Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If sales have been dropping off, they might have decided that renewing the license wasn't worth the price WotC wanted them to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Finster Dexter posted:

Even with all the investment they did on developing and releasing Revised Core Set?

Revised core set may have been their means of judging how much interest still existed in the game before deciding whether or not to look into renewing the license, and if it underperformed I could totally see them pulling the plug on it. All we know is that FFG chose not to pay to renew the license. I doubt suddenly WotC is wringing their hands asking for more money, since WotC likely has very little interest in starting Netrunner up again and Netrunner hasn’t shown to be a huge competitor for MtG. FFG never said that they were unable to pay for the new licensing rates or anything like that, just that they weren’t renewing the license. The fees may be the exact same as they were initially, and FFG just doesn’t think Netrunner would make enough money to make that investment worth it.

Others have said in this thread that they noticed ANR sales trending down recently at their LGS’s, and the same holds true where I’m at too. It just seems much more likely to me that the revised core underperformed and FFG decided “nah, this poo poo ain’t worth renewing the license.” I’m sure it was making enough money to keep the game afloat if there weren’t any licensing fees, but even a small amount would likely mean pulling the plug. I know it’s hard to admit here in the Netrunner thread, but maybe the game died not because WotC was asking for too much money, but just because the game wasn’t very profitable.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can we start a fan campaign to bring Netrunner home and make it the Gwent equivalent in Cyberpunk 2077? This is not actually a joke.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bring back Blood Cat + Roving Submarine :unsmigghh:

That was my signature build in ONR. It was a pretty simple plan that fit a lot of decks. Use your first scoring window to set up the server all at once (especially if you have a Glacier ready to go) and then spend the rest of the game with an unlimited number of free unstoppable Trace 5s. Pretty useless against TagMe, but a death sentence for just about anything else, and the only deck where I ever got I Got A Rock to go off.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 12, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

NmareBfly posted:

Can we start a fan campaign to bring Netrunner home and make it the Gwent equivalent in Cyberpunk 2077? This is not actually a joke.

Thanks for planting this idea in my head, now I'll never be truly happy again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Revised core set may have been their means of judging how much interest still existed in the game before deciding whether or not to look into renewing the license, and if it underperformed I could totally see them pulling the plug on it. All we know is that FFG chose not to pay to renew the license. I doubt suddenly WotC is wringing their hands asking for more money, since WotC likely has very little interest in starting Netrunner up again and Netrunner hasn’t shown to be a huge competitor for MtG. FFG never said that they were unable to pay for the new licensing rates or anything like that, just that they weren’t renewing the license. The fees may be the exact same as they were initially, and FFG just doesn’t think Netrunner would make enough money to make that investment worth it.

Others have said in this thread that they noticed ANR sales trending down recently at their LGS’s, and the same holds true where I’m at too. It just seems much more likely to me that the revised core underperformed and FFG decided “nah, this poo poo ain’t worth renewing the license.” I’m sure it was making enough money to keep the game afloat if there weren’t any licensing fees, but even a small amount would likely mean pulling the plug. I know it’s hard to admit here in the Netrunner thread, but maybe the game died not because WotC was asking for too much money, but just because the game wasn’t very profitable.

The only problem I really have with this is assuming that FFG was paying a ton for the Netrunner license in the first place. If WotC raised the price and FFG decided that it wasn't worth it, then it would be both parties 'fault'. I could certainly believe that as the Netrunner game/brand is the corner stone of FFG's LCGs and for that reason alone they'd want to keep it, but again as I floated earlier, if they're cutting costs before a potential Asmodee sale this makes a lot of sense.

WotC has no desire to use the license now that they have it back, I'd almost eat my hat on that. If the last ten years have seen the day of board games come again, they waited until 2pm until they finally started getting into that market. It been long suspected that Hasbro only opens the purse strings enough to let Wizards do Magic and D&D. They got Avalon Hill back in like 03 and never convinced Hasbro to let them do reprints of anything beyond the classics: Risk, Acquire, Diplomacy. poo poo, it took them years to just let them do a second edition of Betrayal at House on the Hill. Add to all this that WotC making another card game would put it in competition with Magic at a time when Magic is in a recession...yeah, not happening.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PaybackJack posted:

The only problem I really have with this is assuming that FFG was paying a ton for the Netrunner license in the first place. If WotC raised the price and FFG decided that it wasn't worth it, then it would be both parties 'fault'. I could certainly believe that as the Netrunner game/brand is the corner stone of FFG's LCGs and for that reason alone they'd want to keep it, but again as I floated earlier, if they're cutting costs before a potential Asmodee sale this makes a lot of sense.

WotC has no desire to use the license now that they have it back, I'd almost eat my hat on that. If the last ten years have seen the day of board games come again, they waited until 2pm until they finally started getting into that market. It been long suspected that Hasbro only opens the purse strings enough to let Wizards do Magic and D&D. They got Avalon Hill back in like 03 and never convinced Hasbro to let them do reprints of anything beyond the classics: Risk, Acquire, Diplomacy. poo poo, it took them years to just let them do a second edition of Betrayal at House on the Hill. Add to all this that WotC making another card game would put it in competition with Magic at a time when Magic is in a recession...yeah, not happening.

Honestly they probably weren’t paying a ton for it in the first place, but FFG absolutely could decide that the cheap cost is still too much. I doubt that it cost that much initially, and probably not much now. Doesn't mean that it's not "too much" though.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Netrunner sales definitely have been poor for a while; the store clerk I talked to told me sales have been poor for more than two years. Just look at the traffic this thread and its predecessor have been getting in that time, it was much less than in Netrunner's heyday. I can only speak for myself, but SanSan introduced a lot of problem cards that reduced my enthusiasm for the game. Just look at Dan's winning Valencia list from 2015. The MWL was nice, but then Mumbad was an even huger clusterfuck than SanSan had been. I still got that cycle, but when Damon introduced even more poorly balanced cards in Flashpoint, I got out of the competitive game for good, and only bought Terminal Directive afterwards, which I still haven't played. I didn't pay very much attention to the game afterwards, but Boggs seemed to have his head on straight, and Core 2.0 definitely looked well thought-out. But regardless of that, only one of my three closest Netrunner-playing friends kept playing, and even he quit after Red Sands because the enthusiasm was gone.

Knowing that Netrunner has reached its conclusion in a timely enough manner that I can still catch up with the card pool is the only thing that got me back. I have no idea if I'll ever really play it again, or go through the effort to assemble a draft cube, but I have a lot of fond memories of the game, back when I was trying to get Anarchs to work in the early days before Order and Chaos came out. LCGs turned out to be more of a time and money investment than I can justify for myself, so even if there is a reboot of some sort, I won't return to it, but it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I cant imagine the LotR and Game of Thrones licenses are that much different from Netrunners and they still make those games despite not ever seeing a single person playing them. I hope they clear up what the reason was some day.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I was thinking of sell my old Netrunner cards, but I may just keep them now since the whole thing is never going to get reprinted now.

Funny how the game ending and the cardpool becoming static/fixed means I'm actually more interested in the game now. I think LCG kind of get really bloated as the card pool expands-- see the excitement dwindling for this game as the card pool exploded.

I may just go with Revised Core + the 5x large expansions + the last cycle and sell the rest.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I told y'all Clippy would kill netrunner

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think a better model might be releasing a moderate number of standalone boxes, with quantities such that you never need more than two of a box for a complete playset of a card. Even if they're just set up like MtG's duel decks, that still allows for a low barrier of entry for new players to get a feel for the game.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to build an LCG that's essentially premade decks only. Like break down everything in your standard 6 pack + big box cycle into 7 decks. New player wants to get into the game? Tell him to pick any pack from runners and from corps and boom, he's got two complete decks that are ready to go. Would do a lot for the pick up and play. Would probably be a nightmare trying to divy up cards between all the decks if they wanted to avoid duplicates in some form though.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Minrad posted:

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to build an LCG that's essentially premade decks only.

This is possibly a dumb move and I should have asked ya'll but I ordered the 4 2016 and 2015 championship decks just because premade decks sound neat. If anything the art should be nice?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Minrad posted:

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to build an LCG that's essentially premade decks only. Like break down everything in your standard 6 pack + big box cycle into 7 decks. New player wants to get into the game? Tell him to pick any pack from runners and from corps and boom, he's got two complete decks that are ready to go. Would do a lot for the pick up and play. Would probably be a nightmare trying to divy up cards between all the decks if they wanted to avoid duplicates in some form though.

Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn is essentially this model, and the starter decks for AGoT2e will be similar to the idea.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

This is possibly a dumb move and I should have asked ya'll but I ordered the 4 2016 and 2015 championship decks just because premade decks sound neat. If anything the art should be nice?

They are going to have some rotated out cards but also full playsets of anything you're still going to want with cool full card art. If you're just playing them against each other you probably don't need to worry a ton about rotated cards anyway.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

I did this same thing when they got released. They are nice to have. :unsmith:

I need to figure out which cards I'm missing from when I quit. Now that the game is dead I might as well buy a core 2.0 set and whatever packs released just to have them since I'm already sunk in and it's never getting reprinted. That's probably stupid.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 13, 2018

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Y'know I actually think that's really admirable in a way. Like, it always kind of bewildered me how card games seem to subsist purely on hype and the "cult of the new," and still does. People screaming "stale meta" and demanding fresh cards and stuff all the time. Again I refer to experiences in Hearthstone, where it often feels like the hype train is a regular series of smoke bombs to make players ignore deep-rooted issues, but also to the new L5R where a long break between releases threatened to make people stop playing, in total conflict with players' assertions that it was a good game they enjoyed*. But an actual good game is an actual good game without regard to the frequency of shiny new add-on releases, right? Board gamers know this and continue playing match after match of classics like Caylus with no cries for new Provost Paks (TM) or whatever. So, if you're buying the last pieces of Netrunner before it officially dies, I say good on you for recognizing a game you enjoy playing and being willing to continue playing it without needing to be dazzled by perpetual marketing.

*I know serious tournament balance issues developed (which FFG has acted to rectify BTW for anyone here considering L5R) but I swear to you I saw many people online insisting they enjoyed the game regardless, yet would stop playing or even sell their cards or whatever if they didn't hear more release announcements

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Obsessive nerds don't actually know what they want, news at 11.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I am an obsessive nerd and I know what I want, it's a fully playset of Netrunner the LCG before it disappears forever :v:

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Quidthulhu posted:

I am an obsessive nerd and I know what I want, it's a fully playset of Netrunner the LCG before it disappears forever :v:

I hope you already pre-ordered Reign and Reverie, then -- it seems like it's already scarce, at least at the usual places.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Now that the game is (almost) done, I wonder what the fan rulings for tournaments will shape up to look like. I could even see many cards being taken "out" of rotation, and instead just leaving many of the previous problem cards banned. After all, all tournaments from here will just be fan ones anyways.

It'll also be interesting to see how the meta turns out and shifts. Hopefully as strong decks show up, other decks will come along to counter those, etc. Fingers crossed FFG left the meta in a state where it can shift!

I also wonder what happened to previously designed cards. After all, I remember Lucas (?) talking about how cards are designed like a year in advance, which must mean there are card designs that won't be used. That or employees were told a while ago and have just been keeping things under wraps. Would be cool if there ARE unused designs if maybe they leak out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'd like to see the art they probably already bought for the next cycle.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

werdnam posted:

I hope you already pre-ordered Reign and Reverie, then -- it seems like it's already scarce, at least at the usual places.

Fffff, I didn't know it was out already :\

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

Fffff, I didn't know it was out already :\

Comes out in two weeks, but yeah I was thinking August for some reason too.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Midjack posted:

Comes out in two weeks, but yeah I was thinking August for some reason too.

My local shop was able to put an order in for me, so I should be good! Six packs left to completion~

AgentF
May 11, 2009

werdnam posted:

Thanks for the reminder. Just done this now. I will be with Netrunner until the end! (and for years afterwards because there are so many cards I still haven't played with even once)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Wow, is every single Netrunner card product showing out of stock on FFG's site?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Minrad posted:

If the license got pulled they may have had to stop selling anything using it. Something similar went down after they lost their Warhammer / 40K licenses when GW got mad that FFG started making Star Wars minis.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think they set a hard date of some time in October for when they would have to stop selling Netrunner products. Until then, they probably actually are out of stock.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Minrad posted:

They were back in stock like 2 days ago, but now are all sold out again. The Conquest last card cycle was printed once only, so I am not sure what the chances are of things getting restocked if they are already at the printers

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Hi Netrunner thread, I enjoyed Netrunner back in the day but decided that the game was going in a bit of an odd direction when they added 'current' cards and the card pool was starting to feel overinflated even then.

Is it worth snapping anything up now that the game's coming off the shelves, or is my collection of the first two cycles and Creation and Control enough to get the occasional fix?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bobvonunheil posted:

Hi Netrunner thread, I enjoyed Netrunner back in the day but decided that the game was going in a bit of an odd direction when they added 'current' cards and the card pool was starting to feel overinflated even then.

Is it worth snapping anything up now that the game's coming off the shelves, or is my collection of the first two cycles and Creation and Control enough to get the occasional fix?

You might grab the other big boxes (Honor and Profit, Order and Chaos, Data and Destiny, Reign and Reverie when it comes out) though a lot of people seem to be panic buying and some sellers are already trying to jack prices up.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I may be biased, but if you get Honor and Profit and the third cycle, you'd have the perfect collection of Netrunner before it started going off the rails too far.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Reddit Netrunner nerds seem to suggest Core 2.0 + newest deluxe (that is out of stock already everwhere) + the last cycle.

The India-based cycle seemed like a lot of garbage, and the Flash Point and Mars cycles seemed to be very meh. The last cycle seemed to get on its footing again.

Remember, you can always sort by what packs you have on Netrunnerdb.com. Also as things get more stale expect more and more full Netrunner collections to be up on ebay and such.

I'm probably going to drop 200 bux on finishing off Netrunner because I've always liked it and it's going out of print. However, I am fully expecting it to be relaunched by WoTC or something for Cyberpunk 2077. But gently caress that. Android Universe setting is awesome.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

jeeves posted:

Android Universe setting is awesome.

Goddamn right it is. It's funny, nothing in the setting is particularly unique, but it's all so interconnected and fleshed out that all the factions have really nice feeling identities.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Does anyone know where I have a shot of pre-ordering Reign and Reverie in the UK? I use Chaoscards.co.uk to buy all my Data Packs, but it is already sold out of pre-orders for the final expansion.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Australia's tiny trickle of Reign and Reverie seems to have been completely gobbled up. Any American folks able to help out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Does anyone know where I have a shot of pre-ordering Reign and Reverie in the UK? I use Chaoscards.co.uk to buy all my Data Packs, but it is already sold out of pre-orders for the final expansion.

I would also like to know. I've put in an email to know when it's back in stock (and there should be time to get a copy even than), but there's always that doubt.