Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stormgale posted:

The loot stuff mostly open up one you reach level 20, so don't fret about things till then.

During the story youll get a few options of items, pick whatever seems neat

That is great to know! :D Now to keep shooting and gunning and sliding and punching!

There is something really neat to me about having a mix of public and private in the same game. It is like we are all having a grand adventure but with our own B-stories.

I also like seeing somebody doing some fighting and being able to assist - especially reviving others. I am not as much into PvP in most games, so I am not very worried about that part, but the PvE is great. I punched a yellow named captain into one of those wobbly star like black spawn doors and he screamed as though he was falling into eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You want to focus on the main quest and do whatever adventures seem fun, essentially. So much poo poo opens at level 20 / after the main quest that you'll have plenty of stuff (including new adventures) competing for your attention

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Important to note that apart from in one/two of the max level zones, doing all the adventures is never necessary to unlock anything.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

VideoGames posted:

Thank you for the advice, but I am not there yet in knowing what all this means. Are these classes and weapons?

Arc titan and devour warlock are two subclasses, one for the titan class, the other for the warlock class.

Skullfort, Karstein and Winter's Guile are armor pieces of the exotic quality (the highest one which comes with special perks) you'll get them eventually. Over the course of the main campaign you'll get to chose between 3 exotic hunter armor pieces, 3 exotic weapons and then you'll get a mediocre exotic hunter armor piece at the end of the first DLC campaign and a very good exotic hunter armor piece at the end of the second DLC campaign.

For the choices, dont worry you'll be able to get the things you don't chose through random drops.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you think you'll try a second class, hang on to your sub-level 20 rare weapons. They make subsequent playthroughs much smoother.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/1007458178357837824

the associated image in case it doesn't show:

lmao, bows are gonna be so sick for skillshots

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

RocketRaygun posted:

Yeah, I think the biggest reason people complained about the game was that grinding those public events was one of the only ways to progress.

And yet the answer was to remove it without putting anything in its place, in typical :destiny: way.

(Raiders hated that everyone could avoid having anything to do with them, and no, that did not solve the image problem of :destiny: 2).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Why am I not surprised that :destiny: is a thing.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why am I not surprised that :destiny: is a thing.

I am not surprised that it was a thing in 2014 already :allears:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Stormgale posted:

Important to note that apart from in one/two of the max level zones, doing all the adventures is never necessary to unlock anything.

You have to do all of the mars ones to unlock the heroic versions so you can do the Polaris Lance quest. I think that's the only set of adventures you _have_ to do.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What is a polaris lance? I have two pursuits from Mars that look like a pain in the rear end to do. Does one of them lead to that?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yes it's one of the pursuits. It's an exotic energy scout rifle and I like it a hell of a lot.

The other one is for the sleeper simulant. It's an exotic fusion rifle and I like it a hell of a lot.

E: I don't remember having to do all the adventures though?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

bamhand posted:

What is a polaris lance? I have two pursuits from Mars that look like a pain in the rear end to do. Does one of them lead to that?

Polaris Lance is dope, and probably my favorite gun in the game right now. Awesome for single target dps, and really, really fun in pvp.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

None of this matters at all, but man, I get a chuckle out of this stuff sometimes.

We got the gun Red Dick’s Claymore, the comp pvp reward. You know, a claymore.

We got Polaris Lance.

We got Telesto.

None of these are guns, except for in the world of Destiny. Baller.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Are there any guns that have gun names in destiny? Better Devils, Nameless Midnight, Positive Outlook, Crimil's Dagger etc.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

el B posted:

Polaris Lance is dope, and probably my favorite gun in the game right now. Awesome for single target dps, and really, really fun in pvp.

High Impact Scout is the worst archetype for PvP, and all its exotic perks are related to chaining Crits. What makes it fun in pvp??

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

High Impact Scout is the worst archetype for PvP, and all its exotic perks are related to chaining Crits. What makes it fun in pvp??

Killing people with the explosion.

Plus, it has Zen moment. I love The Purpose. I love Polaris waaaaay more.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Like, seriously. You might be surprised how good it is.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Intriguing. Does the explosion kill if you hit them in the body? The head?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

el B posted:

Like, seriously. You might be surprised how good it is.

It takes 4 headshots to load the explosive round for bullet #5, right? But doesn't it kill in 3 headshots?

I'll give it a whirl but it seems like its benefits only kick in when you've already well and truly whomped 'em

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It takes 4 headshots to load the explosive round for bullet #5, right?

Yes. There are 4 indicator lights around the scope. Took me way too long to notice.

Also the charged shot sadly fades after a few seconds (and the only indicator seems to be on the side of the un scoped gun strangely) and the headshots get reset on reload.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
nice i always wondered what Zen meteor would be like if it was even worse and also attached to the worst weapon archetype in the game

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Zen moments make crits super easy. Crits don't reset on reload. The perfect 5th has a short window to use.

Maybe a simple, entry level gun like Graviton Lance or Vigilance Wing will be better suited for low skill pvp players.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

el B posted:

Crits don't reset on reload.

Huh could have sworn...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I didn't realize Polaris Lance was so common among the top skill tiers!

Is it just no fun to use a gun with a competitive TTK or useful perks when you're that good?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Fathis Munk posted:

Huh could have sworn...

I'll admit sometimes it's finicky. Could be bugged. But I have most definitely reloaded and gained perfect 5th after one crit.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
It's fun. It's not meta. I'm obsessed with it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Fun is a plenty good enough reason to do a thing :cheers:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

el B posted:

It's fun. It's not meta. I'm obsessed with it.

Those are the best weapons imo.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Fathis Munk posted:

Are there any guns that have gun names in destiny? Better Devils, Nameless Midnight, Positive Outlook, Crimil's Dagger etc.

Gun themed guns seems rather redundant.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
True. It would kinda own to just have a series of gun named guns now tho.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Guns are just named after model numbers (226, 1911) or a boring acronym (Universal Self-loading Pistol) though

And real life named guns (Desert Eagle, The Judge) sound like the guns in Destiny already!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Fathis Munk posted:

True. It would kinda own to just have a series of gun named guns now tho.

You should check out the Bofa-DZ guns coming after the expansion

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Your mom said she's excited to try em in all 3 slots

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this isn't really related but whenever me and my friends would play borderlands, the weapons that generated the most interest were...just guns. maybe a red dot or something, but all anybody ever wanted was a gun that shot regular bullets in a straight line because everything else was so loving annoying.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

That's some weak bait imo.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Fathis Munk posted:

That's some weak bait imo.

It was entirely a setup for the second post

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Polaris Lance melts wizards and other solar shielded enemies.

It's also a more forgiving Jade Rabbit.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Didn't know that they were adding derringers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I played Crucible for the first time and I had no idea what I was doing. But it was fun! Reminded me of CS but with more flying around and lasers. Why do people say it's bad?

• Locked thread