Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattleMaster posted:

Who the gently caress wanted a corrugated metal castle :psyduck:

They are putting fake stone cladding over it, it just wasn't finished. Doesn't matter though, they'll never keep out the zombie hordes with so many large ground floor windows.

I like the living quarters, very Groveresque.

Classy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Not enough outlets.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zil posted:

Not enough outlets.

The metal walls are all live.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Facebook Aunt posted:

They are putting fake stone cladding over it, it just wasn't finished. Doesn't matter though, they'll never keep out the zombie hordes with so many large ground floor windows.

I like the living quarters, very Groveresque.

Classy as gently caress.

Getting a definite dorm-room vibe.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BattleMaster posted:

Get the look for less

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Synthbuttrange posted:

zillow estimate: $115,695
Imagine being the assessor asked to find comps on a half finished vinyl siding castle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They forgot to install a vent hood. Now there is a grease stain on the ceiling.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol it's true

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought for sure that castle was going to be a lottery winner's boondogle, so I went digging.

The property was foreclosed on in 2007. https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=368&dat=20070110&id=U0cxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7kQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6782,539338&hl=en

The castle was around, and construction halted, by 2009. http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/ga_unk8.htm

In 2009 the property was transferred into the wife's name. She died in 2013, her husband kicked it in 2015/

https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=812&LayerID=14328&PageTypeID=4&PageID=6238&Q=1888841017&KeyValue=000070000000200A
https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=812&LayerID=14328&PageTypeID=4&PageID=6238&Q=1728883331&KeyValue=007A300000011
https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=812&LayerID=14328&PageTypeID=4&PageID=6238&Q=1888841017&KeyValue=0000700000002

Why the gently caress were a pair of 70 year olds building a tin castle?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious posted:

They needed protection from vandals.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Carpeting? Only on the built-in cat furniture

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A vast majority of castles were wooden, we just have a survivors bias that makes us think stone when we think castle.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MisterOblivious posted:

"It even has a dungeon."

Slugworth posted:

Imagine being the assessor asked to find comps on a half finished vinyl siding castle.

This is amazing.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 15, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Baronjutter posted:

A vast majority of castles were wooden, we just have a survivors bias that makes us think stone when we think castle.
It's still a crappy construction because it reverts 700 years of design and development in fortification to build something from modern materials but with no attention to modern weaponry. Not a sign of earthworks, any attention paid to slopes or enfilades, and they haven't even cleared back surrounding cover to provide clear fire for defenders!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ashcans posted:

It's still a crappy construction because it reverts 700 years of design and development in fortification to build something from modern materials but with no attention to modern weaponry. Not a sign of earthworks, any attention paid to slopes or enfilades, and they haven't even cleared back surrounding cover to provide clear fire for defenders!

But its walls will be impregnable to the hordes of Nerf warfare fans; their Nerf guns and their Nerf catapults, Nerf trebuchets, and other siege weapons will be for naught.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ashcans posted:

Drones don't care. Might as well have nice landscaping when one flies in your window.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BattleMaster posted:

If you look at all the pictures, you can see where they started to apply rock facade around the entryway. It's likely supposed to be all covered that way.

To me, I see a loving huge workshop up in the front section, and living at the rear, or vice versa, but I'm a car/DIY guy to start with. I like the internal courtyard idea.
So, basically, would.

e: f,b

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
I'm wondering about the likelihood of hailstorms in the area.

Don't worry about hearing loss, you'll have all of it after the first one.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's more that the modern definition of the word "castle" has evolved. People are fully aware that there were wooden fortifications, but we call them... wooden fortifications, or fortified manors, or just forts. Whereas the origin of the word "castle" is in latin "castrum" which just means "military camp" or "military post."

https://www.etymonline.com/word/castle

I'm sure survivor's bias comes into play in terms of there not being a lot of ancient wooden fortifications still being intact today, but even if there were gobs of them, we don't call them castles anymore.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

It's more that the modern definition of the word "castle" has evolved. People are fully aware that there were wooden fortifications, but we call them... wooden fortifications, or fortified manors, or just forts. Whereas the origin of the word "castle" is in latin "castrum" which just means "military camp" or "military post."

https://www.etymonline.com/word/castle

I'm sure survivor's bias comes into play in terms of there not being a lot of ancient wooden fortifications still being intact today, but even if there were gobs of them, we don't call them castles anymore.

You forgot to start with "Actually," for maximum technically correctness.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well Baronjutter omitted it first

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well, actually, every man's home is his castle, so long as there is a male calling a building his residence it technically becomes a castle.

What I also found interesting about castle history through is that way back in the day one of the defining points was if your building had crenelations or not, and it as in fact illegal to crenelate a structure if you were not of sufficient class/title to do so as you would be creating an illegal castle.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The stone castles still around today also had additional wooden structures (eg hoardings) that no longer exist.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

^^^ Edit: Dammit, that. >: (

It is somewhat incorrect to talk about a fortress being made of wood or stone, because the reality is that all but the most rudimentary fortifications (such as marching camps) would have some sort of stone features. For instance, the roman camp fort would frequently have wooden pallisades, but would be readily improved to include stone foundations to the towers or gates as long as time and material permitted, and ultimately the complete fort would have added stone defenses. Castles that featured stone walls would still have a large number of wooden components, sometimes structural like flooring but also defensive as protective roofing on towers and battlements and shutters on embrasures and of course doors. Many times the image we recall of a castle is the stone bones of a composite structure.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You did it better, though

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Sweet writeup Ashcans, I'm going to see The Stone Bones at the Apollo next week

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

The stone castles still around today also had additional wooden structures (eg hoardings) that no longer exist.

They were also almost always covered in plaster and sometimes painted. The plaster weathers off and you get exposed stone and now because we've used countless old stone castles in movies, everyone thinks of castles as being bare stone construction when that would have been rare to nonexistent in many places.

And fire was just as much a risk to most stone structures as wood, because as Ashcans pointed out, they used wooden beams in construction and were just as packed full of flammables, fireplaces, lamps, and torches as anywhere else. A lot of castles burned down, sometimes multiple times over the centuries.

Fortifications were built to counter the fortification assault technologies being used at that time and place. Sometimes wood was plentiful and cheap, sometimes it wasn't. Stone buildings could take years or even decades to erect, which might be years too late to be useful. Sometimes all you really needed was a ditch and an embankment. Often, as today, the building was more a symbolic statement of wealth and power, than a fortification that anyone actually expected to be attacked. A lot of castles were poo poo. Some were misplaced, and are intact because it turned out nobody needed to sack them in order to win the war anyway.

A lot of buildings that are marked as castles on a map and called castles by the locals are really just fortified manors - basically just a big house, but ooh we put some crenelations on top or there's a round stone tower, so we're calling this thing a castle even though it has big glass windows and no moat and would not last a day in an actual siege. But if you call it a castle (or a chateu) you can attract more tourists than otherwise, so we're calling this fancy house a castle now goddamnit.

Survival to the present often has more to do with politics than durability anyway. There are few intact medieval castles in Ireland because the British tended to tear them down after they captured them, so Irish nationalists couldn't recapture them and then use them as a strong point to expand a rebellion, for example. Also stone is a valuable resource so old stone structures all over Europe would get quarried for already-cut stone by the locals once they were abandoned.

Basically the word "castle" is bullshit is what I'm saying.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Being covered in plaster is news to me, that's cool. I guess it's like our impression of ancient rome and greece was all stark white marble rather that gaudy painted poo poo. It would be nice if movies/games/media depicted all these things better. I want plaster on my castles, clown paint on my roman statues, and feathers on my dino's !

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
On your dino's what?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Why are there castle nuts on a really crappy car like say a cavalier?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You wouldn't expect to see roundhead nuts on a cavalier

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Leperflesh posted:

They were also almost always covered in plaster and sometimes painted. The plaster weathers off and you get exposed stone and now because we've used countless old stone castles in movies, everyone thinks of castles as being bare stone construction when that would have been rare to nonexistent in many places.

And fire was just as much a risk to most stone structures as wood, because as Ashcans pointed out, they used wooden beams in construction and were just as packed full of flammables, fireplaces, lamps, and torches as anywhere else. A lot of castles burned down, sometimes multiple times over the centuries.

How many have sank into swamps?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You also have to be careful because many 'surviving' castles have been substantially rebuilt over time. It wasn't uncommon in the 18th or 19th century for wealthy nobles to acquire a ruin (or simply have one already on their lands) and commission someone to have it 'rebuilt'. Depending on the noble and the person they chose to do this, the rebuilding could vary wildly between actually restoring structures to their original form, and using the footprint of the ruin to build a completely new structure. Even buildings that didn't suffer this sort of complete destruction and rejuvenation would be modified over time - when medieval castles became less useful as actual fortifications, they were frequently repurposed to other functions, serving as storehouses, prisons, barracks, or modernized into manors or homes.

Part of my family is from Wales and as a kid I would love visiting to see the number of castles there in various states. Interestingly, a large number of them owe their existence to a single family - the Marquesses of Bute - who were fabulously wealthy and over the course of 300 years financed work on a number of castles. These vary through the above; beginning in the 18th century they worked to try and authentically restore Caerphilly Castle, but they also had Castle Coch essentially completely rebuilt using the derelict ruins as a footprint.

I am particularly fond of Cardiff Castle; because it is located right in the middle of a port city, there has been a fortification in some form since the roman occupation of Britain, and because of its location it hasn't suffered long periods of abandon (although it has been repeatedly attacked and brought down). It became part of the Bute holdings and was used as a manor by them until it was turned over to the state. What this means is that you can see examples of a huge range of construction - parts of the outer wall are remnants of the original roman walls, the shell keep on the interior is Norman and was preserved rather than rebuilt or demolished, and a more modern manor was built into the Great Hall along the outer wall. If you are a huge nerd it's an interesting visit where you can see the different uses applied.

You can find this in other places - the Tower of London is one - but Cardiff is fairly unusual in spanning all the way from a 3rd century fort through to the end of the 19th century.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Leperflesh posted:

Stone buildings could take years or even decades to erect, which might be years too late to be useful.
Visiting Guédelon will really make you appreciate this. Building in stone without power tools is effing hard.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Part of my family is from Wales and as a kid I would love visiting to see the number of castles there in various states.

I think just about my favorite castle in terms of design is Caernarfon! I think I may have visited Caerphilly as a child but I don't really remember it clearly, and I'm pretty sure I saw Cardiff when my wife and I were driving around in Wales back in ~2002ish. Wales really has some excellent castles.

While we were in Ireland just three weeks ago, we went to two castles: Donegal, and Trim. Donegal was built over a relatively short period, but then intentionally destroyed by the British after that part of Ireland was conquered (again). Trim is a bigger and quite interesting castle, most of which is still standing, and it's a good example of use changing over time. The original builder put his great hall on the third floor of the keep. After a curtain wall was erected, his successor decided that having all his guests climbign three flights of stairs for every event actually sucked, and while they added a floor to the keep, they built a new great hall alongside the inside of the curtain wall. The old great hall was converted into apartments, but it still sucked dealing with the stairs and eventually the keep was more or less abandoned, even while the castle itself was still in use. Unmaintaned, the roof of the keep caved in but I guess nobody gave a poo poo. Nowadays you can go up on the roof if you take the tour, they've restored it, and a lot of the rooms in the keep are still basically intact including still having original plaster on them (complete with centuries-old graffiti scratched in as usual).

Another reason they know the exterior of the castle was kept covered in plaster is because it has limestone on-site, which was quarried on-site, and fired in several lime kilns which are still there on-site too!

Most everyone has actually seen Trim castle, because it was used for three different castles in the movie Braveheart.

Zopotantor posted:

Visiting Guédelon will really make you appreciate this. Building in stone without power tools is effing hard.

That is extremely cool, I had no idea that existed and now I really want to go visit.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We were looking for a place to eat lunch and happened upon Arundel Castle, everything was closed because it was Sunday or something but it was really big and pretty and nice, thanks for reading.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zopotantor posted:

Well I've played all the Stronghold games and honestly stone is only a little more difficult than wood. Mostly the problem is the oxen very slowly hauling the blocks from the quarry to the stockpile, it's all pretty easy from there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GotLag posted:

You wouldn't expect to see roundhead nuts on a cavalier

:master:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Actually, castles as fortifications is a myth. The word “castle” comes from “cattle” because it’s where they stored their cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

Actually, castles as fortifications is a myth. The word “castle” comes from “cattle” because it’s where they stored their cats.
_/
Hmm. Suspicious.