Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Currently optimizing download cache and it's going to take a bit. How annoying is the Umbra grind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Azran posted:

Currently optimizing download cache and it's going to take a bit. How annoying is the Umbra grind?

Not bad

Like, really, really not bad

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'grind'

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, really pumped to see how much it differs from base Excal! Funnily enough, DE buffed Excal Prime's Armor stat for some reason.

Flamekid
Dec 27, 2012

Spicy
I feel like I missed something, because this was a pretty disappointing quest for me. Maybe I've been spoiled by the others? It just didn't seem to "do" as much.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Got through Sacrifice without any bugs, which I did not expect. Good job, DE.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm significantly more upset that I can't put Excalibur Prime's helmet on Umbra's roid-modded body. I am MAD about VIDEO GAMES.
:goonsay:

I don't have ExcalP but this is bullshit.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Azran posted:

Alright, really pumped to see how much it differs from base Excal! Funnily enough, DE buffed Excal Prime's Armor stat for some reason.

There is a really good reason for that, Umbra is a straight up better warframe than prime

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Azran posted:

The grind is having to redo the last mission 8 times because it keeps bugging out.

Other than that there is literally 0 grind, the frame even comes at level 30 already, with a free sword, and 5 mods at rank 5/10.

Just have to get past the goddamned bugs.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Only bug I ran into was the arsenal occasionally going non-responsive and soft-locking the game.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Apparently the game expects you, on the last quest shortly after you get to start using Umbra Excal, to not use Umbra Excal, and ESPECIALLY don't use Exalted Blade.

If you don't use your 4 and are in operator mode at the time the last enemy is killed, you shouldn't end up with a soft lock at that part.

The first time I figured it was a random bug, the second time it bugged out someone told me I had to be outside of the frame, the third time I was told I needed to not be using my 4 during the fight.

Fourth try I managed to win, mainly by doing the entire fight as the operator letting my frame kill everything for me.

Flamekid
Dec 27, 2012

Spicy
I had a bug where one part of the quest required me to bring a melee weapon, but also didn't allow me to access the arsenal. Luckily, I could still change loadouts, but I don't know if there's another way past that if you don't have a loadout with a melee equipped.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Umbra has objectively the best looking alt helm in the game anyway :colbert:

It took me a moment to realise that Umbra continues to fight independently when you transfer, even outside the questline. Unfortunately he's dumber than a Spectre but goddamn it's so cool.

equip an opticor with as much attack speed as you can and just watch things die before you can kill them

Which takes me to the point: how viable the new mechanic could be for afk farming? I'll have to try that.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

nerdz posted:

equip an opticor with as much attack speed as you can and just watch things die before you can kill them

Which takes me to the point: how viable the new mechanic could be for afk farming? I'll have to try that.

He doesn't take self damage so...

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I have many questions because I did not understand the implications of that ending at all.

Does that mean space mum is the new big bad? I was really hoping for static lotus to stop.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Does anyone have the details on the partner stream rewards or anything like that because the official forums are dead

also the latest hotfix patchnotes, while we're at it?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Psion posted:

Does anyone have the details on the partner stream rewards or anything like that because the official forums are dead

also the latest hotfix patchnotes, while we're at it?

Hotfix was just fixes for a few progression stopper bugs for the new quest (and one for War Within). https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/8r8jd9/hotfix_2301/

Dunno what's up with the partner rewards.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My plot takeaways from this latest quest:

Looking at Ordis story in the cephalon fragments, It's possible that Ballas was going to trick him into becoming a warframe. That entire thing about rewarding him for being a victorious warrior fits way too well.

Also maybe the stalker is a rare dax turned warframe that kept sentience and loyalty but it's crazy in an entirely different way?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
:salt salt salt: over Excal Prime from founders who have had it for what, 5 years? the lack of perspective elsewhere on the internet is hilarious

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Sacrifice storychat:

I like that they confirmed that the Warframes are just people that the Orokin infested with a modified strain (Helminth). It was pretty obvious that was going to be one of this quest's big reveals and I would have felt kind of annoyed if they had pulled a switcheroo. The fact that they used the most elite Dax soldiers as hosts is pretty cool too, reinforces the warframes as absolute murder machines. The skill of the Dax, technology of the Orokin, physical might of the Infestation, and eldritch power of the Tenno. The Umbra alt-helm is seriously badass as well, the warframes being horrific flesh golems (as opposed to mechanical suits) is one of the coolest parts of the setting.

Ballas being a traitor is cool and makes sense given his story. It'll be neat to see where they go with his relationship with Lotus/Natah. On that note, very curious about Natah returning home to her "mother". The implication there is that we will end up travelling to the Tau system in pursuit of her, which would be an awesome way to expand the starchart.

The story and setting in Warframe has always been one of the strengths of the game, even as unemphasized as it is. I've enjoyed all of the cinematic quests DE has done so far and I'm excited to see where they will go with the game next.

Psion posted:

:salt salt salt: over Excal Prime from founders who have had it for what, 5 years? the lack of perspective elsewhere on the internet is hilarious

Honestly this is the best solution. Umbra being a sidegrade/slight upgrade means that if I want to show off my cool Prime I still can, but no one else needs to feel bad that they will never be quite as strong as me (with that specific frame). The only things I'd like them to add are a way for people to get the Mastery (not that I mind having an absolute advantage in the push for MR 26 but fair's fair) and the ability for me to put Excal Prime's helmet on Umbra.

nerdz posted:

My plot takeaways from this latest quest:

Looking at Ordis story in the cephalon fragments, It's possible that Ballas was going to trick him into becoming a warframe. That entire thing about rewarding him for being a victorious warrior fits way too well.

Also maybe the stalker is a rare dax turned warframe that kept sentience and loyalty but it's crazy in an entirely different way?

As far as I understand things, I don't think Ordis being a Cephalon is mutually exclusive with him being a Warframe as well. I think the Cephalons are just "imprints" of a mind. It could be a cool reveal down the line, Ordis coming face to face with his origin, in it's terrible new form.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 15, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Psion posted:

This is hilarious. 20% or so of my playtime is on Excal Prime. DE gave him more armor and more energy and I can use Umbra mods on him anyway. I couldn't be happier.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
Hot tip for anyone who has at least a day or two before they can start The Sacrifice: incubate an animal and have its incubation time finish, but don't claim it before you start the quest. It really enhances one of the cutscenes.

or maybe being chokeslammed against the wall next to MALE ADARZA KAVAT INCUBATED is only funny to me I dunno

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Wow the new inventory UI suuuucks. Who thought removing the text in this game with a million items was a good idea?? Maybe to streamline it even further they can get rid of the icons too.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

I was trying to solo the most basic bounty - the first part was to rescue some dude from a Grineer patrol. I was half a second from stealth killing the rear most guard, when he turns around to face the stupid ghouls that weren't carefully sneaking up on him. Prisoner ends up exploding and I die and mission fails. Ugh.
1. For the sake of your own sanity, do not try and solo plains bounties. Use public matchmaking and take a sniper primary and rapid fire secondary. I recommend Nezha or Volt for plains, both of whom can be built from the clan dojo. Only solo queue if you're resource gathering.
2. That particular bounty section is a pig but the trick is to rush it, not solo it. Ideally you run to the target and wait nearby, then when at least one other person is there you rush them, murder all the guards as quick as you can and get to the target as soon as the lotus tells you they're all dead. If you're in a group, often someone else will gently caress it up, in which case you just have to get back to Cetus and try again. I groan internally when that one comes up, but at higher levels there's usually at least one other person who is quick woth hacking or has ciphers.
3. Ciphers are your friend, buy the blueprint off the market as soon as you can afford it.
3. Bounties are better suited to higher levels, so wait 'til you have a complete set of gear (frame, 2 guns, melee weapon and sentinel) and then start grinding for Gara parts.

---

On a side note, I will probably be making a seperate console OP later today, now that the sacrifice is out. Once consoles get sacrifice, it'll probably just be for clan requests and UI complaints, and spoiler dodging when there's a major update.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone who has over 300 hours on Excal alone, Umbra is 100% my jam. I will scream at space robots forever.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

quote:

On a side note, I will probably be making a seperate console OP later today, now that the sacrifice is out. Once consoles get sacrifice, it'll probably just be for clan requests and UI complaints, and spoiler dodging when there's a major update.

The OP of the console thread should probably open with "You should play this on PC for the best experience"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I didn't think to check before I did the quest and now I'm wondering.

Do I have to forma this gently caress and his gear if I want MR off him or did it just give it to me?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Umbra's great but the best part of this update are his mods, they're a stealth buff to the tankiest frames. I'm going to have to Forma my Inaros and Valkyr Prime again twice just to make room for these things.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
It's weird that there's no (current) way to get umbra polarity tho. Something announced at tennocon? Venus?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

funkmeister posted:

It's weird that there's no (current) way to get umbra polarity tho. Something announced at tennocon? Venus?

Like how exalted weapon stances don't give mod points, my bet is incompetence.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I imagine those polarities, if not solely tied to future Umbra frames, will be the province of Tau resources. Some kind of grindy Umbra forma to enhance us.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Nalesh posted:

This would also track with how you can't sort by that polarity yet.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

funkmeister posted:

Probably just to make sure those new mods stay on umbra frames. 16 drain is tough to swallow. That new umbra intensity mod tho. Those mods except for the melee damage one are straight up better than normal mods.

I had a good time with the quest. I ran into the bug where the last cutscene wouldn't trigger only once. Though I ran into another bug where after building umbra and equipping him, after the next mission I still had him equipped, so I was told to hunt him down while walking around my orbiter with him. I think what caused it was using the loadout slots to switch frames. I didn't want to do anything that would really mess things up so I didn't try to do something silly, like fight umbra with umbra.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kind of obvious that the polarities are meant to be for umbra gear

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

AttackBacon posted:

The Umbra alt-helm is seriously badass as well, the warframes being horrific flesh golems (as opposed to mechanical suits) is one of the coolest parts of the setting.
What I'd like to see now
Is some sort of opportunity to be in the general proximity of a neutral Alad V
And if you're wearing the sundered hat, he gets visibly extremely uncomfortable

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Can you put Excal's normal alt skins on umbra? I'd mightily miss my corpus suit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

END ME SCOOB posted:

This would also track with how you can't sort by that polarity yet.

You can, but only on an umbral item.

Which is why I think being able to equip them on normal frames isn't ever going to be a thing. I mean, technically you can, but have fun fitting more than 4-5 mods in

Raptor1033 posted:

Can you put Excal's normal alt skins on umbra? I'd mightily miss my corpus suit.

yes

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nalesh posted:

It's obviously done for balance reasons dude. It's supposed to make the Umbra frames feel powerful but locked into a specific role. It's the same reason you need to use the entire mod set to get your stats as high as possible.

That said having 100% crit chance on valk claws owns, 28 drain be damned.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Truga posted:

You can, but only on an umbral item.

I take back my statement and yeah, that speaks highly to "this is for balance alone".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're very definitely setting it up as being weird set mods and unique polarities for them being the main defining feature of umbras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The Umbra set also has bonus damage and resistance to sentients, which is probably heavy forshadowing they will be coming back in force after their mid war break