Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Though at the same time that opens up a mixup (at least last time I played) between following the shove with a light attack and following with a guardbreak. If they dodge, the guardbreak is guaranteed to land. Once you land that once or twice, people tend to be wary of trying to dodge immediately and you can sneak in some light attacks again. Not sure how it works out with a roll, though.
Yeah, you can simply roll away which is the main issue. The stamina drain you take for rolling is not much of an issue since lawbro doesn't really have any way to put pressure on out-of-stamina enemies. (Same issue the Warden currently has, really, though at least lawbro has a bunch of other tricks up his sleeve, and he's great in teamfights regardless)

Edit: If you're a parry god then Lawbro's still pretty dangerous though, since you can guarantee his impale attack that way for a wallsplat or ledge kill

Exodee fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Exodee posted:

That new gamemode reminds me of some of Chivalry's team objective maps, which were the best part of that game. Hopefully it won't be as defender-favored, though!

As well, unless they change it for release the new faction's feats are pretty hilarious. The monk hero can straight up teleport to a teammate on the other side of the map. :downs:

You can still dodge and/or roll out of the shove fortunately, else lawbro would be pretty cancerous. Although this does mean he becomes terrible in 1v1's the moment your opponents realize this.

Sorry, yes that's correct. You can follow up with a guard break to catch dodgy people. Unless they're doing a dodge attack, in which case it'll trump the guard break.

Still very strong though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks for the heads up! The Discord Link in the OP doesn't work and I couldn't find a For Honour discord in the masterlist. No biggy if there isn't one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So this game is on sale on Uplay and a friend of mine just bought it. Should I buy it or is the free edition that's also available good enough. How long would it take me to unlock the Lawbringer?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Game is fun, but I need to work to get used to controller set up. So many buttons.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

So this game is on sale on Uplay and a friend of mine just bought it. Should I buy it or is the free edition that's also available good enough. How long would it take me to unlock the Lawbringer?

Not long at all. The DLC characters might take a while though.

Played Brawl for an order. Had two allies disconnect because I finished their opponent after killing mine. Weebs never change.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

My glorious duels

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Download the free game, if you decide you want to stick around and unlock more dudes buy the full version for $15 and upgrade. You can try all of the heroes in training mode regardless of what’s unlocked.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

2 or 3 matches to unlock the lawbringer

Maybe about 2 weeks for DLC heroes - honestly, if you really get into the game the season pass isn't a bad deal there. if you aim for the orders, which refresh every 48 hours during the week and every 24 hours on weekends.

E: wait you're talking about the starter edition, then it'd be about a week for the lawbringer.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 14, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

KillerQueen posted:

My glorious duels

It's kind of amazing how mad people get when you play the game as designed. I love it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Two of my friends picked this game up free so we 4-stacked into Dominion and had a blast for hours. This game is so much fun when it has a community.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Are all you dudes talking about playing on PC, I was thinking about getting back into it because goddamn do I love me some china warriors and I'm hyped as gently caress for the monk in particular

how's my boy Warlord these days

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Babe Magnet posted:

how's my boy Warlord these days

Still fantastic in 4's due to superarmor and his obscene throw range. Shove people into walls all day, interrupt them with headbutts, and laugh as your teammates tear them to ribbons. Hold a point forever with your sheer bulk.

1v1, he's in a pretty bad place. Outside of your opponent making mistakes, your only real way to open people up is headbutt -> poke, and that just tickles people. You'd have to get pretty good at some feint fuckery in order to get any damage out against a defensive player, and may god have mercy on your soul if you go up against a Lawbringer.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

upsetting, he was in a good spot in duels last time I was playing and he was a pretty reliable rage generator

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Babe Magnet posted:

upsetting, he was in a good spot in duels last time I was playing and he was a pretty reliable rage generator

Part of the problem is that they changed how parries work somewhat recently; parrying a light attack guarantees a heavy in retaliation, whereas parrying a heavy attack only gives you time to throw a light. Parries also no longer guarantee a guardbreak, meaning confirming heavies that way is a no-go. This is overall a good thing, since it's made the game a bit more aggressive and you actually see people fighting instead of circling each other forever waiting for someone to attack. But it kinda screwed heavies that aren't Conquerer (who got a rework) since they were kind of reliant on parrying to get some damage in.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

hemale in pain posted:

Hey, I just saw you can get the starter edition for free!

https://free.ubisoft.com/promotions/for_honor/26/pc/login

You should never invest in Ubi starter editions, they are scams to extract money from you. If you're going to take advantage of this offer then treat it like a demo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is it normal for this game to drop you so much? I only managed to finish half the matches I started today because I'd get an internet disconnect out of nowhere. Sometimes it would admit it was the Ubisoft server, sometimes it would claim my ethernet connection broke (which didn't happen.)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Since the dedicated server switch was flipped months ago I’ve had zero issues. Are you playing vs AI games? I think those are still p2p hosting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

One match was ai. Another was versus humans. One said it was the servers being down and two said it was Ethernet disconnects, but I am not sure which paired with which.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

One match was ai. Another was versus humans. One said it was the servers being down and two said it was Ethernet disconnects, but I am not sure which paired with which.

I had this happen a ton of times tonight. I use wifi but it'd say my ethernet disconnected. This has never happened before so I can only assume something fucky is going on with how their system works. It would cause my computer to dc from the wifi that never went down.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No joke, I trained for 3 straight hours for this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oy1ZcG_Ljc

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No joke, I trained for 3 straight hours for this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oy1ZcG_Ljc

Deflects are the best

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Postoyevsky posted:

Deflects are the best

Man, I remember the wild times back in beta when Deflects were simply triggered by a regular block with a special timing. Assassins were so loving OP back then. :allears:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got this during the PSN sale. Any good tips, primers, videos, ect. out there to help me get good?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

The in-game training courses (basic and advanced) teach you every single mechanic the game has, I believe. So that would be a good place to start.
Other than that, I'd probably recommend either Kensei or Raider out of the starter heroes. The Raider is easy to pick up and teaches you most of the game's mechanics through their moveset, but Kensei's stronger overall. I'd advise against picking the Warden though; they're rather one-dimensional at the moment and are due for a rework soon. (or at least that's been hinted at during the recent E3)

Perestroika posted:

Man, I remember the wild times back in beta when Deflects were simply triggered by a regular block with a special timing. Assassins were are so loving OP back then. :allears:
Fixed that for you :v:
(I jest of course)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Some characters just aren't made for straight fights, not to say they can't win duels ever, but you're gonna be working so much harder and still possibly lose, guys like shugoki, lawbringer and after a level centurion are good examples, their real best job is being a disruptive rear end in a top hat and pinning/tying up people for your team to brain.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think Lawbringer is bad enough to really belong in that category. He's not the strongest but his parries are really good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't think Lawbringer is bad enough to really belong in that category. He's not the strongest but his parries are really good.

His off-parry choices are good, but that relies on actually parrying the ever-increasing roster of assassin bullshit is the problem, otherwise his only option out of neutral is head bops and shove when it lands gets you some good damage ideally.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I dunno about the other characters but Berserker and Peacekeeper are pretty easy to parry most of the time. Orochi is an rear end in a top hat but they're pretty horribly OP right now, just an objectively better Aramusha.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Though I always forget things are really different on console vs PC, my tips are mostly gonna come from PC outlook, where someone like Ara is crap because 60 FPS means he can't just jam on buttons and spin his guard like they can do on console and ruin people.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been playing the single player and when I had to do the Lawbreaker part, it was like pulling teeth. Everything about that class is slow. I did enjoy the Kensei, from what I've been mucking around with, though. Watching the in-game videos a bit and it seemed like there's a lot to the class without getting nuts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yardbomb posted:

Though I always forget things are really different on console vs PC, my tips are mostly gonna come from PC outlook, where someone like Ara is crap because 60 FPS means he can't just jam on buttons and spin his guard like they can do on console and ruin people.

That's what I said. Orochi is just an objectively better Aramusha.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I did enjoy the Kensei, from what I've been mucking around with, though. Watching the in-game videos a bit and it seemed like there's a lot to the class without getting nuts.

Put short, Kensei is really about feints and side attacks, also his real quick top light is good for finishing off people or just getting in tricky hits.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey...

hey...

this is a pretty cool game and I'm looking forward to whacking people with a stick when China comes out.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Apparently using the sweep on Valk is "loving leg oval office poo poo". Just wanted to let you know that you should avoid using half your mixup game if you play her in the future.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just loving lol if you bitch about any of Valkyrie's kit. Whine about how Raider is OP next why don't you. I literally haven't seen a single Valkyrie since I started playing again.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah like, the sweep is literally all she has and it's worse than it used to be at that, she's indisputably one of the worst off characters in the game and it blows me away that pubs can still get mad at her.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I've been getting back into the game recently, and picked up Berserker as a class that really clicked with me. Only problem is, when I'm playing actually good players that can parry the top unblockable attack every single time... I kind of don't know what to do to open them up reliably. I know I suck at this game still, but what are some good things to practice for opening up guards? It seems like they always counter my guard breaks too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jeremor posted:

I've been getting back into the game recently, and picked up Berserker as a class that really clicked with me. Only problem is, when I'm playing actually good players that can parry the top unblockable attack every single time... I kind of don't know what to do to open them up reliably. I know I suck at this game still, but what are some good things to practice for opening up guards? It seems like they always counter my guard breaks too.

Hello fellow Berserker main. Berserker's basic moveset is very easily shut down by parrying. There's no real solution to it -- no matter what, you cannot play the same way you normally would if your opponent can reliably parry you. Berserker is all about three things: unblockables, hyperarmor, and trading. Parrying, which is EXTREMELY easy to master, completely negates all of them. Berserker really doesn't have any fancy tricks up their sleeve past that. All you can do is rely on the basic combat mechanics to trick your opponent.

That means feinting. There are three basic Berserker feint moves you can do:
-Feint a heavy to bait their parry, then parry the heavy. This is extremely easy to gently caress up and gets you very little since your light attacks don't do much damage.
-Feint a heavy, then heavy from a different direction. They'll go to parry and you'll interrupt the heavy you baited out with a heavy. This is much better than parrying the heavy you baited out, because that would only get you a light. You can also bait out allblocks this way from classes that have them, then guardbreak them for a free heavy (and a possible light followup).
-Feint a heavy, then zone attack instead. Does comparable damage to a heavy.

You can also try mixing up some light attacks from directions they aren't blocking. Berserker's lights are pretty fast and hard to parry, so you can usually sneak them past your opponent's guards. You can also trick them with your S + Light + Heavy move which looks like you whiffed, and then brings out an unblockable when they try to punish you.

Berserker isn't fun against good players, unfortunately. It never will be. Parrying is so much easier to do than feinting, you'll always be playing on the backfoot because parrying completely shuts down your aggression. Ultimately your best bet is to play defensively and try to get good at parrying yourself, IMO. But that's not what makes Berserker fun, so fights become pretty tedious and frustrating. Unlike most heroes, Berserker is extremely fair and predictable, so you're kinda outmatched unless your mechanical skill is top notch.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually got this!

Does the community still flip their poo poo if I throw them off a ledge like in beta?