Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Do people really even need jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The biggest tragedy in the universal century is that capitalism still exists :colbert:.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The most bizarre part is that there's still shitloads of Monarchists.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paging Duker Iq: https://youtu.be/SXkNjRU1hoc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Considering the Jupiter Empire is a thing as well as Mars Zeon, I wonder if the outer colonies tend to get along better than the constantly at war Earth Sphere. Outside of Crossbone of course.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering the Jupiter Empire is a thing as well as Mars Zeon, I wonder if the outer colonies tend to get along better than the constantly at war Earth Sphere. Outside of Crossbone of course.

It seems more likely that the outer colonies would be very prone to a Zeon thing(i.e. one colony starts going power mad and attacking the others) except there's no Federation presence as a counterweight so they just conquer everything and unify.

Like if Zeon didn't have to fight the Federation they would have dominated every other colony and formed the Zeon Empire pretty easily.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jupiter Empire doesn't even exist outside of Crossbone to my knowledge, and all we ever hear of in animation is the Jupiter Energy Fleet and that one or two characters in Victory are from Jupiter. I don't believe it's mentioned they're part of an empire or any particular political body though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tsob posted:

Jupiter Empire doesn't even exist outside of Crossbone to my knowledge, and all we ever hear of in animation is the Jupiter Energy Fleet and that one or two characters in Victory are from Jupiter. I don't believe it's mentioned they're part of an empire or any particular political body though.

That's because it doesn't really form properly till sometime during the gap between CCA and F91, and falls apart between the end of Crossbone and the time of Victory

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's also because the Jupiter Empire didn't exist as a concept during the writing of Zeta Gundam.

In universe there's stuff in Crossbone that talks about how Dogatie Crux had been consolidating his power for most of his adult life even before he went off the deep-end around F91 and tried to destroy the Earth, and considering how drat old he is that means he must have started pretty early in UC and been doing stuff during the OYW/Gryps/Neo Zeon/2 Electric Boogaloo wars. What that stuff he and the rest of the Jupiter colonies were doing is less apparent.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Imagine if England had done straight up nothing to involve itself in the affairs of the American colonies, then sent a random duchess to marry 80-something year old George Washington and his response was "You know what? gently caress England."

That's the start of the Jupiter Empire.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Imagine if England had done straight up nothing to involve itself in the affairs of the American colonies, then sent a random duchess to marry 80-something year old George Washington and his response was "You know what? gently caress England."

That's the start of the Jupiter Empire.

To be more precise, you’d also have to imagine that the American continent was orders of magnitude more of an inhospitable hellworld, and ‘doing nothing to involve itself’ includes failing to send aid for the colonies it technically founded. Jovians got abandonment issues like you would not believe.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

There's always Paptimus Scirocco, The Man From Jupiter.

Basically, the UC always has terrible things coming from Jupiter.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

chiasaur11 posted:

Jupiter fucks people up because it's gravity is so much stronger than earth's so souls can't help but be weighed down by it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair, it's not just UC. Jupiter is just a bad place for mecha anime in general.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe the :gas: of Jupiter just smells really bad and all of the Jovians are in such bad moods as a result that they just need to attack people.

Hellioning posted:

To be fair, it's not just UC. Jupiter is just a bad place for mecha anime in general.
I wonder how much of that is just referencing Zeta Gundam to the point it became tradition.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Challia Bull wasn't that bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Horrible Taste posted:

Challia Bull wasn't that bad.

Well, aside from mostly willingly piloting a Zeon superweapon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah but his mustache

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah but his mustache

Ramba Ral and Steiner Hardy fill the need for Zeonic mustaches while still maintaining some level of reluctance to commit war crimes.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

To be more precise, you’d also have to imagine that the American continent was orders of magnitude more of an inhospitable hellworld, and ‘doing nothing to involve itself’ includes failing to send aid for the colonies it technically founded. Jovians got abandonment issues like you would not believe.

Much like Zeon, I've never been sure how much of the Jupiter colonies' austerity is a result of their innate remoteness from Earth and how much is the government being a brutal totalitarian regime. One of these days, I'm going to have to sit down and watch Victory Gundam for the straight dope.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Victory won't say anything about it beyond that Jupiter exists.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, Victory is entirely about events in the Earth Sphere and the only reference to Jupiter is that Kagatie is from Jupiter and is a dickhead.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Don't forget bad things come from Jupiter in 00 the movie as well.

Almost to the end of SEED and Flay is still here with 2 episodes to go, thought she bought it earlier. She's still totally useless and terrible tho.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe someone in here knows, what is the name of the slower, higher tension version of Wings of a Boy Who Killed Adolescence? Like the one that plays when Wing first shows up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chumbler posted:

Maybe someone in here knows, what is the name of the slower, higher tension version of Wings of a Boy Who Killed Adolescence? Like the one that plays when Wing first shows up.

I don't know the name, but you have the wrong scene. That music, in my mind, is intrinsically tied to the scene where Heero threatens to kill Ralena and she stares like crazy.

TL:DW's series in Gundam Wing is the best way to view that show's distilled insanity.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 16, 2018

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

A beta trial version of New Gundam Breaker is up for PS4 on PSN Japan. It only has two single player missions and one for multiplayer but there's enough in there to get an idea of what the game is like and what's different from the previous Breaker games.

For a start, the dating sim is a much larger part of the game than it has any right to be. The game starts with you meeting your old childhood friend outside the gates of GunBre High School... :gonk: The gameplay is about 90% the same: smash robits, get parts. The main difference for this game is now you have a parts inventory from which you can switch out parts at any time and you have to build up your inner frame level each mission before you can use any of your optional attacks. So no more just spamming your entire arsenal on the first mook you see, but the mooks are a lot less bullet spongy than GB3 so you at least don't need every funnel ever anymore. It also has a new game mode called G-Cube which is just a fancy team battle with timed random objectives.

Overall I'm not too excited. The dating sim parts, while entirely skippable, ruin the pace of the game somewhat and while I'm interested to see how the new gameplay elements play out, they haven't really changed the game enough to make it feel new. Also, while it is a beta, the optimization is pretty shocking. In conclusion, I think I might eventually pick it up on steam when the price is right, but really not a moment sooner.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If you're not excited to show the love of your life your latest custom gunpla kit i think you should do some soul searching, friend

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Game should be about dating Gundams, building girls.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Got Setsuna’s stamp of approval, for sure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

You joke but they’ve got at least one model out now and another on the way afaik, give it a couple of years

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How about a game where you build Divers? The big plot twist would be that its a BioShock prequel.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

You joke but they’ve got at least one model out now and another on the way afaik, give it a couple of years

Buddy, I know about mecha musume. No way there's only one right now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HitTheTargets posted:

Buddy, I know about mecha musume. No way there's only one right now.

yeah, just in general releases there's Super Fumina, Angel Super Fumina, Winning Fumina, Hyper Gyanko, and Chinagguy. And I know there's been some P-Bandai variants

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah, just in general releases there's Super Fumina, Angel Super Fumina, Winning Fumina, Hyper Gyanko, and Chinagguy. And I know there's been some P-Bandai variants

You left out Loheng-Rinko.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bandai has a long way to go if they want to beat Kotobukiya in the mecha musume arms race

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleMaster posted:

Bandai has a long way to go if they want to beat Kotobukiya in the mecha musume arms race

I suspect they're working on that new Labo layering technology in order to fold it into their existing semi-official line of Gunpla-musume (or whatever you want to call them) HGBF kits, so they can raise a finger at both Kotobukiya and the PVC statue companies at the same time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paper Kaiju posted:

poo poo!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

To my brokebrain the Archangel always resembled a reclining lady so seeing that get released was kind of a relief to discover that I'm at least not entirely alone there.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
i can't remember the real name of it but they've already done mazingirl z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midjack posted:

To my brokebrain the Archangel always resembled a reclining lady so seeing that get released was kind of a relief to discover that I'm at least not entirely alone there.

I mean, even in the original run of SEED, it was called the ‘legged ship’. Pretty sure they knew what they were doing there.