Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just had to play Exploding Kittens twice in a row, and I could not politely refuse. So lay the gently caress off me, I'm traumatised. :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

On one hand, at least Exploding Kittens is sure to end in under an hour, instead of the 20 to +200 minute playtime for Munchkin. On the other hand, that's still one hour longer than it needs to be. With that time, you could have finished a game of Keyflower.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So me and my wife are buying a new house and I finally get my own giant room for my gaming. We have been using our dining room table for years but now I get my own for gaming and was wondering if anyone has suggestions? I don’t want to spend a ton of money and would prefer something that would easily move so no giant heavy tables. Searching on the internet returns a ton of definitions for a gaming table.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
IKEA makes some solid wood ones that are perfect size wise. The Stornas is model we have I think. Just under 40 inches wide which is perfect.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

golden bubble posted:

On one hand, at least Exploding Kittens is sure to end in under an hour, instead of the 20 to +200 minute playtime for Munchkin. On the other hand, that's still one hour longer than it needs to be. With that time, you could have finished a game of Keyflower.

Russian roulette ends in under an hour and probably has more strategic depth than Exploding Kittens.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

IKEA makes some solid wood ones that are perfect size wise. The Stornas is model we have I think. Just under 40 inches wide which is perfect.

That’s actually a perfect size, do you go with the chairs pictured or just whatever you could find?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jedit posted:

I just had to play Exploding Kittens twice in a row, and I could not politely refuse. So lay the gently caress off me, I'm traumatised. :emo:

"I have important emails to send out on my phone here for the next however long this game lasts"

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Papes posted:

I’m pretty sure they have nothing to do with the dice tower

They're on the Dice Tower Network. I'm not really familiar with how that works, though. Is it just something where they distribute the podcast but aren't involved with its production?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What are people's thoughts on Sakura Arms? It keeps coming up on So Very Wrong About Games with rave reviews, but a lot of their love comes from things that I don't really value that much in games (primarily customization). Presumably there's more to it than just smashing decks together to see what happens each game though.

e: also I got a copy of Sidereal Confluence, and while I'm not precisely sure when I'll end up teaching it (hopefully next week) any advice on that front is appreciated.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I also have one of the Ikea ones. I have one that can fold out very easily and become a lot larger. I guess in a dedicated gaming room you'd probably just want it max size all the time though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rad Valtar posted:

That’s actually a perfect size, do you go with the chairs pictured or just whatever you could find?

We have the natural colored one and did 2x matching chairs and a matching bench.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rad Valtar posted:

So me and my wife are buying a new house and I finally get my own giant room for my gaming. We have been using our dining room table for years but now I get my own for gaming and was wondering if anyone has suggestions? I don’t want to spend a ton of money and would prefer something that would easily move so no giant heavy tables. Searching on the internet returns a ton of definitions for a gaming table.

If you're at all crafty with your hands, BGG have a whole section of their forums devoted to DIY gaming tables including bloops, tools, and where to get your materials.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Countblanc posted:

What are people's thoughts on Sakura Arms? It keeps coming up on So Very Wrong About Games with rave reviews, but a lot of their love comes from things that I don't really value that much in games (primarily customization). Presumably there's more to it than just smashing decks together to see what happens each game though.

e: also I got a copy of Sidereal Confluence, and while I'm not precisely sure when I'll end up teaching it (hopefully next week) any advice on that front is appreciated.

There is a teaching guide from the designer on bgg.

My general thought: My only comment is that teach people the general rules for how a card is laid out 'cost to buy at the top, cost to upgrade at the bottom, upgrade icon shows what the future production will be, what happens when you run in the middle' or something. The game is pretty straight forward with that sort of scaffolding.

Some thought bubble: Tell people that they are taking the low complexity races. Don't let anyone use the Zeth and probably the Im'drill the first game, Other than maybe saying 'next game there are some other races you can play!' I'm pretty sure you should just put the cards back in the box. People get confused about ships and tend to assume they start with their racial ships. Tell them they don't, or possibly even hide there are racial ships.

If you're teaching the game, playing the unity is a good idea as you can 'fix' stuff subtly. Other than unity cards, nothing is a grey cube, all the cubes you think are grey are white.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 15, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Countblanc posted:

I like Sakura arms. It does some cool stuff with resource management and feels more like a euro fighting game. Also cheap and isn’t a behemoth like Yomi/BaCon. The only real problem I have with it is that I think the trap girl is OP since she has better action economy and works well with anyone. Isn’t a problem if both people have access to a deck but I enjoy playing a single copy with an initial character draft. The promo characters all look like they have similar action economy so probably alleviate the problem but good luck getting them and they’re all in Japanese. There’s been some sort of announcement for an upgrade or v2 though so might want to look into it and wait, but who knows when that’s being released internationally.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Rad Valtar posted:

I made a table topper for $100.

Nice quality and thick 4'x8' wood sheet so there's no warping.
1/4" foam sheet glued down over it.
'Bella velvet' from some website, which I guess is what some highend table companies use, to cover it all.

Then I just put it over my table, and drilled some little blocks of wood up at the corners to hold it tight to the underlying table. I already had an existing counter height table, so this was to save money.

Bought a set of four tv trays to put between players to keep snacks and drinks off the table, and it's really nice. Smooth and nice velvet with a cushioned underlay and a huge playing surface. It's even directly under a light designed for a pool table, so its bright.

(The basement carpet/walls are not my preferred colors. Bought this house a year and a half ago, it came like this)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Are Eurorails and similar "Crayon Rails" games good and fun? My girlfriend told one of her senior colleagues that I get excited about "some train game" (1846) and we've now been invited to come over and play "the train games," which turn out to be these Eurorails and other games with a couple in their 60s and their son.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Are Eurorails and similar "Crayon Rails" games good and fun? My girlfriend told one of her senior colleagues that I get excited about "some train game" (1846) and we've now been invited to come over and play "the train games," which turn out to be these Eurorails and other games with a couple in their 60s and their son.

5 player crayons sounds lengthy; bring an encyclopedia of city facts to help you accurately roleplay your rail tycoon between turns.

Ravendas posted:

(The basement carpet/walls are not my preferred colors. Bought this house a year and a half ago, it came like this)

It looks like you're playing in a giant pool table.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Rutibex isn't! :v:
:colbert:
I have the best taste in games in this entire thread

djfooboo posted:

Ziplocking games is amazing for stuff like RfTG or Dominion.

The best compact way to transport card games are these boxes people use for magic cards:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I'm gonna be in Dublin for 2 days in July.

Are there any Board Game Shops/Cafés worth visiting?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Crossposting from the Netrunner thread. So FFG have printed absolutely gently caress all of the final deluxe expansions (Reign and Reverie), and one hundredth of that gently caress all is Australia bound, so it's basically gone already. Any American folks able to help out?

EDIT: Found a UK supplier. Fingers crossed.

The End fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 15, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The End posted:

Crossposting from the Netrunner thread. So FFG have printed absolutely gently caress all of the final deluxe expansions (Reign and Reverie), and one hundredth of that gently caress all is Australia bound, so it's basically gone already. Any American folks able to help out?

Netrunner is a dead game, just print proxies.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Rutibex posted:

Netrunner is a dead game, just print proxies.

Go write up a complete card list for me then, big boy.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I played an old crayon rail game once and it was sort of fun. The big downside to me was this random event deck which added way too much luck into the game. You will probably have fun planning your routes and optimizing stuff...but realize you can lose because of a random event card draw. It happened to me in the final endgame push where I was neck and neck with a other player for the win, then an event card just gave him the win basically at random.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

The End posted:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrunner-card-spoilers

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrunner-card-spoilers/_/reign-and-reveri/

That's not gone well, has it? Do your homework next time and, y'know, actually check the site?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Not if you are looking for that set :-/

I used that site all the time for the LOTR LCG cause they were always up to date for that one.

I'm dumb.... Sorry bout that.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 15, 2018

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Rad Valtar posted:

Dunno how it compares to Ikea price/personal taste/room size, but buying a bunch of medium size folding tables can let you have a more modular solution where you can put a few together for a bigger game or just a few pairs for multiple smaller games. Buying them all at once ensures they are the same height, and they can fold away for storage if you need the room for something else.

This worked well for my dad, but he’s also a minis gamer so being able to simulate an entire normandy beach and town with 12+ tables, and also be able to host boardgaming nights with 2-3 games was a goal.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
These "crayon rail games" sound neat. What's a nice one to start with? For what it's worth, I lean towards really heavy games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The End posted:

:rolleyes:
wow that took all of 0.12 seconds on google
https://netrunnerdb.com/en/set/rar/text

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Rutibex posted:

I know the wiring is a little loose upstairs, but I hope you can still count.

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/set/rar

See how those numbers on the right don't increment sequentially? That's because it's not a complete list.

Good hustle though. Why don't you use some real Google skills and actually be helpful? Or just get lost with your weird board game theft obsession?

EDIT: Can't forget the rolleyes, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Rutibex posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that doesn't look like a complete card list.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The End posted:

I know the wiring is a little loose upstairs, but I hope you can still count.

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/set/rar

See how those numbers on the right don't increment sequentially? That's because it's not a complete list.

Good hustle though. Why don't you use some real Google skills and actually be helpful? Or just get lost with your weird board game theft obsession?

EDIT: Can't forget the rolleyes, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:shrug:
I donno man I'm sure the complete card list will be posted eventually. Maybe be patient.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Maybe I asked for help with trying to find a copy to buy, while I still can. Because I don't make my own bootlegs out of cereal boxes?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I've got a friend who is legit bummed about the end of Netrunner. Definitely a series I never gave two shits about, perhaps because it was a case of seeing it everywhere and expansions in such large quantities that caused me to short-circuit and get Vietnam-esque flashbacks to MtG.

Got my shipping notice for Founders, should have it by the end of next week.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

FulsomFrank posted:

Got my shipping notice for Founders, should have it by the end of next week.

That's one I wish I had backed. I'll be interested to hear what you think. Any idea if that'll make it to retail?

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Dancer posted:

These "crayon rail games" sound neat. What's a nice one to start with? For what it's worth, I lean towards really heavy games.

If you like heavy games, Iron Dragon is probably the heaviest, although none of them are really very heavy-more lengthy. Some of the other variants can be fun (I like the Martian rails global map), but ID is the one to get if you can only have one and don’t really care about where they’re set.

I have a weak spot for the series, but that’s because I’m a child who likes to draw with crayons. They’re fun, but always play fast game variant and never play with more than four, three ideally.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The End posted:

Maybe I asked for help with trying to find a copy to buy, while I still can. Because I don't make my own bootlegs out of cereal boxes?

Cereal boxes are only good for large game boards or tokens. When making cards it is best to use normal playing cards or junk magic cards in a sleeve. Just print out what you want on normal paper then slip in into the sleeve in front of the ace of spaces.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That's one I wish I had backed. I'll be interested to hear what you think. Any idea if that'll make it to retail?

I'd say so based on this: https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/founders-of-gloomhaven?variant=40866936781

The question is quantity and if its predecessor is any indication of quality who knows what stock issues will be like. If the name recognition tricks the average bear into buying copies you might be seeing a lot of "never opened dropped once" sales though.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dancer posted:

I think all of them are fairly similar. The main differences are the maps, and some of the event cards are going to be different. I would recommend going with whatever region you are most familiar with the geography. So you are familiar with where on the board the delivery destination cities are. Then it is only a matter of scouring the map for where to find the goods.

I think both Empire Builder (North America) and Eurorails (Europe) are good starting points. Europe can get a bit tricky, as there are lots of ferry paths for getting to England, Ireland, and Scandinavia. It’s not a huge deal, it’s just another mechanic to parse, and they can drastically reduce how far your train moves for a couple of turns.

If you do get a crayon rails game, the rule book should have a listing of city locations and goods. Make enough copies for all the players so you are not spending half the time passing the rule book around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Origins Thursday phone impressions:

Nyctophobia: gimmicky hidden movement game where you navigate a board blinded. It's basically someone groping your hand for fifteen minutes as you poke around cheap plastic. Heard red flags like "bad guy wins 70% of the time" and "like a good GM you have to fudge it for fun."

Ghost Court: role playing party game with Richard Sala art and you sue ghosts. Sold.

The Climbers: I heard bad things about this like it taking hours but idk who reviewers are playing with this was a brisk 30 minutes. Ideal abstract, few pieces and rules. Really impressed by quality and play.

Flow of History: game of the con so far. It's like someone heard me complain about Through the Ages and made a game for. Innovation meets TtA from the Ponzi Scheme creator. Unique card buy mechanism where you invest in cards but other players can snipe (paying you) before they mature. Plays 5 in an hour.

Dwarven Smithy: random rear end tableau builder, very messy and fiddly. Plus one point for having the balls to give dwarven women beards.