Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Now I want them to recreate that scene in Strong World were the crew shows up to the villains base and just pull out a fuckload of guns.

Guns just show you aren't confident in your punching. And Deku punches so well it's basically like he has guns already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There are less then 48 hours to go until we get to see United States of Smash animated.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I hope it gets suddenly cancelled before then

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

tweet my meat posted:

I hope it gets suddenly cancelled before then

It will go on hiatus because all the compositing systems explode whenever they try to add the smash

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I wonder how much of the class is going to be there. The trailer only shows a few of them, but I hope they all show up.

Why? There’s only so much time in a movie

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why? There’s only so much time in a movie

I mean, they don't all need to do stuff, I just want to see them get all nice and dressed up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New chapter have not even read it yet.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/187/page/1

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
so that's 100% muscular

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

GodFish posted:

so that's 100% muscular

If it is, I wonder if we'll see a Moonfish and Mustard nomu too.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GodFish posted:

so that's 100% muscular

And now I'm wondering if I was right about it also being part Kurogiri. This basically confirms something fucky's going on behind the scenes, so police corruption/AfO rebound inbound.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's interesting to hear what his other kids think of endeavor

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's interesting to hear what his other kids think of endeavor

It's irritating to see that we're heading for the wife forgiving him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not surprising tho

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Rodyle posted:

Does she even have a name yet? For all she suffered I feel like Horikoshi cares way more about Endeavor. The wiki says her name is Rei but I can't find where they got that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Viridiant posted:

Does she even have a name yet? For all she suffered I feel like Horikoshi cares way more about Endeavor. The wiki says her name is Rei but I can't find where they got that.

First page

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

symbolic posted:

First page

OF COURSE IT WAS ON THE FIRST PAGE.

Why wouldn't it be in the place that makes me look most like a dummy.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
She's a victim of abuse so it's not surprising that she's wanting to forgive him. Abusive relationships can do hosed up things to people. The other kids at least seem to be unwilling to forgive him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Viridiant posted:

It said her name in this chapter.

The movie is going to get a tie in chapter called "My Hero Academia volume Origin". The cover art gives you a better look at their fancy outfits.

I like Kaminari and Mineta's waiter outfits.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rodyle posted:

Abuse victims are often the ones who are the most ready to forgive or make excuses for the behavior of their abusers, especially if they are pushed to the point of psychological breakdown like Endeavor's wife was.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's a very precarious line being walked. It seems, from my perspective

So Endeavor has been visiting Rei, but not actually seeing her since, for pretty obvious reasons he'd probably cause her to slide further back into emotional trauma. He's at least brought her flowers and has remembered small details he apparently only heard once. I think this is Horikoshi trying to say that "Endeavor, for as much as he appeared a heartless bastard, did have a heart of some kind." Which is probably necessary if we're to accept this arc as a redemption for the character. What's important is that no one's said the things he did in the past were justified, if that happens this is just the worst. It's clear this isn't a mending of the family, his children despise him and even the ones who barely remember him don't look upon him fondly. Again, it all depends on how this plays out, Forgiveness is one thing, because if we never forgave anyone for their errors then we'd be living in a pretty terrible society, what's important is that forgiveness does not come with the excuse of past actions. it needs to be recognised that Endeavor Did a Bad.

All that said, there's a lot of speculation that instead of his Redemption, we're actually getting Endeavours death.

The way I see it, this is his test period. If he dies here, then Society plunges into despair over losing its Number 1 hero. If he wins, then he'll finally, in the eyes of society and in a public place, be accepted as 'Number 1' essentially this fight has to change how Endeavour thinks, how he approaches a situation. And I think Hawks is playing the Judge basically, more than likely.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 15, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rodyle posted:

It seems she basically already has.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It seems she basically already has.

At the very least it appears to be recontextualizing Rei's institutionalising as not simply an act of "She harmed my project, ergo, she needs to go away." And more into him actually trying to get her help and at least being human enough to visit and bring gifts. But unless we actually see those visits it's all in the readers imagination.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rudoku posted:

Are you fishing for a "Plus Ultra"?

Wasn't even on my mind.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Onmi posted:

At the very least it appears to be recontextualizing Rei's institutionalising as not simply an act of "She harmed my project, ergo, she needs to go away." And more into him actually trying to get her help and at least being human enough to visit and bring gifts. But unless we actually see those visits it's all in the readers imagination.

Yeah, I wanna -see- Endeavor trying to be a better person to his family. It's not enough to see him just being a rad hero.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Endeavor bringing the flowers reminds me of the scenes in "I Tonya" where Jeff bought her the Dove Bars (since he remembered she liked them) and then in like a week he slammed her hand in a car door.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rhonne posted:

It said her name in this chapter.

The movie is going to get a tie in chapter called "My Hero Academia volume Origin". The cover art gives you a better look at their fancy outfits.

I like Kaminari and Mineta's waiter outfits.

Horikoshi knows what I like with the movie character's outfit.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also I'm not going to lie, even outside of the uncomfortable subplot of Endeavor doing incredibly minor things to gain the acceptance of his emotionally shattered wife I find him and his plot absolutely boring. If it wasn't for Hawks the last couple of chapters would be unbearable.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 15, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Waffleman_ posted:

Horikoshi knows what I like with the movie character's outfit.

....the color pink?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vests and bow ties on ladies

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Onmi posted:

Forgiveness is one thing, because if we never forgave anyone for their errors then we'd be living in a pretty terrible society, what's important is that forgiveness does not come with the excuse of past actions. it needs to be recognised that Endeavor Did a Bad.

Endeavor himself needs to recognize and say out loud, to the people he hurt that he Did a Bad. As far back as Kyojin no Hoshi we've had monster dads brutalizing their kids for the sake of their future success, and almost without exception, the successful kids end up grateful to them for the abuse. This arc can only succeed for me if we get an exchange like this:

quote:

"I did horrible things to you and your mother. I have no excuse, and I'm sorry."

"No, Dad, I realize now that everything you did was for the sake of-"

"Doesn't. loving. Matter. It was wrong."

And I'm not terribly optimistic we're gonna get it.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 15, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mary Annette posted:

Endeavor himself needs to recognize and say out loud, to the people he hurt that he Did a Bad. As far back as Kyojin no Hoshi we've had monster dads brutalizing their kids for the sake of their future success, and almost without exception, the successful kids end up grateful to them for the abuse. This arc can only succeed for me me if we get an exchange like this:

And I'm not terribly optimistic we're gonna get it.

Yeah exactly.

It's going to be a huge bummer if this boring Endeavor side story results in the most banal of "thank you abusive dad for making me into the great person I am today now I understand your methods." At the very least pretty much every family member with the exception of his institutionalized wife is talking about how bad he was and absolutely very little has been said about how his methods specifically made Todoroki into who he is. If anything the small things (like Todoroki using his flame to gently warm up one of the kids from their remedial class) shows he's actively ignoring Endeavor's lovely ideals. Also Rei is saying he's "trying to change" so that's lame but not legitimizing his past actions.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 15, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hooray, I finally caught up!

Endeavor sucks, and I want him to go away so we can have more casual Pussycats and maybe the rabbit girl.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Early Todoroki's refusal to use half his powers is a pretty clear sign that Endeavor's abuse was actively detrimental to his son's future success. Hopefully they don't try to walk that back.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Todoroki has been willing to use his fire powers outside of combat since the beginning; we see him defrosting defeated foes as early as chapter 11.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Hooray, I finally caught up!

Endeavor sucks, and I want him to go away so we can have more casual Pussycats and maybe the rabbit girl.

Yeah exactly this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Where are the kids!!!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel that almost anyone can earn redemption and forgiveness. And I don't feel Endeavor's behavior is beyond redemption.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the earn part of that is what people are wary about. It'd be nice if it came from an honest examination of what he did wrong and how he hurt others, but a lot of other series are kinda content with "You beat a bad guy, I forgive you now"

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel that almost anyone can earn redemption and forgiveness. And I don't feel Endeavor's behavior is beyond redemption.

I think the main thing here is that "forgiveness" is different from restarting an abusive relationship all over again and that it's perfectly possible to forgive someone without saying that any of the poo poo they originally pulled was ok or going back to living with their abuser in a sham marriage under the same circumstances as before. Whether or not the manga actually recognises this, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I already mentioned "I, Tonya" but that was a movie about multiple abusive relationships that kept getting restarted when one of the people in it would act nice for a little while and then revert to their true nature. Endeavor "trying his best" because he remembered his wife likes a specific type of flower after he abused her so badly she had to be literally institutionalized isn't good enough. At the absolute very least he needs to admit to his victims he was 100% in the wrong and that's where it starts.