Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

I always wanted a mod that just automatically does wires/power distribution for you without taking up whole blocks. Let me set a block somewhere and every power-driven machine in a radius of 16 blocks or whatever gets automatically powered. I've never been good at running space-consuming wires and I don't enjoy dealing with it, so gently caress it, just do power for me. I concede.

Flux Networks is pretty okay for this.

I unironically miss Draconic Evolution when it isn't in a pack, because the energy crystals are really good. Especially the wireless one that you can just tether onto a bunch of different power needing blocks without a wire or anything. Like, it might be worth forking DE and releasing a mod that is just the energy crystals.

There's the wireless RF thinger from XU2 as well, but it doesn't pass much RF/t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

hello, here is the juggletron 4000, do not touch the live wires

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I unironically miss Draconic Evolution when it isn't in a pack, because the energy crystals are really good. Especially the wireless one that you can just tether onto a bunch of different power needing blocks without a wire or anything. Like, it might be worth forking DE and releasing a mod that is just the energy crystals.

There's the wireless RF thinger from XU2 as well, but it doesn't pass much RF/t.

The extra utilities wireless rf is pretty good if you supplement it with some cables (the cables don’t need to be attached to the generator, just the machine being powered). Each block of conduit will receive the full power transmission from the wireless, and shove the power into the machine via its cable-ness

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
In Exoria when you get to Misty World, are there any biomes there that are Normal/Normal? I keep finding Hot/Normal for the most part, but I did find one Normal/Damp biome. Even a Warm/Normal or Cold/Normal would work right now.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

hello, here is the juggletron 4000, do not touch the live wires

This is why I have a hard time with a lot of the modpacks that use immersive engineering as the early phase of tech. It's to aesthetically pleasing to me to be the first thing, only to get replaced quickly by "here's a block that makes power and it's got a red light on the side when it's on."

I like having a gently caress-off giant powerhouse and maintaining substations and stringing lines down my railroad tracks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

In Exoria when you get to Misty World, are there any biomes there that are Normal/Normal? I keep finding Hot/Normal for the most part, but I did find one Normal/Damp biome. Even a Warm/Normal or Cold/Normal would work right now.

Isn't there a habitat locator compass thing that comes with forestry?

e: http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Habitat_Locator did this survive to 1.12?

e2: Also the greenhouse lets you do cheap climate control.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 12, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Isn't there a habitat locator compass thing that comes with forestry?

e: http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Habitat_Locator did this survive to 1.12?

e2: Also the greenhouse lets you do cheap climate control.

Oh right, I can make a greenhouse now. Thanks for reminding me. The locator should be useful until I get around to making the greenhouse.

Edit: HOLY poo poo there's almost no documentation for it in 1.12. I found wiki page for how to set up the multiblock and give it power but I can't get the temperature or humidity to actually change. I even went so far as to put a circuitboard in my humidifier but the humidity is just stuck at 20%.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 13, 2018

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What's the best bet for melting enough fluid crystals quickly enough to keep up with high end condenser production? Just set up as many magma crucibles as possible?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

What's the best bet for melting enough fluid crystals quickly enough to keep up with high end condenser production? Just set up as many magma crucibles as possible?

Upgrade a single magma crucible with the thermal expansion upgrades and install auxiliary coil thingers to increase the processing speed. Additionally, output to a black hole tank, which holds 2^31-1 mB of fluid.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I have come to the conclusion that the greenhouse does not work at all in Exoria. You can give it power and form the multiblock and the enclosure then put all the climate control blocks in the walls then set the temperature/humidity you want, and nothing happens.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm not sure why the greenhouse was even suggested when you can just build industrial apiaries at the same time as regular apiaries.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm not sure why the greenhouse was even suggested when you can just build industrial apiaries at the same time as regular apiaries.

I'm too lazy to boot up Exoria to check, but that can't be true. At a minimum, you need to power industrial apiaries, and you can make regular rear end apiaries as soon as you can make bees in the first place.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Super Jay Mann posted:

SON OF A BITCH I figured that was locked behind a lot of bullshit like how gendustry usually is in custom modpacks. That solves my problem for sure, I can tear down this forestry garbage and use a real man's bee house. But yeah you can make regular apiaries a lot earlier since you can make them out of wood and seed oil, and the seed oil only requires a crucible.

By the way the habitat locator doesn't work either since it looks for where biomes would be if vanilla worldgen were active.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

IIRC there are quests for gendustry, so some of it is locked away. Though, I never bothered with bees beyond making the exoria bee, and once I got like six of the renamed royal jelly and pollen I stopped beeing altogether, so I can't recall for sure. Bees suck.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm too lazy to boot up Exoria to check, but that can't be true. At a minimum, you need to power industrial apiaries, and you can make regular rear end apiaries as soon as you can make bees in the first place.

You can make bee houses, yes, but you need sturdy casings to make apiaries (and industrial apiaries for that matter) and you can't get those without starting power gen since they need circuit boards which need those BC Silicon redstone thingies which need lasers etc etc.

All you need additionally for the industrial apiary is certain metal pieces and I think some Forestry-crafted junk. All the upgrades are even craftable as well.

EDIT - My bad, you only need one carpenter for apiaries but to GET the carpenter you need circuit boards and all that jazz.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 14, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

You can make bee houses, yes, but you need sturdy casings to make apiaries (and industrial apiaries for that matter) and you can't get those without starting power gen since they need circuit boards which need those BC Silicon redstone thingies which need lasers etc etc.

All you need additionally for the industrial apiary is certain metal pieces and I think some Forestry-crafted junk. All the upgrades are even craftable as well.

EDIT - My bad, you need the carpenter for apiaries but to GET the carpenter you need circuit boards and all that jazz.

You don't need the carpenter at all in Exoria for apiaries. There's an alternate recipe where you dunk an AA wood casing in a barrel of seed oil for the impregnated casing. You make seed oil by melting seeds in the sky resources crucible set over fire.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You don't need the carpenter at all in Exoria for apiaries. There's an alternate recipe where you dunk an AA wood casing in a barrel of seed oil for the impregnated casing. You make seed oil by melting seeds in the sky resources crucible set over fire.

Well now I feel like an idiot. I was wondering why the apiary quest was so early if it was gated behind powergen. :sweatdrop:

Oh well doesn't matter anyway, I got my Exoria bee a long time ago and the only reason I even still have it running is to build up honey just in case they make me deal with bees later down the line for something. Or I could be done with them forever, I'd appreciate that too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well now I feel like an idiot. I was wondering why the apiary quest was so early if it was gated behind powergen. :sweatdrop:

Oh well doesn't matter anyway, I got my Exoria bee a long time ago and the only reason I even still have it running is to build up honey just in case they make me deal with bees later down the line for something. Or I could be done with them forever, I'd appreciate that too.

I'm almost done with the second-to-last quest section, and bees haven't been required at all (though I didn't do the optional gendustry quests) so I'm hoping I can slide across the finish line with no further bee-ly pursuits.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm messing with them because they are there. Also some of the later ones seem useful.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

On an unrelated note, holy gently caress is Futurepack a gigantic loving speed bump. I THINK I'm finally finished with it. Maybe. I just now got access to the advanced rocketry section, though I'm not entirely sure what futurepack stuff is needed for the AR intermediate crafting products.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

McFrugal posted:

I'm messing with them because they are there. Also some of the later ones seem useful.

If I really feel like the later bees would be helpful in mitigating grind I want to at least be at the point where I can just make and run with little investment 20 or so industrial apiaries with lifespan upgrades and whatever temperature/humidity settings I need and just brute force what I want as fast as possible. That point is not right now.

Come to think of it pixies might be worth running right now cause their yields are somehow immediately useful to me, though not necessary.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
So I'm going through Exoria myself, slowly making progress while fiddling with walls and matching stone colors and all. It's nice to have a skyblock-y experience that has some actual exploration and dimension diving, and it's also an unusual take on a bunch of mods I'm not super familiar with but uh

Buildcraft is one of those mods I'm not super familiar with? The pipes are pretty easy to handle courtesy of that one person's guide posted earlier (thanks!) but I got to the laser crafting system and uh... does the game actually expect me to build 25 stirling engines and individually manage the heat and activation levels of each of them to power these five lasers??? The internet recommends using combustion engines instead but those seem to require energy sources I don't have access to. Is there a better way or is BC just awful in this pack?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

BlondRobin posted:

Is there a better way or is BC just awful in this pack?

Your astute assessment of BuildCraft is, unfortunately, universal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BlondRobin posted:

So I'm going through Exoria myself, slowly making progress while fiddling with walls and matching stone colors and all. It's nice to have a skyblock-y experience that has some actual exploration and dimension diving, and it's also an unusual take on a bunch of mods I'm not super familiar with but uh

Buildcraft is one of those mods I'm not super familiar with? The pipes are pretty easy to handle courtesy of that one person's guide posted earlier (thanks!) but I got to the laser crafting system and uh... does the game actually expect me to build 25 stirling engines and individually manage the heat and activation levels of each of them to power these five lasers??? The internet recommends using combustion engines instead but those seem to require energy sources I don't have access to. Is there a better way or is BC just awful in this pack?

You don't need to manage the heat levels at all in this version of buildcraft. The only bad thing that happens when there's nowhere for the buildcraft energy to go is you waste fuel. This is a departure from the way things used to be, where engines would explode. Now, they just burn fuel and do nothing. But, yeah, to properly power all five lasers you need 20 stirling engines. You don't have to use all five lasers if you don't want to, it'll just be slower.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I got by with four stirling engines. It's just slower, even if you attach them to all five lasers. Lasers will work fine when given power below their cap, they're more of a glorified energy transmission device than a machine. They send power to the assembly table, and the table does all the work.

You could easily make more engines, they're cheap. I just liked the space efficiency of using four. Also yeah just give them a bunch of charcoal, they'll shut off (and waste a little fuel, no more than like .9 charcoal each) when the job's done.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

If you want to get CRAAAAAZY you can make gates and use them to turn the engines on only when there's work to be done. I never bothered. And, yeah, there's no harm in underpowering the lasers.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Just found out Immersive Engineering Windmills don't produce more power at higher y-levels in 1.12.2.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Perfect, now they can be used effectively and aesthetically at the same time!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Do they produce the same power as the y level 120 ones did? Or do they just not get the boost?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Potsticker posted:

Do they produce the same power as the y level 120 ones did? Or do they just not get the boost?

This is in the Exoria modpack; I think the energy production from windmills may have been nerfed a bit since it's your first real RF generation option. They seem to produce about 6 RF/t? The drain from my industrial apiary (which is around 20rf/t) vastly eclipses the windmill.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 15, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
...is the Mana Fluxfield available in Exoria?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

...is the Mana Fluxfield available in Exoria?

No. You have infinite mana, that would be ludicrously broken.

Also, don't be like me. If you get a Fishy bee and see that Lily Pad requirement, don't go looking for lily pads or vines in Misty World. Just grow a giant jungle tree, it comes with vines you can turn into lily pads.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Is there any way to disable the "unknown error" notifications that keep showing up in the top right corner when something goes wrong? It happens whenever I make terrasteel and the only way to get rid of it is to reload the save file.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Also, don't be like me. If you get a Fishy bee and see that Lily Pad requirement, don't go looking for lily pads or vines in Misty World. Just grow a giant jungle tree, it comes with vines you can turn into lily pads.

Havent loaded this up since playing portal knights and secret world with my son,

but isnt there a conversion via the mana pool to a lilypad? and isnt the conversion block fairly early in the quests?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

McFrugal posted:

This is in the Exoria modpack; I think the energy production from windmills may have been nerfed a bit since it's your first real RF generation option. They seem to produce about 6 RF/t? The drain from my industrial apiary (which is around 20rf/t) vastly eclipses the windmill.

Ah, if it's specific to Exoria I haven't played that. 6rf/t is like, the unimproved windmill at the lowest elevations, which is terrible. In normal IE, even the waterwheel is like 20-30rf/t and you can stick three of those onto one dynamo which gives 60+rf/t depending on your water placement.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Windmills produce 10 RF/t. A windmill with eight sails produces 34 RF/t.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you want to get CRAAAAAZY you can make gates and use them to turn the engines on only when there's work to be done. I never bothered. And, yeah, there's no harm in underpowering the lasers.

Well, uh, I ended up taking this off the cuff comment to heart

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

McFrugal posted:

it was, but got removed in a recent version. i think it was the one that stopped you induction smelting buckets into iron

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Havent loaded this up since playing portal knights and secret world with my son,

but isnt there a conversion via the mana pool to a lilypad? and isnt the conversion block fairly early in the quests?

Yes. You need to get vines to get lilypads, which is why I specifically mentioned the giant jungle tree.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Windmills produce 10 RF/t. A windmill with eight sails produces 34 RF/t.

Sails? Let me guess, you can put the fabric directly onto the windmill now. I should've looked it up in the IE manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McFrugal posted:

Sails? Let me guess, you can put the fabric directly onto the windmill now. I should've looked it up in the IE manual.

Yep. It's actually pretty cool. Don't forget you can colour them, too. Rainbow windmills everywhere.