Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhDearGodNo posted:

Hello new best friend. Speaking of shoulderpads...

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer if you get that working it'll be very cool.

Also if anyone missed the link to TG Discord here it is again: https://discord.gg/pU863q9

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Definitely seems like if there isn't already an assault drill alternative model, there will be one soon - it's a pretty sweet transport.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I want y'all to know that the 40k Secutarii rules are entirely due to our very own Hencoe pitching a fit on facebook last week and infecting a bunch of admech players with his madness.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

LightReaper posted:

Definitely seems like if there isn't already an assault drill alternative model, there will be one soon - it's a pretty sweet transport.

Mantic's Veer-myn tunneler would probably be a good proxy (which luckily I happen to have one of). By the Forgeworld pictures the size looks about right.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Safety Factor posted:

I want y'all to know that the 40k Secutarii rules are entirely due to our very own Hencoe pitching a fit on facebook last week and infecting a bunch of admech players with his madness.

Is it his fault they're terrible

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Also if anyone missed the link to TG Discord here it is again: https://discord.gg/pU863q9

Why are you trying to kill Lowtax.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
No way to just shift everything to a dischord. Needs a main site for fresh blood to sign up on or it stagnates.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

After finishing 40 Intercessors for NOVA seminar peeps, finally going back to my scouts....

Scrapped the custom shotguns for deathwatch ones. Big thanks to the goon who had the idea of using Scion helmets. Added in the Scion backpacks to replace where a normal power pack would go. All arms are magnetized.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If it doesn't suck I might make more and sell them. From what I have seen they take paint well and the build quality is good.

Let me know how it works out and what printer you have, I'm in the market for a printer myself probably in the next few weeks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

Let me know how it works out and what printer you have, I'm in the market for a printer myself probably in the next few weeks.

Anycubic Photon. So far I've been pretty happy. It's around $500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YrUQOYLoK0

The resin does require some care to clean up and handle, but it's nothing major and the one print I made was good. This next one will be a big challenge since it's so large and detailed.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

After finishing 40 Intercessors for NOVA seminar peeps, finally going back to my scouts....

Scrapped the custom shotguns for deathwatch ones. Big thanks to the goon who had the idea of using Scion helmets. Added in the Scion backpacks to replace where a normal power pack would go. All arms are magnetized.

Something about this looks off to me, I can’t put my finger on it. Something about the size and placement of the head on the scale of the body.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anycubic Photon. So far I've been pretty happy. It's around $500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YrUQOYLoK0

The resin does require some care to clean up and handle, but it's nothing major and the one print I made was good. This next one will be a big challenge since it's so large and detailed.

Whoa I had no idea DLP printers were down that low in price. Chalk me up to another very interested party to see how your prints go

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ineptmule posted:

Something about this looks off to me, I can’t put my finger on it. Something about the size and placement of the head on the scale of the body.
Yeah the head looks very tiny in comparison to the model especially with the barrel chest

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ineptmule posted:

The heads are actually the same size as Reiver heads, however both the Scion and Reiver heads are smaller than Mark X helmets. Since taking the pics, I'm boosting the head height a little and it helps. Another contributing thing is the large, flat chest plate. Removing the skull and knives may have contributed- I'll look into putting something there (like grenades) to see if breaking it up helps.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Giant Isopod posted:

Whoa I had no idea DLP printers were down that low in price. Chalk me up to another very interested party to see how your prints go

Yeah it blew me away when I saw it. I assumed that I needed to drop a few grand on a Formlabs Form2, but it looks like the Photon will be able to deliver some really nice (if small) parts. I do a lot of 3D printing professionally so seeing this stuff go from Carbon's $100K machines down to a $500 consumer unit is pretty fascinating. I spent a lot of time looking at a variety of systems and this is the first time I've seen something that looks like it could meet my needs and produce fun parts with a minimum of post processing.

The build is about halfway done. I won't be able to see the final quality until it's over (uncured resin sticks to the model and obscures some of the details), but I'm excited.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Tossed this together real quick... from left to right: Scion head, Reiver bare head, Reiver half-helmet, Intercessor Mk X helmet

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

Tossed this together real quick... from left to right: Scion head, Reiver bare head, Reiver half-helmet, Intercessor Mk X helmet

Next to the others the scion head looks better than I thought, nice.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ineptmule posted:

Next to the others the scion head looks better than I thought, nice.

I think it's the gun in the way. Maybe it's really just the bare chest doing it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

Beer if you get that working it'll be very cool.

Thanks for setting that up. Discord sucks arse for text compared to a forum, or even Slack , but at least it's a fallback.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 15, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it blew me away when I saw it. I assumed that I needed to drop a few grand on a Formlabs Form2, but it looks like the Photon will be able to deliver some really nice (if small) parts. I do a lot of 3D printing professionally so seeing this stuff go from Carbon's $100K machines down to a $500 consumer unit is pretty fascinating. I spent a lot of time looking at a variety of systems and this is the first time I've seen something that looks like it could meet my needs and produce fun parts with a minimum of post processing.

The build is about halfway done. I won't be able to see the final quality until it's over (uncured resin sticks to the model and obscures some of the details), but I'm excited.

What software are you using to create the design?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Last time I looked anything 3D printed had a finished texture roughly equivalent to a handful of sand in lines. What has changed to make it anything close to model quality?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

Last time I looked anything 3D printed had a finished texture roughly equivalent to a handful of sand in lines. What has changed to make it anything close to model quality?

The thickness of layers has decreased by a huge amount lately, and DLP printers with much finer layer heights have become available to more people.

Many of the models you buy have had 3d printing involved at some point in their process.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Short answer: Some completely different methods of printing that don't rely on stacking filament layers are becoming more affordable, so it's less about improvement and more about a completely different way of printing.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The bare chests leave you looking more at the limbs an then everything looks real off. Its less the view of the whole an more the parts.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
There's shops on Shapeways that sell resin-printed bits that are quite good resolution.

I modelled up some custom Helverin cannon bits and ordered them up from a 3D print shop through Treatstock. Was like $12 for 6 gatling barrels in resin which was quite a bit cheaper than Shapeways. Will be interesting to see how they come out.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If it doesn't suck I might make more and sell them. From what I have seen they take paint well and the build quality is good.

Completely serious; if you start printing and selling things, I would be totally interested in buying some stuff / comissioning some custom bitz. I'm in Annapolis, which I believe is close to you.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The most common method of 3D printing is material extrusion; that's what you see with things like Makerbots and even most large scale machines. Direct Light Projection (DLP) uses a high intensity light to project UV light through a dynamic mask (LCD screen) and selectively cure each layer. Since the resin is liquid and the method is light-based you can get much finer resolution. The best layer thickness I've seen on an extrusion printer is around 127 microns (0.005"). The unit currently printing in my garage is set to 10 microns. Since each layer is cured all at once you get afford to play a bit more with overhangs, and there's no internal porosity associated with an extrude cylinder of plastic.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Completely serious; if you start printing and selling things, I would be totally interested in buying some stuff / comissioning some custom bitz. I'm in Annapolis, which I believe is close to you.

Yeah I'm in Waldorf so that's totally doable. I can't promise anything in terms of schedule or competence, but depending on what you're looking for it might be fun.

darnon posted:

There's shops on Shapeways that sell resin-printed bits that are quite good resolution.

I modelled up some custom Helverin cannon bits and ordered them up from a 3D print shop through Treatstock. Was like $12 for 6 gatling barrels in resin which was quite a bit cheaper than Shapeways. Will be interesting to see how they come out.

Shapeways has the advantage of integrating the production with the data repository. They can use industrial grade machines specifically tailored for each requirement, have giant post-processing capabilities, and already have the model integrated. If you have the model yourself then it depends on what the job shop can produce. A simple Formlabs Form 2 costs $3500 and can make some absolutely gorgeous parts.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

For_Great_Justice posted:

The bare chests leave you looking more at the limbs an then everything looks real off. Its less the view of the whole an more the parts.

Yeah I agree with this. The absence of the aquila just leaves a big flat area that makes the models seem disjointed. It might look different when they're painted though, I dunno.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

For_Great_Justice posted:

No way to just shift everything to a dischord. Needs a main site for fresh blood to sign up on or it stagnates.

Can we just make our own non-lovely subreddit

Seriously though I do not want this forum to disappear. It's the only bearable place to discuss this dumb hobby

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Seriously though I do not want this forum to disappear. It's the only bearable place to discuss this dumb hobby

No, because anyone can post on reddit so we'd have to actually spend effort moderating, vs discord where we people first need to find the link and then if we don't like them we can just ban them

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I agree with this. The absence of the aquila just leaves a big flat area that makes the models seem disjointed. It might look different when they're painted though, I dunno.

Can you get some unification era style lightning bolts on one side? Rgose were a terrain legionary thing.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Corrode posted:

If this place actually disappears, we may need a BadCast BadForum.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Shapeways has the advantage of integrating the production with the data repository. They can use industrial grade machines specifically tailored for each requirement, have giant post-processing capabilities, and already have the model integrated. If you have the model yourself then it depends on what the job shop can produce. A simple Formlabs Form 2 costs $3500 and can make some absolutely gorgeous parts.

I've had huge problems with shapeways hi-res stuff. They use a wax based support material, and where it touches the model, the detail disappears in a grainy mess. The underside of everything basically looks like crap. I'm thinking of slicing everything in half, but I can see myself ending up with a printer like yours. I'm extremely envious and can't wait to see what you produce with it.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 15, 2018

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Quote is (still) not edit.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I donated ten :10bux: to keep this dead gay forum running for a bit longer.

Booley posted:

No, because anyone can post on reddit so we'd have to actually spend effort moderating, vs discord where we people first need to find the link and then if we don't like them we can just ban them
I think you can make invite-only subreddits, but I'm not sure.

Reddit's layout is loving awful in any case.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I like you guys, but I don't know that I like you well enough to read reddit for you.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LightReaper posted:

Mantic has one for their space skaven I think?

E: Goddamnit.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The byob 40k thread is fantastic.

It's just ridiculous 40k art and then pages of ironic internet commentary on it.

Liked and Subscribed.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

LightReaper posted:

This is the one case where the Mantic model is actually better than the GW alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Booley posted:

You could make it private and only allow SA people.