Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pick posted:

Someone's doing an interesting project showing how the WIR style would have looked on the princesses who were already 3d. it's weird.

Tell that person to include the Kingdom Hearts 3 versions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kangra posted:

Is this on Hoopla, or physical copy? I'm seeing the 'Scooby-Doo' Team-Up if that's what it is.

Scooby-Doo! and Kiss Rock and Roll Mystery : Original Movie

Both the city and the county library systems have physical copies.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Wait, what's wrong with Your Name's ending?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Dog Kisser posted:

People are cynics and want everyone to be sad forever even when they don't exist

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Unmature posted:

People are cynics and want everyone to be sad forever even when they don't exist

Either that or they want to see the leads get married as well.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

They could’ve done a fifth breast groping joke but didn’t. I was ready to laugh again!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

I hate this. Second pic makes her look dumber, "prettier", and without authentic emotions, like something a bad male artist would do.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It makes her look like a child.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They could’ve done a fifth breast groping joke but didn’t. I was ready to laugh again!

B-bakaaaaaaa!!!!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Boss Baby 3?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

They didnt all die.

Also it wasnt jusy the movie Frequency but animated

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

They didnt all die.

Also it wasnt jusy the movie Frequency but animated

*grabs his dad's boobs* DESU?!?

*receives text* "baka!"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/13/17457980/dumbo-trailer-baby-mine-aurora-cover-song

Eeeeeeeew. He's gonna spackle it with so much whimsical melancholy that it'll drown out everything else.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dog Kisser posted:

10 minutes of will they won't they nonsense based on the assumption that I care about whether two kids with 30 seconds of screen time together and even less chemistry, meet in later life. Meanwhile the entire rest of the plot is resolved offscreen.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
it's me, the guy who thinks that the movie is about the comet and not the relationship of the two main characters

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's really about the relationship between the comet and the town

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Robindaybird posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/6/13/17457980/dumbo-trailer-baby-mine-aurora-cover-song

Eeeeeeeew. He's gonna spackle it with so much whimsical melancholy that it'll drown out everything else.

It looks alright, and I'm always down for more Eva Green, but Dumbo is already perfect, so I'm not sure how a remake could possibly improve upon it.

ALFbrot posted:

it's me, the guy who thinks that the movie is about the comet and not the relationship of the two main characters

But enough about Armageddon.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Dumbo is already perfect,

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

why did they add a whole family to the dumbo premise?

I like this answer because it works on two levels.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8LWUyUy7jM

This looks... Fine. I guess :shrug:

I will say, I do like that it seems he doesn't hate his dog.

edit: Though I really don't know why they keep wanting to give him any kind of origin story about WHY he hates Christmas. Can't he literally just be a grinch

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Because Tim Burton can't go a movie without ramming in daddy issues.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm glad we agree. :)

Macaluso posted:

edit: Though I really don't know why they keep wanting to give him any kind of origin story about WHY he hates Christmas. Can't he literally just be a grinch

Look, it's not easy to pad these out to 90 minutes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

paradoxGentleman posted:

why did they add a whole family to the dumbo premise?

More importantly, why did they add the family and remove Timothy, and by extension the crows?

On a more facetious note, I'll bet they're going to take out the stork too :argh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As much as I complained about Be Prepared being take out of the Lion King, these live action remakes would be even more pointless if they made no changes from the original and were the same movie but not cartoons

Dumbo will probably be bad but the story also isn't much of a stretch for Burton and honestly already fits the story he always tells way better than Alice in Wonderland

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

glam rock hamhock posted:

Dumbo will probably be bad but the story also isn't much of a stretch for Burton and honestly already fits the story he always tells way better than Alice in Wonderland

What is the story he always tells? The movies of his that I remember seeing are Nightmare Before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland, and beyond the whole "travel to another world" thing I can't think of a lot of things in common.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

paradoxGentleman posted:

What is the story he always tells? The movies of his that I remember seeing are Nightmare Before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland, and beyond the whole "travel to another world" thing I can't think of a lot of things in common.

"I'll go to the circus because daddy doesn't love me"

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Uh oh I made another video about cartoons
https://youtu.be/BdAwmwYBU-g

And this didn't take long

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Reminder that Tim Burton neither wrote the screenplay* nor directed Nightmare Before Christmas.

* Although he did write a three-page poem that the movie's based on, which was later adapted into a children's book.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Aces High posted:

More importantly, why did they add the family and remove Timothy, and by extension the crows?

On a more facetious note, I'll bet they're going to take out the stork too :argh:

The lead crow was literally named "Jim Crow."

We don't need the crows.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

He loves to tell the story of someone who is an outcast but in the end becomes beloved or saves the day with the thing that makes them an outcast.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Unmature posted:

:fut:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Anyone else see an Incredibles 1/2 double feature last night? Ours was plagued with problems (like the house lights not dimming until 10 minutes into the first film and the previews being all garbled) and they had no intermission between the two films. But once it got rolling, it was great.

The sequel's just as good as the first movie, in that they're both rocking good times. Watching the first film re-rendered in 4K on a gigantic screen definitely shows that we've advanced in terms of the graphics and realism of these CGI rendered movies.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Gonna try to catch Incredibles 2 after I get my car's oil changed this afternoon, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Unmature posted:

drat it Matthew!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

The sequel's just as good as the first movie, in that they're both rocking good times. Watching the first film re-rendered in 4K on a gigantic screen definitely shows that we've advanced in terms of the graphics and realism of these CGI rendered movies.

drat I wish I had seen this.
That's what I thought when they did the Toy Story 1/2 double features right before 3 came out. CG animation ages like milk.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Unmature posted:

drat I wish I had seen this.
That's what I thought when they did the Toy Story 1/2 double features right before 3 came out. CG animation ages like milk.

It's not as rough as that, I think. Incredibles was when they got solid, no-excuses human animation working, and Bird was the guy to make it happen. Everyone is so expressive and the characters on-screen are so fluid in motion that it really helps paper over the fact that texturing, particle effects, and lighting are leaps and bounds ahead in the new film. The lava and rock texturing in the island are particular offenders. The city and house sets still manage to look OK due to strong art direction, but that's because they're intentionally minimalist to fit the art deco/retro-future style. I loved the original when it came out (saw it twice in the theater) and bought the art book and I still love watching it even though it has aged.

DVDs in lower resolutions (as well as film projections) have a kind of antialias effect that softens these things up a bit, and that made some of the old flaws more apparent. But what was actually improved was the lighting and dynamic range. I had an appreciation for the scene where Mr. Incredible is doing his workout montage in the trainyard, which had pretty strong lighting and shadow texture and detail was considerable. On the other hand the resolution was great for things that had any kind of art detail. Bob's office/study was an absolute treat.

The most distracting thing was where hair met heads, though. I remember Syndrome and Helen's hair looking great when I originally saw the film. Now when you see where the hair meets skin, it seems like a doll. New films are able to do better simulations of those kinds of things. This is the kind of stuff that render speed has bought us.

Ignoring all the things I noticed about visual cues, though, is that the movie is so strong on its writing and direction that they just kind of fade into the background. I wish more movies were able to pull off the simultaneous love/skewering that Incredibles 1 and 2 do, because that's what says it's a work of art to me. A recognition and embrace of its flaws yet tries nonetheless to be better.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 14, 2018

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Unmature posted:

Yeah, but surely there has to be a limit to patience. The Thief and the Cobbler took thirty years to never be completed, and even in it's 'definitive' cut it's not a very good movie. It plays like an animation test reel. There's no excusing John Kricfalusi taking six years and counting to release a 5 minute short.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SolarFire2 posted:

Yeah, but surely there has to be a limit to patience. The Thief and the Cobbler took thirty years to never be completed, and even in it's 'definitive' cut it's not a very good movie. It plays like an animation test reel. There's no excusing John Kricfalusi taking six years and counting to release a 5 minute short.

and really all the stuff added back into the Thief and Cobbler, while visually impressive when it's not pencil tests/ashcan level set up, really just dragged the pacing down to a snail's crawl.

And honestly, the longer something takes in animation/film, the higher the chances of it either just being shelved, or end up like Pluto Nash

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Honestly, does Richard Williams gain much of anything from animating on 1s instead of 2s? I know it does make the movement more fluid, but as long as the key frames are good does it make enough of a difference to justify doubling the amount of effort involved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I just saw The Incredibles and Incredibles 2 back-to-back also (although I just saw the first one at my house instead of at a movie theater). I was expecting the new one to be a little worse than the original, but I think it was actually a little better instead, with the inherent problems of sequelization bringing it back down to about as good as the original. Incredibles 3 is the main Pixar sequel I'd be interested in going forward, and I would happily cancel Toy Story 4 to make it happen. (Although that's not really a fair trade, given that I think Toy Story 4 is a bad idea that shouldn't happen anyway.)

In any case I'm glad that Pixar is backing off of the sequels, but this is an example of what Pixar sequels should be, as opposed to Cars 2 (simply terrible, everyone knows this movie is bad and it's probably actually single-handedly responsible for the "Pixar sequels are bad" consensus just by throwing the average), Monsters University (I actually do like this movie quite a bit, but I still think making it was a bad decision on a lot of levels, which is pretty much the best case scenario for Toy Story 4 at this point), or Finding Dory (pretty and fun but a bizarrely fleeting experience, probably because it doesn't sufficiently embrace Dory and Hank as the protagonist and deuteragonist and tries to spin too many plates by looping Marlin and Nemo in just because they were the leads of the first movie).