider Heim posted:

:shrug: Why not use a lightsaber for solo practice? It should be long enough though and you absolutely need to attach a crossguard.

An alternative could be plastic longsword simulators (some of which are actually a surprisingly good compromise between the "real" feeling and safety when it comes to free fencing). Everything made from plastic is of course far to light. But its better than nothing.

Maybe a wooden simulator made from some dense wood? You can build those yourself.

Although YMMV: even though plastic/wooden swords CLEARLY are made from plastic/wood , they also CLEARLY are weapons simulators so your law enforcement might still get triggered.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 14, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Plastic is fine, they suck at simulating binds but that's not an issue for solo practice.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

P-Mack posted:

Plastic is fine...
I feel that the lack of the proper weight actually is a big deal because its very easy to move a light blade quickly and accurately even with bad technique.
Doing that with a heavy blade is another game altogether. But eh, some tradeoffs need to be made.

P-Mack posted:

Plastic is fine, they suck at simulating binds but that's not an issue for solo practice.
Dont laugh, but we fixed that issue by just adding masking tape to our plastic simulators.
I mean, they are still kinda wobbly in the bind of course, but the masking tape adds enough friction to allow feeling the direction of the pressure.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 14, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Not all plastics are made equal, either. Blackfencers for instance are pretty close to the real thing, which is good for your form but also means you really need to get proper sparring kit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Rawlings plastics are actually pretty good too. I have been using a Rawlings basked hilted broadsword sim for solo work and pells and it's a lot sturdier than you would expect for a plastic. Weight's not bad either, I'd happily spar with it, although not against a steel feder as squared edges would mar it pretty badly.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Nektu posted:

:shrug: Why not use a lightsaber for solo practice? It should be long enough though and you absolutely need to attach a crossguard.

Kylo Ren's saber is pretty expensive, but I'm ordering a 36 inch blade.

Also the spear would be 6-8 feet. Thinking of building a lightsaber pike to get around law enforcement again but it would be pricier. But at least I could disassemble it for easier transporting.

I'll think about kendo! It could be fun but I'm concerned about the gear, which might set me back a lot.

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 18, 2018

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Our club uses Purpleheart Armoury synthetic feders, and the vinyl actually simulates a bind pretty well; some of our members line the edge with hockey tape to simulate edge-on-edge binding, which leaves the flat nice and slippery, not unlike steel.

http://www.woodenswords.com/Meyer_Federschwert_Longsword_with_Fuller_p/type-iii-f.htm

The crossguard, admittedly, does look pretty dorky, but it works; the rubber tips make crossguard techniques a bit less dicy to use, if you're being safety-conscious. The pommel is still solid steel though, so no Mordschlag.

In terms of weight, they're actually pretty comparable to some of the lighter steel feders out there.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The tip of my epee died on me. Now I have to bust the drat thing open and check every part of the godawful mess of springs down there. The only thing I have left is a longsword.

:retrogames::negative::retrogames:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, on the plus side epees are relatively easy to sort out. What's wrong with it? So long as the barrel is OK (can't replace that without rewiring) a new tip and spring should set you back about :10bux: at most.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It doesn't register touches. I'm hoping it's just the smaller spring not making contact. I've even got a spare tip I can scavenge for parts, so it's only a matter of :effort:

Fenced longsword for the first time in ages on Friday. It was fun, I should make some time for HEMA again. :shobon: People complimented my footwork while I was all "oh my God why can I not move" and also "how is this kit even hotter than fencing gear". :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schneider Heim posted:

Also the spear would be 6-8 feet.
:mediocre:

Siivola posted:

"how is this kit even hotter than fencing gear"
how big / nordic are you? because i have noticed that one of my greatest strengths in reenacting is that (despite the fact that my skin gets flushed and blotchy almost immediately, and i sweat like a hog) i can keep going no matter how hot it is, long after the big german/dutch dudes around me have tapped out or passed out

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 1, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

What is a non- :mediocre: length, anyway? 8 feet is already hard to transport and I don't even have a car/truck.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schneider Heim posted:

What is a non- :mediocre: length, anyway? 8 feet is already hard to transport and I don't even have a car/truck.

pikes are 15-18 feet long, friend

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

HEY GUNS posted:

pikes are 15-18 feet long, friend

But aren't those supposed to be used in formation and not in dueling? I might just make do with a staff instead.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Schneider Heim posted:

But aren't those supposed to be used in formation and not in dueling? I might just make do with a staff instead.

You are literally asking this of a reenacter. I'm not sure if Hey Gal does this outside of formation work.

For the Americans out there, Summer Nats are happening! They've already had one scheduled midnight ending day and a tornado warning at the venue. Only six more days to go! I'm so glad that I'm not working it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

how big / nordic are you? because i have noticed that one of my greatest strengths in reenacting is that (despite the fact that my skin gets flushed and blotchy almost immediately, and i sweat like a hog) i can keep going no matter how hot it is, long after the big german/dutch dudes around me have tapped out or passed out
I'm strictly medium-sized but I'm Nordic as heck. I don't think I sweat enough for this kind of stuff? I just get red and damp and then tap out.

Modern fencing's given me a tiny bit larger a gas tank than I used to have, though. Everyone else tapped out first at the HEMA club. :kimchi:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BirdOfPlay posted:

For the Americans out there, Summer Nats are happening! They've already had one scheduled midnight ending day and a tornado warning at the venue. Only six more days to go! I'm so glad that I'm not working it.

Sometimes I feel sad that I've never qualified (an amazing feat considering how many ways you can do it), but deep down inside I think I know that I probably would rather not go.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

I'm strictly medium-sized but I'm Nordic as heck. I don't think I sweat enough for this kind of stuff? I just get red and damp and then tap out.
yeah you gotta get used to heat

i'm not big, i'm not strong, i am only medium fast, but i can walk all loving day no matter what the temperature is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Growing up in the south is basically cheating.

In other news, I fixed the epee! :toot: Stretching the contact spring a bit seems to have done the trick, but I need to check I didn't go too far with proper gauges some time.