Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

moush posted:

I see a lot of people whining about Yrel being too weak, but she's very similar to Muradin in the right hands. With some slight number buffs she'll be fine.

"I see a lot of people whining about Yrel being too weak. With some buffs, she'll be fine."

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

TLV players what's the best way to deal with 2 lane maps talent and playwise?

I have TLV at level 9 now and basically only ever go for 1 build: the two merc talents, spin to win, play again, jump, AA ability refresher, and the final one where your attacks chain to non-heroes. Is it worth maybe beefing up Baelog or something instead of that if you get stuck on loving Braxis or HM? Which two vikings do you usually send to a lane together? I usually let Baelog deal with one lane while the other two go together.

One thing I realized is very important to get a good game out of them is collecting tons of regen orbs, since it bumps up their regen so much that by the end of the game they're a powerhouse, but with 2 lanes that becomes harder too, on Brax I usually make sure I grab the extra globes from the dispensers as soon as they spawn, but on HM you don't even have that...

By not picking TLV on a two lane map, or by not being in a situation where that could happen.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

SirSamVimes posted:

"I see a lot of people whining about Yrel being too weak. With some buffs, she'll be fine."

:thunk:

People are saying her entire kit is flawed, that's a lot different than minor number tweaks. These are the same people who had the kneejerk reaction to the Diablo rework.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I've never played support/healer, but have started playing Lili and it's been fantastic. You can really make a difference in a game with idiots (sometimes). Got the ninja skin for her too, she throws shuriken! Amazing.

I don't play at a very high level, only quick match, but it's been a blast.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

lucifirius posted:

By not picking TLV on a two lane map, or by not being in a situation where that could happen.

I have draft-o-phobia and only play QM

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

I have TLV at level 9 now and basically only ever go for 1 build: the two merc talents, spin to win, play again, jump, AA ability refresher, and the final one where your attacks chain to non-heroes. Is it worth maybe beefing up Baelog or something instead of that if you get stuck on loving Braxis or HM? Which two vikings do you usually send to a lane together? I usually let Baelog deal with one lane while the other two go together.

One thing I realized is very important to get a good game out of them is collecting tons of regen orbs, since it bumps up their regen so much that by the end of the game they're a powerhouse, but with 2 lanes that becomes harder too, on Brax I usually make sure I grab the extra globes from the dispensers as soon as they spawn, but on HM you don't even have that...

TLV are actually reasonable in the solo lane all together. Particularly on Braxis, because they can hold the point and soak the lane at the same time. I think Spin is absolutely essential though, because you won't have any kill pressure without it. I'd consider the Baelog talents on 1 and 4 for Braxis and Battlefield, but the merc camps are good on Mines so I'd keep the Merc talents. I'd also consider Boat ult since your Vikings are going to be together anyway, but Play again is still really good.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/ConoHong/status/1007213027920306177

patch owns

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes but does the fort stay in its new location after trait ends??

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's like that train suplex easter egg in FF6.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Throw me closer! I want to hit them with my mace!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

moush posted:

People are saying her entire kit is flawed, that's a lot different than minor number tweaks. These are the same people who had the kneejerk reaction to the Diablo rework.

Didn't Diablo get a quick buff after the rework?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A numbers buff, which is what moush is saying. He is saying that Yrel also just needs a numbers tweak to be good, and I agree. This is in contrast to those who say her need to charge abilities for 1.5 seconds needs to change.

Her being an "interrupt me" target is 100% fine for me. If she's eating enemy cds she's doing work. The only exception is Muradin skullcracker, which is pretty annoying to play against, but having a specific counter that is really annoying to play against =/= bad design.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

We got loving destroyed by an Yrel just now.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Carbot is wonderful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzIGVZyv4yk

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I've been playing again for the last week or so after a few years away. Cho'gall is up for 10k gold right now, is he viable in any sort of competitive environment?

Also, I'm trying to master a handful of characters so I can start playing ranked. If people bitch about low hero damage from my ETC, I should ignore them, right? Like, I don't know if he can even spec into a bruiser if I wanted to.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

MANime in the sheets posted:

I've been playing again for the last week or so after a few years away. Cho'gall is up for 10k gold right now, is he viable in any sort of competitive environment?

Also, I'm trying to master a handful of characters so I can start playing ranked. If people bitch about low hero damage from my ETC, I should ignore them, right? Like, I don't know if he can even spec into a bruiser if I wanted to.

As long as you have a competent cho/gall counterpart and an ideally Auriel healer to queue with enjoy your free wins.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the auriel part of the cho’gall draft is highly overstated, Ana and Morales are just as devastating or moreso. A competent cho’gall requires a level of coordination to beat that simply isn’t available in most plat-or-below games. People counterpick with like Leoric or Tychus or Malth and then act surprised that Cho’gall rips them to shreds anyways; beating him requires you to have multiple counters and coordinate your collapses on him very well, which most people don’t do. he also scales insanely into the lategame

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
That explains why I literally NEVER see him. I'm lvl 150 and I don't think I've seen him once.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

so Ana is bad right? sucks cause she's really fun

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
She seems to perform pretty well in HL outside of GM and whatever. You can heal from a very safe position and sleep dart is much stronger than it seems. Don't draft her with genji, tracer, or Lunara on your team if you value your sanity, but Tychus is no problem (and nanodin is crazy). She's not free wins like lili but she's fun if you feel like playing a healer that takes a little more effort.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Good Anas are fantastic. Bad ones are worse than a bot.

She ranges between "nailing clutch heals and sleeping the enemy mid-ult" and "missed every heal shot and got murdered by Murky", which is a way lower bottom end than even dps Tyrande or Tassadar.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Apparently I got a rare chest and some player icons just from watching streams on Twitch.

Edit: According to the chatbot in Dunktrain's chat, 3 hours gets you the chest, and 6 hours gets you the two portraits, which itself is citing reddit as a source.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 14, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

She’s extremely high skill floor for only moderate benefit. Her kit and numbers are solid, but it’s telling that high level AIs play her better than most humans do.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Ana's 13 tier is absurdly powerful and undervalued IMO.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ToastyPotato posted:

Apparently I got a rare chest and some player icons just from watching streams on Twitch.

Edit: According to the chatbot in Dunktrain's chat, 3 hours gets you the chest, and 6 hours gets you the two portraits, which itself is citing reddit as a source.

Real Blizz announcement here: https://heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/blog/21867505/heroes-of-the-storm-twitch-drops-2018-6-14/

On top of the two rewards you said, you can get a RNG chance to win unlocking all heroes (which, uh, how would they adjust if you already have all heroes? :flaccid:) and also:

quote:

We’ll also be giving out 1,000s of loot chests every day for the length of this promotion. Just tune into any Heroes of the Storm channel anytime between 5:00 PM PDT June 14 – 11:59 PM PDT July 12 for a chance to win!

http://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroes
http://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroesfr
http://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroesde
http://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroesru
http://www.twitch.tv/blizzheroeskr

June 12 - 18. It looks from https://esports.heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/schedule that there aren't any official matches until Saturday? It's unclear whether watching reruns counts.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Somebody on reddit compiled a list of game designer Matt Villers' responses to community questions abut Yrel. Here are my tl;dr:

quote:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20765138069#post-8

Q: why no Yrel healing on scoreboard?
A: we'll discuss it. Don't want scoreboard turning into an Excel spreadsheet. Also, cautious of toxicity of "Oh look Yrel more healing than Lucio :what:"

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20765138069?page=2#post-28

Response: Post-game "excel spreadsheet" would be baller tho
A: We agree. No details right now, but "on our radar"

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20765138069#post-14

Gripe: She's a solo lane bruiser who can't waveclear.
A: We think she can talent to be tank or bruiser. Claims of "no damage" or "can't waveclear" are largely hyperbole. Think Blaze.

Q: What if you use LMB instead of RMB to move? LMB when charging abilities can't be used this way & instead casts the ability.
A: Other charge move heroes like Cho'gall & Gaz already have this problem. Sorry! We'll look into it.

Gripe: We want more stats on post-game screen
A: We think it's cool but we're waiting until after more important game fixes

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20765138069?page=2#post-23

Q: Her "charge" gimmick feels like it was incorporated just to be a gimmick
A: 2-handed hammer lady shouldn't be zippy. CD management is rhythmic and thematic. We like. New play style some will enjoy. Play her a couple games before you write her off.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20765138069?page=2#post-24

Q: LMB to trigger charge moves - sometimes I accidentally click my talents when that UI pops up. Halp?
A: We'll discuss internally.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20765138069?page=2#post-29

Gripe: I really like Yrel and I want to play her. Plz make sure she's strong enough that I'm not hurting my team.
A: 'kay.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i own and have played every warrior a decent amount and my thinking on yrel is that she has problems but they're not simple numbers fixes

my two biggest complaints with her are

1. her animations while charging are cool but also tell your opponent exactly what you're doing and when they need to stun you to prevent healing/CC/escape
2. she isn't unstoppable mid-leap which can be really frustrating when you charge it all the way up and then jump over a bear trap or something and get pulled out of the sky

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

Got my free rare lootbox for watching MSB. RNGesus has blessed me:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

MANime in the sheets posted:

That explains why I literally NEVER see him. I'm lvl 150 and I don't think I've seen him once.

he’s also very hard to play and most people think he’s worse than he is because of that. cho has to be super on the ball with mobility and map awareness and he needs to coordinate well. He also has a lack of talent diversity at several tiers.

that said if you have a good cho, he can easily mount insane map pressure and once he starts to come online lategame is more than a match for 2-3 enemy heroes at once unless they’re hyper coordinated. Some of my biggest blowout wins have been as gall or with him on my team

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Erdricks posted:

Got my free rare lootbox for watching MSB. RNGesus has blessed me:

That owns

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Shibawanko posted:

Ideally this never happens in the first place because 2 lane maps are really awful for Vikings, but if that's the hand you're dealt:

I'd say go for damage over map control stuff. Group all three Vikings most of the time, Baleog maybe solo if need be but usually you should have a strong solo laner on a two lane map, or at least someone who can do it better in early game than Vikings can. Erik can grab those dispenser regen globes easily. 2 lane map usually means that encountering enemy heroes is unavoidable and frequent, so you generally want all Vikings together or doing camps while someone else handles the lane. Bribe could still be nice depending on the map, but I wouldn't make it a standard choice anymore, no.

Personally I'd do the beefed up Baleog stuff, then Spin to Win, get the Longboat ult, and just generally focus on being an annoying team fighter rather than a split pusher. Don't ignore the lane, but on a 2 lane map it's way less of a thing you have to constantly handle than on the big maps. Jump is still a must because it makes it way more safe for you to be team fighting, and Impatience is Virtue is also still a must because it reduces ALL your cooldowns, so that means more longboat funtimes, more Spins and more Jumps = more fighting. At 20 just soup up the Longboat.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I've got about 25k gold saved up. In a vacuum, what characters do you think everyone should have available?

I want to buy Murky, but I'venever played him and don't want to spend the gold if there's an easier/more impactful choice - I can get him eventually.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What types of heroes do you play?

Here's a non exhaustive list of solid picks for different roles.

Supports: Stukov, Malf, Lucio
Tanks: Johanna, ETC, Muradin, Garrosh, Diablo
Bruisers: Thrall, Sonya, Artanis
Assassins: Fenix, Kael, Tychus

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

bamhand posted:

What types of heroes do you play?

Here's a non exhaustive list of solid picks for different roles.

Supports: Stukov, Malf, Lucio
Tanks: Johanna, ETC, Muradin, Garrosh, Diablo
Bruisers: Thrall, Sonya, Artanis
Assassins: Fenix, Kael, Tychus

I'm still getting a feel for the game. It's my first MOBA. I played a fair bit back at release, but it's been a while. Right now I'm focusing on tanks just because I need to learn patience - my biggest problem is diving and hard-initiating too much and at the wrong times, plus it seems like they're not the most popular thing to play.

The only support I'm any good with is Li Li, and she's so easy I'd bet you could literally teach a primate how to be effective with her.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Lili rules and she's also really strong right now she she's a good support to be good at.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah LiLi's a funny case cause the serious players will widely tell you that she's bad cause you can't aim her heals, except the stats show that in fact she's pretty drat good until you hit Masters.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah LiLi's a funny case cause the serious players will widely tell you that she's bad cause you can't aim her heals, except the stats show that in fact she's pretty drat good until you hit Masters.
She works even there. Jun, Tempostorm's support player, has a 69.5% winrate with Li Li exclusively at Master/GM.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

She works even there. Jun, Tempostorm's support player, has a 69.5% winrate with Li Li exclusively at Master/GM.

Lol. Ya, LiLi good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Lili is op. Only downside is that you will raise your mmr way higher than it should go with her (this has been true in the past of nazeebo and sonya).

There are cheaper characters but the default picks I see for most roles right now seems to be:

Ranged AA: Fenix
Healer: Deckard
Solo: Sonya
Tank: Garrosh

Tons of other viable characters ofc, and there's no reason to buy the expensive characters immediately while cheaper ones are viable. Mages and melee assassins are optional and have more to do with comp and preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Have they buffed Sylvanas? Started playing her again and it feels like I've been doing a lot more damage with her than I was previously.

Also being a lane bully with her and possessing their minions is fun and effective for the whole family!