Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come these guys always make big 3d mmos with their small budgets? why not just make a new uo, 2dish and all.

It's still be a ton of work because the assets are quasi 3D (there's some mind bending tricks involved with the backgrounds) etc but an mmo looking like pillars of eternity 2 would be a nice look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

What are the subscription numbers for UO these days, anyways?

I imagine exactly zero or at least close. I can't believe EA still keeps Ultima Online going.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I mean they're still releasing EQ expansions every year, wouldn't surprise me if there's a few thousand folks still playing UO and justifying the maintenance costs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I imagine exactly zero or at least close. I can't believe EA still keeps Ultima Online going.

I just had to look it up and I can't believe its been 20 drat years! Holy poo poo.

Its F2P I should see how it runs on my Mac VM lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I just had to look it up and I can't believe its been 20 drat years! Holy poo poo.

Its F2P I should see how it runs on my Mac VM lol

I hadn't realized Ultima Online was free to play now. I thought it still required a subscription, at least up until the end of last year it still required a subscription.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I hadn't realized Ultima Online was free to play now. I thought it still required a subscription, at least up until the end of last year it still required a subscription.

Yeah I didn't either till I looked. It actually looks like a pretty open F2P model (you can't own a house and your bank space is limited).

I guess it plays pretty well in a VM so I'm gonna check it out when I get home. I'll probably wipe it after 20 min but its going to be a good 20 min of trying to chop down a loving tree.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I didn't realize Ultima online was still around I always assumed it shut down years ago. I might finally try it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EA's other MMO, Dark Age of Camelot, is suppose to go free to play soonish. I have been waiting for that to happen.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Im absolutely shocked that DAOC has been trucking along with enough subscribers to keep the servers open for this long.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CoffeeBooze posted:

Im absolutely shocked that DAOC has been trucking along with enough subscribers to keep the servers open for this long.

The fans are loyal and you can be sure you'll see a lot of them happily beta testing Camelot Unchained when it begins this July 4th

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Very interested in Camelot Unchained but going to wait for full release. It'll be nice to have a game that is basically DAoC but with modern day mechanics and gameplay.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
For all these decades-old games, I'm envisioning a playerbase of a few thousand, all of whom put in thirty hours a week in high school and college. Now they're all middle managers at Wal-Mart and play a few hours a month, but still pay the $100/yr because they can't stand the thought of their 942 sacks of platinum vanishing.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I'm really sad that this is the game Garriott shipped.

I really do think the guy is talented. I just don't know why he didn't get a couple other talented people and vanish into a room for six months and put out a cool indie 2D single player rpg with some weird lore and a unique setting. If Lord British made something along the lines of the spiderweb software games, I would buy the poo poo out of that. Instead we get this... thing. Whatever it is. What a waste.

edit:

I said come in! posted:

Very interested in Camelot Unchained but going to wait for full release. It'll be nice to have a game that is basically DAoC but with modern day mechanics and gameplay.

I'm interested in this to the point where I preordered it, but the weird races and classes are sort of disturbing. Not in a "wow, that's really strange" kind of way, but in a "You guys didn't really bother with your world building at all, did you?" kind of way. Most of the race and class descriptions read like they were written by somebody's fifteen year old cousin who "plays that Dungeons and Dragons game." It's really stilted and fan-fictiony. Here is the actual discription of the "Stonehealer" class from the website:

code:
Only in the land of the Vikings would anyone throw rocks at people in order to heal them. 
While it is unfair that some claim Stonehealers are men and women who have fallen on 
their heads too often, it is true that being a Stonehealer does come with certain unique 
risks to the healers themselves. They are certainly among the most stubborn, thick-skulled 
defenders of the Realm!
This is a real game people are being paid real money to make for real. A real, professional game with real people working on it. In a real studio. This is the real lore for a real class of a real game from a real studio. This real class from a real designer of a real game throws rocks at people to heal them.

Most of this is because the diehards of DAoC ended up only caring about the RvR part of the game, and were only concerned with the mechanical aspect of it. In the end of its heyday nobody gave a poo poo about history or quests or any of the huge amount of poo poo they had built into the pve portion of the game. So when it came time to make a new version, they just scrapped all the stuff nobody played anymore and top-loaded the RvR and that's what this game is. So game lore basically just has to be... there. It has to fill a space where people would expect game lore to be. The target audience for camelot unchained only cares about the mechanics of the class. "Okay, ranged hitbox healer. Check." So I get it.

But it's still loving clown shoes.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 11, 2018

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Gawain The Blind posted:

I really do think the guy is talented.

richard garriott was talented at a form of game development that only exists still in the indie scene with games like FTL or stardew valley, he has always been objectively garbage at managing a large team

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Percelus posted:

richard garriott was talented at a form of game development that only exists still in the indie scene with games like FTL or stardew valley, he has always been objectively garbage at managing a large team

He started out in the early 80's, when one person could sit down and code an entire game by himself.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Gawain The Blind posted:

I really do think the guy is talented. I just don't know why he didn't get a couple other talented people and vanish into a room for six months and put out a cool indie 2D single player rpg with some weird lore and a unique setting. If Lord British made something along the lines of the spiderweb software games, I would buy the poo poo out of that. Instead we get this... thing. Whatever it is. What a waste.

edit:

I'm interested in this to the point where I preordered it, but the weird races and classes are sort of disturbing. Not in a "wow, that's really strange" kind of way, but in a "You guys didn't really bother with your world building at all, did you?" kind of way. Most of the race and class descriptions read like they were written by somebody's fifteen year old cousin who "plays that Dungeons and Dragons game." It's really stilted and fan-fictiony. Here is the actual discription of the "Stonehealer" class from the website:

code:
Only in the land of the Vikings would anyone throw rocks at people in order to heal them. 
While it is unfair that some claim Stonehealers are men and women who have fallen on 
their heads too often, it is true that being a Stonehealer does come with certain unique 
risks to the healers themselves. They are certainly among the most stubborn, thick-skulled 
defenders of the Realm!
This is a real game people are being paid real money to make for real. A real, professional game with real people working on it. In a real studio. This is the real lore for a real class of a real game from a real studio. This real class from a real designer of a real game throws rocks at people to heal them.

Most of this is because the diehards of DAoC ended up only caring about the RvR part of the game, and were only concerned with the mechanical aspect of it. In the end of its heyday nobody gave a poo poo about history or quests or any of the huge amount of poo poo they had built into the pve portion of the game. So when it came time to make a new version, they just scrapped all the stuff nobody played anymore and top-loaded the RvR and that's what this game is. So game lore basically just has to be... there. It has to fill a space where people would expect game lore to be. The target audience for camelot unchained only cares about the mechanics of the class. "Okay, ranged hitbox healer. Check." So I get it.

But it's still loving clown shoes.

I always wondered how they were gonna balance all those classes and races in CU.

And yea the descriptions do read really goofy..

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

He started out in the early 80's, when one person could sit down and code an entire game by himself.

This is why I ignore the urge to pledge to kickstarters run by my childhood heroes. They may be really nice people with really neat ideas, but I can't trust that their skills have adapted well.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Bieeanshee posted:

This is why I ignore the urge to pledge to kickstarters run by my childhood heroes. They may be really nice people with really neat ideas, but I can't trust that their skills have adapted well.

Considering how many of these Kickstarters are turning into blatant scams run by people who are absolutely unrepentant about what they are doing, I dont think people like Garriott and Roberts are nice at all.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Fair, yeah. I'm thinking more of people like the Coles, with Hero U.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

CoffeeBooze posted:

Considering how many of these Kickstarters are turning into blatant scams run by people who are absolutely unrepentant about what they are doing, I dont think people like Garriott and Roberts are nice at all.

I've had really great results with kickstarter so far. Other than Star Citizen, which I'm pretty sure is going to end up being a giant waste of everyone's time and money.

I think Garriott could have made something really great and ridden the nostalgia train to success, but he felt like he needed to make a game to compete with the modern mmos for some reason.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it's arguable that if he sat down and coded something on his own that played like the early ultimas it might turn out well, and such games still are coming out just not that many and usually have the self-awareness to charge like $20-30 on steam, but i think he is to far up his own rear end now to make smart choices plus he's convinced himself that all is beneath him anyway

who cares though there are people still making old school rpgs that are quite good so gently caress garriott world doesn't need him in 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar

i check twitch for the first time in a month and garriot is in his kitchen signing all the maps for donors from 5 1/2 years and cant even talk about the failed game during this

he's...reminding everyone he has been to space again, i tuned in exactly while he was describing the shape of the thing women piss into in space

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

That the only noteworthy story he has to tell about going into space is how he used the bathroom says a lot about just how dumb his trip into space actually was. But making GBS threads into the cold, empty void of space is a pretty good metaphor for what he did with the money those donors gave him so I guess it's not too far off topic.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extra stout posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar

i check twitch for the first time in a month and garriot is in his kitchen signing all the maps for donors from 5 1/2 years and cant even talk about the failed game during this

he's...reminding everyone he has been to space again, i tuned in exactly while he was describing the shape of the thing women piss into in space

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

i would have a twitch clip of him asking his maid if she saw the only science fiction movie ever shot in space but you cannot use twitch clips in channels you're banned from

she said she never heard of it and it was hilarious

he's now talking about how his mother is dead, he has not even said the name of the video game or mentioned anything about it the entire stream, hell he isn't even talking about the maps he's signing

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Pretty cool idea for a twitch stream. Not. Especially with no talking, it has that weird passive aggressive vibe.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
"here I am signing these loving things, are you happy now?"

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

mike12345 posted:

Pretty cool idea for a twitch stream. Not. Especially with no talking, it has that weird passive aggressive vibe.

Its the sort of thing that if Marina Abramovich did it would be artistic genius.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Just imagine it in black and white, accompanied by a slow, sad oboe.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

TheAgent posted:

"here I am signing these loving things, are you happy now?"

"Fulfilling my contractual obligation so you cant sue me! All in a way that is clearly documented so no one can claim these maps were signed by an assistant!"

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I wonder if anyone ever went up to him in a professional businesslike manner and told him the game they made is poo poo and he is an outdated relic of a by gone era of video games.

Might as well add Battle Royale to this and go for the final cash out.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It's only a matter of time before different genres of battle royale games are released. Medieval/Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Mechs etc.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Isn't Realm Royale marketed as Scifi/Fantasy BR?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

CoffeeBooze posted:

He's a very, very, very wealthy man who could have spent ten million making the game he wanted to make.

The problem with relying on whales / cash shops is, well... this game is a good example. You end up catering to the whims of your biggest whales because you can't afford to have them take their ball and go home. Or you end up focusing heavily on Joe BigDonor's pet feature.

So you end up with not just crowd funding, but crowd design.

And that poo poo never works.

So, no, I don't think Garriott is a nice guy. I think he could have funded his vision, and he deliberately chose not to risk any of his capital. He made a lot of money off of this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah he coulda spent half his wealth on this and made the game they promised and still been rich. or he could've made a modernized ultima online with the money he raised. he just didn't care.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Thursday Next posted:

He's a very, very, very wealthy man who could have spent ten million making the game he wanted to make.
So, no, I don't think Garriott is a nice guy. I think he could have funded his vision, and he deliberately chose not to risk any of his capital. He made a lot of money off of this.

A dude posted:

yeah he coulda spent half his wealth on this and made the game they promised and still been rich. or he could've made a modernized ultima online with the money he raised. he just didn't care.

In a world where you can hire Full Sail grads for 20K/yr (I am *not* exaggerating) there is absolutely no excuse for using stock Unity assets.

It really pains me to say this, because I used to Idolize British, but... there's a very good chance that he siphoned off as much money as possible into a private account, and now plans to live the rest of his life in his $25M castle, with scantily clad wenches pouring him mead.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
He probably just pays himself an absurd amount to be an officer of the company. Doesn't need to do anything shady.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Texibus posted:

He probably just pays himself an absurd amount to be an officer of the company. Doesn't need to do anything shady.

But isnt that in and of itself shady?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Texibus posted:

A dude posted:

Nothing shady about having a big salary as long as you're open about it.

But... British raised 3 million from Kickstarter alone, and gawd knows how much more from :barf: selling his blood :barf: and whatever else... and he refused to spend 25K to hire a 3D modeler, using stock assets instead. There's definitely something shady going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

CoffeeBooze posted:

If you told me his salary was even 50k I'd find that to be shocking theft considering he refused to even live in the same city that the office remained in and there's no evidence that he even knows how to code or create in any relevant or applicable ways anymore