Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Haven't jumped on this a while...

Any new updates or missions since the whole "Train" mission?
EDIT: Actually wait, the last mission I did was the one on the Chiss world.

Malek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Malek posted:

Haven't jumped on this a while...

Any new updates or missions since the whole "Train" mission?
EDIT: Actually wait, the last mission I did was the one on the Chiss world.

Yeah they added another mission called Nathema Conspiracy that wraps up that story arc. You pick it up on your ship console.

Also you can get Iresso back if you're Consular, and Mako and Akaavi if you're Smuggler or Bounty Hunter.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
DrunkenGarbageCan is this you trolling on Reddit...

quote:

That's not entirely true. IF you play a sniper and you are learning to play ranked PVP, you will die first and fast every match if you come in with top DPS gear. It's a lot better to level a tank up to BiS and then use 100% tank armor and stims when you start ranked as a sniper, because your heals are percentage based so having a larger HP pool means that each self-heal you perform gets back a pile more HP. Once you have learned how to survive being 4-on-1'd long enough to not get poo poo on in chat by your own team, slowly switch to a power/crit build so you can do good damage again.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

DrunkenGarbageCan is this you trolling on Reddit...

Haha I check r/swtor because they're usually first with info but, no, I do not participate.

This Sniper is completely idiotic...he's talking about swapping ~4k+ DPS for ~150 HPS. I have serious doubts anyone actually used this strategy in-game successfully.

I mean if you were facing me and I saw a Sniper with 150k health you'd definitely live longer cause we would purposefully leave you for last...you've got no off-heals and your lovely DPS isn't a threat to anyone.

Edit: I'd find this more believable is they're were talking B mods/enhancements at least but I've debunked that strat several times in our various threads here.

DrunkenGarbageCan fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 14, 2018

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Gree week! Time to get some cool.stuff!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a difference story-wise whether you're a Sage or Shadow, Guardian or Sentinel? Can you pick the other after a while? Not sure if Jedi Sage would be fun since it doesn't seem to have Force Lightning (which is a Dark Side power right?).

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

No story difference. And no, you can't change between advanced classes. It's is an either/or thing.

Lightning is a sith exclusive thing in this game, but if you level an Inquisitor to 50 and complete chapter 3, you can unlock Legacy Force Lightning, which allows you to use Force Lightning on every character while in Heroic Moment.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So any news on Tracer Missile?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

IncelThreadGasser posted:

So any news on Tracer Missile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvXhypPlMgA

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ahh the golden age of SWTOR.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This game is really good ain't it. I'd love to go back to Nar Shaddaa and immerse myself farming scavenging mats for Armormech while listening to the lovely ambient music.

Oh wait no nevermind that was before they simplified crafting. And god it was such an awesome system too. The ability to craft purps with the stats you wanted.

...sigh...

So much enjoyment and many good memories from this game before the vocal masses destroyed it. Would be great to go back in time to when the game first launched.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Would be great to go back in time to when the game first launched.
*starts shaking faster and faster until he induces a concussion and his extremities fly off*

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Bring back the original Ravage animation.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Aleth posted:

Bring back the original Ravage animation.

Animations are important aren't they.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Just remember that crafting system. 3 relaxing days to RE a full set of purple endowment gear (crit + surge). Then I essentially have BiS for that level. I kept my level 56 crafted helmet way into end game. And then you have the schematics so you could sell that gear for big bucks.

Also you could have any variation of stats for any armor type.

Also, extra time spent RE'ing for schematics is more time before you run out of things to do!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't understand how they can justify keeping a game running like this with no content additions month to month. Like, if you've designed a game in such a way that you can't create some small disposable content for users with every update or so, you don't have a sustainable game.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

...because it makes a a pretty coin with minimal investment, people go crazy for the cosmetics in the loot boxes.

The joke in the community is that there is like 3 people in the staff, and 2 of them are outfit designers.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

I really don't understand how they can justify keeping a game running like this with no content additions month to month. Like, if you've designed a game in such a way that you can't create some small disposable content for users with every update or so, you don't have a sustainable game.

Every major update for the last two years except 5.5 has had new content and they usually come ~8-10 weeks apart. What MMO does new quality content every month?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Low investment, moderate return.

Plus you have to realize that while there's not a ton of content available for veterans, new players have probably 200 hours worth of single player activities to work though.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
No MMO has or ever will create content faster than shut-ins can devour it, not without artificial gating anyways.

6.0's around the corner.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
This why you take breaks and rotate MMOs. I come back to SWTOR every 4-6 months and legitimately have fun for a few days. When there's nothing left to hold my interest I roll on with no hard feelings. I know we'll meet again and enjoy our next visit.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The game is too fast paced. It's over before you realize it. The game is streamlined for people who don't have enough time to keep up with gearing (who are they trying to keep up with?), or even play the game at all. So the people who do have the time fly through the game and run out of things to do faster. GC also exacerbates the problem by making large swathes of content skippable and redundant. It's unrealistic to keep up with the niche content preferences of separate player demographics, especially in monthly updates.

I mean come on, you want players to be playing your game for longer, not have them finish the game in a day.

IncelThreadGasser fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 25, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tank stats being changed for PvP. . While it's nice to make Shield and Absorb more useful, I think DPS geared tanks with a shield are still going to be the meta.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I've been having a lot of weird lag spikes with this game, even though I'm playing on an EU server while in the EU. I think the issue is that I originally bought the game when I lived in the US, and I think my account is now linked to a US version of the game (looking through game files, I see a lot of references to files titled "en_us" etc. Could the game be trying to bounce from the EU to the US and back based on some weird pathing built into a US version of the game? I don't think it's my ISP, and it certainly isn't my computer.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Tank stats being changed for PvP. . While it's nice to make Shield and Absorb more useful, I think DPS geared tanks with a shield are still going to be the meta.

It's a decent buff for the whole dozen people who actually do and want to tank in tank gear.

lol Bioware in the same patch make a bunch of WZ changes to make them go faster and also make a significant change that'll raise TTK. :psyduck:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Wasn't the problem that defensive stats didn't mitigate player damage types (force and tech), not that it didn't include crits? Doesn't seem like this is doing much if so.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So I started an F2P account and I'm still leveling too fast. I'm at level 10 already and I'm only up to my 2nd story mission.

BTW check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFLFnowSahQ

IncelThreadGasser fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 29, 2018

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

Wasn't the problem that defensive stats didn't mitigate player damage types (force and tech), not that it didn't include crits? Doesn't seem like this is doing much if so.

In ToR you have Melee/Ranged, Force/Tech, Weapon/Energy/Kinetic, and Internal/Elemental. Melee/Ranged and Force/Tech are basically for to-hit rolls while the others are affected by defenses.

Internal/Elemental are the only types that bypass Shields. All crits currently bypass Shields which in PvP is a problem where players have 50%+ crit rates and autocrit abilities.

Force/Tech attacks are 100% Acc and bypass Armor but can be Resisted based on Defense rating. This is what made Shield Tech PT’s so strong prior to nerfs, their primary attack was AoE Tech Elemental damage.

Abilities can have multiple properties, for example the initial hit of Mind Crush is Force Internal damage while the DoT part is Kinetic.

This change worries me cause it’s going down the road of turning Tanks into passive fat sacks of mitigation where the only “skill” needed is the right gear.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

In ToR you have Melee/Ranged, Force/Tech, Weapon/Energy/Kinetic, and Internal/Elemental. Melee/Ranged and Force/Tech are basically for to-hit rolls while the others are affected by defenses.

Internal/Elemental are the only types that bypass Shields. All crits currently bypass Shields which in PvP is a problem where players have 50%+ crit rates and autocrit abilities.

Force/Tech attacks are 100% Acc and bypass Armor but can be Resisted based on Defense rating. This is what made Shield Tech PT’s so strong prior to nerfs, their primary attack was AoE Tech Elemental damage.

Abilities can have multiple properties, for example the initial hit of Mind Crush is Force Internal damage while the DoT part is Kinetic.

This change worries me cause it’s going down the road of turning Tanks into passive fat sacks of mitigation where the only “skill” needed is the right gear.

Yeah, at least they've announced they're opening a PTS for it. Should be interesting to see how it rolls out.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

As a full-time fat sack gotta say I don't hate the sound of it.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So I started an F2P account and I'm still leveling too fast. I'm at level 10 already and I'm only up to my 2nd story mission.

BTW check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFLFnowSahQ

Can't remember when but you will start getting XP penalties as a F2P account at some point. Probably still doesn't matter though.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Been noticing this, too. I upped the difficulty level (even Veteran was too easy, so I set it to Master) to give me some more interesting gameplay. You'll still level too fast, but at least it won't be a breeze, and the loot will be better. Also, I alternate which planets to do the story missions on (Nar Shadaa wasn't as fun as Balmorra, fyi. But Alderaan is more fun than Tat. Voss loving blows. There's a mission node that is so goddamn annoying, I almost quit playing). Skip all the quests that aren't planet or character arcs. I haven't heard of any side quest arcs that are super fun, but if anyone has a recommendation, maybe listen to that?

On the difficulty setting, just make sure you change it down from Master to Veteran or whatever before you do a random group. Hooooly poo poo, I had never done some of those group queues and I got my rear end KICKED. I sure pissed off a good number of people on the EU server last night...

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SoUncool posted:

Been noticing this, too. I upped the difficulty level (even Veteran was too easy, so I set it to Master) to give me some more interesting gameplay. You'll still level too fast, but at least it won't be a breeze, and the loot will be better. Also, I alternate which planets to do the story missions on (Nar Shadaa wasn't as fun as Balmorra, fyi. But Alderaan is more fun than Tat. Voss loving blows. There's a mission node that is so goddamn annoying, I almost quit playing). Skip all the quests that aren't planet or character arcs. I haven't heard of any side quest arcs that are super fun, but if anyone has a recommendation, maybe listen to that?

On the difficulty setting, just make sure you change it down from Master to Veteran or whatever before you do a random group. Hooooly poo poo, I had never done some of those group queues and I got my rear end KICKED. I sure pissed off a good number of people on the EU server last night...

Veteran and Master difficulty for quests only apply to KOTET and KOTFE quests.

I'm a completionist so I do every quest I can find. I've gotten used to being over-leveled a heap. There's just too much farting around with undergearing and companions and whatnot to take the game anywhere beyond ridiculously easy that I just gave up fighting it. Afterall being over-leveled doesn't mean I can't do every quest on every planet, and the combat is fun enough to ignore the level difference.

Also I should mention level-sync. The way level-sync works is that it reduces your stats to the equivalent of purple gear for the maximum level of the planet (before the 2 added levels), then adds 50% (so you get some benefit from your higher level gear). If your gear stats do not go beyond 150% of the planet's max then you won't see any change. So while leveling you might be over-leveled for a certain planet, but as long as you don't gear for your level and instead stick with gear suited for that planet you should be able to keep some balance.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Veteran and Master difficulty for quests only apply to KOTET and KOTFE quests.

Really? Maybe it's just placebo, then, because I've noticed a lot more "gold" elites and better drops on this run with my Sorc at Master difficulty than I did with my Agent on normal. And I only played the two up to level 50.

I haven't played enough to know for sure, though. Could be like when you play "slug bug" and now all you see on the road are volkswagons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SoUncool posted:

Really? Maybe it's just placebo, then, because I've noticed a lot more "gold" elites and better drops on this run with my Sorc at Master difficulty than I did with my Agent on normal. And I only played the two up to level 50.

I haven't played enough to know for sure, though. Could be like when you play "slug bug" and now all you see on the road are volkswagons.

Yeah the Mission Difficulty preferences are only for Knights of the Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne chapters.

There are varying Flashpoint and Operation difficulties, but those are specifically chosen in the Activity Finder window or from the quest giver.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

SoUncool posted:

Veteran/Master for KotFE/KotET doesn't change the enemy composition, what attacks they have available, nor what they drop. All it does is vastly increase the amount of damage mobs do and the health of certain "boss" encounters.

If you were doing missions on Master mode you'd know it real quick when a basic enemy 2-shotted your on some lucky crits.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Definitely placebo, then. Ah well. Just finished Sorc chapter 3. I'm hoping Hutt Cartel and on are more difficult and it's just the lower levels that are easy (like how WoW's previous expansions all got easier so people could level faster). Still, I wish the ending fights for these chapters was more epic. All the chapter bosses for the Agent and Sorc arcs haven't really been challenges. At least the storylines were awesome.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SoUncool posted:

Definitely placebo, then. Ah well. Just finished Sorc chapter 3. I'm hoping Hutt Cartel and on are more difficult and it's just the lower levels that are easy (like how WoW's previous expansions all got easier so people could level faster). Still, I wish the ending fights for these chapters was more epic. All the chapter bosses for the Agent and Sorc arcs haven't really been challenges. At least the storylines were awesome.

You're going to be disappointed. They made the game extremely casual friendly so all of the story content is beyond easy. They introduced level syncing with 4.0 that reduced your level on planets so you could no longer solo world bosses and such, but that sadly led to many of the story bosses being reduced to a joke since they were on starter planets.

There's plenty of difficult content in the game, but most of it is group content. As DrunkenGarbageCan said, the Veteran/Master chapters are harder but just because they make enemies do a ton of damage, so it's not really about skill. Just push through the story and enjoy yourself, if you want challenging content do group activities

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

SoUncool posted:

I've been having a lot of weird lag spikes with this game, even though I'm playing on an EU server while in the EU. I think the issue is that I originally bought the game when I lived in the US, and I think my account is now linked to a US version of the game (looking through game files, I see a lot of references to files titled "en_us" etc. Could the game be trying to bounce from the EU to the US and back based on some weird pathing built into a US version of the game? I don't think it's my ISP, and it certainly isn't my computer.

So my earlier suspicions appear to be correct. For future reference, in case anyone else hops the pond, the game download associated with your account in your starting continent is coded to connect to the servers allocated to that continent first, then re-direct to whichever server you're playing on. Uninstalling the game before you move doesn't help, since that version of the download is tied to your account. You would need to create a new account and download a new copy based on your IP address in your new continent.

I connected to the US-based servers on my account and experienced zero server-side lag playing through 50 levels. Average ping was about 120ms (accounting for crossing the atlantic, that's not too bad).

Creating a new account and downloading a "european" version of the game (my language and location files now read "en" "fr" and "de" whereas before, it read "en_us"), my average ping dropped to 47ms, but I didn't have preferred access, any of my old characters, legacy, etc.

It's probably a pretty rare condition for people to face, but there it is. If you're suffering from the occasional lag hang and disconnect, this might be why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Getting back into the game after like seven years away, only played a couple of months back then. Created a new smuggler and used the OP ref link to transfer to goon server cause the lag can't be that bad from Europe, can it?