Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

You might be right. That cult just lets you upgrade any member with any lore I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Knock also has a chance of your minion going missing. Same for grail I think.

And I don't think forge has a chance of death does it. Or did I just miss is because my last game was a forge cult so my guys had 10 forge.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Marenghi posted:

Knock also has a chance of your minion going missing. Same for grail I think.

And I don't think forge has a chance of death does it. Or did I just miss is because my last game was a forge cult so my guys had 10 forge.

It definitely does. I lost my sweet child Tristan to a tragic forging accident.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Soup du Journey posted:

how is that these days, and how does it compare to sunless seas? i kind of worry about the writing now that kennedy is gone

I haven't played it enough to have a strong opinion. Lots of people are saying its am improvement over sunless sea, though

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So what do all of the cultists do?

Moth: Destroy evidence (Chance of dying)
Lantern: Search for inspirations (chance of going insane)
Edge: Abduct strangers (chance of notoriety)
Winter: Create corpse (chance of notoriety?)
Grail: Abduct prisoner? (chance of notoriety?)
Heart: Eliminate mystique/notoriety (chance of notoriety)
Forge: Create/repair items (chance of death)
Knock: ?
Secret History: ?

I think all cultists except heart have a chance of dying / going insane when you send them out. The ones that cause notoriety will always cause notoriety, fail or succeed. And, while you can have a Histories cult, there are no Histories cultists

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Also, if you opt in to the beta branch on steam, they added a 'snap to grid' option in the options menu! Its off by default, so you have to go enable it. But its sooooooo much nicer with it on...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

It definitely does. I lost my sweet child Tristan to a tragic forging accident.

Tristan is my bro and for some reason the only cultist that I know the name and lore of.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Bramble posted:

I haven't played it enough to have a strong opinion. Lots of people are saying its am improvement over sunless sea, though

Without Kennedy the gameplay has improved significantly, although they haven't quite fixed the desert bus feeling of the first one, and the writing quality is still pretty good, though the setting is inherently less ominous, there's less sense of a massive struggle just to survive, than Sunless Sea.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
did they stop making up dumbass spellings of words as proper nouns

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fat Samurai posted:

Tristan is my bro and for some reason the only cultist that I know the name and lore of.

Cat Caro finds the path! Cat Caro knows the way!
Ysabet rises at dusk to do the things an Ysabet does.
Valciane is terribly strong.
Eldridge is waiting patiently until it's time to knife someone again.
Slee speaks exclusively in mathematics and poetry.
Rose is a sly miss.
Renira has been found not guilty three times in three jurisdictions.

They are all my precious babies, especially when MURDERED BY loving EVEEM :argh:

Just get in the box, you little poo poo. You're only delaying the inevitable.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve come to love my Voiceless Dead buddies. Eating evidence, leading expeditions, easy to summon.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

https://twitter.com/DefectInsect/status/1007599955966603264

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I know the lore is meant to be vague in areas, but what is the relationship between The Moth and barbers? It’s lore is named after a barber, it’s Tarot card has scissors hanging from the branches and cut locks of hair.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Unclear, but it's said that secrets cling to hair. So to cut your hair is to shed your secrets.

Pure speculation: Moth originated in the Wheel, and one could argue that hair is the spokes of your head. Alternately, it could be as simple as that moths are fuzzy.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

About the Wheel/Moth.

The Gods-From-Stone were primordial gods during mankind’s infancy. Some were usurped by modern gods in ways that reflect humanity’s development (or maybe humans developed because the new hours usurped old ones?). For instance, flint (primitive tools) was usurped by Forge-of-Days, which implies more modern tools. So I wonder what the meaning of Moth (Chaos, yearning, self-destructive tendencies) usurping The Wheel (which seems to reflect the first real development of humans) means? Maybe that our shift from beasts to thinking humans gave rise to our self destructive tendencies, or that consciousness led to our own internal chaos and yearning?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

About the Wheel/Moth.

The Gods-From-Stone were primordial gods during mankind’s infancy. Some were usurped by modern gods in ways that reflect humanity’s development (or maybe humans developed because the new hours usurped old ones?). For instance, flint (primitive tools) was usurped by Forge-of-Days, which implies more modern tools. So I wonder what the meaning of Moth (Chaos, yearning, self-destructive tendencies) usurping The Wheel (which seems to reflect the first real development of humans) means? Maybe that our shift from beasts to thinking humans gave rise to our self destructive tendencies, or that consciousness led to our own internal chaos and yearning?

I believe that the Wheel represented travel, and more abstractly the unknown and unfamiliar. The usurpation of the Gods-From-Stone happened during the British Bronze Age, so it would have been after the invention of the written word, when one could record what lay over the horizon and pass it on to anyone who was curious. It also would have been when empires first started rising, who made it their business to know exactly what was on the other side of the horizon so they could either conquer or defend from it. Both would detract from the power and mysticism of the Wheel.

More literally, the rise and fall of the Wheel mirrors the rise and fall of the chariot in warfare as it was supplanted by cavalry, both among the empires of the Fertile Crescent and among the horse nomads.

Of course, the opposite could be true, that the death of the Wheel caused all that, depending whether the Hours are cause or effect.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Then what role did The Moth usurp? If The Wheel was generally “Travel”, and The Moth “took his skin from the inside”, what did he become? He doesn’t seem to represent travel very much.

Since these things mirror tarot cards, The Moth seems to symbolize “The Fool”, which if I remember right is kind of the representative of each person as they move throughout their life.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I feel sorry for Moth Pawn. Have they always gone mad on being discipled, or is it just my bad luck?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The Wheel was the unknown that lay beyond the horizon; the Moth grew to represent a more abstract set of unknowns, and of secrets, as human society matured. The Wheel represent the unknown without; the Moth represents the unknown within.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tehan posted:

The Wheel was the unknown that lay beyond the horizon; the Moth grew to represent a more abstract set of unknowns, and of secrets, as human society matured. The Wheel represent the unknown without; the Moth represents the unknown within.

Remember, the Moth is associated with the Wood (and chaos): the untamed, liminal space. I suspect the usurpation was the moment when "the strange place where the mysteries are" stopped being "anywhere but here" and started being "the wild places", i.e. when humanity started drawing a distinction between the tame world and wild one.

"Seven Coils" is less suggestive than "Wheel", but might be a serpent-beast of some description. The Colonel overthrowing it might be death-by-human-violence becoming more prominent than death-by-nature. Grail drinking Tide, I have no idea.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Remember, the Moth is associated with the Wood (and chaos): the untamed, liminal space. I suspect the usurpation was the moment when "the strange place where the mysteries are" stopped being "anywhere but here" and started being "the wild places", i.e. when humanity started drawing a distinction between the tame world and wild one.

That, too, might be part of it. Though my feeling, based mostly on gut, is that the Ring-Yew or the Velvet might be more aligned with the wilds, though they may have arisen later - I don't think we know anything of their origins.

"Seven Coils" is less suggestive than "Wheel", but might be a serpent-beast of some description. The Colonel overthrowing it might be death-by-human-violence becoming more prominent than death-by-nature. Grail drinking Tide, I have no idea.

The Tribune of Scars killed the Seven-Coils, but the Mother of Ants usurped its position. I think the Tribune ascended by carving out a chunk of the Horned Axe's metaphysical domain, but it went on to find a new niche for itself as the guardian of Doors, especially since I'm pretty sure the group that took down the rest of the Gods-From-Stone did so by bashing in the Stag Door.

Maybe Tide was empowered/created by the various Flood Myths - possibly the Black Sea Deluge - but then ebbed as the sea stopped being the Thing That Killed Everyone and started being 'tamed' by the Mediterannean thassalocracies like the Minoans and the Phoenicians? And the greater luxuries available to the burgeoning civilizations created untapped power for a nascent hedonism god. Oversea trade bringing luxuries instead of the sea bringing death is a neat mirror of Grail drinking Tide.

The Sea Peoples might tie into this somehow too.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 15, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I feel like the Tide/Grail is less literal than conquering the sea, and more about passions of the human consciousness and desire. Proto-humans had the passions of animals, driven by basic animalistic tendencies. As consciousness evolved humans started to seek more specific and limitless wants, such as delicious food instead of eating to be full, sex for pleasure and not procreation/biological imperatives, and what not. The Grail “drank The Tide” as humans changed their limited wants as beasts to unlimited wants as humans.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

I feel like the Tide/Grail is less literal than conquering the sea, and more about passions of the human consciousness and desire. Proto-humans had the passions of animals, driven by basic animalistic tendencies. As consciousness evolved humans started to seek more specific and limitless wants, such as delicious food instead of eating to be full, sex for pleasure and not procreation/biological imperatives, and what not. The Grail “drank The Tide” as humans changed their limited wants as beasts to unlimited wants as humans.

That would make sense. Tide as the abstract ebb and flow of natural desires, whereas the Grail is the sorts of passions that cannot be fully satisfied, only more deeply explored.

I think both could be true. The Hours are metaphors, but at the same time literal. The Wood is filled with the fluttering of not just Moth, but also moths. Tide's domain could be appetite, but also the ocean - though would its power ebb and flow based on the fate of its literal interpretation, or only it's metaphorical underpinnings? Could you weaken Moth by killing moths? Or is that just how their power and influence manifests?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That kind of beg the chicken/egg questions of whether the Hours shape the world with their passions, or if natural occurrences of the world are what created the Hours. Do humans strive for war and conquest because the Coiled/Colonel desire those things and their passions make the world, or did they become Hours because the natural tendencies of humans create the aspects that granted them power?

One of the books states that “the turning of the earth, and the changing of the seasons are just the lesser passions of the Hours”, and that the things they really care about are their rivalries with other Hours. Maybe all the natural phenomenon and human proclivities are just byproducts of the briefest attention that Hours pay the waking world.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Whichever way around it is, this link between metaphor and literal leads me to suspect that the date of the Sun-in-Splendour being shattered can be plotted to the very year by the Little Ice Age - which, very neatly, began in a volcanic eruption in 536 AD.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Given that it’s called the “Intercalate”, which can refer to the inserting something between structures or inserting days into A calendar to account for leap years (every 4 years, Sun-in-Splendor broke into 4 deities) I assumed it was the creation of the Gregorian calendar in like 63(?) BC

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I saw a little interview with the creators and they said the game surpassed sales expectations and they will be putting out extra DLC accordingly. They expected to sell 30k in a year and instead they sold 40k in two weeks.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tehan posted:

The Tribune of Scars killed the Seven-Coils, but the Mother of Ants usurped its position. I think the Tribune ascended by carving out a chunk of the Horned Axe's metaphysical domain, but it went on to find a new niche for itself as the guardian of Doors, especially since I'm pretty sure the group that took down the rest of the Gods-From-Stone did so by bashing in the Stag Door.

Reading these, I think the Colonel and the Mother of Ants ascended together:

The Sevenfold Slaying of the Seven-Coiled posted:

An account of the destruction of a primeval Hour, a god-who-was-Stone.

There are twelve verses. In the first, an ascendant Hour identified as the Scarred One enumerates his justifications for destroying the Seven-Coiled: its appetites, its growth, its enmity to humanity. In the second, a priestess puts out his eyes and scars his skin to protect him against the Seven-Coiled’s magics. In each of the next seven verses, he destroys one aspect of the Seven-Coiled...

In the tenth verse, the Scarred One bathes his priestess-patron in the blood of the Seven-Coiled, to lend her power. In the eleventh, they assault the ‘temple behind the world’, entering it by force. In the twelfth, they swear a tripartite oath to protect their ancestors, their descendants, and themselves.

The Deeds of the Scarred Captain posted:

Description: Painstakingly assembled by the soldier of fortune and sometimes renaissance man, Pavel Shulga, during his years in Greece.

An account of the founding of Mycenae by a ‘Scarred Captain’, who first slew seven monsters to make the land safe.

As the Captain destroys each monster, a flood of the blood rises higher, until at last a priestess drowns and is reborn as a serpent-goddess. She blesses the Captain, and he departs for the ‘House above the Forest’, leaving Mycenae to reign supreme after the flood of blood subsides.

Medusa’s Lament posted:

Description: On the death of the Hour called Seven-Coils, ‘the Father of the Mother’.

The first part of the poem describes the ambush of the Seven-Coils by a warrior ‘scarred all over by the traitor gods, scarred even unto his eyes, so that the sight of the great coils would not destroy him’.

The battle rages on until the Seven-Coils drowns in its own blood, at which point the narrative turns mystical and allusive. A seven-titled goddess arises from the foam of its blood: she is an armoured queen, a serpent-daughter, a key, a healer, a murderess, an oracle, but her seventh title is not to be revealed.

That kind of beg the chicken/egg questions of whether the Hours shape the world with their passions, or if natural occurrences of the world are what created the Hours. Do humans strive for war and conquest because the Coiled/Colonel desire those things and their passions make the world, or did they become Hours because the natural tendencies of humans create the aspects that granted them power?

Both, of course!

Given that it’s called the “Intercalate”, which can refer to the inserting something between structures or inserting days into A calendar to account for leap years (every 4 years, Sun-in-Splendor broke into 4 deities) I assumed it was the creation of the Gregorian calendar in like 63(?) BC

You're off by about a millennium and a half... and I wouldn't lean too heavily on our history as a guide, as CS' is apparently quite different.

We're going to have to stop spoilering everything eventually, because this is getting obnoxious.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I saw a little interview with the creators and they said the game surpassed sales expectations and they will be putting out extra DLC accordingly. They expected to sell 30k in a year and instead they sold 40k in two weeks.

:yeah:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 15, 2018

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugh, I had the game pretty much on lock and then I blundered into 3 fascination in rapid succession. I frantically started begging, walking the streets at night and dreaming and was able to get a restlessness that would decay into dread .6 seconds before I died. Then about 2 seconds before dying despair popped up and ate the dread.

I think I'm done until substantial new content is added, since I had summoned everything, explored everywhere and learned everything and just had to increment my ambition a few more times. Is there any reliable way to generate dread that I haven't found?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

A church that worshipped the Sun-in-Splendour, the Church of the Unconquered Sun, is said to have come to power in two histories. Combined this with Illopoly's talk of Elagabalus being linked with the Sun-in-Rags leads me to believe that this is the Roman sun cult that worshipped Sol Invictus and in our timeline never rose to prominence after the deaths of the Emperors that tried to promote him, and that Illopoly was unaware of the the Intercalate. This leads me to believe that the Intercalate must have happened in Late Antiquity.

But I could be completely off base - the Church of the Unconquered Sun could just as easily be Mithraist, or Zunist, or Atenist, and Elagabalus might have worshipped the post-Intercalate Sun-in-Rags. All I can say for certain is that the Intercalate happened after the Gods-From-Stone were usurped, and therefore after the bronze age.

You're off by about a millennium and a half... and I wouldn't lean too heavily on our history as a guide, as CS' is apparently quite different.

I've been working off the assumption that one of the histories is 'our' history, and the other four are different.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 15, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Is there any reliable way to generate dread that I haven't found?

Did you try talking to the hunter with Winter lore?

It's probably easier to burn off fascination with rituals and watch the Time Passes action like a hawk for upcoming Visions, tbh

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did you try talking to the hunter with Winter lore?

It's probably easier to burn off fascination with rituals and watch the Time Passes action like a hawk for upcoming Visions, tbh

I did not try that, I never really explored that area much at all really. I wish I had remembered I could just hold on to one of the fascinations for 3 minutes.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Ok, so I think that maybe there's something I don't understand about Rites. I've kinda avoided reading much of the thread since I still want to do at least a couple more playthroughs while figuring out other stuff.

I finally managed to scrape together 36 aspect (Grail in this case) to be able to perform a rite for the first time. And immediately won the game. Uh, what? I did some reading and it said that your desire doesn't *have* to be at 6, which, uh, ok. But if you need 36 aspect to do a rite to begin with, that pretty much means you're going to immediately ascend, no?

Some of the cards say "combine this with such and such to do X", but I thought I tried some of those combos and got nothin - the verb box text changed to mention something about having 36 aspect or 6 desire. I assumed that doing a tough rear end ritual like I just did to ascend would somehow enable me to perform rites more easily and that it was going to start the endgame, not finish it.

Edit: on further reflection, the combos I tried were the ones that just say aspects rather than specific card names. Maybe I was just picking the wrong things?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

Ok, so I think that maybe there's something I don't understand about Rites. I've kinda avoided reading much of the thread since I still want to do at least a couple more playthroughs while figuring out other stuff.

I finally managed to scrape together 36 aspect (Grail in this case) to be able to perform a rite for the first time. And immediately won the game. Uh, what? I did some reading and it said that your desire doesn't *have* to be at 6, which, uh, ok. But if you need 36 aspect to do a rite to begin with, that pretty much means you're going to immediately ascend, no?

Some of the cards say "combine this with such and such to do X", but I thought I tried some of those combos and got nothin - the verb box text changed to mention something about having 36 aspect or 6 desire. I assumed that doing a tough rear end ritual like I just did to ascend would somehow enable me to perform rites more easily and that it was going to start the endgame, not finish it.

You only have to put a card in the fourth slot for the game-winning ascension rite. Filling the other slots lets you perform other rites, which require much less aspect.

But congratulations on winning the game without using any rites. That's legitimately impressive, even if it was accidental.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

metasynthetic posted:

Edit: on further reflection, the combos I tried were the ones that just say aspects rather than specific card names. Maybe I was just picking the wrong things?

General rule: depending on the verb, not every slot has to be filled, for example the desire slot in rites is used only to win the game, otherwise you use rites without filling the desire slot and you do various stuff with them, mostly summon otherworldly creatures. I'm actually a bit impressed you won without using any summons or stuff like that.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

The easiest rites in the game require 5 in one aspect and 2 in another. The only rites that require specific cards involve corpses (and they're terrible). You only need your Desire to complete a victory condition. Hope those hints don't give everything away but also give you more realistic expectations on what to try and how early to start trying.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I really wish there were an always-visible UI element showing the next Season, so you didn't have to open up the timer every time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheBlandName posted:

The easiest rites in the game require 5 in one aspect and 2 in another. The only rites that require specific cards involve corpses (and they're terrible). You only need your Desire to complete a victory condition. Hope those hints don't give everything away but also give you more realistic expectations on what to try and how early to start trying.

Corpse rites are perfectly fine as corpse disposals!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'm not sure if it is an oversight or what, but you can take advantage of the fact that the multi-slot stuff that doesn't need all slots will still let you use those slots. For corpses and a bunch of other things, you can slot them into recruiting a minion into your cult. I think (not 100% sure off-hand) you can slot in some stuff like dread as well, if you need a controllable dump.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Corpse rites are perfectly fine as corpse disposals!

How the hell do you have corpses that you didn't move heaven and earth to obtain? They don't exactly grow on trees in this game. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
my prisoners kept dying before i used them