Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Meallan posted:

Anatomy. You're never actually in danger.

Someone mentioned this about Anatomy the other day, but I totally agree that the game was freaky as poo poo in large part because I had no idea what the "rules" of gameplay are so I'd encourage you to just play it and not read that spoiler. Though even though I figured out that spoiler pretty early on (or rather, strongly assumed it) I don't think it made the game less deeply unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
yeah. just play ANATOMY. no spoilers allowed

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

A.o.D. posted:

How is Layers of Fear, by the way? I picked it up, but I'm replaying Alien Isolation right now, and want to get through the Prey DLC before I try it out.

I bounced off it as hard as a baby running face first into a bookcase.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bogart posted:

yeah. just play ANATOMY. no spoilers allowed

Anatomy is the S tier of janky indie horror games.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

I disagree emphatically with Frictional games largely because, again, I feel like you have to drastically change the rules and present weapons differently. It's really difficult from a design point though because you have to really get across to the player that this is not like other games. In most games, a weapon is just a magic wand that makes bad guys go away if you click enough.

Agreed - I'm sympathetic to the Frictional guys because this is difficult, and on balance I kinda like most of their stuff, but I think they made a really bad call on this one and it's pretty telling that so many people think SOMA is better if you just remove the enemies entirely. They ran into a design challenge, decided to address it with less interactivity, and the result was not a good solution no matter how many times they do it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I find that complaint with SOMA very interesting - those monsters have really odd design, in a good way. I feel like if they tied into the game's themes more, were better fleshed out as sort of tragic characters, or maybe helped give more background on some of the setting's background instead of being "generic threat" it could have been amazing. Not that SOMA is bad, but I feel like they got stuck in a corner with the Amnesia series of baddies all being one type of enemy with no real plot relevance.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If we're talking pie-in-the-sky, if you could talk to the enemies or if they didn't regard you as a real threat which makes sense, since their only concern is human preservation, and you're a preserved human so they'd peacefully trundle along like Big Daddies.

vv: Yeah, that sounds right. Dunno. Been a while.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 15, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Soma spoilers

A lot of the enemies in Soma aren't actually interested in preserving humanity, they're failed attempts by the WAU to preserve humanity, but they went nanners and only attack you because you're full of delicious nanite juice, which they want. You're the first attempt of a copy human by the WAU that didn't immediately poo poo itself upon finding out it's a copy

I think anyway, it's been a while.

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.

Kokoro Wish posted:

I bounced off it as hard as a baby running face first into a bookcase.

Was it meant to show the Protagonist's daughter having an accident like that, like, smashing her face against the wall when she was a toddler? I always assumed that and it kinda made me wince. I had a niece where that happened.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

layers of fear is worth playing. its definitely one of the funniest horror games i've played

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Quicksilver6 posted:

Are there any first person horror games that actually balance the survival horror with somewhat realistic gun mechanics?

Escape from Tarkov has all of that in loads when starting out. It's not primarily a horror game, though some of the environments have a horror vibe, but close gunfire in that game triggers the kind of reaction in me that I've never gotten in games, horror or not. The tactic of running away and hiding also works very well in Tarkov. And I've had many, many deaths where I got startled and started firing wildly around the target without aiming down sights, classic horror death. Part of why it works as a horror game I think is that the environments look lived in, and then abandoned, unlike the usual clinical quality in milsims. It's similar to the horror-ish parts of SWAT4 in that.

Gun mechanics-wise you can die from forgetting to set your gun to auto, or loading the wrong kind of ammo and finding out only during a shootout. Since a couple patches back loading ammo into magazines is done in real time, though I haven't gotten killed yet while reloading (because I'm good at running away and hiding). Or when it gets dark and you don't have night vision, one time I got stuck in the middle of a spread out group of players moving through one of the maps at night who somehow failed to notice me, that kinda reminded me of that scene in True detective, with the helicopter? Gun fire and tracers to the left, yelling to the right, ai flashlights thrashing around, I sneak behind stuff and try to get ahead but repeatedly end up in the middle of it. It was like a tightly scripted CoD mission, but it happened on its own, and I did survive. Mostly because it was a naked run, if I had a gun I probably would've done something stupid. But it was still tense because I had a quest item on me.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Parachute posted:

tbf those sound exactly like the games my wife would like; interactive horror movies with little to no combat whatsoever of any kind

in fact, anyone got some good recommendations for those?

echoing anatomy but my partner really likes all of kittyhorrorshow’s other games too. some of them are free.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is any game these days fully utilizing the kind of Uncanny Valley that Low Polygon can trigger? Because I'm watching Omnikron and see characters try to "talk" and its both hilarious and unnerving watching these things wriggle and strech to pantomime human movement and I think there is something there. Not too archaic like early 90s. Late 98-early 2000 era polygons could really hit something special I feel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Painscreek Killings is already pulling me in. Just having some trouble with the sheer amount of potential homes to open. It’s almost like the village too big for the amount of content.

The most terrifying thing so far has been the cemetery code at the very beginning of the game. ”The gate is already unlocked."

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 15, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Has there ever been a horror game where you're not in any danger, not because the enemies can't actually kill you, or they're benevolent but alien to a point where their actions or shape or whatever seem horrific, but because they're just monsters that are scaring you because they like scaring people? Like, not actual malice, just mischief? I could see that working great in an asynchronous multiplayer game where the 'monster' character has to set up scares to scare the other people while they try to complete some kind of objective, instead of directly interacting, but I could see it working in a more traditional game too.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gloomy Rube posted:

Has there ever been a horror game where you're not in any danger, not because the enemies can't actually kill you, or they're benevolent but alien to a point where their actions or shape or whatever seem horrific, but because they're just monsters that are scaring you because they like scaring people? Like, not actual malice, just mischief? I could see that working great in an asynchronous multiplayer game where the 'monster' character has to set up scares to scare the other people while they try to complete some kind of objective, instead of directly interacting, but I could see it working in a more traditional game too.

only thing that comes to mind is the first 50 floors of Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

only thing that comes to mind is the first 50 floors of Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion

Yeah I was really disappointed with the rest of that game because it looked like it was going to be totally something I would enjoy and then they just went "nah she's actually super evil" :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of horror games and realistic reloading times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kLvbWhoAYQ

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Painscreek Killings is already pulling me in. Just having some trouble with the sheer amount of potential homes to open. It’s almost like the village too big for the amount of content.

The most terrifying thing so far has been the cemetery code at the very beginning of the game. ”The gate is already unlocked.

The game is a tad more linear than appears at first. There's always choice of places to go but there's also obviously higher level clues that are inaccessible if you haven't found lower level ones.

And yeah it was those little things that were scaring me so much because I went into the game expecting a mystery/detective game. And there's nothing anywhere about any survival or stealth mechanics and then it's just you do know you're not alone in here right? *wink*

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meallan posted:

The game is a tad more linear than appears at first. There's always choice of places to go but there's also obviously higher level clues that are inaccessible if you haven't found lower level ones.

And yeah it was those little things that were scaring me so much because I went into the game expecting a mystery/detective game. And there's nothing anywhere about any survival or stealth mechanics and then it's just you do know you're not alone in here right? *wink*

God, the hospital hosed me up. Following clues while creepy music plays, got the next key, lights suddenly all go out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Gloomy Rube posted:

Dead by Daylight is kind of like this. You can more or less immediately kill people, but if you want to get a good score then you have to chase them, hang them on hooks and let them get rescued, and generally screw with them. Meanwhile the survivors need to fix generators to open exit doors.

VVV ah I thought by "not because the enemies can't actually kill you" you meant monsters that screw with you first. My bad

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 15, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Dead by Daylight is kind of like this. You can more or less immediately kill people

What part of "Not actually in any danger" did you not get :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's that Hide and Shriek game that I guess fits maybe? Each player is invisible and you have to lay traps to apook the other while meeting your goal.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Len posted:

There's that Hide and Shriek game that I guess fits maybe? Each player is invisible and you have to lay traps to apook the other while meeting your goal.

This actually seems like exactly the sorta thing I was looking for. Is it any good? I learned years ago to not trust steam reviews :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gloomy Rube posted:

This actually seems like exactly the sorta thing I was looking for. Is it any good? I learned years ago to not trust steam reviews :v:

I only played one game of it and I was very confused. Is it still free? That was when I picked it up

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Hmm, I wonder if Hide And Shriek has any good videos showing the gameplay?"

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

"Hmm, I wonder if Hide And Shriek has any good videos showing the gameplay?"

Considering those thumbnails, I'll assume the answer to your hypothetical question is "No"

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
John wolfe did a good one iirc

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm kind of torn because I think John Wolfe is one of the best Youtubers in the horror genre (that I'm aware of)--he's honest and generally gives good input, and he isn't a complete pain to watch like the hammier reaction streamers. BUT often times when things happen, John's just deadpan/nonplussed. Sometimes I wish he got a little more reactive...but I think he's just been desensitized.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm kind of torn because I think John Wolfe is one of the best Youtubers in the horror genre (that I'm aware of)--he's honest and generally gives good input, and he isn't a complete pain to watch like the hammier reaction streamers. BUT often times when things happen, John's just deadpan/nonplussed. Sometimes I wish he got a little more reactive...but I think he's just been desensitized.

I'm pretty sure a lot of horror YouTubers are desensitized and are just playing it up for the camera. PewDiePie did one video where he really hated the game and wanted to show how much he hated it, so he didn't react to anything. They were all the same jump scares he had flown out of his chair and screamed homophobic things about before, but now he had the fake personality turned off and it was just dead.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's a mix of desensitization and really just knowing most of the indie horror game tricks by this point, unfortunately as it's been for a while, a whole lot of them are incredibly derivative of one thing or another, if it's a looping hallway you know to expect P.T.'s other bits, survive the night game then you're on the lookout for mostly FNAF's gimmicks. Things still get him often enough, it's usually gotta be unexpected or after periods of calm though.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of horror YouTubers are desensitized and are just playing it up for the camera. PewDiePie did one video where he really hated the game and wanted to show how much he hated it, so he didn't react to anything. They were all the same jump scares he had flown out of his chair and screamed homophobic things about before, but now he had the fake personality turned off and it was just dead.

Also yeah all of this, there's no way all the usual faces are STILL mortified by cheap unity assets sliding after them, it's all in the effect of jangly keys for kiddies, OMEGALUL HE SCREAM AT THING!!!, while it's a lot easier to notice when those people also get genuinely startled now and then because it's not 1000000 decibel shrieking.

exquisite tea posted:

I like MrKravin's channel, he always seems to get emotionally invested in what he plays and is down for the ride whether it's good or bad.

Kravin's a good boy, most recently it was fun watching him get sick of Agony on-stream as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 16, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like MrKravin's channel, he always seems to get emotionally invested in what he plays and is down for the ride whether it's good or bad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the key to seeing genuine scares is just watch some real dumb motherfuckers play horror games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYlPE-uJRtM

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just don't go watch his early stuff. I clicked around and there was a lot of the more common wailing. He even commented on it once that his early stuff was "really silly"

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone play Amnesia custom stories on youtube that isn't a pewdiepie? I think there's a lot of untapped potential there but as far as I know there's basically no one doing them except the screaming type of youtuber.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

He’s been doing this for YEARS. He is 100% jaded and very rarely gets creeped or excited anymore, makes it a treasure when he does: his jaded nature becomes a decent litmus test for what’s actually worth trying.

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

Hey does anyone here own Alone in The Dark, 2008 version and have found it actually playable? (Whether it's a lovely game or not is another matter.)

I have it for PS2 and tried to play recently. This is the most broken game I've ever played on a console. I see it's also available for PS3 and 360. I would like to try this game again but only if those versions aren't also broken. At least they could be patched, r-right? What say you goons

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

shits.ridic posted:

Hey does anyone here own Alone in The Dark, 2008 version and have found it actually playable? (Whether it's a lovely game or not is another matter.)

I have it for PS2 and tried to play recently. This is the most broken game I've ever played on a console. I see it's also available for PS3 and 360. I would like to try this game again but only if those versions aren't also broken. At least they could be patched, r-right? What say you goons

The PS3 is supposedly heavily patched and has improved controls.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Is any game these days fully utilizing the kind of Uncanny Valley that Low Polygon can trigger? Because I'm watching Omnikron and see characters try to "talk" and its both hilarious and unnerving watching these things wriggle and strech to pantomime human movement and I think there is something there. Not too archaic like early 90s. Late 98-early 2000 era polygons could really hit something special I feel.

Look into Paratopic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just finished pain creek killing and lol the ending Sequence is so janky and contrived with really silly animation, whatever subtle horror had in the story is thrown out in favour of melodrama and incredibly stupid motives and somehow the ghost out of nowhere is the least silly of the whole story . It's a pity because I was really into it until I realised the murderer's identity