Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Angry Pie posted:

Sure but you can still see the blinking through a post-it, I recommend electrical tape instead.

This is exactly what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah seriously don't answer your phone. My (halfway true) excuse is that if there's not a name (there never is), it's 90% certain to be spam from a telemarketer, phisher, or vendor of some kind. You want to talk, just loving email.

My little call-back panel for missed calls on mine reached "999" and hasn't moved since then. I believe I've maxed the system. :haw: I also never set up my voice mail when I moved into my cube, so haha good luck just e-mail me you dopes.

Also, I've gotten some really great questions about project timelines this week. We have one that is delayed because a recovery method (analytical swabbing approach to find out how much of a chemical is on a piece of equipment) isn't finished yet, and because the raw materials going into the batch arrived damaged from Switzerland and had to be rejected. It spawned these wonderful questions...

:v: : "How long until the method is finished?"
:science: : "The validations keep failing, but they're working on it. They'll be done ASAP, but I can't give you a good date."
:v: : "When will they be done with the validation? Why is it failing? The team wants a date."
:science: : "If they knew why it was failing, I don't think it'd still be failing. They're not done. No hard date yet, but it's their top priority."

and...

:v: : "What about the materials? When will we receive a set that isn't damaged?"
:science: : "When I open the box and it doesn't shower me with powdery confetti. I told them how to package it and they didn't believe me. No better timeline, but your next shot is in 2 weeks when our accelerated shipment gets here."
:v: : "Will the package in two weeks be damaged?" :wtc:
:science: : "Magic eight ball says...."

Some fun details about that material: We have a very light, aerated material which arrives at Switzerland and gets sampled for release testing before it comes to us. They take a razor and slit open the side of the bag, pull out a powder sample, and then put a piece of tape over the razor-slit before throwing the bag in a box and sending it to the airport. From there, it is put into a depressurized cargo hold for transit to California. Thanks to the lovely combination of DEPRESSURIZED CARGO HOLD and AERATED POWDER MATERIAL, the pressure differential causes the bag to inflate relative to the environment, and the pressure blows the piece of tape off, scattering powder all over the inside of the box. Then it arrives to me and my QA group receives the material, rejects it outright, and takes a big old poo poo on my project timeline. This has happened three times straight because Switzerland doesn't believe me that their single piece of tape isn't going to hold back pressure differentials for shipment. :cocaine:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Angry Pie posted:

Sure but you can still see the blinking through a post-it, I recommend electrical tape instead.

Just tried this, five stars highly recommended.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sundae posted:

I always love questions like this - because you and I can totally see the future, right? :v:

(My usual answer of "I'm not clairvoyant, nor am I paid well enough to be even if I was" usually goes over well enough.)

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Sundae posted:

This has happened three times straight because Switzerland doesn't believe me that their single piece of tape isn't going to hold back pressure differentials for shipment. :cocaine:

Sounds like you do know the answer to this:

quote:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Nice

My boss just assigned me a task that was due an hour and a half in the past and was literally impossible given the tools I have available.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Renegret posted:

Nice

My boss just assigned me a task that was due an hour and a half in the past and was literally impossible given the tools I have available.
Just try your best.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hoodwinker posted:

Just try your best.

good thing I already set that bar pretty fuckin' low

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Like any good post, I left out the part that makes it a completely reasonable request.

He only asked me for help because he couldn't figure it out himself and wanted a fresh perspective. I confirmed what he already suspected, the only way to do it would be more of an incomplete best guess that would have needed to be ran manually and would have taken an entire day. He didn't notice the time frame, so when I pointed it out he said "oh well, if it was that important they would've said something by now" and we ignored it.

Then I went back to shitposting on something awful.

Our change control process is awful.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

On a conference call right now, with a client talking to a bunch of us staffing firms about an opening. They ask everyone to put themselves on mute unless they have a question. 2 minutes into the call someone puts the conference call on hold, playing loud hold music to everyone on the call for several minutes.

They just now managed to stop it. The most amazing part is that the person doing it fessed up to it. I'd never admit that was me if that happened.

Edit: Ohhhh the hiring manager is legitimately mad. Like not even laughing it off, he's pissed, I can hear it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 13, 2018

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Renegret posted:

Like any good post, I left out the part that makes it a completely reasonable request.

He only asked me for help because he couldn't figure it out himself and wanted a fresh perspective. I confirmed what he already suspected, the only way to do it would be more of an incomplete best guess that would have needed to be ran manually and would have taken an entire day. He didn't notice the time frame, so when I pointed it out he said "oh well, if it was that important they would've said something by now" and we ignored it.

Then I went back to shitposting on something awful.

Our change control process is something awful.

Ftfy

This afternoon I'm going to have a nice career talk with my boss. This could be what breaks my faith in my management so far, but he also just acknowledged the amount and importance of the work I've been doing wrt our core processes so I'm hopeful.

Wish me luck

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Had a good laugh about that voicemail post.

Seriously tho phones are still super useful when vendors keep ignoring a particular part of your email. Or to get a quick answer internally.

I’ve been in a buyer position since last (edit: this feb, like 3.5 months ago) feb. ive gotten over 14,000 emails in that time. :shrek: never thought I would miss banking

tesilential fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 13, 2018

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I was on a notification clearing spree one Friday afternoon and managed to reset my voicemail PIN to my desk line. This is a desk line number that is never given out (I mainly go to client sites and I have a cell phone), so the only person who had left me messages was a headhunter who somehow found the number and left me 24 bi-weekly messages that all started the same way.

“‘eyyyy man how’s it hanging it’s”-*delete*,

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I literally lolled at that one :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Democratic Pirate posted:

I was on a notification clearing spree one Friday afternoon and managed to reset my voicemail PIN to my desk line. This is a desk line number that is never given out (I mainly go to client sites and I have a cell phone), so the only person who had left me messages was a headhunter who somehow found the number and left me 24 bi-weekly messages that all started the same way.

Dang, you coulda been poached by Anthony Scaramucci?!

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Sydin posted:

There is a salesperson I'm currently dealing with for a product we're trying to upgrade who does not have an email. Just a phone number. I have tried numerous times to cut them out of the loop and just talk with the vendor directly but apparently we have a service agreement with this distributor and I have to go through them and this goddamn dinosaur who refuses to get an email address. Public Sector, ladies and gentlemen.

I work in medicine and one of my hospital counterparts nearly consistently refuses to email me. For very binary requests. She expected me to call a main, public line and get bounced around to find her. I put a kibosh on that but quick. I'm not spending 15 minutes of bullshit that could be solved in ~2.5 minutes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Eventbrite has opinions about my interests:

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I quit answering my phone since the only calls I ever get are for the person who used to sit in my cube. After almost a year they still haven't updated the number. I figure if it's important enough they'll send her an email.

I just got an email from my boss asking me about a document that I didn’t write, referenced in an email from two months ago. What. The. gently caress.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Lol if you actually have a desk phone in TYOOL 2018 and aren't a sales person

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
What advice do people have for learning on how the heck to train people? I’m somehow now directing 2 people on programming on a platform they’ve never touched.

It’s pretty obvious I’m incapable of explaining the nuances without suddenly devolving into minute technical jargon. I’d like to get better at this, but subjecting people to my trial and error attempts to learn how to explain should probably be a war crime.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

VanguardFelix posted:

What advice do people have for learning on how the heck to train people? I’m somehow now directing 2 people on programming on a platform they’ve never touched.

It’s pretty obvious I’m incapable of explaining the nuances without suddenly devolving into minute technical jargon. I’d like to get better at this, but subjecting people to my trial and error attempts to learn how to explain should probably be a war crime.
Give them a task that's slightly more challenging than their skill level, then answer their questions as directly and with as few tangents as possible. Additionally, pair program with them and let them drive. Ask them questions with the answer being what they need to execute.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

Lol if you actually have a desk phone in TYOOL 2018 and aren't a sales person

The presence of desk phones among prospective co-workers is a major red flag for me when I'm looking for a new job. (I'm a software engineer so it's generally a bad idea for me to speak with customers. I'll tell them the truth. And that right there says something about the state of corporations and how they do business, if you ask me).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

VanguardFelix posted:

My best advice to you is to know when to quit if they're just not getting it. I was exhausting myself trying to explain basic MS Office functionality to an admin assistant we hired (I'm kicking myself for taking her at her word and not doing a basic skills test as part of the interview). If your company needs those people to use that program, it's up to them to put up the time and money for them to be trained on it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah seriously don't answer your phone. My (halfway true) excuse is that if there's not a name (there never is), it's 90% certain to be spam from a telemarketer, phisher, or vendor of some kind. You want to talk, just loving email.
I answer the phones about 90% of the time where I work and yeah, if you don't know who you're calling for, there's a -500% chance you get to talk to anyone. You get the abyss voicemail that never gets checked. Doubly so if you're asking for "the person in charge of __________" and you call every other day, because I already told you that we're not interested in outsourcing either [thing we get once a quarter via me driving to office max or whatever] or [thing our business is centered around]. You get a randomly created first name that doesn't exist here as a bonus.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
INTERNS MICROWAVED FISH

my cube smells overwhelmingly like tuna

Kill me

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hoshi posted:

INTERNS MICROWAVED FISH

Kill me

Kill your interns more like.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hoshi posted:

INTERNS MICROWAVED FISH

Kill me

Uh, I think that's the part where you sit the interns down and explain to them office etiquette. Ignoring it only makes them think it's okay, like letting a kitten play bite you because it's cute.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sydin posted:

Uh, I think that's the part where you sit the interns down and explain to them office etiquette. Ignoring it only makes them think it's okay, like letting a kitten play bite you because it's cute.

no

It's too late for them.

The only solution is murder.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s not murder, it’s self defence.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s not murder, it’s self defence.

Capital punishment.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

No jury would convict.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Attempted suicide by coworker.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Legally, interns are not even people, so it's actually just a civil matter.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2020

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I actually came into the office today, randomly got a call on my desk phone and it was a client who's always emailed before. :shrug:

It's a weird day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Had a nice discussion with my supervisor about the future of this company and my role in the department.

He flat out called our manager a loving idiot so I don't think the future's looking so hot. The second my plane lands from my honeymoon, I'm sending out more job apps.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Renegret posted:

Had a nice discussion with my supervisor about the future of this company and my role in the department.

He flat out called our manager a loving idiot so I don't think the future's looking so hot. The second my plane lands from my honeymoon, I'm sending out more job apps.

:same: on non optimism

I decided to try to find out if the donuts we sell are even as profitable as the little debbie poo poo they are probably stealing sales from and discovered that I literally can't because the invoices for the entire prepared-by-us foods department all get processed as one giant lump with no item distinction, so now I am trying to fix this whole situation before the owner gets it into his head to ask me something affected by that problem

what a stupid shithole I work at

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Renegret posted:

Congrats on your marriage regardless!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I’ve somehow managed to end up in corporate retail and it’s no that bad so far beyond the weird poo poo in training that’s for store staff not for office staff, and of course because our corporate offices are above one of the stores they decided to pipe in the store music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Renegret posted:

He flat out called our manager a loving idiot so I don't think the future's looking so hot.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of my new job is that a few days in I met with the department head who's sort of my boss but not really (it's complicated) and he just looked at me and flat out said "So heads up, [CTO] is a loving idiot. He's a doddering old man who got the job handed to him because he's been around since forever, and hasn't the slightest clue about anything. That said he loves to think he's in charge and will constantly jump levels to directly tell you to do things: just tell me or [manager] instead and then ignore him. If you have any high level concerns come to me, not him. I am the one who actually runs this department." :stare:

Sure enough CTO stops by my cube at least once a day to tell me to look into something completely random like machine learning or how we could use AI to enhance our SCADA network (I don't even touch that!) and the handful of friends and allies I've made in the office since I arrived here have confirmed that the department head is the real brains of the operation. It's definitely an interesting dynamic.