Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

There's a link tok a Facebook video where they stuff it, then roast. So you end up with medium meat surrounding the filling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

tater_salad posted:

Probably the maze. Although really is there any point to having smoke for more than 4 hours into most meats?

Can you toss regular pellets in or do you need amazn™©® brand pellets?

I bought some 30 lb bag of pellets off of amazon (thanks "free" shipping.) It is a hickory/oak blend that i find is okay for quite a bit of stuff.

When buying pellets, just make sure they are food grade and don't have fillers. They attract moisture. Not a big deal since you can dry them out with various means such as an oven or microwave.

Just don't combine it with a water pan.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
where are you guys getting that pellet smokers dont make a lot of smoke? mine is like a drat tire fire

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bewbies posted:

where are you guys getting that pellet smokers dont make a lot of smoke? mine is like a drat tire fire

Pretty sure they're talking about electric smokers. They're talking about using pellets to get more smoke, so...

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Just Ordered a CampChef Woodwind with the sear box on the right. Hoping to ditch my 25 year old Weber Silver, Weber Kettle, Masterbuilt Electric, and a Old Offset stick burner. Will post review.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traeger-Lil-Pig-Electrical-Pellet-Grill-in-Pink-BBQPIG-01/205890227

:stare:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Re: water pan chat a couple pages back. I live in a hot climate. The other day I was walking by my MES and caught a whiff of something foul. I realized at that moment that I had forgotten to clean out the water pan after my last smoke, about 2 weeks prior. I opened the door and green fuzzy had mold coated every surface. The pan was full of maggots writhing in the hot greasy mess.

Following the advice of some old timers prior to this incident, I normally only cleaned the pan and any stuck on food chunks. Everything else was just part of a well seasoned unit. I had to scrub away all that built up bark on the racks and interior surfaces after 8 years of use, as it was now all moldy and gross.

To get a good interior seasoning started again after deep cleaning, I coated everything in vegetable oil and ran it at 275 (mesquite, no water) for a few hours. I then let it cool down and repeated the process. It’s a start but nothing like it was before. I could actually see through the window for once. If you use a water pan, clean it ASAP after each smoke.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That pig smoker is amazing

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

McSpankWich posted:

That pig smoker is amazing

Does the smoke come out the mouth? This is important.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nostrils, I hope.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Even better!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nipples

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Anatomical Grease Traps

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I want one but with Trump instead

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

RisqueBarber posted:

I want one but with Trump instead

With or without nipples?

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Re: water pan chat a couple pages back. I live in a hot climate. The other day I was walking by my MES and caught a whiff of something foul. I realized at that moment that I had forgotten to clean out the water pan after my last smoke, about 2 weeks prior. I opened the door and green fuzzy had mold coated every surface. The pan was full of maggots writhing in the hot greasy mess.

Following the advice of some old timers prior to this incident, I normally only cleaned the pan and any stuck on food chunks. Everything else was just part of a well seasoned unit. I had to scrub away all that built up bark on the racks and interior surfaces after 8 years of use, as it was now all moldy and gross.

To get a good interior seasoning started again after deep cleaning, I coated everything in vegetable oil and ran it at 275 (mesquite, no water) for a few hours. I then let it cool down and repeated the process. It’s a start but nothing like it was before. I could actually see through the window for once. If you use a water pan, clean it ASAP after each smoke.

I've forgotten the water pan was in the MES after a cook and decided to pack it away. Luckily for me when I tipped it back to get it on the casters the MES decided to dump a greasy mess all over my brand new driveway.

Someone review this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qNVCZi3Xo

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I was about to reply "If you need a power drill to shred your pulled pork you're doing it wrong" but after watching the video it seems soft enough and he's using it purely for the convenience. Now I want one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that was surprisingly compelling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Looks worth every penny. I hate pulling pork and chicken.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

micron posted:

I've forgotten the water pan was in the MES after a cook and decided to pack it away. Luckily for me when I tipped it back to get it on the casters the MES decided to dump a greasy mess all over my brand new driveway.

Someone review this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-qNVCZi3Xo

I've pulled the bone and broken a butt into chunks and tossed them in my stand mixer with a paddle. Works amazingly and incredibly fast. I suspect this is much the same.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Zaepho posted:

I've pulled the bone and broken a butt into chunks and tossed them in my stand mixer with a paddle. Works amazingly and incredibly fast. I suspect this is much the same.

Yeah, I seen that link and think I'll give it a try.

For you scrubs without a standalone mixer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeHz-3maMRQ

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Do you people not have tongs or forks or silicone gloves? You don't need a machine it takes like 30 seconds.

micron
Nov 15, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Do you people not have tongs or forks or silicone gloves? You don't need a machine it takes like 30 seconds.

It takes me like 4 minutes with bear claws, especially if it's hot as hell. Ever cook 4-5 shoulders at a clip?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Shut up and let us have fun being creative with gadgets.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Pork butt was on sale at the local market. Going to do another SV/Smoke. I was curious though whats the quickest way to build a bark on the pork. Usually I've been smoking for 2-3 hrs but if I can drop that down with the same results that'd be sweet. Also give me your best spicy-ish rubs.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

sterster posted:

Pork butt was on sale at the local market. Going to do another SV/Smoke. I was curious though whats the quickest way to build a bark on the pork. Usually I've been smoking for 2-3 hrs but if I can drop that down with the same results that'd be sweet. Also give me your best spicy-ish rubs.

What's the rush?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

micron posted:

It takes me like 4 minutes with bear claws, especially if it's hot as hell. Ever cook 4-5 shoulders at a clip?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

silicone gloves

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

What's the rush?

I can account for the extra time if need be. The only time it's been an issue is when we had everyone over at X time for dinner and it took about 1-2 hours longer and everyones is impatient and hungry and can't wait for a good thing. Like I said though more out of curiosity.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I don't bother pulling any more I just chop. Makes for a better distribution of fat, bark and sauce imo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nice out today, decided to do some ribs. Was going to pick up some spare ribs and trim them st louis style.

Much to my surprise st louis cut were roughly $5 for a whole rack.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

micron posted:

Just Ordered a CampChef Woodwind with the sear box on the right. Hoping to ditch my 25 year old Weber Silver, Weber Kettle, Masterbuilt Electric, and a Old Offset stick burner. Will post review.

That's going to be a nice of an upgrade! I've been eyeing those up too. Looking forward to your thoughts.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Not strictly a BBQ question persay, but with the salmon talk on the last page, what's the best method for getting pin bones out? I've tried using pliers on trout cause I get it for free from my dad and the two times I attempted it ended in a mangled mess where yanking out bones inevitably takes a shitload of meat out with it and/or turns the thing to mangled mush. I feel like all the stuff I read online of "oh yeah just remove them before cooking with needle nose pliers" are just trolling me cause every time I've tried it's went horribly wrong. What am I missing?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They make fish tweezers, and it's a little easier if you curve a filet into a little hill so the bones stand out, but it's so much easier to do it after cooking. (Hot cooking -- if you cold smoke it you might be stuck.)

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

They make fish tweezers, and it's a little easier if you curve a filet into a little hill so the bones stand out, but it's so much easier to do it after cooking. (Hot cooking -- if you cold smoke it you might be stuck.)

The fish tweezers are what I use, though I didn't buy them originally as fish tweezers, they were just some tweezers I had lying around in a tool kit. They have like a 1/2cm flat blade at the bottom which makes for easy grabbing on to the bones with out having to be super accurate like you do with needle nose pliers, so you don't end up grabbing at meat multiple times before you actually get the bone.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Not strictly a BBQ question persay, but with the salmon talk on the last page, what's the best method for getting pin bones out? I've tried using pliers on trout cause I get it for free from my dad and the two times I attempted it ended in a mangled mess where yanking out bones inevitably takes a shitload of meat out with it and/or turns the thing to mangled mush. I feel like all the stuff I read online of "oh yeah just remove them before cooking with needle nose pliers" are just trolling me cause every time I've tried it's went horribly wrong. What am I missing?

In my experience needle nose pliers inevitably mangle the fish. I've never used tweezers but if you watch cooking shows that's what they use.

I just use my fingers. Feel long the line with the pin bones, when you feel one that's not exposed enough to grab usually if you press down a bit it will slide out enough to get a purchase on. You may tear the fish a little bit but waaaay less than pliers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Most good fish stores will sell you good flat/wide tweezers for a bit more than they’re arguably worth, but it’s not like you’re buying them every week.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I got these from amazon and they are awesome for pin bones. Salmon almost never tears, but smaller more fragile fish sometimes will.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah I use my claws. I like having various sized chunks. Motorized shredding just takes some of the spirit out of the process.

edit: Since there are only 2 of us, I often do a huge butte, cut off what we are not going to eat before I shred, and vac-seal/freeze it.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 15, 2018

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I'm going to be flying into Dallas, driving to Houston, and flying out from there. Any killer brisket to seek out in or between those cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

ROJO posted:

I'm going to be flying into Dallas, driving to Houston, and flying out from there. Any killer brisket to seek out in or between those cities?

Pecan Lodge in Dallas