Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Having read a little more about the Ork-Nazi connection, it seems like (in addition to the Stormboyz thing) the first "Second War for Armageddon" board-game was more-or-less a reskin of a WW2 game with the Orks playing the role of the Germans (in that they had to blitz for the oil fields to have any drat chance, although substitute "Hive Primus" for "Baku").

So, the Ork is, fundamentally an expression of "otherness" to the (originally British) audience: the soccer hooligan (I'm betting this is a nerds-vs-jocks thing for them?), the black-African (Big Toof), the German (War for Armageddon). Combine this with the fact that the British don't seem to "get" that Nazi regalia is generally considered to be in fantastically poor taste by the civilized world and, yeah: Nazi Orks.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Whatever could you mean by...

...oh. That.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny Nox posted:

Whatever could you mean by...

...oh. That.

I mean, I sort of "get" that the Nazi thing in Britain is about national survival and the blitz and all that poo poo (so use of the iconography is fundamentally ironic and parodic, this is also probably why Poles like making Nazi Ork heads so drat much), but for the rest of the world it's conquest and trains full of :jewish: rumbling east and coming back "mysteriously" empty.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 14, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
british army units liberated concentration camps you loving muppet, im pretty sure they get the whole nazi thing

heres a news flash, theres dumb idiots all over the world. it isnt exclusive to the british. i mean, youre a shining example of a total dipshit

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

british army units liberated concentration camps you loving muppet, im pretty sure they get the whole nazi thing

heres a news flash, theres dumb idiots all over the world. it isnt exclusive to the british. i mean, youre a shining example of a total dipshit

:waycool:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, I sort of "get" that the Nazi thing in Britain is about national survival and the blitz and all that poo poo (so use of the iconography is fundamentally ironic and parodic, this is also probably why Poles like making Nazi Ork heads so drat much), but for the rest of the world it's conquest and trains full of :jewish: rumbling east and coming back "mysteriously" empty.

I'm not British, so that may be a thing, but I always thought this was a 20-something being an edgelord, without thinking about the members of his own family who were buddy-buddy with Hitler (because he was a pissed-off 21-year-old)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm not British, so that may be a thing, but I always thought this was a 20-something being an edgelord, without thinking about the members of his own family who were buddy-buddy with Hitler (because he was a pissed-off 21-year-old)

Except it's only the names that change. It seems like "So and so caught dressing up like a goddamn Nazi: WE HAVE PICS" is an evergreen story for the British press, I remember hearing essentially this 20 or 25 years ago (before which it was probably too dog-bites-man to even qualify as "news").

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Prince Harry was a University student at the time, who happened to be a public figure, doing something stupid that the whole country thought was in poor taste. The media in general slammed him for it at the time and the tabloids went nuts because it is the type of easily hyped 'story' they love to shove on the cover to grab attention.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Soccer hooligans isn't so much a nerds vs jocks thing as it is 'holy poo poo, these people are deranged, violent lunatics over football'. The infectious cheerfulness of hooliganism is key to understanding why the orkz are having such a great time krumpin' oomiez.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Schadenboner posted:

So, the Ork is, fundamentally an expression of "otherness" to the (originally British) audience

It's a comment on UK subcultures/classes.

Goffs: punk/metal
Evil Sunz: boy racers
Bad Moon: nouveau riche
Snakebites: hippies and crusties
Blood Axes: National Front/Combat 18
Deathskulls: not entirely sure

Whether this is part of the "otherness"? Most of the original GW writing staff would have counted themselves as punk at the time.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Schadenboner posted:

Meanwhile the American president is endorsed by the KKK, Sweden's nobility is full of nazis that was never confronted by the fact, and Israel is literally apartheid.

Everyone is an rear end in a top hat!

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Not a viking posted:

Meanwhile the American president is endorsed by the KKK, Sweden's nobility is full of nazis that was never confronted by the fact, and Israel is literally apartheid.

The next in line for the British throne is also a hardcore 'traditionalist' who wants to bring back feudalism.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Jonny Nox posted:

Considering who he married, he obviously wasn't actually a Nazi, so yes. I'm sure it was edgelordism.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Colonial Air Force posted:

Considering who he married, he obviously wasn't actually a Nazi, so yes. I'm sure it was edgelordism.

People grow up between their early 20s and early 30s? :newlol:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

glitchkrieg posted:

Whether this is part of the "otherness"? Most of the original GW writing staff would have counted themselves as punk at the time.

Sorry, literally all I know about British culture in the 1980s comes from The Young Ones and Let's Start a War.

:shrug:

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

glitchkrieg posted:

Not 100% on Deathskulls. I'd guess the Scots (blue body paint, steal everything not nailed down, lean towards engineering) based on the stereotypes of the time.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

glitchkrieg posted:

People grow up between their early 20s and early 30s? :newlol:

Well, yes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892678/

quote:

The frontal lobes, home to key components of the neural circuitry underlying “executive functions” such as planning, working memory, and impulse control, are among the last areas of the brain to mature; they may not be fully developed until halfway through the third decade of life [2]

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Not a viking posted:

Sweden's nobility is full of nazis that was never confronted by the fact
Aaaaah, ok them. This explains the Swedish co-host on "The Honest Wargamer" podcast making a joke about how his game was "like Auschwitz" in a recent Age of Sigmar tournament. Piece of poo poo.

Not a viking posted:

There needs to be a Lego Movie parody song called "Everyone's an rear end in a top hat!"

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Is he nobility or just an rear end in a top hat? My point was to judge people individually whether or not they are assholes, and not based on their country of origin.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Not a viking posted:

Is he nobility or just an rear end in a top hat? My point was to judge people individually whether or not they are assholes, and not based on their country of origin.

I'm assuming he's just an rear end in a top hat. Though the fact that Sweden is cool with their nobility being a bunch of Nazis kind of makes it more understandable how he can casually make a comment like that.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Lupercalcalcal posted:

Not 100% on Deathskulls. I'd guess the Scots (blue body paint, steal everything not nailed down, lean towards engineering) based on the stereotypes of the time.

That makes more sense than what I was thinking...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm assuming he's just an rear end in a top hat. Though the fact that Sweden is cool with their nobility being a bunch of Nazis kind of makes it more understandable how he can casually make a comment like that.
A large majority of people here in :sweden: regard the nobility as a powerless relic of a long bygone age not worth paying attention to.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Groetgaffel posted:

A large majority of people here in :sweden: regard the nobility as a powerless relic of a long bygone age not worth paying attention to.

Cool. I'll chalk it up to that guy being a total rear end in a top hat then.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
if your skaven is at least 6 months old and holding its head up on its own, you can use the face-forward position:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Nebalebadingdong posted:

if your skaven is at least 6 months old and holding its head up on its own, you can use the face-forward position:

I love it! Not only is it a hilarious conversion, but it kinda feels like it could be canon based off of the wacky shenanigans that those rat dudes get up to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:hist101: Rat Ogres were a valid warlord mount option back in WHFB, but no official model ever came out.

I always figured it would look more like Master Blaster, but this is also a good look.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya, baby bjorn style is legit way for a warlord get around with a rat ogre.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, baby bjorn style is legit way for a warlord get around with a rat ogre.

Much safer from arrows than sitting up top!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Saw this on a scale model news site.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/06/a-lil-peeping-tom-churning-lass-dog-rat.html

Guess there are just some things I'll never understand, like who buys this stuff.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That one at least has some use for creating a cheeky little townscape full of shenanigans, as opposed to your standard titty miniature. Assuming the kid isn't wanking, anyway.

I kind of want the kid in isolation actually to create bizarre things with. Him peering through a hole in the wall to discover a whole bunch of Splintered Light's woodland creatures range doing savage animal battle over a large cheese, for instance.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Loomer posted:

I kind of want the kid in isolation actually to create bizarre things with. Him peering through a hole in the wall to discover a whole bunch of Splintered Light's woodland creatures range doing savage animal battle over a large cheese, for instance.

Ya I'd jack off to that too if I were the kid.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hauki
May 11, 2010

A+

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Nice post/av combo

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Symetrique posted:

Guess there are just some things I'll never understand, like who buys this stuff.

Germans.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Mein gott.

I hadn't checked the site since they did their Shizuoka posts, looks like I missed something even more ridiculous.

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/05/two-new-fire-releases-of-thre-figures.html

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How could you post that and not this:

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

How could you post that and not this:

What about this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is a very very weird battle of stalingrad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Synthbuttrange posted:

This is a very very weird battle of stalingrad

Russ Meyer’s Operation Uranus!