Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A 'big brother' theme? Because she's looking at some screens? It's a promo shot to stress that this is the eighties. If it were set in the nineties she'd be on a skateboard, with a walkman and a nirvana cd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

It's disturbing.

It can be interesting to talk about - as I mentioned, I have some background in competition law and my current work relates to intellectual property - but getting particularly invested in it one way or the other is a bit dull to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dan Didio posted:

Me, as I slip on my Princess Belle outfit, rip out an infected tooth with a pair of pliers and push past my screaming, starving child: HEy, think about how this would be slightly worse if i'd worked for comcast. buddy.

posts like this don't help the impression that you're just in this to feel smug

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It can be interesting to talk about - as I mentioned, I have some background in competition law and my current work relates to intellectual property - but getting particularly invested in it one way or the other is a bit dull to me.

Brands are a hell of a drug.

Arist posted:

posts like this don't help the impression that you're just in this to feel smug

That would be so much better than how this has made me feel.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 14, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I went to see a movie in Georgetown last night, so I got to see a bunch of stuff they have set up for filming. There was a couple car carriers filled with 80s (and earlier) cars to set up, and they turned an empty storefront into a defunct clothing store. And there was a random phone booth people were taking pictures with. Lots of cranes around, too, and a whole bunch of tractor trailers. It was pretty cool!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

And there was a random phone booth people were taking pictures with.

Because of Superman or because they'd never seen one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Because of Superman or because they'd never seen one

It was mostly younger people, so I assume the latter. We don't have phone booths anymore.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/EWTimStack/status/1006972930121613312
Now it's really the 80's

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the 80's and that means fanny packs, track suits, pictures of JR from Dallas, Coke commercials and National Lampoon movies

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

It's the 80's and that means fanny packs, track suits, pictures of JR from Dallas, Coke commercials and National Lampoon movies

I hope Wonder Woman trades her invisible jet for an invisible Ferrari Daytona and tears through the streets of Miami at night on her way to confront the Cheetah set to "In the Air Tonight".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Steve, I gotta know, the way we used to be together....it was real wasn't it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Many Disneyland employees are paid near minimum wage, and minimum wage sucks, is what I'm seeing. However Disneyland employees are unionised. That's the context of the report you saw, the product of a survey sent to union members collecting evidence to help demand better pay. We'll see how it turns out.

quote:

Comcast has frequently been labeled "the most anti-union" cable operator. Moreover, Comcast tends to hire technicians as independent '1099' contractors to avoid paying benefits, living wages, overtime, and unemployment taxes.

You won't be seeing a similar report for Comcast because Comcast employees don't have collective bargaining power.

EDIT: Actually just recently Disney buckled down to union pressure and proposed to raise wages, though negotiations are still happening.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/03/news/companies/disney-minimum-wage/index.html

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 14, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's Aquakidman.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

shell yeah, it looks good

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
That's a hell of a wallet chain my man Aquaman.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

who is that, Randy Moss?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really wanna know who's responsible for that blurb about Luke Cage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

I really wanna know who's responsible for that blurb about Luke Cage.

A white person

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Someone who didn't watch Black Lightning.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^for real though

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The academic terminology is "woke AF" thanks.

More Aquathings

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrianWilly posted:

More Aquathings

That second to last one looks godawful. I thought it was supposed to be underwater from the lighting, then gave it a second look and figured it was above ground, then looked again and I dunno.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wait, now I have another question. Is that Orm in the 3rd picture? Should he not also be brown?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Probably not, since they have different fathers? Nicole Kidman is mother to both Orm and Arthur, but presumably Orm's Atlantean father is also white, as opposed to the lighthouse-owner who Arthur was born to that we can see in the final pic.

There might actually end up being some kind of interesting racial message here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That second to last one looks godawful. I thought it was supposed to be underwater from the lighting, then gave it a second look and figured it was above ground, then looked again and I dunno.

It's probably going to end up underwater but they haven't CGI'ed things up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BrianWilly posted:

More Aquathings

They look so excited.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's a behind the scenes shot of the set. You can see the director right there.

edit: Also, in Justice League, it's established that Atlantians create air pockets to talk in the water.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 14, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Also, in Justice League, it's established that Atlantians create air pockets to talk in the water.
James Wan has said that they're not gonna do that in his film. "They're just gonna talk!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ah well, I assume it's 99% on dry sets anyway for practical reasons, and they'll animate floaty hair. Can't shoot a whole movie in a pool.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BrianWilly posted:

Probably not, since they have different fathers? Nicole Kidman is mother to both Orm and Arthur, but presumably Orm's Atlantean father is also fishbelly white, as opposed to the lighthouse-owner who Arthur was born to that we can see in the final pic.

There might actually end up being some kind of interesting racial message here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

James Wan has said that they're not gonna do that in his film. "They're just gonna talk!"

Also it's really only established Mera can do that isn't it? She's not a normal Atlantean.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mera's costume is so bland. They got rid of her headdress?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ah well, I assume it's 99% on dry sets anyway for practical reasons, and they'll animate floaty hair. Can't shoot a whole movie in a pool.

if only james cameron hadn’t dropped off the project.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Dan Didio posted:

A 'big brother' theme? Because she's looking at some screens? It's a promo shot to stress that this is the eighties. If it were set in the nineties she'd be on a skateboard, with a walkman and a nirvana cd.

The movie is specifically set in 1984 and the image is not just "some screens", it is clearly evocative of surveillance monitors. Not really a huge logical leap. It would also be a natural follow-up to the war themes of the first movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Mera's costume is so bland. They got rid of her headdress?

Yeah it's way less detailed now for some reason.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cameo from Thomas Wayne. "That was a baby up job Wonder woman! Loved how you used that sword. First thing I'm doing when I get home is taking my family to see Excalibur."

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Chill Penguin posted:

The movie is specifically set in 1984 and the image is not just "some screens", it is clearly evocative of surveillance monitors. Not really a huge logical leap. It would also be a natural follow-up to the war themes of the first movie.

Or it could be an electronics store with a window or department display of multiple TVs like every 80s movie ever, where people stop and look at some news on one of the TVs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah a surveillance wall wouldn't usually be behind glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently during the whole Justice League reshoot kerfluffle the Aquaman team tried to convince WB to just give Superman a beard using some of the examples of the hair tech they were using for Aquaman.

• Locked thread