Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I'd think riffing comics would make things a little cluttered as you'd have the art and dialogue from the comics plus dialogue from Jonah and the bots underneath, which would probably involve each panel being printed slightly larger than normal in order to make everything fit.

Like I said, I have no idea how this is going to work but I'm still interested in seeing them try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Teenage Strangler has got to be one of the most baffling films they ever riffed

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
As a reminded, tickets to MST3K LIVE go on sale at 10am local time for each venue. I balked at buying the presale tickets for kickstarters due to the $13 in fees on top of the $47 for a ticket (the ticket price is fine but golly!). My desire to see this live show and knowing in going to hurt myself laughing so much won out this morning and I bought my tickets only to find that the ticketmaster service fee doesn't include the fee you have to pay to buy the tickets?! Also you can't combine the two shows tickets into one order processing fee, I assume for my protection. I'm as mad as I was trying to get a ticket to Monsters of Rock 1991 all over again!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ordered Atlanta/The Brain tickets for my family and I. Really wanted to see both, but I usually have to leave early Monday mornings for work. If it’s just half as funny as Argoman/Eegah, it’ll be worth it.

Seeing this with an audience makes everything exponentionally funnier anyways.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 8, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Ordered Atlanta/The Brain tickets for my family and I. Really wanted to see both, but I usually have to leave early Monday mornings for work. If it’s just half as funny as Argoman/Eegah, it’ll be worth it.

Seeing this with an audience makes everything exponentionally funnier anyways.

Yeah, same here for Boston. I'd love to see both but I can only make to The Brain. Should be a blast.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

CapnBry posted:

As a reminded, tickets to MST3K LIVE go on sale at 10am local time for each venue. I balked at buying the presale tickets for kickstarters due to the $13 in fees on top of the $47 for a ticket (the ticket price is fine but golly!).

Sometimes you can order by phone from the venue box office without having to pay 25% of the ticket costs in fees. That's what I did when they were in Atlanta last year; not sure if everywhere does it though

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

precision posted:

Teenage Strangler has got to be one of the most baffling films they ever riffed

Crap now I have that song stuck in my head

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

twistedmentat posted:

Ugh that art is pretty bad but them riffing on comics sounds amazing.

You shut your mouth about Todd Nauck.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dixville posted:

Crap now I have that song stuck in my head

I didn't until you mentioned it, and now go politely to hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
to paraphrase Rifftrax, "that girl is THE HELL from California"

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Shamelessly stealing this from the Rowsdower memorial thread in GBS

https://futuredami.deviantart.com/gallery/30658167/Msties

Edit speaking of Teenage Strangler

https://futuredami.deviantart.com/art/Mikey-514-244906100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTJq4LHes6Q

I love Mikey

Dixville fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 10, 2018

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I DIDN'T STEAL NO BIKE NEITHER :gonk:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Huh, "Incredible Sexless Girl/Man Tells All in Crying Jag".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Truman Capote dispatched to interview titular strangler

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DON'T YOU GIVE MIKEY NO MATCHES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7fKab9XpW0

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

MST3K with only with comics instead of movies apparently. Interesting idea but I'm not sure how well they'd be able to make it work.

Reminds me of when MSTing was still a thing, so I'm definitely down to give this a shot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nemo2342 posted:

Reminds me of when MSTing was still a thing, so I'm definitely down to give this a shot.

I sometimes miss the early 2000s. Oh Oscar, what ever happened to you

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Early 2000s? I was MSTing Usenet posts in 1994 you whippersnapper!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lol I forgot about that sketch and I wasn't sure why but then crow started that screeching noise and I remembered that it freaks my dog out and makes him bark so I can't watch that one. This time it was on my phone so he just growled at it.
This also applies to anything where dogs bark so I have to skip that part in Red Zone Cuba. And Manos.
My dog is training me basically

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dixville posted:

Lol I forgot about that sketch and I wasn't sure why but then crow started that screeching noise and I remembered that it freaks my dog out and makes him bark so I can't watch that one. This time it was on my phone so he just growled at it.
This also applies to anything where dogs bark so I have to skip that part in Red Zone Cuba. And Manos.
My dog is training me basically

My cat would completely ignore the TV except for one scene in a PBS vignette about a wildcat rescue center. At the end of the vignette they do a close-up on a lynx who does a "get that thing out of my face" hiss and every time it sent my cat into full alert mode.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

And I was reading you MSTing Usenet posts, at least when they got put up on Website #9 later on.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dixville posted:

And Mike never blinks.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Oh wow it is embarrassing to look back at usenet posts from the mid-90s. Let me just clear up this Hamdinger thing once and for all. NOT!

I wish that the one time I posted in alt.tv.mst3k I would have not been so pro-Wayne's World.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that the Space Mutiny Rifftrax is tonight.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"... and have concluded that the boilers have not moved in some time."

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Totally forgot that was tonight. How was it? I might go for the rebroadcast

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CapnBry posted:

Oh wow it is embarrassing to look back at usenet posts from the mid-90s

alt.gothic was a goddamn goldmine of mockable content.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Maxwell Lord posted:

"... and have concluded that the boilers have not moved in some time."

There were so many parts where all I could think of was the original MST riffs and it somehow made it even better just remembering them
"Finally Christmas comes to Santa"

I hate to say it but most of the Ryder nicknames were pretty disappointing for me

I loved the Corona borealis located entirely in Skinner's kitchen riff but not many people seemed to laugh at that one, not sure if people didn't get it or if it's too played out? :shrug:

Overall it was a good time. That was the first live one I've seen. There really is something about seeing these movies on the big screen that makes them even more ridiculous somehow.

I really wanna go to the MST3K live show but the closest to me is LA and it's like an hour and a half drive, and it's a Tuesday night and I gotta be at work the next day at 8 AM. Maybe I could take the next day off.
Unfortunately I actually really need to find a new job and most likely relocate because I'm super miserable so who even knows where I'll be in November. But I wanna go so bad. :sigh:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Use this as motivation to finally actively hunt for a new job.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't become a clerk at a shoe store though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Don't become a clerk at a shoe store though.

What's wrong with boot-blacking? I like it very much!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

rydiafan posted:

Use this as motivation to finally actively hunt for a new job.

True but if I move further away I might not be able to go at all. I guess I can always buy the ticket and just sell it if I can't go.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

What's wrong with boot-blacking? I like it very much!

He’s got some stones to mess wit me.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dixville posted:

Overall it was a good time. That was the first live one I've seen. There really is something about seeing these movies on the big screen that makes them even more ridiculous somehow.
I’m going Tuesday. Last I checked me and my fiancée were the only ones in the theater but Myrtle Beach is a wasteland of culture unsurprisingly.

Do they make any battlestar jokes or comment on how MacPhearson looks eerily like David Bowie?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hazo posted:

Do they make any battlestar jokes or comment on how MacPhearson looks eerily like David Bowie?

Mike did say "Yes, we know it's the Battlestar Galactica ship."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the extended version they got it is even more obvious seeing as there's just a random battle late in the movie with Cylon baystars.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Fetch me my warrior mumu.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

muscles like this! posted:

In the extended version they got it is even more obvious seeing as there's just a random battle late in the movie with Cylon baystars.
You mean the ones they blew up with nipples?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Posting to share a boring personal mst story

I was at Disney World on vacation recently and was riding the Mission: Space motion simulator attraction. The queue/“briefing” consists of Gina Torres explaining the crew functions of you and your fellow riders and how you need to enter your assigned capsule on the centrifuge. I found myself involuntarily quietly repeating “capsule” every time she said it.

Thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hazo posted:

Posting to share a boring personal mst story

While we're at it, I have one.

A couple years ago, I was taking improv classes and one of the opening exercises was something called Stretch and Share. Everyone would get in a circle and one person at a time would pick a stretch (which everyone would copy) and tell an anecdote of something interesting that happened to them that week. After everyone had gone, we would start doing improv scenes inspired by the stories.

I had just done a phone interview with Kevin Murphy to hype up a Rifftrax Live show and it was the biggest deal to me, so I used that as my anecdote. I mentioned him by name in this, but added that he's "the guy from Mystery Science Theater" to give context. By the time we were doing scenes based on the stories, two students started doing a bit where one was a red carpet interviewer talking to "the guy from Mystery Science Theater." It was apparent that neither of them knew what MST3K was and they were kind of having a vague and confused conversation because they really didn't know where to go with it. It was funny in an awkward way, but was going nowhere.

So me and another guy set up chairs a few feet in front of them, sat down and proceeded to crack insults at them and the scene itself. Those two had no idea what the gently caress, but the instructor thought it was a good save.

And that's my story.