Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Welcome to Australian Politics chat for June!

Please don't feed the trolls or encourage eugenics.

What's been happening lately?

Cop frauds

Victoria Police officers fake more than 250,000 roadside breath tests posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-30/victoria-police-record-fake-roadside-breath-tests/9817846

Victoria Police has had $4 million of road safety funding suspended after an investigation revealed officers falsified more than 250,000 roadside breath tests in the state over a five year period.

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) alerted Victoria Police to "anomalies" in preliminary breath testing data last year before a police internal investigation uncovered fake testing was "widespread".

Bank crims

Criminal cartel charges expected to be laid against ANZ, ACCC confirms posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-01/criminal-cartel-charges-expected-to-be-laid-against-anz-accc/9823982

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission says it expects charges to be laid against the ANZ Bank, its Group treasurer and several other companies and individuals over an alleged criminal cartel arrangement.

The ACCC said the charges were expected to be laid by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions in relation to trading in ANZ shares following an ANZ institutional share placement in August 2015.

Pollies answer questions on a whim (or for $150,000)

G-Spot Run posted:

Can whoever is doing June use this as reference to LNP cheers

https://youtu.be/cYSrjnjpzz0

Barnaby's Baaaaaaaaaaaby

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gas thread, ban op.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Please don't feed the trolls or encourage eugenics.

what if we create an enforced breeding system to create a better kind if troll? one that requires less food?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

what if we create an enforced breeding system to create a better kind if troll? one that requires less food?

If it leads to more infrastructure spending for more bridges, I'm in

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't think you're going to be able to compete with the derros at the end of the street

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
These thread OPs have become more and more like this country. Lazy, underwhelming and ugly.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-31/former-labor-senator-joe-bullock-switches-to-liberal-party/9817834

Posted without comment except 'Shoppies'

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

Lazy, underwhelming and ugly.

Please don't sign your posts.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

These thread OPs have become more and more like this country. Lazy, underwhelming and ugly.

You're right the metre would've been better if I'd dropped "question" I'm so so sorry :cripes:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Criminal cartel charges expected to be laid against ANZ, ACCC confirms

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Minimum wage increased by a whole 3.5 per cent!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

One Nation refuses to rubberstamp LNP policy and the party instantly starts collapsing, what a shocker.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Back in highschool we went through 5 chaplains in three years.

The first one was removed because of multiple inappropriate conversations with female students.

The second was removed because he propositioned a grade 10 girl for sexual activities.

Third left on his own accord after a student threatened him with a screwdriver. (We later found out that he’d told the student that his Zimbabwean heritage was sin or something along those lines)

Fourth was an all around creep was told not to film students on multiple occasions

And the fifth was removed during a music lesson after it was found out he had Skyped naked with male students.

I hated religious people after years of terrible private schools but after that I am a very devout atheist 😂

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

JBP posted:

Should have gotten the derros down the street to write it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Back in highschool we went through 5 chaplains in three years.

The first one was removed because of multiple inappropriate conversations with female students.

The second was removed because he propositioned a grade 10 girl for sexual activities.

Third left on his own accord after a student threatened him with a screwdriver. (We later found out that he’d told the student that his Zimbabwean heritage was sin or something along those lines)

Fourth was an all around creep was told not to film students on multiple occasions

And the fifth was removed during a music lesson after it was found out he had Skyped naked with male students.

I hated religious people after years of terrible private schools but after that I am a very devout atheist 😂

look something something a few bad apples a bad chaplain is like a bad father something gas brake honk

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

Minimum wage increased by a whole 3.5 per cent!

This isn't all that bad considering VECCI et al were rolling out the horseshit brigade really hard on CPI. Also think about all the low paid EBAs out there for whom 3.5% plus maybe a .2% or .5% is a decent result considering recent history. I think it might be 5-6 years since there was a 3% or greater increase.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/stephendziedzic/status/1002309417843322880

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

JBP posted:

This isn't all that bad considering VECCI et al were rolling out the horseshit brigade really hard on CPI. Also think about all the low paid EBAs out there for whom 3.5% plus maybe a .2% or .5% is a decent result considering recent history. I think it might be 5-6 years since there was a 3% or greater increase.

oh definitely. I was only being mildly facetious. It's pretty decently above inflation, not as high as I'd like it but it's not an awful result.

I'll be interested to see what my union manages to negotiate in 2019. We're at 3.75% pa increase at the moment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

We get this but no Titanic 2 smdh

The Before Times posted:

oh definitely. I was only being mildly facetious. It's pretty decently above inflation, not as high as I'd like it but it's not an awful result.

I'll be interested to see what my union manages to negotiate in 2019. We're at 3.75% pa increase at the moment.

With any luck negotiations on rates will become slightly easier as a result, but yeah it isn't going to result in a storm of EBA free kicks or massed hand clapping.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thread title sucks

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
While we’re cracking down on GST on low value purchases...

What exactly is the purpose of the Tourist Refund Scheme?

Is it meant to encourage tourism and tourists to make their purchases in Australia? Does it even have a material impact on tourism?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bigis posted:

While we’re cracking down on GST on low value purchases...

What exactly is the purpose of the Tourist Refund Scheme?

Is it meant to encourage tourism and tourists to make their purchases in Australia? Does it even have a material impact on tourism?

We refund the brown ones to their point of origin.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Popular electronic musician and YouTuber Nick Bertke has shared a bizarre rant in which he labels gay people "an abomination".

The Perth-based man, who was born in South Africa and goes by the stage name 'Pogo', is best known for sampling animated Disney films and turning them into electro songs. His music video for "Alice in Wonderland" has been viewed over 20 million times on YouTube.

Bertke uploaded the video last month, telling fans why he chose the name 'F***ttron' for his YouTube channel.

“I’ve always had a very thorough dislike of homosexuals,” he says in the video.

He continues: “I’ve never liked a grown man acting like a 12-year-old girl. I’ve always found that to be quite disgusting. And so I thought to myself, how best can I express to the world that gays are just an abomination?”

“To be a bit more P.C. about it, how can I express to the world that I view gays as an abomination?” he added.

He went on to laugh about the Orlando Pulse massacre.

It's not the first time the Australian has expressed his controversial views, having previously expressed an intense disrespect for women.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/the-haircut-that-threw-a-school-into-crisis-20180529-p4zi4a.html

I still have no idea what the gently caress this is about or why it keeps taking up paper space.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lid posted:

Popular electronic musician and YouTuber Nick Bertke has shared a bizarre rant in which he labels gay people "an abomination".

The Perth-based man, who was born in South Africa and goes by the stage name 'Pogo', is best known for sampling animated Disney films and turning them into electro songs. His music video for "Alice in Wonderland" has been viewed over 20 million times on YouTube.

Bertke uploaded the video last month, telling fans why he chose the name 'F***ttron' for his YouTube channel.

He continues: “I’ve never liked a grown man acting like a 12-year-old girl. I’ve always found that to be quite disgusting. And so I thought to myself, how best can I express to the world that gays are just an abomination?”

“To be a bit more P.C. about it, how can I express to the world that I view gays as an abomination?” he added.

It's not the first time the Australian has expressed his controversial views, having previously expressed an intense disrespect for women.

lovely, i know of his alice in wonderland song and its good. would like to put him on a stake and burn him a bit tho after this

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Lid posted:

The Perth-based man, who was born in South Africa
Enough said.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

Enough said.

I'm surprised he exercised such restraint and tact to be honest.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/the-haircut-that-threw-a-school-into-crisis-20180529-p4zi4a.html

I still have no idea what the gently caress this is about or why it keeps taking up paper space.

90% sure a bunch of their writing and editorial staff are ex-trinity students

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Lid posted:

"To be a bit more P.C. about it, how can I express to the world that I view gays as an abomination?"; he added.

Yep, that's how you be a bit more PC about your opinions. Well done on understanding the concept.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Lid posted:

Awww drat it, I really liked his music. Can we deport him back to South Africa for hate speech?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

True story I have a friend from South Africa that I met living in Perth who used to go on religious missions and is still devout, but he is a good person and speaks ill of no one. It's absolutely hosed up.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

I know the journo who has been covering this and she is thoroughly sick of it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Hollandia posted:

I know the journo who has been covering this and she is thoroughly sick of it.

Can she explain why the gently caress anyone in her area cares? I figured it was the Old Boys network but come the gently caress on.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
When I last spoke to her I think she was similarly lost on why it exploded and why people care, but as a young journo I guess you take what you can get.

I mean, wealthy folks are going to find reasons to be outraged and aggrieved and can keep it going for a long time.

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 1, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

True story I have a friend from South Africa that I met living in Perth who used to go on religious missions and is still devout, but he is a good person and speaks ill of no one. It's absolutely hosed up.

either he’s not south african or he’s hiding that he’s a complete monster. there are no other options

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I bet Julian Assange is really starting to smell by now.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CrazyTolradi posted:

Enough said.

They forgot the part about him being a white South African, which is about as bad as a *whispers* white Australian

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

You Am I posted:

They forgot the part about him being a white South African, which is about as bad as a *whispers* white Australian
White South Africans make us look friendly and inviting.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Meanwhile in One Nation trainwreck news:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jun/01/one-nation-launches-internal-inquiry-into-claims-brian-burston-tried-to-defect

Hanson has expelled Burston, but I can't see Burston leaving the Senate because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cmon Senator Latham :laffo: