Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The Before Times posted:

I feel like there's an element of really, really not wanting to blame society and men for violence like this. But y'all, women can do everything they possibly can to stay safe, and they can still get raped and murdered. The 'personal responsibility' line is so sickening because we've heard it so many times before; we keep on trying to be as safe as possible, but this poo poo still happens and it feels like everyone's kinda avoiding the real issue.
Avoiding the issue and blaming victims is the path of least resistance, so I can't say I'm shocked that guys are somewhat unwilling to perhaps examine their involvement in the lovely cultural practices that perpetuate violence against women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

Also, countries who do have an armed force still do have poo poo done to them by other countries, regardless.

Would your point in that instance be that victims need to do better and should have been better prepared in the first place?

No, it's that countries are prepared to defend themselves because they know threats exist and using social means won't eliminate them completely.

I dont think victims need to do better. I do think that convincing people to ignore the procedures that they have individually decided to follow to ensure their own safety could be bad. Especially when its framed as a noble political act.

Edit: you guys are projecting so hard. Nobody is victim blaming or ignoring the role of society here

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 15, 2018

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
nobody is saying not to take precautions to be safe, though. we're saying it's already so obvious, and people already do that, and it's just annoying and insulting when public figures suggest it as though we haven't thought of that already.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The Before Times posted:

nobody is saying not to take precautions to be safe, though. we're saying it's already so obvious, and people already do that, and it's just annoying and insulting when public figures random guys on the internet suggest it as though we haven't thought of that already.
ftfy

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I think the point we're trying to make is that we're not saying no one should take precautions, but rather that no one should HAVE to take precautions.

And even though we do take those precautions, they still don't always work.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
it's sort-of like what happens after a gun massacre in the US. there's all this talk about 'we should give the guns to the good guys' or whatever other genius idea, when really nobody wants to take action on the actual guns or cultural issues that are the problem.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I don't know of a woman alive who isn't keenly aware that she might get raped if she does the "wrong thing". That ABC article mentioned a concept "the right amount of panic" that I'm sorry I can't remember if it's been pointed out here. There's this laundry list of personal precautions we're advised to take such that it's impossible to fulfill all the criteria, and the emotional labour of being so proactive is not insignificant either, so we're always on the wrong side of the right amount of panic.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

gucci bane posted:

Edit: you guys are projecting so hard. Nobody is victim blaming or ignoring the role of society here

Yeah they are, man, there are a big amount of posts about how people don't pay enough attention to the safety tips to not be raped and killed that they've been raised on and internalised and been terrified by and followed, and failed into becoming a victim

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The Before Times posted:

nobody is saying not to take precautions to be safe, though. we're saying it's already so obvious, and people already do that, and it's just annoying and insulting when public figures suggest it as though we haven't thought of that already.

Ok well that is what the article I was quoting before said, if you're not going to read the thread dont reply to it

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

G-Spot Run posted:

I don't know of a woman alive who isn't keenly aware that she might get raped if she does the "wrong thing". That ABC article mentioned a concept "the right amount of panic" that I'm sorry I can't remember if it's been pointed out here. There's this laundry list of personal precautions we're advised to take such that it's impossible to fulfill all the criteria, and the emotional labour of being so proactive is not insignificant either, so we're always on the wrong side of the right amount of panic.

fuckin exactly. not only do we protect ourselves but we protect each other, too.

we go to the bathroom together; we make our friends text us when they get home after a night out; we try to make sure nobody gets into a cab or an uber alone; we watch each other's drinks. heck, I've heard stories of women pretending to know each other in public when one of them is being harrassed by a stranger. I don't think men really get the amount of work we put into trying to keep ourselves and our friends safe.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah they are, man, there are a big amount of posts about how people don't pay enough attention to the safety tips to not be raped and killed that they've been raised on and internalised and been terrified by and followed, and failed into becoming a victim

Quote them

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

gucci bane posted:

Ok well that is what the article I was quoting before said, if you're not going to read the thread dont reply to it

Where in the article is it saying not to take precautions to be safe? unless you're referring to the line at the end where the author decided to walk through a park on the way home. That's her making a personal decision, not telling people not to be careful.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The Before Times posted:

Where in the article is it saying not to take precautions to be safe? unless you're referring to the line at the end where the author decided to walk through a park on the way home. That's her making a personal decision, not telling people not to be careful.

She did not explicitly say others should follow her, and neither did I claim that. She did frame her decision as a feminist political action, which is what is what I actually said was potentially a bad road to go down. It's a typical opinion editorial, it aims to convince others to the authors point of view.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

gucci bane posted:

Quote them

gucci bane posted:

if you're not going to read the thread dont reply to it

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Lol, nice I know you are but what am I reply

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

gucci bane posted:

It's a typical opinion editorial, it aims to convince others to the authors point of view.

That's ... not a nefarious trick dude, that's literally all publically written words

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

gucci bane posted:

She did not explicitly say others should follow her, and neither did I claim that. She did frame her decision as a feminist political action, which is what is what I actually said was potentially a bad road to go down. It's a typical opinion editorial, it aims to convince others to the authors point of view.
You are a wanker.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

gucci bane posted:

If you actually read and look at the structure of the article though, you'd see that she builds up her argument around a) it's not necessary to tell women to take precautions because they already do and b) it's hard to find evidence to suggest that doing all of those things actually does prevent sexual violence.

It's obvious that the bit about her walking home is a frame to the article and isn't meant to persuade people to walk through dark parks alone at night, but instead to introduce and round out the topic she was talking about with a bit of a personal anecdote. It's a bit of flavour, not an argument.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Hahahahahahaha

These fuckin feminist editorials, editorialising feminism. What's their end game??

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

G-Spot Run posted:

Hahahahahahaha

These fuckin feminist editorials, editorialising feminism. What's their end game??

fuckin, using writing techniques to make a point about something

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
In simple terms, what advice would you give to a person on not getting murdered? Are there a few quick pointers you're aware of off the top of your head? You know, the kind of things that are usually mentioned every time someone gets murdered - just in the interests of ensuring the community is taking the appropriate precautions, you understand.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Well, you see, my advice to anyone who's about to be murdered is that they shouldn't get murdered. Hope this helps.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Well, you see, my advice to anyone who's about to be murdered is that they shouldn't get murdered. Hope this helps.

gently caress, why didn't I think of that?!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

Did Jill Meagher's death change anything?
I honestly don't really know if it brought on parole reform or anything

I don't know the exact specifics but there has been, because of Bayley and also a lot of other things like Bourke Street.

But "parole reform" basically means "making it harder for people to get paroled" which is, broadly speaking, a bad thing for society. Bayley was an outlier and parole is a good thing. The last thing you want to do is make it harder for offenders to get parole, because they then a) don't participate in the reformatory programs that are a prerequisite for parole, and b) sometimes serve out their entire sentences and then get dumped on the street with no further oversight, no further help from the criminal justice system into re-integrating into society, and full access to drugs and alcohol.

edit - this is a relevant read/watch from 7.30

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/victorian-prisoners-maxing-out-jail-sentences/7832664

Excerpt:

quote:

JOSIE TAYLOR: New figures from the Adult parole board show maxing out by Victorian criminals is rising fast. In 2012 to 13 160 prisoners who were eligible for parole either knocked it back or were denied. By 2015 that number had more than tripled.

When it emerged that the shocking rape and murder of Melbournian Jill Meagher had been committed by a man on parole, Victoria radically altered the rules governing how and when prisoners could be released.

AIRE FRIEBERG: PROFESSOR: The conditions of parole were made more difficult and the degree of supervision, the intensity of supervision, was increased dramatically.

JOSIE TAYLOR: But the chair of Victoria's sentence advisory council says those well intentioned changes have backfired.

AIRE FRIEBERG: It is much better for the community for people to go out under supervision and then we have the possibility of bringing them back into custody even if they don't commit another offence if they're looking like they're going off the rails it's better to bring them in. If they max out their sentence, that is don't go under supervision, then we have no control of them at all and the risks are therefore greater.

JOSIE TAYLOR: Prisoners in Victoria now must apply for parole and must complete behavioural programs before being eligible. If prisoners breach parole they face criminal charges and a return to gaol.

AIRE FRIEBERG: Because offenders are happy to max out they're not undertaking rehabilitation programs in prison. So one they're not getting supervision when they're released, number two, they're not participating in programs in prison.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 15, 2018

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

I think Australians have had enough of so called experts providing so called expert advice such as this.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

You are a wanker.

no u are

The Before Times posted:

If you actually read and look at the structure of the article though, you'd see that she builds up her argument around a) it's not necessary to tell women to take precautions because they already do and b) it's hard to find evidence to suggest that doing all of those things actually does prevent sexual violence.

It's obvious that the bit about her walking home is a frame to the article and isn't meant to persuade people to walk through dark parks alone at night, but instead to introduce and round out the topic she was talking about with a bit of a personal anecdote. It's a bit of flavour, not an argument.

I agree with all that stuff you think it was communicating. I don't agree with you thinking that is the obvious takeaway from the ending.

She said essentially: I don't know if doing this thing matters. Then said: I didn't do the thing and it was politically good that I didn't do it.

This is just semantic bullshit.

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 15, 2018

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Drink some water and go to bed

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Oftentimes murder can be harder on the woman than the man

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

G-Spot Run posted:

In simple terms, what advice would you give to a person on not getting murdered? Are there a few quick pointers you're aware of off the top of your head? You know, the kind of things that are usually mentioned every time someone gets murdered - just in the interests of ensuring the community is taking the appropriate precautions, you understand.

Look basically be an upper-middle class straight white dude undertaking postgraduate education. It works for me and it’s safe for me walk around whenever, so just do that

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

gucci bane posted:

This is just semantic bullshit.

:vd:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

BB and Fruity did nothing wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Before Times posted:

it's sort-of like what happens after a gun massacre in the US. there's all this talk about 'we should give the guns to the good guys' or whatever other genius idea, when really nobody wants to take action on the actual guns or cultural issues that are the problem.

In a gun massacre, you can blame everything except guns.

In a rape, you can blame everything except men.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
hello.jpg

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
This is all JBPs fault.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Maybe the healing needs to start with this thread.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
good 2 see Larissa Waters coming back

I have seen Andrew Bartlett around uni sometimes though, he has cool earrings

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

good 2 see Larissa Waters coming back

I have seen Andrew Bartlett around uni sometimes though, he has cool earrings

I think their headline is inaccurate - surely Barnaby was the first to return, and Scott Ludlum the first casualty?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Resident Idiot posted:

I think their headline is inaccurate - surely Barnaby was the first to return, and Scott Ludlum the first casualty?

we need a new emoticon of the abc logo spinning away like the lost one, or a "that's the ABC" like the X-COM one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008