Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I just looked back at the wall of text I typed out last night and realized exactly how many beers I drank :cheers:

Edit: careful boys, don't provoke another wall of text!

joem83 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I still think it's a good post. :colbert:

No carping last night; I came home to find some packages stolen, rifled through, and fortunately discarded for containing Do-It molds instead of electronics or heroin. It kind of ruined my evening even though I recovered them, and fish mad = fish bad. Anyway, I got them back and that's what's important. One of them is for walleye spinners, so let me know what colors you and the Walters like, Sockington!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Here’s some harnesses colours that have produced for us before. Just picked some up while out. I have no idea why the work table is discoloured... :2bong:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
RIP dick lure

Where did those things come from? I'll get a couple of replacements, maybe a bit bigger. 5g is a bit micropenis-y for the tastes of the local fish

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

RIP dick lure

Where did those things come from? I'll get a couple of replacements, maybe a bit bigger. 5g is a bit micropenis-y for the tastes of the local fish

Look no further! NWS tags may be overkill, but fair warning.

The ones that I sent out - :nws:1Pcs 5cm 5 10 15 20g Gold/Sliver Sequins Penis Spoon With Hooks Hard Metal Lure For Hooks Bait Rocking Fishing Wobblers Spinner:nws:

The brand new, far more detailed bass dick lure: :nws:Fishing Bait Artificial Lure Rock Fish Hard Crankbaits Carbon Hook 85mm Rattle Deep Diving Dick Rattle Minnow Crankbait Fishing:nws:

Dick lures are China's contribution to the fishing world, I suppose.

This Friday I'm ditching work to go to Westport with a buddy and his kid. I'm going to fish the beach/pier in the afternoon and evening, then we're doing a bottomfish charter on Saturday. I shall attempt to channel forums user LingcodKilla in order to catch fish that takes two hands to lift.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m jealous.

Westport fishery is decent.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 5, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m jealous.

I'm pretty sure that you're going to be back in time for the end of the season. Let's get out there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm pretty sure that you're going to be back in time for the end of the season. Let's get out there.

I'll be back in town for the first week of July. I'll be slipping out of my house to crab every morning but then I got to slink back and spend time with my family. When I come back for good in SEP I'll want to fishing in the first week if the weather is good.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

This was the first thing I saw this morning when I got into my office. Made me want to go throw the frog sooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad, thanks Windows 10! FU too!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jesus do you work at Narnia Inc?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I'm assuming it's a Windows login screen not a photo joem83 took

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I wonder how the bass fishing is in Narnia? I can only imagine how uncomfortable it is to remove a 4/0 EWG from the mouth of a talking fish. Enigma is right, yeah, Windows 10 will by default change the login screen image every day. That one was taken in London; so basically Narnia, right?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, that's taken from St. James's park in London.

edit: crap, beaten

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

What's everybody's fishin' plans for this weekend? My wife has gone somewhere for several hours every night this week and left me with 2 kids and a baby; so I earned a fishing day. Gonna head out to Otay and throw the usual- flukes, frogs, and swim baits. I'm feeling pretty optimistic, I'm hoping for something chunky.

My annual trout fishing trip is coming up next week, too. I'm not optimistic about catching fish because of A. The Father's Day weekend crowds and B. The issues with the hatchery that supplies that part of the river. Either way though, I get to spend 3 days in the mountains with some of my cousins, my grandpa (turning 85 that weekend), my brother, and my best friends. Couldn't ask for more!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I’m about to roll out of bed and gear up to target jewfish in the local river. Tomorrow I’ll be trying a spot I’ve never fished before that I hope holds some bait species.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
In an effort to post something other than dead fish, here’s some shots from tonight.

Tonight was one of the best nights of fishing I’ve ever had. The final “caught” count was 23 fish between the two of us, in two hours. I had 17, my buddy 6. You can imagine his excitement at the score imbalance. :D

Lots of company on the river tonight.

Always have Timmies for when we set off

I ended up with six before my buddy even caught one. He was pretty bummed. After my first three, I gave him an identical worm harness. Couldn’t blame the equipment for his bum luck.

Sunset on the river.

My fast action Fenwick working the bottom bounce. Beat to hell Pflueger Supreme as well.

Little rockbass was our only non-walleye catch of the night. Tossed it back like always.

Our two man limit of twelve walters.

Tight lines. :boom:

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Well, I finally got out on the kayak, and it was a pretty cool day. I had tied up a bunch of big streamers and poppers for LMB, and I took the 9wt to Lake Tugalo which is definitely my favorite lake, because it is a relatively wild place in a land of summer homes, and there is no development at all anywhere near it. I also whacked a lot of bass there on fly tackle last summer.

Did I catch any fish? Define fish!

The bream were still on the bed and super feisty. I didn't find any bass at all though.

e: those walleye look so great! I wish I had some to cook.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 9, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I got back from bottomfishing off Westport last night. Hope y'all don't mind a long trip report post.

FRIDAY

Really lovely weather. It was very wet, but not windy. We called the boat on Thursday to make sure they weren't planning on cancelling. We tried to make this same trip in July 2016 but they called it off, and I was worried that it was going to happen again. It was rainy but not windy, so the trip was still on.

It seems like the most common business in Westport is lovely motels. Ours was clean enough and had a gazebo with a fish cleaning station and woodfired grill that I would have loved to use.

We had a couple of hours to kill before dinner so I went to the beach. A COMPLETELY EMPTY BEACH. I didn't fish the jetty since it was wet and nobody else was around, but I fished against it since there weren't any surfers out there. I was there for about 45 minutes but didn't get anything.

A note about perspective in this pic: there is a 20' sheer cliff between the different looking sand in the foreground.

A bald eagle supervised from the jetty.

I hiked to the bay side of the jetty and threw my line out into Half Moon Bay. I wasn't expecting to catch anything except maybe a crab on my line, but I had read in a guide that it was good for surf perch. It wasn't.

The bay is lousy with broken clam shells, and they make a noise like a windchime or something when the waves wash over them. It's very pleasant.

I found a horse clam on the beach. They are huge! This is a 2oz pyramid sinker for scale.

That's a seal out there in the bay. I really need a better waterproof camera.

SATURDAY

On the boat at 6am, racing against rain clouds. Forecast called for scattered showers and we got dumped on pretty hard a couple of times on the 1.5 hour trip out.

The first lingcod in the boat. I can't take credit for them.

I'm hella taking credit for these two black rockfish, though! My first catch of the day, and I got them both as a double on the same line. I got three doubles over the course of the day.

Those things popping out of their mouths are their air bladders that came out with the difference in pressure from the bottom of the ocean. People used to pop them to try to help them survive being released, but that is a death sentence and fortunately that isn't regular practice anymore.

The bite was really hot all morning. I limited on rockfish before 10am but hadn't caught a lingcod. We were fishing for the boat limit and not personal, so I kept going. I caught 10-12 on the day, but I kind of lost count after I hit the personal limit of 7. I only caught black rockfish, but the boat also caught yellowtail, quillback (punkrockfish), vermillion, and a 75 year old yelloweye which was safely released with a downrigger release device. I was glad that the captain gave a poo poo enough to do that right.

It turned out to be a really nice afternoon! Too bad the bite died off after we limited for rockfish. I never got my lingcod. :( I was almost certain that I had one on the line, a huge one. I was fighting so hard and reeling so hard that it was tiring me out. That has never happened with a fish before, and this was going to be the lingcod that was going to punch my derby ticket (why the gently caress did I buy a derby ticket?). I was sure of it. I got it to the surface, and ... it was a foul-hooked black rockfish and the tangled line of one of the other fishers. We couldn't even keep the rockfish.

The boat didn't limit lingcod, but we got a bunch. That blue/green one is green because it shifted its diet to primarily crab, according to the captain. The meat is blueish green also, but cooks white. There are some other greenling species with blue meat, too.

On the way back, the chief deckhand filleted the entire catch in less time than it took to get back to port. His knife skills are loving incredible.

Dividing the catch.

My take was 5 lbs. rockfish, 2 lbs. lingcod. Most of it is vacuum sealed in my freezer, the rest is dinner tonight. I would have taken way more lingcod meat if I had caught any, but I'm glad that somebody fished over their limit so I was able to get any at all.

This was a very good charter on the whole. I want to do it again, and for halibut as well. I think that I'm messing up my lingcod hookset somehow. I know that I had a couple on the line at times, but they wound up taking my bait and spitting the hook. LingcodKilla's status is secure, but RockfishSlaya had better watch out.

Today I'm going to take my Kuying SUL out and see what happens on fresh water. I'm itchin' for a fight.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 10, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That looks cool! I’ve never done a paid charter, so the luxury of a guy cleaning all my fish sounds so nice :allears:

I played a concert a bar last night until 1am, packed up by 2am, and unloaded at home by 3am. That means a couple hours of fishing before crashing. First guy coming to shore, a little rockbass on a spinner.

Then landed a nice 12” perch on the white grub jig.

Finally pulled in two walleyes at about my smallest size limit (15”).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lingcod's got fairly tough toothy bony mouths. They require a fairly strong set hook (also larger hooks seem to pierce better through the teeth). They tend to "fight" more when this happens. However if you catch a small rockfish and they "hitchhike" on them you actually want to reel them kinda slow and not jerk them around. You can get them all the way to the surface but have the net ready because if they break the surface they will flex their mouth and let go of the fish that's actually hooked. I usually work with baited shrimp fly/ chrome bar. I can usually tell what lure got hit depending on the feeling. Jerk-jerk-jerk-jerk-jerk hits are the fly or bar hard cranking to keep the fish from running into the rocks.... jerk-jerk-jerk-pullllllllllll is a hitcher and you need to slow down the cranking. The lingcods usually just trying to float down to the bottom so the manipulate the fish to swallow them.

ramblings of a species targeter.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can someone give me a quick hint on how to upload a photo from imgur? Awful app isn't working for me

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Lingcod's got fairly tough toothy bony mouths. They require a fairly strong set hook (also larger hooks seem to pierce better through the teeth). They tend to "fight" more when this happens. However if you catch a small rockfish and they "hitchhike" on them you actually want to reel them kinda slow and not jerk them around. You can get them all the way to the surface but have the net ready because if they break the surface they will flex their mouth and let go of the fish that's actually hooked. I usually work with baited shrimp fly/ chrome bar. I can usually tell what lure got hit depending on the feeling. Jerk-jerk-jerk-jerk-jerk hits are the fly or bar hard cranking to keep the fish from running into the rocks.... jerk-jerk-jerk-pullllllllllll is a hitcher and you need to slow down the cranking. The lingcods usually just trying to float down to the bottom so the manipulate the fish to swallow them.

ramblings of a species targeter.
Consider it solicited rambling!

They had us rigged with a bare shrimp fly on the mainline above an 8 oz. banana sinker (which I more or less exclusively consider to be a mooching sinker? :confused:) connected to a prefab double hook rig with a barrel swivel. I think the hooks were 2/0 or 3/0 (should have asked), but they seemed much smaller than the one on the jig you gave me. They started us off with live minnows for rockfish and lingcod, but switched to frozen herring through both of the double rig hooks for lingcod. I can't say which was better, but rockfish stayed off of the herring.

Sockington: God drat, man. gently caress.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The mooching sinkers supposedly snag less on the bottom but the real reason is probably you can use mooch weights for both types of fishing but not cannonballs.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
That blue lingcod looks so cool

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 11, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
We went out again last night to crush them. :black101:

My stringer was the heavier and fuller one :clint:

One was already on the table getting the cut.

The meats.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:bisonyes:

Dude you are killing it. How's your nine-ton free boat coming?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

:bisonyes:

Dude you are killing it. How's your nine-ton free boat coming?

Need to get some sheet metal so I can make some modifications to how the storage works. Want to enclose the fuel tank into one of the steel bins to protect it a bit, but still make it easy to pull out from the boat to fill. Need to weld up any attachments I want before it goes to get sandblasted and primed.

After going out on my neighbour’s similarly sized aluminum, I’m wondering how ungodly slow it will be with that 9.9 Johnson :sweatdrop:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

That blue lingcod looks so cool

Cabezon and kelp greenling also come in blue green meat versions.
I’m not sure what that fisherman was talking about because the scientists I’ve worked with as of a few years ago are not really sure what it is. Shellfish heavy diets produce red pigment (salmon) but the stomach contents of sampled lingcods across the meat spectrum never really vary from “anything and everything they can fit in their (large)mouths”. Cabezons are very prolific abelone and crab eaters and greenling mostly target small critters due to mouth size.
I’d almost guess an inability to metabolize squid ink that may build up in their kidneys and released into the blood stream but I’m not a scientist I just play one on the Internet.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

drat dude, how full is your freezer? You slay them walleye.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can someone give me a quick hint on how to upload a photo from imgur? Awful app isn't working for me

When I want to upload images to imgur from my phone, I have to load the website in the desktop version. If you don't, then it'll just try to get you to use the app, which requires you to sign up for an account. NOPE. I refuse to spend 2 minutes doing that, I'll just go ahead and keep on awkwardly doing it on the desktop version of the site.

re: blue fish

Those are pretty creepy, I'm not sure I could convince my brain to let me eat meat that was blue/green even if it cooks up white, lol.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

The mooching sinkers supposedly snag less on the bottom but the real reason is probably you can use mooch weights for both types of fishing but not cannonballs.

That's the weird thing, though: they had us rigged up with what are essentially mooching rigs which are designed to drift, and drifting was the last thing I wanted fishing with other lines three feet on either side of me. I'm sure that it's very convenient to use the same rig if they were to switch over to salmon on a combo charter, but since we were only going for bottomfish it seemed like a weird choice. But yeah, the reason they probably used them is because they already had them and they worked well enough.

quote:

Cabezon and kelp greenling also come in blue green meat versions.
I’m not sure what that fisherman was talking about because the scientists I’ve worked with as of a few years ago are not really sure what it is. Shellfish heavy diets produce red pigment (salmon) but the stomach contents of sampled lingcods across the meat spectrum never really vary from “anything and everything they can fit in their (large)mouths”. Cabezons are very prolific abelone and crab eaters and greenling mostly target small critters due to mouth size.
I’d almost guess an inability to metabolize squid ink that may build up in their kidneys and released into the blood stream but I’m not a scientist I just play one on the Internet.

I found the crab diet explanation suspect at the time; they were far more fisherman than biologist. Besides, we all know that if you only eat crab you transform into

joem83 posted:

re: blue fish

Those are pretty creepy, I'm not sure I could convince my brain to let me eat meat that was blue/green even if it cooks up white, lol.

"I will not eat it from a pan, I will not eat it on the can. I do not like a blue lingcod, I do not like them, LingcodTodd."

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

joem83 posted:

drat dude, how full is your freezer? You slay them walleye.

Haha, not as full as you’d think. I come into work like a boss, handing out ziplocs of delicious fish to people. My wife isn’t a huge fan after all I’ve caught, so I keep a personal limit of 6, and will keep probably another 6 extra in case we ever want to throw a fry.

The rest goes to a circle of friends and coworkers. Ontario rules would let me keep six total for myself, and six for each of my kids. I don’t really need that much fish though.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I found the crab diet explanation suspect at the time; they were far more fisherman than biologist. Besides, we all know that if you only eat crab you transform into

"I will not eat it from a pan, I will not eat it on the can. I do not like a blue lingcod, I do not like them, LingcodTodd."

lol to both of those.

Sockington posted:

Haha, not as full as you’d think. I come into work like a boss, handing out ziplocs of delicious fish to people. My wife isn’t a huge fan after all I’ve caught, so I keep a personal limit of 6, and will keep probably another 6 extra in case we ever want to throw a fry.

The rest goes to a circle of friends and coworkers. Ontario rules would let me keep six total for myself, and six for each of my kids. I don’t really need that much fish though.

That's awesome man, I'm glad it doesn't get wasted. I don't like taking too much fish. My grandpa would always get upset with us for throwing fish back, he likes to use the fish to barter for produce with the "orientals" at the fruit/veggie stands.

Excellent reports by the way, everyone. Love me some long rear end fish posts with pics. My fish report for last Sunday was: Not a single bite, had a great time.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 12, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

This isn't me, but it is from Green Lake where I fish all of the loving time.

Motherfucking 45 lb. catfish.:

HUGE CATFISH CAUGHT AT SEATTLE’S GREEN LAKE

Thanks to forums user beefnoodle for the hot tip.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Why the hell did he keep a diploid grass carp? It’s not a game fish and is used / planter to eat algae mostly in private ponds.

This sentence makes no sense.

“They can live over 20 years. The cost to us when we buy them is pretty cheap. Triploids are $3.25 and last three weeks,” Bolding says.

A fish that lives 3 weeks?

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 13, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Why the hell did he keep a diploid grass carp? It’s not a game fish and is used / planter to eat algae mostly in private ponds.

“They can live over 20 years. The cost to us when we buy them is pretty cheap. Triploids are $3.25 and last three weeks,” Bolding says.

Maybe in Iraq they eat them? They're a big food fish in other countries, I know I've heard that before. Can we focus on the important details though? That man is wearing 3 different types of camouflage.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I think that he meant triploid trout are caught within 3 weeks of planting, but I am not sure. And what about the poop trout gives it away as a diploid grass carp and not a common carp? It seems pretty green to be a grass carp, but I am no expert and maybe that's a diploid characteristic. But yeah, people eat carp (GIS "Christmas Carp" and you'll see a bunch of eastern Europeans keeping them alive in their bathtubs until the meal), though WDFW recommends no more than one Green Lake poop trout meal per month for PCB reasons.

joem83 posted:

That man is wearing 3 different types of camouflage.

Dude is missing his STAY BLUNTED pattern though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I meant triploid grass carp. Apparently you can buy permits for them but diploid are invasive (though they need fast running rivers to breed).

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I just caught a Chain Pickerel on my lunch break.

Why are these fish not more popular? That thing fought like hell. I thought I was on a 3 lb bass.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I just caught a Chain Pickerel on my lunch break.

Why are these fish not more popular? That thing fought like hell. I thought I was on a 3 lb bass.

That's rad! I hope that you get a pic next time.

I'd love to catch one, but they don't exist here. Would you start using wire leaders if you were targeting them? As I understand it they can sever your rig and make you bleed with very little effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That's rad! I hope that you get a pic next time.

I'd love to catch one, but they don't exist here. Would you start using wire leaders if you were targeting them? As I understand it they can sever your rig and make you bleed with very little effort.

I have a pic I just don't know how to upload it here without tying my name to it.

Maybe imgur doesn't work on mobile though?

I wouldn't worry too much about him chopping through my braid, it's kind of mushy when it gets wet and I'm using 25lb because I thought MORE = better