Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

could Luigi's duck avoid projectiles before?

Oxyclean posted:

They had a 3DS demo for Smash 4 and I think they even said on Treehouse they might put out the E3 demo.

given the roster that they had just for the demo, that would be crazy. A demo with Mewtwo, Ridley, Inkling is nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

given the roster that they had just for the demo, that would be crazy. A demo with Mewtwo, Ridley, Inkling is nuts

Yeah, thinking about it now, maybe they mean in a kiosk/demo station capacity like they had for the last Smash?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

yes. in tournament sets luigis will go up towards Fox while crouching to duck under his lasers.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ganondorf in ultimate looks fuckin tight as hell

https://twitter.com/narcissawright/status/1007436440530087936?s=21

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/casi_lizard/status/1007669959613386757

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1007653991671447552

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ganondorf has had a long goddamn road since being a very lame Melee clone. better qualities for each special move, long range smashes with a sword, and going from a beefed up dad bod to the ripped motherfucker he is now. He got better and better with each iteration. The balances right now look extremely good in terms of nerfing crazy poo poo and buffing the lower-end people like Mewtwo/Ganondorf

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

Ganondorf has had a long goddamn road since being a very lame Melee clone. better qualities for each special move, long range smashes with a sword, and going from a beefed up dad bod to the ripped motherfucker he is now. He got better and better with each iteration. The balances right now look extremely good in terms of nerfing crazy poo poo and buffing the lower-end people like Mewtwo/Ganondorf

mewtwo is one of the best characters in smash 4, but that was after buffs. im hoping he gets nerfed in this new game, hes obnoxious

being able to tilt out of dash is going to make him insane though

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hope they make every character obnoxious so people can't ever complain again

that being said

https://imgur.com/lH3XD3E

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that veterans E3 video makes Ganon look crazy strong but the buffs to Link are great too. Boomerang and sword beam have really great range and the downstab recovery is much faster. Game on the whole seems quicker and more oriented to offensive play. Seeing Zero take someone like Mario to the finals was encouraging; maybe the majority of the roster is actually tourney viable now if they nerf 2 or 3 of the more batshit people like Bayonetta (which I'm sure Sakurai saw)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

that veterans E3 video makes Ganon look crazy strong but the buffs to Link are great too. Boomerang and sword beam have really great range and the downstab recovery is much faster. Game on the whole seems quicker and more oriented to offensive play. Seeing Zero take someone like Mario to the finals was encouraging; maybe the majority of the roster is actually tourney viable now if they nerf 2 or 3 of the more batshit people like Bayonetta (which I'm sure Sakurai saw)

Really glad to hear Link is strong this time around. I love his BotW design and I'm going to want to play as him and remote bomb people all day.

As for Bayonetta, someone on Twitter noted that Sakurai saw some of the bullshit players did with her and was seen shaking his head, so he's definitely aware there's more nerfing to do.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
computer, enhance

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

IronicDongz posted:

computer, enhance

Knowing Nintendo, this is definitely intentional.

I’m so excited to play as Daisy. I’m so excited to play as everyone.:eyepop:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Ganondorf has had a long goddamn road since being a very lame Melee clone.

ganondorgf wwas one of my favoritre characters to play in melee :mad:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yea he's a great melee clone and has been worse in every iteration till now

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

ganondorgf wwas one of my favoritre characters to play in melee :mad:

there were a lot of bad characters in Melee. I loved playing Bowser who was also really loving bad in Melee so in Smash 4 seeing him get much better was a joy.

Seeing people say this is a big step forward into Melee sensibility but keeping with the balance of Smash4 is interesting since it's feeling like a big Melee reclamation project, i.e. Ice Climbers returns, Ganon/Mewtwo/Dr. Mario/Zelda getting significant changes, bringing back Pichu

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

there were a lot of bad characters in Melee.

Ness :negative:

I still play him and Lucas all the time because I love those little dudes

DLC Inc posted:

Seeing people say this is a big step forward into Melee sensibility but keeping with the balance of Smash4 is interesting since it's feeling like a big Melee reclamation project, i.e. Ice Climbers returns, Ganon/Mewtwo/Dr. Mario/Zelda getting significant changes, bringing back Pichu

Some of the reactions I've seen really highlight how dogmatic the Melee community still is. There's a rather vocal contingent that has a "no wavedashing = it's trash" attitude towards it. For an even weirder take, I've seen a few people on Reddit and Twitter insist that they don't care how many techniques or movement options the developers intentionally put in--what really counts are exploitable, unintended tricks, because that's where real depth comes from.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 15, 2018

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's not real depth unless it literally damages your hands

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

really i just want there to be combos in smash ultimate but that already seems unlikely but i'm not that concerned because i've got six months to get over it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ness is good and strong and my friend

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

DLC Inc posted:

Combined with the momentum loss on launches, it really seems that Ultimate is angling for a style where optimal play involves a lot of smaller scuffles to build super high percent before going for the kill instead of just Smash Smash Smashing hoping that each one will have the strength and positioning for a win.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I might like Lucas better than Ness just for the presence of my friend Rope Snake, who lacks confidence but really tries his best :unsmith:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

really i just want there to be combos in smash ultimate but that already seems unlikely but i'm not that concerned because i've got six months to get over it

its not looking that way but it looks a hell of a lot better than 4

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bef posted:

its not looking that way but it looks a hell of a lot better than 4

yea this is more or less where i'm at at the moment

"a more aggressive smash 4" is already leaps and bounds better than how defensive smash 4 was lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm okay with there not being a lot of combos because I'm a normal human being that enjoys interacting with other human beings

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There will always be those who find execution challenges fun, and Melee will always be the Smash for them, because it has those challenges, albeit apparently on accident.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i hope every character has multiple safe ways to confirm a ko when their opponent is at a high percent

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a lot of treehouse matches looked like they had legit combo setups for characters like zelda, link, ganon, pac-man. almost everyone got a buff to their speed or recovery, though Bayonetta already got a few nerfs for things that could combo into other things (not nerfed enough though, apparently) Like it's never gonna be the broken twitchiness of Melee and there are checks and balances in place against wavedash stuff like "dodge decay" or whatever but that's for the best

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the combos that mkleo was doing to plup were super hosed up lmao. he does like 4 different midair jumps in a single combo it's hilarious

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bleck posted:

it's not real depth unless it literally damages your hands

Baby games :colbert:

Your mechanics don't have true depth unless you can only reliably activate them using a gamecube controller that has a manufacturing defect.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bleck posted:

I'm okay with there not being a lot of combos because I'm a normal human being that enjoys interacting with other human beings

it's not like i want inescapable 0-to-death combos (ironically smash 64 is probably my favorite smash lol)

it's just... i like the freeform combo nature of smash a lot, and the enemy has a lot of influence to try and get out of a combo, and then you gotta predict and tech chase and... melee was satisfying as gently caress

smash brawl/4 i felt was very... you just hit them once and there was no real follow up at all. it was just a war of attrition of single hits until you eventually die near 200%. it just never felt like there was a lot of room for creativity.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

more casual post: i hope smash ultimate finally means we get this song in high definition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwKvxrlJB-M

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Do you think Pichu will still be a joke character?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Cicadas! posted:

Do you think Pichu will still be a joke character?

Maybe Pichu will do more damage than Pikachu but the recoil will balance it out?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pichu will be top tier.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

more casual post: i hope smash ultimate finally means we get this song in high definition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwKvxrlJB-M

re: music:

GOD i hope ultimate will still hve the option to fine-tune exactly how often a song will play on any given stage, i sunk an afternoon just doing that for hours on 4 because i'm a weirdo but i loved it

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

what I wish 4 had and hope this has is a button to just pick a song when you pick the stage. in addition to the random mix stuff.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Kaubocks posted:

it's just... i like the freeform combo nature of smash a lot, and the enemy has a lot of influence to try and get out of a combo, and then you gotta predict and tech chase and... melee was satisfying as gently caress

smash brawl/4 i felt was very... you just hit them once and there was no real follow up at all. it was just a war of attrition of single hits until you eventually die near 200%. it just never felt like there was a lot of room for creativity.

I really like strings, but not combos, you know? I think you should be able to follow up on attacks, but I think there shouldn't be as much guaranteed, inescapable followups, 'cause then you get dumb stuff like Bayonetta in Smash 4 or a game as inaccessible as Melee

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I only have like a surface level grasp of competitive Smash, but can I ask why Smash 4 has been referred to as a "defensive" game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.