Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

I got approved for an apartment today, at an actual complex! Around 4 years ago, I had a 410 credit score with roughly 20k in debt and anywhere that I tried to get approval at would pretty much deny me same day. I never post in here but I lurk a lot and have got a lot of great information over the years. My credit score has shot up to just under 700 and my debt is almost entirely gone or on a good payment plan that is helping me raise my credit. I’m so excited

:unsmith: That’s awesome! Enjoy it and keep up the progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

I got approved for an apartment today, at an actual complex! Around 4 years ago, I had a 410 credit score with roughly 20k in debt and anywhere that I tried to get approval at would pretty much deny me same day. I never post in here but I lurk a lot and have got a lot of great information over the years. My credit score has shot up to just under 700 and my debt is almost entirely gone or on a good payment plan that is helping me raise my credit. I’m so excited

Way to go, Kash!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Got my own:

Just paid off my last tuition payment for my masters after getting my reimbursement through work for last semester. Once I finish in June, I’ll have a $0 debt Masters and still have one more reimbursement coming at the end which will be around $3k I can drop straight into my savings account.

On track to pay off this dumb $7k personal loan we took out through USAA last year for some home improvement we did. Last payment will be next month which is exactly 1 year after taking it out and 3 years ahead of the payment term. Then I’m planning on snowballing those extra payments into my wife’s car loan to pay that off a year early.

Goal is to only have the mortgage by the end of the year and it’s goin on pace. :dance:

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Not having any student debt anymore must be an amazing feeling. Congrats, dude.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

This isn't really an incremental improvement but a facebook memory popped up that really showed me how much things have changed.

2010 - graduated college with a B.S. in Psychology and started a lovely job in the mental health field in a state-run facility
2011 - laid off due to state budget cuts and got a slightly better, but still lovely job in a private/public mix mental health organization
2012 - pivoted into I/O Psychology and started graduate school
2014 - graduated and got a job in market research in D.C. and relocated to NYC later that year
2015 - realized I was hemorrhaging money because I didn't know how to budget and NYC is stupidly expensive and started using YNAB (my net worth is abysmal)
2016 - started working in the I/O field as a consultant for a firm with a large jump in pay/bonus and getting my finances in order
2017 - moved to much cheaper Chicago, have a handle on my finances, and have a positive net worth for the first time (according to YNAB)
2018 - promoted to senior consultant making more than 6x what I was making out of college, maxing my 401(k) with an additional 7% employer contributions, and on track to buy my first home around the summer of 2019

It can get better folks and the forums definitely helped me get on track with budgeting and really changing my mindset around my finances and retirement!

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 12, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice job.

Going from (guessing here) 25-30K to 150-200K in 8 years is really impressive.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Congratulations on your financial glow up!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

spwrozek posted:

Nice job.

Going from (guessing here) 25-30K to 150-200K in 8 years is really impressive.

Started a little lower (21K). It was a really terrible job AND in Florida.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congratulations on your financial glow up!

Thanks! It feels good to be able to save and live rather than one or the other!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Still pretty awesome job!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Manager wanted to give me a 5% raise, managed to talk her up to putting in for 8%. Still has to be signed off on by regional manager, but he likes me so I'm not too worried about it.

edit: Approved!

BAE OF PIGS fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 27, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Manager wanted to give me a 5% raise, managed to talk her up to putting in for 8%. Still has to be signed off on by regional manager, but he likes me so I'm not too worried about it.

edit: Approved!

Nice. Congrats!

I’m still poor.

But closing 3 big projects over the next few weeks and then I’m gonna ask for an 8% raise.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
8% raises being asked for? I like what everyone is doing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Last year when I graduated from my University (with a 3.6 GPA majoring in political science/economics), I managed to do so without having ever paid a single loan! Turns out, I had stayed with my parents, decided not to seek a drivers license, a car, and/or the insurance sink holes that would've caused, and I paid off my tuition with my grandmother's inheritance. So I remain debt free.

Today I had a phone meeting with the VP of TD Bank's American chain regarding analytical employment, and he's planning on having me interview the head of the economics dept for a potential-experimental economist position (the first one in the US) - with other analytical positions possible besides that.

davmillar
May 22, 2012

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Gravy Boat 2k
Just deposited a check from my publisher for my latest puzzle book for $1250 and immediately threw it at a credit card that needed a kick in the rear end.

Also just found out I won the early-bird raffle at my apartment complex and get $100 off next month's rent.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My wife just got a 20% raise while remaining hourly (and thus overtime-eligible) at her job after arguing her merits with management (and explaining she's willing to walk away) for the past couple months.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I finally got around to collecting my payslips in one location and put the data into Excel, so I can get a better view (and forecast?) than napkin math from the last two or three that I remember. Turns out I'm slightly poorer than I realised (short story - I didn't think about income tax meaning that I don't get paid twice as much when I work both weeks in a fortnight), which sucks, though it's not significant enough for me to have to do anything about it.

On the other hand I hadn't realised how much higher my wage is compared to when I started last January, so that was nice. And I feel a lot more prepared for tax time in a few months - even though I live in Australia so it's pretty trivial anyway, at least I understand where the numbers are coming from.

Edit: on rereading, I'm not boasting about having so much money that I don't notice when I get a raise, I just forgot how low my initial wage was before I got the job permanently.

uvar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 21, 2018

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting a little from the corporate thread, but I finally got a long awaited promotion made official and it came with a 25% raise. I'm blown away that management went to bat for me on this one and now I need to avoid lifestyle creep which is hard.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Higgy posted:

Crossposting a little from the corporate thread, but I finally got a long awaited promotion made official and it came with a 25% raise. I'm blown away that management went to bat for me on this one and now I need to avoid lifestyle creep which is hard.

Congratulations! Isn't that a good feeling?

One way to avoid it is to crank your 401k savings rate if you don't max it out every year.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Higgy posted:

Budget Your Income!

The only way I got out of the lifestyle creep cycle (and rewound some previous creep) was to start budgeting my income. I baselined on previous spending and then made sure to put additional income in retirement vehicles or my brokerage account. I found budgeting extremely helpful to consistently put money away, that way I knew that I could sock it away in something less liquid without worrying about it being unavailable and needing it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I have a couple of tranches to avoid lifestyle creep. The first is to "pay myself first." I take the highest possible deductions from my paychecks into my investment retirement accounts. Once the money actually shows up, I budget every dollar. I keep discretionary categories as low as possible and I keep my "surplus" balanced to $0.00 by withdrawing the extra to a line item called retirement savings. We buy securities or ETFs as often as possible to avoid the temptation to pull money out of that pool.

Sometimes expenses really do go up, but then it's a discussion between my wife and I. If we have expenses we know will be increasing we try to be creative about ways to pay for it - like increasing flex spending deductions for childcare (mitigating some portion of the increased cost for more childcare) or by negotiating for increased compensation at work.

Life really will gradually get more expensive, but try to decide what your spending should be rather than having your spending dictate itself.

edit: and sincere congratulations Higgy :unsmith:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm poor, did not receive an offer for my latest interview, did not recieve a raise this year, and everything is awful.

But I'm cooking more and eating out less. So yay.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had a really good review at work yesterday and received a small bump in pay (only 2% which is what everybody got) but with how much I make it's like an extra 1,600 a year. I did make them give me a pretty big raise last year about this time when I got an offer from another company, took it to my boss and got about 7k a year more and another week of vacation, so I'm pretty happy.

Now if I could just stop buying stupid things and put more into savings...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

CornHolio posted:

I had a really good review at work yesterday and received a small bump in pay (only 2% which is what everybody got) but with how much I make it's like an extra 1,600 a year.
Isn't that just barely keeping pace with inflation, i.e. an effective 0% raise?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ralith posted:

Isn't that just barely keeping pace with inflation, i.e. an effective 0% raise?

Yeah but combined with the one I forced earlier, I'm OK with it. I'd obviously like more but I got what I expected and what everybody else received.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The average raise at my current company was 2% last year, and not everyone got one. CoL in the Denver area went up by 3.5%.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The average raise at my current company was 2% last year, and not everyone got one. CoL in the Denver area went up by 3.5%.

Cost of living in a smallish town in the midwest went up by two percent so at least I'm keeping up?

What does kind of suck though is that our reviews were due April 1st, and we're just getting them this week - we're going to get our pay increase from then until early July all at once but it's effectively giving the company an interest free loan for three months. Whatever, more money is money money I guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Our target based on how we did was 2.75% in February during the raise allocation. Some did better, others worse.

I was looking around the net on COL and have a question that I can't seem to find an answer. They figure out all the prices and then build the index. All the US = 100, say Denver is 105, it is 5% more expensive to live here. Easy enough to understand. What is 100 though? $30K? $40K? $60K?

Say it is $40K and COL goes up by 3.5% as you note, so now it is $41,400 that you need. So now you get a 2% raise, if you are maxing $40K, you are not keeping up. What about if you are making $80K? the 2% gets you $1600 which gets you $200 more than the COL going up.

So what does 100 equal? Or does that not even matter?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Our target based on how we did was 2.75% in February during the raise allocation. Some did better, others worse.

I was looking around the net on COL and have a question that I can't seem to find an answer. They figure out all the prices and then build the index. All the US = 100, say Denver is 105, it is 5% more expensive to live here. Easy enough to understand. What is 100 though? $30K? $40K? $60K?

Say it is $40K and COL goes up by 3.5% as you note, so now it is $41,400 that you need. So now you get a 2% raise, if you are maxing $40K, you are not keeping up. What about if you are making $80K? the 2% gets you $1600 which gets you $200 more than the COL going up.

So what does 100 equal? Or does that not even matter?

It's wealth inequality in a number. The people making more need more money obviously. 100 is a relative cost of living at your level of luxury.

Also unless you literally see the pay numbers then there are likely people getting raises / bonuses that are not on that scale.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
In December I completed community college at age 31 with an Associates of Applied Science in Healthcare Management. The next day I started at a well-regarded, private mental/behavioral health group practice with about a dozen clinicians and 3-4 admin staff. Just 30 hrs/wk to begin, but after 2 months I got moved to full-time with salary and benefits (not a great package tbh, but it's a small place), and 3 months after that I got 13% raise. On Friday - exactly 6 months after I started - the office manager informed me that she was demoting herself to a part-time position and naming me Administrative Lead (with raise to be discussed Monday).
I'm going to write a thank-you letter to my college - I really can't emphasize how on-point the curriculum was for this kind of setting.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Flambeau posted:

In December I completed community college at age 31 with an Associates of Applied Science in Healthcare Management. The next day I started at a well-regarded, private mental/behavioral health group practice with about a dozen clinicians and 3-4 admin staff. Just 30 hrs/wk to begin, but after 2 months I got moved to full-time with salary and benefits (not a great package tbh, but it's a small place), and 3 months after that I got 13% raise. On Friday - exactly 6 months after I started - the office manager informed me that she was demoting herself to a part-time position and naming me Administrative Lead (with raise to be discussed Monday).
I'm going to write a thank-you letter to my college - I really can't emphasize how on-point the curriculum was for this kind of setting.

Congrats! It’s nice to hear a success story about education since we hear plenty of failures. I’m sure you also put in a lot of hard work and those promotions reflect well on you as much as your school.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Flambeau posted:

Nice job! sounds like you have been working hard. Great to see it pay off!

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I don't know what the US equivalent is, but I've started salary sacrificing, putting a bit extra into my superannuation each payslip - extra helpful because the accounts from previous jobs got drained by stupid fees while I was unemployed so I'm way behind where I should probably be. It feels like one of those dumb tricks to make money when you already have money (because of way it's taxed, every $1.50 I put in only decreases my take-home pay by $1). And I started looking into more productive uses of my savings than just beating inflation in a bank account, though I'm not going to do anything until after the new financial year - two more weeks of missed opportunity is a small price to pay for easier taxes.

Not having to worry about the small things is great. I'm still far from rich but takeaway pizza only induces guilt about my waistline now.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Paid off my car this month. Feels good. Gonna re-allocate that $600/mo into our mortgage.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Maxed out my brand new Roth for the year, and upped my 401k withdrawal so that it should max it out by the end of the year.

Downside is that makes me concerned about having enough to continue to grow my e-fund or failing to curb expenses enough that I start spending more then I should.

I am also in the midst of a promotion and depending on when it hits and how much it is I might hit income limits for Roth, I am already on the edge but maxing my 401k to come in just under the limit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

overdesigned posted:

Paid off my car this month. Feels good. Gonna re-allocate that $600/mo into our mortgage.

:toot:

freeasinbeer posted:

Maxed out my brand new Roth for the year, and upped my 401k withdrawal so that it should max it out by the end of the year.

Downside is that makes me concerned about having enough to continue to grow my e-fund or failing to curb expenses enough that I start spending more then I should.

I am also in the midst of a promotion and depending on when it hits and how much it is I might hit income limits for Roth, I am already on the edge but maxing my 401k to come in just under the limit.

Don't undershoot your 401k. Your plan administrator will cap you out automatically at the limit. =Roundup(salary/limit,0) in a spreadsheet. Since it's midyear put in how much is left of each, skip forward one paycheck to make sure you cap it out.

Good luck on your raise!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
since my wife is a student we moved both our spotify premium account and amazon prime account to her name saving like, i dunno, eighty bucks a year

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

since my wife is a student we moved both our spotify premium account and amazon prime account to her name saving like, i dunno, eighty bucks a year

$80 is $80!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah I just got a 2.75% raise and I live in one of the most rapidly increasing CoL metro areas in the States.

More money please.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Flambeau posted:

This is awesome, congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

freeasinbeer posted:

If you are close to hitting the ROTH phase out what are you spending all that money on that you don't think you can grow your efund... holy buckets.

I mean good job and all but that just blows me away.