Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is it crazy to hope that Cyberpunk 2077 announces VR support at some point before launch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Enos Cabell posted:

Is it crazy to hope that Cyberpunk 2077 announces VR support at some point before launch?

Yes.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

When is the estimated/guessed dates going to be for new hardware announcement? Not the mobile poo poo, things like Vive/Oculus 2 etc? Is there an event coming up later this year they could announce at?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

XtraSmiley posted:

When is the estimated/guessed dates going to be for new hardware announcement? Not the mobile poo poo, things like Vive/Oculus 2 etc? Is there an event coming up later this year they could announce at?

OC5 which is like September 26-27 or something. I'm guessing that will mostly be Santa Cruz, but even though that's mobile it's the best chance quality VR has of breaking mainstream anytime soon.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Oculus Connect is in a few months, they could theoretically announce something then. I'm not expecting anything until next year at the earliest, though, they seem to want to go for a real generational leap.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

my VR Cover finally got here and I celebrated by first reinstalling all my drivers and then finally trying Beat Saber

it's really good (but I'm glad custom songs are already out because after an hour I already wanted to try new stuff)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I hold very little hope for it happening, but what'd get me immediately interested in a Santa Cruz would be if they used a USB-C charge port which could also be used as a video input and upstream data connection, allowing it to be used as both a standalone device and a tethered PC headset. I think that sort of feature would be a huge value-add for any 6DoF capable standalone headsets that may appear in the future.

Imagine if your next-gen Oculus Go was also effectively Rift 1.5, with WMR-grade ease of setup combined with Oculus performance and ergonomics. It'd both expand the utility of the product up front and in terms of total usable life, because now when the standalone VR game market moves on from whatever SoC era it ships with it remains useful as an older but still functional PC headset.

Again I'm not holding my breath, but it certainly wouldn't be rocket science to enable this sort of functionality.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Not necessarily rocket science but if most people aren't going to be hooking it up to a computer the increase in cost most likely wouldn't be worth it. Better to make it do one thing great and cheaply instead of trying to do it all.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oculus filed for a patent on that very thing some time back, but yeah, at least for the immediate future, and Santa Cruz, I can't imagine it will happen.

My guess is OC5 will be all about Santa Cruz, announcing a launch date, showing off some games that will be available on launch, having a bunch of demos for people to try etc. I also think theres a good chance they'll talk more about the Half Moon prototype, and have some behind closed doors demos to press and other folks of it, like they did for Santa Cruz last year.

OC6 in 2019 will probably be all about rift 2, final designs and details on it, launch date, content etc, with a release for the holiday season or Q1 2020.

I also think later this year, or maybe at CES 2019 we'll see some details on knuckles and what stuff Valve has been working on, but thats a lot more of a guess.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
No horses, but you can view a cat all you want.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1007111135408087040

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamelekim posted:

No horses, but you can view a cat all you want.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1007111135408087040

My wife got so mad at me for showing her this

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone get that there Budget Cuts?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

AndrewP posted:

Anyone get that there Budget Cuts?

Bought it but I'm at work so I can't play it for another 5 hours.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

e: ^^^ I find something ironic in the fact that now that we're old enough to actually afford the coolest new toys, we have a bunch more stuff that gets in the way of enjoying them.

I've got it downloaded through the Oculus Store, just waiting for work hours to end.

I just saw a reddit thread that said it uses the trigger instead of the grip button on Rift. Are there customizable controls? Someone mentioned you can change them on the SteamVR version, not sure about Oculus.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 14, 2018

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Budget Cuts is excellent. Just what you got in the demo, except more. Teleporting right behind dudes and headshotting them is a bit OP but otherwise dang, what a great game.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 14, 2018

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Was Budget Cuts the one that appeared to run a bit rough when it was previewed a month or so ago?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Pimax are demoing at E3 this afternoon. Apparently there's still an NDA though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just saw that Oculus Go games are on a summer sale: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/section/391192054707924/

If anyone has suggestions on good ones, please let me know. Probably will pick up Wands, Paint VR, and Keep Talking at the very least.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
budget cuts too good https://clips.twitch.tv/IgnorantPhilanthropicAnacondaSeemsGood

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Silly Burrito posted:

Just saw that Oculus Go games are on a summer sale: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/section/391192054707924/

If anyone has suggestions on good ones, please let me know. Probably will pick up Wands, Paint VR, and Keep Talking at the very least.

Everspace is a fantastic cockpit space shooter game. Its honestly impressive how good it looks on the go, some points in the cockpit it fees like you're playing elite dangerous. It also has a full campaign and everything you can play through. It works good with the remote, but you can also use a gamepad for maybe more precise control.

Ultrawings VR is a fun light flight sim. Basically like a pilotwings game, you unlock a few aircraft, and you make money to buy the aircraft, buy access to new islands, new airports, from doing different tasks like going through a ring course, shooting balloons, doing emergency landings, race cources etc. I've had a lot of fun with this one.

The Well is a very traditional dungeon crawl RPG. You recruit a group of warriors, level up, put points places get new items, explore maze like areas, complete quests, shop in towns, you know the drill. Like any etrian odyssey game (if you've ever played one) but in VR. So far I'm enjoying it.

Dead Secret: Circle is an adventure game, looks great, full voice acting and big like a proper game. Trippy and dream sequences, and some legitimate spooks (walking around a spooky place with a flashlight is great... if you can tolerate horror). Its expensive, but for a reason, its a lot more than a little mobile game.

They Suspect Nothing, is a collection of minigames done in a fun cute way. They're pretty fun, but I dunno guess it depends how much you think you'll enjoy various minigames

Elevator to the Moon, is a great adventure/sort of escape room game. it probably takes... I dont' know 3-4 hours to beat, but its very well done, humorous and enjoyable, especially if you like puzzles.

Virtual, Virtual Reality, I just picked up as its on a daily deal, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Dreadhalls is a fun spooky, randomized dungeon crawl. Its the kind of thing that will have people tearing off the headset and not wanting to play from being freaked out. It's a decent sort of game as well. The random dungeons have you trying to escape while avoiding different spooky critters.

Witchblood is a great little side scrolling metroidvania game. With VR it looks like you're controlling little dolls in a dollhouse or diorama jumping and fighting. I would say one downside it that while its technically playable with the remote, you really want a gamepad to play this one.

Esper 2 is another great little Puzzle game thats worth checking out. You have telekenetic powers and have to solve tests and then go on some missions and stuff. Its all done with a very tongue in cheek vibe.

Those are all the ones I have any experience with that I would recommend. Depending on your tastes theres probably a couple things there you might enjoy.

EDIT: Oh one other neat thing, they released the short film "henry" for the go for free, its not real time, but a 3d 360 film so it can run on the go. Whats fascinating though is it uses John Carmack's new 5k60fps video tech he developed, so it looks amazing. It doesn't look like any 360 video I've ever seen, it looks as sharp as if it was being rendered in real time, with the exception of a slight warping effect on the ground bellow you.

I hope this tech get more use because it makes 3D 360 video an honest to god enjoyable experience that doesn't look like hot garbage.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 14, 2018

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tom Guycot posted:

Everspace is a fantastic cockpit space shooter game. Its honestly impressive how good it looks on the go, some points in the cockpit it fees like you're playing elite dangerous. It also has a full campaign and everything you can play through. It works good with the remote, but you can also use a gamepad for maybe more precise control.

Ultrawings VR is a fun light flight sim. Basically like a pilotwings game, you unlock a few aircraft, and you make money to buy the aircraft, buy access to new islands, new airports, from doing different tasks like going through a ring course, shooting balloons, doing emergency landings, race cources etc. I've had a lot of fun with this one.

The Well is a very traditional dungeon crawl RPG. You recruit a group of warriors, level up, put points places get new items, explore maze like areas, complete quests, shop in towns, you know the drill. Like any etrian odyssey game (if you've ever played one) but in VR. So far I'm enjoying it.

Dead Secret: Circle is an adventure game, looks great, full voice acting and big like a proper game. Trippy and dream sequences, and some legitimate spooks (walking around a spooky place with a flashlight is great... if you can tolerate horror). Its expensive, but for a reason, its a lot more than a little mobile game.

They Suspect Nothing, is a collection of minigames done in a fun cute way. They're pretty fun, but I dunno guess it depends how much you think you'll enjoy various minigames

Elevator to the Moon, is a great adventure/sort of escape room game. it probably takes... I dont' know 3-4 hours to beat, but its very well done, humorous and enjoyable, especially if you like puzzles.

Virtual, Virtual Reality, I just picked up as its on a daily deal, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Dreadhalls is a fun spooky, randomized dungeon crawl. Its the kind of thing that will have people tearing off the headset and not wanting to play from being freaked out. It's a decent sort of game as well. The random dungeons have you trying to escape while avoiding different spooky critters.

Witchblood is a great little side scrolling metroidvania game. With VR it looks like you're controlling little dolls in a dollhouse or diorama jumping and fighting. I would say one downside it that while its technically playable with the remote, you really want a gamepad to play this one.

Esper 2 is another great little Puzzle game thats worth checking out. You have telekenetic powers and have to solve tests and then go on some missions and stuff. Its all done with a very tongue in cheek vibe.

Those are all the ones I have any experience with that I would recommend. Depending on your tastes theres probably a couple things there you might enjoy.

EDIT: Oh one other neat thing, they released the short film "henry" for the go for free, its not real time, but a 3d 360 film so it can run on the go. Whats fascinating though is it uses John Carmack's new 5k60fps video tech he developed, so it looks amazing. It doesn't look like any 360 video I've ever seen, it looks as sharp as if it was being rendered in real time, with the exception of a slight warping effect on the ground bellow you.

I hope this tech get more use because it makes 3D 360 video an honest to god enjoyable experience that doesn't look like hot garbage.

Wow, thanks! I appreciate the reviews, and I think I'm going to have to spend more money than I thought. :)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Thanks!

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Just got the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap just out of speculation and holy hell that's the best thing since sliced bread for being able to get in and out of the setup quickly and it fits 1000% better. Being able to move/adjust the ear pieces is so much nicer than fighting with getting tangled in cables too.

3D Movies in the thing are nice too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m really digging Budget Cuts. It’s fun and it’s been rock solid on my rift (I got it from steam). Highly recommended.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Are the post-it notes in Budget Cuts showing real text for anyone? For me they all say this, and I hope it's just a bug:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hungry Computer posted:

Are the post-it notes in Budget Cuts showing real text for anyone? For me they all say this, and I hope it's just a bug:

Its jokes. Theres a A4 paper that has placeholder text thats fake placeholder text. I laughed pretty good at those.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hungry Computer posted:

Looks like their budget... was cut :cool: [yeaaaaaahhhhhh]

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Owlchemy Labs confirmed there's going to be more to Vacation Simulator than just the Beach. All they're hinting at so far is a hiking vacation.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So why's Budget Cuts good?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gort posted:

It’s fun. But so far I don’t get the hype. It’s a decent game and puzzler so far so I’m having a decent time but I’m not losing myself over it. I’ll be back to Beat Saber tomorrow.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Owlchemy Labs confirmed there's going to be more to Vacation Simulator than just the Beach. All they're hinting at so far is a hiking vacation.

A hiking game without locomotion. :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rectus posted:

A hiking game without locomotion. :shepface:

My guess is it'll just be a campsite/lodge in the steroetypical midwest-american forest.

Also the Bots aren't good with human concepts, so...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gort posted:

it is an actual 7 hour long game that is built for VR from the ground up, is solidly polished, and is clearly a labour of love from the devs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also Serious Sam 1 through 3, last hope and talos principle are currently 35 bucks fornthe bundle. this is an absolute no brainer if you dont already have them. dozens of hours of some of the best titles in VR

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

EbolaIvory posted:

It’s fun. But so far I don’t get the hype. It’s a decent game and puzzler so far so I’m having a decent time but I’m not losing myself over it. I’ll be back to Beat Saber tomorrow.

It was pretty much the best demo at the launch of the Vive and got a lot of traction for it, nowadays there are a lot of other games that I'd rather play.

[edit] My post seemed overly negative, It's still a good game, but it's main fanbase comes from the early Vive days and back then I'd gush on it too but now the teleportation in a long form game pretty much kills it for me.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 15, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Walrus posted:

it is an actual 7 hour long game that is built for VR from the ground up, is solidly polished, and is clearly a labour of love from the devs.

It took me three hours

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

It took me three hours

You're some kind of world e-sports champion, so you're not a proper metric for average players :colbert:.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but it is a VR game (don't ban me, please).

So my friend made a VR run around and shoot thing in a warehouse game (warehouse is real, shooting isn't).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-zXta3w5z4

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'll give your friend the benefit of the doubt because for all I know the game is a blast, but the trailer mostly consists of groups of dudes standing stock-still as their legs wiggle around under them, shooting at each other with asset store guns

the concept of warehouse laser tag in VR is awesome, but that trailer is really really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're some kind of world e-sports champion, so you're not a proper metric for average players :colbert:.

Aw thanks :3: but for real, I think it's just fairly short. I had a few deaths and one bug that I tried unsuccessfully to escape from (I got stuck in the walls) for a while and had to reset, but overall it's just not super long. What they do have is really tight and well done (a lot of the objectives are things that you can figure out in multiple ways, or they leave clues that aren't just go from A to B).