Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I make sure to never quality or level up my gems to 20 to keep things ethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I don't even equip weapons or armour. All fists all the time.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The only ethical move is not to play.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Anyone have thoughts on Champion vs. Gladiator, for Reave with an off-hand stat stick, before they get nerfed next patch?

A guide I read was really into how much tankier gladiator was with spell block - is it that legit? Because a few of the Champion ascendancy abilities look pretty defensive as well.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

So? To what end? What is he doing with this apparently devastating knowledge that's worthy of calling him a lovely scumbag?

I personally draw the scumbag-line at making a whiny post about how 'goons ruin everything' in response to someone making a bug report vOv

Mo_Steel posted:

Did you customize loot filters this league? I used your version of Neversinks in Beastiary and it rocked.

http://www.filterblade.xyz/#tlCbJuubqvI9 is the one I'm currently using. Medium-strict.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Devor posted:

Anyone have thoughts on Champion vs. Gladiator, for Reave with an off-hand stat stick, before they get nerfed next patch?

A guide I read was really into how much tankier gladiator was with spell block - is it that legit? Because a few of the Champion ascendancy abilities look pretty defensive as well.
Gladiator can get max block/spell block, which adds a pretty crazy amount of survivability, but Champion is pretty much King poo poo of DPS Mountain right now. Intimidate and Taunt giving 30% increased damage taken and hits can't be evaded is ludicrous.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

theshim posted:

Gladiator can get max block/spell block, which adds a pretty crazy amount of survivability, but Champion is pretty much King poo poo of DPS Mountain right now. Intimidate and Taunt giving 30% increased damage taken and hits can't be evaded is ludicrous.

My 77 Gladiator can block all day but man he feels like he deals no damage next to my 77 Dark Pact Totem godslayer.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

theshim posted:

and perma fortify is super nice to have imo

Gaardean
May 28, 2012

TheRat posted:

There's some really funky poo poo going on with vold snap damage over time. The damage over time stacks so spell cascade actually does more damage than controlled destruction, even if the tooltip is cut in half. Also, elemental overload seems to have no effect. I made a bug report with some clips here for anyone interested https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2166645

There's a known bug where the dot effect sometimes doesn't get removed properly from enemies when they leave the ground effect or it expires. It never expires, not even during immunity phases, and stacks infinitely. That's why Elder dies so fast during the last phase for you, he's already got tons of dot stacks on him. It's supposed to be fixed in this weeks patch (which seems to be late?), but who knows how it's going to affect the ground effect stacking part.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

So uhhh I regaled into this thing and don't really know how much it's worth because there's no jewels in incursion with spellcrit+multi and 7%life. there's one with those but 5% life and a useless fourth mod listed for 6 ex 3 hours ago. :shrug:
code:
Rarity: Rare
Sol Heart
Cobalt Jewel
--------
11% increased Critical Strike Chance for Spells
+14% to Critical Strike Multiplier for Spells
7% increased maximum Life
halp

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Just search for the life and multi then add a little more because 11% crit chance ain't really a good mod.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Xeras posted:

An interaction which makes the skill stronger than he believes it should be and not reporting it so he can continue to use it?

Before you know it one of these folks will be complaining about that rude "Xemas" guy :v:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So Mathil made an Explosive Trap trapper. I could tell the skill was pretty underrated when I was playing it. I wonder how many people will be playing ET trappers in a week's time.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dahbadu posted:

So Mathil made an Explosive Trap trapper. I could tell the skill was pretty underrated when I was playing it. I wonder how many people will be playing ET trappers in a week's time.

Didn't he conclude it wasnt good enough?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Nah. It's gonna be his next Uber Elder killer, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkmR4OO4eE8

FYI: If you can get 80k PoB damage for ET, that's per explosion. If each trap explodes 10 times, and you throw out 5 per throw, and you throw 4 times per second, that's 80k x 10 x 5 x 4 DPS (a cool 16 mil), and you're hitting like 200 times a second . You can probably do some insane poo poo via poison scaling, too.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 15, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So I finally found my last uber trial last night and I'm thinking about what final sab notable to get. Born in the Shadows seems superior to Explosives Expert, but am I correct in thinking the "Increased Damage with Hits and Ailments against Blinded Enemies" is useless since Arc and Lightning Spire don't hit?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Uh, spells and traps can still hit. "Hit" excludes DoT stuff like Contagion or Scorching Ray or the like.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So I finally found my last uber trial last night and I'm thinking about what final sab notable to get. Born in the Shadows seems superior to Explosives Expert, but am I correct in thinking the "Increased Damage with Hits and Ailments against Blinded Enemies" is useless since Arc and Lightning Spire don't hit?

vv excellent thanks

q,ne

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

vv excellent thanks

q,ne

Arc and lightning spire both hit (I'm guessing you confused 'Hit' with 'Attack', damage over time effects are the only thing that doesn't hit), but the main reason you take Born in Shadows is that it's a massive boost to your survivability and the small increased damage is a bonus. I can't imagine not taking Born in Shadows on a saboteur because it is an extremely good node.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Dahbadu posted:

Nah. It's gonna be his next Uber Elder killer, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkmR4OO4eE8

FYI: If you can get 80k PoB damage for ET, that's per explosion. If each trap explodes 10 times, and you throw out 5 per throw, and you throw 4 times per second, that's 80k x 10 x 5 x 4 DPS (a cool 16 mil), and you're hitting like 200 times a second . You can probably do some insane poo poo via poison scaling, too.

You can't realistically break 3 throws per second without Slavedriver's Hand and excessive cast speed stacking (Mathil's tree only has him at 2.44 throws per second, there is a total of 42% trap throwing speed on the entire tree + Saboteur ascendancy combined) and nowhere close to all 10 explosions per trap will hit a single enemy.

E: Actually he's at 2.24 throws per second due to Trap and Mine Damage support.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 15, 2018

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Mo_Steel posted:

My 77 Gladiator can block all day but man he feels like he deals no damage next to my 77 Dark Pact Totem godslayer.

I did the basic template for the max block gladiator during the flashback event, and it was fine to a point, but yeah the DPS got really bad (I couldn't even take down regular Elder's shield). I had to switch out to this version and it was much better.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

Arc and lightning spire both hit (I'm guessing you confused 'Hit' with 'Attack', damage over time effects are the only thing that doesn't hit), but the main reason you take Born in Shadows is that it's a massive boost to your survivability and the small increased damage is a bonus. I can't imagine not taking Born in Shadows on a saboteur because it is an extremely good node.

Most of the guides I've seen have it as the first node to take after ascendancy, but that might be because they're all for hc.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheRat posted:

Didn't he conclude it wasnt good enough?

What I got from the video was that it was good, but not really his "cup of tea" as he doesn't care for the playstyle. Still thinks he will be able to do Uber Elder with it though.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

Is it really that good? I might re-spec into it, then. Which should I give up - Chain Reaction or Explosives Expert?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I'm an on-again, off-again casual who never truly 'understood' this game. I'm following a standard 1h+stat stick melee guide and running lacerate, and it got me wondering. Other than the cases where skill X requires Y weapon, what are the pros/cons to:

- 2-hander
- dual wield
- 1h + stat stick
- 1h + shield

Other than skill/weapon requirements, when or why would you choose one over the other? Would you basically never use a shield unless you're going for max block? Sure you'd go 1-hander over 2-hander for faster attack speeds, but wouldn't you always want to hit faster? Wouldn't the stat stick make up for the main hand hitting less hard than a 2-hander?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shield is so you can shield charge, the best movement skill.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

DaveWoo posted:

Is it really that good? I might re-spec into it, then. Which should I give up - Chain Reaction or Explosives Expert?

It depends but most likely Explosives Expert; re-specing chain reaction will usually require you to change other parts of the character in some manner since it's one of several solutions to "how do I make cluster traps detonate reliably".
There's two other solutions to that issue: one is using a Sunblast belt so they detonate a tiny bit after you throw them, but this does not count as triggering them so you won't get regen or charged trap 'on-trigger' effects from it. The other is stacking trap trigger radius until a cluster centered on an enemy always detonates the entire cluster, which iirc is around 185% increased trap trigger radius and requires slotting multiple copies of the Hair Trigger jewel.

As for how good it is: You're taking 45% of the damage you would take from blinded attackers, if they would not have been blinded without the node. You're taking 90% of the damage you would take from spell casters or attackers who would have been blinded even if you didn't have the node. Because the range of the passive blind is significantly farther than a stibnite flask and the on-hit blind works at extreme ranges, you're pretty much always blinding a lot more enemies than you would if you were just spamming stibnite clouds.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 15, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Papercut posted:

Most of the guides I've seen have it as the first node to take after ascendancy, but that might be because they're all for hc.

Yeah I'm using tinkerskin and with pyromaniac I'm doing pretty good so far in yellows.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

facepalmolive posted:

I'm an on-again, off-again casual who never truly 'understood' this game. I'm following a standard 1h+stat stick melee guide and running lacerate, and it got me wondering. Other than the cases where skill X requires Y weapon, what are the pros/cons to:

- 2-hander
- dual wield
- 1h + stat stick
- 1h + shield

Other than skill/weapon requirements, when or why would you choose one over the other? Would you basically never use a shield unless you're going for max block? Sure you'd go 1-hander over 2-hander for faster attack speeds, but wouldn't you always want to hit faster? Wouldn't the stat stick make up for the main hand hitting less hard than a 2-hander?

2-hander: highest damage on a single weapon, can be six-linked, low attack speed.
dual wield: bonus attack speed, attack damage, small amount of block for dual-wielding, lower damage per weapon, can use skills that use both weapons
1h+stat stick: same bonuses for dual wielding, can gain massive amounts of damage from phys conversion, limited to skills that only use the mainhand
1h+shield: shield charge, extremely tanky, some shields can add decent amount of damage for spell casters

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

1h + stat stick isn't quite limited to skills that are mainhand only. For example, if you use a sword and a mace statstick with a skill that can't use a mace (but would use both swords if you had two swords - like blade flurry), then you still get the dual wield bonus. This is really the true power.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Xeras posted:

An interaction which makes the skill stronger than he believes it should be and not reporting it so he can continue to use it?

It's about ethics in video game balancing

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

pork never goes bad posted:

1h + stat stick isn't quite limited to skills that are mainhand only. For example, if you use a sword and a mace statstick with a skill that can't use a mace (but would use both swords if you had two swords - like blade flurry), then you still get the dual wield bonus. This is really the true power.

in addendum: if you Reave with a claw, and have a mace/scepter statstick, you can't leap slam while the claw is in the "main" hand, but you can when it is in the off-hand (while still Reaving as normal in both cases)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

How much time does it take to get to the bosses at the end of maps, compared to getting through 10 acts? I just got my first character (SSF Flamethrower / Fire Traps) to mapping but I'm already hankering for something new.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Guardians/Shaper? Unless your really good at this game, leveling a new character will definitely be faster.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GGG nerfed my wand mid league FeelsBadMan

before:

after:

I want a refund on my dumb item that I never used but kept for the hilarity of it :(

TheRat fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 15, 2018

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Especially SSF since sharing/buying maps is the only easy way to get to all four of the guardians. That said you can definitely comfortably do Atziri if you wanna try your hand at one of the end-game bosses, and the map pieces for her are easy to get.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Regarding the 4 categories of attack skill, it isn’t really that balanced. 1h + stat stick is by far the strongest. The only downside is it precludes the one most broken skill: projectile stacked molten strike.

Dual wield is probably the weakest, 1h + shield gives you the option of lycosidae shield, which gives a ton of damage to crit builds.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I didn't know how tough it would be to get maps for SSF, maybe next time I'll just go normal, or swap this character over. Even if I don't want to trade, I can at least buy maps.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Phobophilia posted:

Regarding the 4 categories of attack skill, it isn’t really that balanced. 1h + stat stick is by far the strongest. The only downside is it precludes the one most broken skill: projectile stacked molten strike.

Dual wield is probably the weakest
, 1h + shield gives you the option of lycosidae shield, which gives a ton of damage to crit builds.

just pointing out that this is basically the best case for dual wield, like using Grelwood Shanks (or multiple EX foils I guess)

oh and I guess HoWA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

1h + shield gives you the option of lycosidae shield, which gives a ton of damage to crit builds.

That's why champion is so, so, so good at crit builds, it has lyco basically built into his kit freeing up a offhand slot for a statstick.

Only downside of champion is "cannot taunt monsters" becomes a bane on maps when otherwise it's ignorable.