Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah absolutism would actually be a decent mechanic if it was entirely event based (or at least didn't have trivially repeatable actions which give absolutism) and was something you gradually built up over hundreds of years instead of what we have now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That would be a ton better, now you mention it. Something like how Orthodox used to work, with short term benefits vs longer term payoff with getting more Absolutism.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There probably ought to be some downside to having high autonomy, other than not being able to use the buttons that decrease it. Or maybe some bonuses for low autonomy to make republics not terrible.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

absolutism should dovetail with estates

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

There probably ought to be some downside to having high autonomy, other than not being able to use the buttons that decrease it. Or maybe some bonuses for low autonomy to make republics not terrible.

You mean besides the effect on money and manpower?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

oddium posted:

They really should be diametrically opposed to each other. You can use absolutism to directly administer stuff or estates to "indirectly" administer it, each with a set of advantages and disadvantages, but over-utilizing one is very much to the detriment of the other, since estates won't like you infringing on their rights, but by giving in to them you weaken your own authority (i.e. absolutism). I'd especially like it that way since then minmaxy people would have to choose between one or the other and wouldn't be able to get all the bonuses from both.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Senor Dog posted:

Except if you throw your provinces into estates, autonomy is ignored for a third of those things.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like to give the nobility cows to look after

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

I meant absolutism, not autonomy :hurr:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

oddium posted:

Yup.

Whole lotta poo poo that needs to be rethought and unified in EU5.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Rome 2 is basically EU5.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oddium posted:

i like to give the nobility cows to look after

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Rome 2 is basically EU5.

eu5 or CK2.5? I'm under the impression that it's more of the latter, am I wrong?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gamerofthegame posted:

Rome 2 is basically EU5.

So Rome 2 is basically the March of the Eagles/Sengoku of the next generation of Paradox games? :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

double nine posted:

eu5 or CK2.5? I'm under the impression that it's more of the latter, am I wrong?

Neither, it’s literally EU Rome 2.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

AnoHito posted:

Harsh Treatment/Strengthen Government are my usual way if I'm out of states like that. It takes a ton of mil points, but you can usually get enough if you focus down on them hard enough, and it's generally worth it in my experience. The yearly absolutism age bonus also helps, as does the cheaper harsh treatment age bonus.

Also, don't you get extra states from admin tech? Those should let you reduce autonomy pretty easily.

You also get cheaper harsh treatment from the generic "conquer new states" mission. Saving that reward till absolutism kicks in and combining it with the age bonus gives you really cheap absolutism. I think my cheapest harsh treatment cost was 5 military points when I tried.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

double nine posted:

Johan has said CK2 is a character focused game while Imperator is a map painter game (specifically compared to EU) that has characters in.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drat, I only have 53 hours left with this game and I'm already feeling the itch again.

Really tempted to either go for Venice or setting up an Eastern European explosion and have a nice thunderdome as a smaller country there.

Oh, and I kinda wished that any bonus which provides legitimacy would also provide republican tradition, horde unity and so on. Maybe just at half the equivalent. It sucks when your country has +1 legitimacy as a national idea and as soon as you change government it just becomes empty and does nothing. I get why of course but my unprofessional and probably terrible opinion is that it would be more fun.

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 17, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Drat, I only have 53 hours left with this game and I'm already feeling the itch again.

Really tempted to either go for Venice or setting up an Eastern European explosion and have a nice thunderdome as a smaller country there.

Oh, and I kinda wished that any bonus which provides legitimacy would also provide republican tradition, horde unity and so on. Maybe just at half the equivalent. It sucks when your country has +1 legitimacy as a national idea and as soon as you change government it just becomes empty and does nothing. I get why of course but my unprofessional and probably terrible opinion is that it would be more fun.

Some of those ideas do work that way which makes it extra annoying when you get ones that randomly don't.

Unrelated but drat I wish that there were more choices for small Orthodox starts which don't have you next to a loving superpower. You pretty much have to choose between Byzantium, the Balkans, Russian minors, or the Caucasus, and they're all completely hosed.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 17, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Create a custom nation!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Create a custom nation!

Custom nations inevitably make me feel like I'm breaking the game, no matter how hard I try to hold myself back. I guess a 50 point start would be fairly lovely no matter how you cut it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can also create a custom Orthodox nation that’s a carbon copy of an existing nation, like you can grab every Pomeranian province and copy their idea set and leader stats and voilà, you’re an Orthodox Pomerania.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:smug:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Anyone else have to restart Ironman games a lot because you forget that you actually have to demand independence from an overlord in the peace deal?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't ironman but I do forget that. Reloading is not as painful. :v:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just Ctrl-Alt-Del to unfuck my fuckups

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
First Scotland game since Rule Britannia.

Started with aggressively taking all of Ireland. With French help after 3 wars, I had all of England. Started to eat away at Denmark, then pushed into Germany. Got PU Castile and got a lot of colonial land. The Ottomans were up to the current day German border. I started 3 wars with them in the last 50 years and took a buncha land.

Uziduke fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 19, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Anyone else have to restart Ironman games a lot because you forget that you actually have to demand independence from an overlord in the peace deal?

No.

Yes

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I have a bug where whenever my real good heir goes hunting the game crashes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

* Sorrow overtakes you.
* Oh well..

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah so do I, but also when I forget to stop my estates from taking over. Weird.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I get these weird CTDs whenever I accidentally sign a peace treaty with the enemy war leader instead of the separate peace I was planning.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Back when Humiliate Rival wasn’t placed at the bottom of the CB list and very easy to use on accident, entire save games would just disappear from my hard drive whenever I opened up the peace screen at the end of the war

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jay Rust posted:

Back when Humiliate Rival wasn’t placed at the bottom of the CB list and very easy to use on accident, entire save games would just disappear from my hard drive whenever I opened up the peace screen at the end of the war

Ugh. Trigger warning please.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Merchant republics are kinda eh... Sure the money is nice but the lack of extra monarch power and manpower kinda hurts.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Playing Ottomans in 1740. Any idea why UK shows up as joining against me if I try to attack European countries? UK is allied to me and not the countries I'm looking to attack. Yes I know, NAPA...

e: imperialism cb

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Flavius Aetass posted:

Playing Ottomans in 1740. Any idea why UK shows up as joining against me if I try to attack European countries? UK is allied to me and not the countries I'm looking to attack. Yes I know, NAPA...

Defender of the faith?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

skasion posted:

Defender of the faith?

You know, I didn't even consider that they would be catholic. I'll check.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Poil posted:

Merchant republics are kinda eh... Sure the money is nice but the lack of extra monarch power and manpower kinda hurts.

There a lot of reasons merchant republics kinda suck, including the province cap, lack of estates, with abdication/disinheriting they no longer have an MP advantage over monarchies, low absolutism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

There a lot of reasons merchant republics kinda suck, including the province cap, lack of estates, with abdication/disinheriting they no longer have an MP advantage over monarchies, low absolutism.
Yeah, but at least the choice of the two first idea groups was easy: plutocratic and influenza. Goodbye merchant and hello oligarchy.

Having the provinces you need to form another country glow is really great. So convenient. :toot:

Poil fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 20, 2018