Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

i like rose because she's so gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's kinda funny that the first Atelier is far and away the one with the most revealing main chara design.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Gamerofthegame posted:

there's a few steam guides for general move combos, though I remember early on it feeling really sluggish and Bad because you simply don't have those moves yet. playing some smash here with the b button moves coming in once a hour.
It's unfortunately the worst part of the game, but on the flipside getting a guide to set yourself up it becomes pretty rad.

Thanks. I found a Steam combo guide as well as a weapon-enhancement guide, so I'll mess with those tomorrow.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

It's kinda funny that the first Atelier is far and away the one with the most revealing main chara design.

Lydie had to wait until her swimsuit costume was released to have something completely cover her midsection since Marie's costume was her alternate.

or the Everybody's Golf collaboration outfit if on PS4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Caphi posted:

Two years of age and Troy Baker are pretty much the only things that set Yuri apart from being the most generic swept-up-in-a-magical-princess-saving-quest JRPG hero template.

"But he murdered those people" if those nobles had turned into giant monsters or robots or dark wizards or something and had a boss fight no one would bat an eye that Yuri killed them.

I kinda feel like it's a real weak take to say if those people were instead just monsters no one would care.

Like ' Oh man, if Chris and Leon were killing people instead of zombies they'd be on death row!' Like, yeah? That's kinda obvious, imo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RareAcumen posted:

I kinda feel like it's a real weak take to say if those people were instead just monsters no one would care.

Like ' Oh man, if Chris and Leon were killing people instead of zombies they'd be on death row!' Like, yeah? That's kinda obvious, imo.

they should make a resident evil gaiden game where chris and jill and leon &c are just rear end in a top hat raccoon city cops (or world police idk) going on a rampage

everything is tank controls on fixed camera angles because the game is told through the lens of an action news report

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

also let's not forget that the main recurring boss makes himself more and more monstrous with every fight until yuri finally has enough and gives him the patented "stab in gut + kick down very long drop" treatment

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

also let's not forget that the main recurring boss makes himself more and more monstrous with every fight until yuri finally has enough and gives him the patented "stab in gut + kick down very long drop" treatment

Yeah, I don't know what to say about Zagi though. Because on the one hand, huge murderboner and kinda unhinged but I can't say anyone would hold that against him because again, dude just loved murderin' and probably has attacked random people because its been a whole six hours without having killed someone.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like it’s fair in the context of Zesty/Bersy being a thing, where literal monsters are actual people you kill in the former and emphasize with in the latter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The White Dragon posted:

they should make a resident evil gaiden game where chris and jill and leon &c are just rear end in a top hat raccoon city cops (or world police idk) going on a rampage

everything is tank controls on fixed camera angles because the game is told through the lens of an action news report

...You want another Kane and Lynch game?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...You want another Kane and Lynch game?

YES, ABSOLUTELY

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Big RIP.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

who will take care of these adorable puppies now :(

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/atelier/nelke/

There's the official Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists site and Gust is ready to take your money.

https://shop.salburg.com/product/nelke_comboset/hikaku.html

The $440 Super ultimate edition includes 10 alchemist plush toys and 17 posters.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 14, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i beat g.o.d. which was fan translated 2 months ago. grindy but that's what i like

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Relin posted:

i beat g.o.d. which was fan translated 2 months ago. grindy but that's what i like

Tell me more

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it kind of rips off earthbound a lot. you can get passive abilities for your characters by linking the chakras (and access to both sets of spells) at a certain point in the game, which is more innovative than most snes rpgs. the music is composed in part by demon kakka and is forgettable to terrible. all enemies are animated to some extent.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

It has come to my attention that Phantom Dust Remastered is free for Windows 10. Is it worth checking out?

From what I know, it's a cult XBox Action RPG hit where you create decks of cards that spawn in the arena which you collect and then use to combat enemies. Watching videos, it looks a bit stilted, definitely more RPG than Action, and the vids I saw didn't seem to have any movement options, or maybe the players just didn't use them. Looks a little janky, and not sure how it holds up today. I tried looking up video reviews on YouTube but not much was out there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Decks of cards is a lie because it's actually just you pick up powerups in the arena. It's got a tacked on singleplayer mode which you could try I guess but the multiplayer is dead.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

"Tacked on singleplayer" sounds bad so that's a no go from me, thanks!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i heard the windows 10 port was also kind of bad

it's epic cause microsoft hired people to remake the multiplayer, and then killed their entire studio by suddenly asking them to make a full singleplayer campaign without giving them any of the resources to manage it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No, epic is the studio that made jazz jackrabbit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Amppelix posted:

No, epic is the studio that made jazz jackrabbit.

you'll pay for this

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Colonel posted:

you'll pay for this

He can, Jazz Jackrabbit is on GoG now.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

rip the colonel, dead after being brutally owned twice in a row

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

A Sometimes Food posted:

He can, Jazz Jackrabbit is on GoG now.

you got anything left on your wishlist before it ends, punk*

*This is not an offer. This is a failed attempt at playing off a comeback.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

*This is not an offer. This is a failed attempt at playing off a comeback.

because you can't afford to pay for it?????

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

because you can't afford to pay for it?????

yeah...

in retrospect, i did not find a good way to play off of the own without implying that i'd buy someone a game. i'm sorry everyone

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3dkTnb-LR0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_nsZxMXHE

my favorite thing about lost odyssey's soundtrack is that, juding by his love of american music, nobuo uematsu has probably wanted to work with someone like sheena easton his entire goddamn life and his dream finally came true

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm emulating the PSP Growlanser so that I have a fast-forward button and I think the main character might have one of the roughest 6 months I've ever seen in an RPG

- Dad disbands the mercenary company you've been with as long as you can remember
- Dad and Sister get killed by angels and/or bad guys
- Captured by bad guy army
- Blackmailed into joining army
- Implicated in the annihilation of a city
- Drugged by own army and taken to torture dungeon for months
- Escape on ship, get into violent storm, become deathly ill

though I guess the next thing he does is save a city and become a landowner with an art gallery sooo...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

babypolis posted:

rip the colonel, dead after being brutally owned twice in a row

The Colonel posted:

yeah...

in retrospect, i did not find a good way to play off of the own without implying that i'd buy someone a game. i'm sorry everyone

And in the end he owned himself, falling on his sword with the honor of a true soldier :patriot:.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And in the end he owned himself, falling on his sword with the honor of a true soldier :patriot:.

i'm a girl

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Playing through TitS after ToCS1/2 and boy am I excited about the fourth party member I just got.

Edit: and he left goddamnit

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah that's probably the biggest thing that gets spoiled if you play cold steel first

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CubeTheory posted:

Playing through TitS after ToCS1/2 and boy am I excited about the fourth party member I just got.

Edit: and he left goddamnit

Yeah, something to be aware of in the first TitS game is your only core party members are Estelle and Joshua. Anyone else is a guest for the Chapter as they travel around Liberl. TitS: Second Chapter will let you select your party members though.

On the plus side, however, they'll leave their gear and Quartz behind for use in Estelle or Joshua's Orbments when they leave.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I'm playing TitS on Hard and all physical attacks seem pretty garbage so far. Am I missing something or is this a hard thing? I'm up to date on equipment, nothing gives me much xp, and I'm partway through chapter one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
For Sky magic is just better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CubeTheory posted:

I'm playing TitS on Hard and all physical attacks seem pretty garbage so far. Am I missing something or is this a hard thing? I'm up to date on equipment, nothing gives me much xp, and I'm partway through chapter one.

don't play trails in the sky on hard, it's an extra added in the later releases that's designed for new game+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm playing Phantasy Star 4 for the first time but is there any in game documentation on what these skills and techniques do?