Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thanks for all the responses to my last post! I played last night with a couple buddies in Squads with voice chat and had a blast. Pro Builder Mode definitely the way to go. I am still rear end at both shooting and building but it's more and more fun! We got 2nd place a couple of times, but the end it's like us vs gods who have golden weapons and are jumping stories with a single bound somehow and I can barely process what is even happening before I am suddenly dead. So, I still need practice haha.

Just to confirm, anything you get via the battlepass or V-bucks is purely cosmetic, right? No starting-with-weapons or better-loot stuff going on behind the scenes? I am content to play as a random avatar every time, I just want to be sure I'm losing purely due to being a terrible player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Thanks for all the responses to my last post! I played last night with a couple buddies in Squads with voice chat and had a blast. Pro Builder Mode definitely the way to go. I am still rear end at both shooting and building but it's more and more fun! We got 2nd place a couple of times, but the end it's like us vs gods who have golden weapons and are jumping stories with a single bound somehow and I can barely process what is even happening before I am suddenly dead. So, I still need practice haha.

Just to confirm, anything you get via the battlepass or V-bucks is purely cosmetic, right? No starting-with-weapons or better-loot stuff going on behind the scenes? I am content to play as a random avatar every time, I just want to be sure I'm losing purely due to being a terrible player.

It's not PTW in BR mode, so you are correct.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 15, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Cosmetics only. To be fair it's also entirely possible to die due to RNG.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Cosmetics only. To be fair it's also entirely possible to die due to RNG.

And on the other side, most of my wins are thanks to RNG!

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

MF_James posted:

Nor in pve

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

MF_James posted:

Uhh excuse me, my bright pink skin I paid for makes lots more people see and shoot at me and reveal their location so I can destroy them with my highly-tuned expert plays and furthermore *falls off a cliff and dies in the final fight*

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Uhh excuse me, my bright pink skin I paid for makes lots more people see and shoot at me and reveal their location so I can destroy them with my highly-tuned expert plays and furthermore *falls off a cliff and dies in the final fight*

The Tomatoe Head costume makes your head twice the normal size so it has twice the normal hitbox.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Mr Hootington posted:

The Tomatoe Head costume makes your head twice the normal size so it has twice the normal hitbox.

All hitboxes are the same

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

monkeu posted:

All hitboxes are the same

Yeah all hitboxes are the size of the big head skins as far as I can tell.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
But yeah point is Fortnite you can't buy your way to victory- you can get cool looking skins, pickaxes, and dances but when you drop from the battlebus everyone is the same- a pickaxe and good luck where you're landing unless its tilted oh no its tilted isn't it OH NO THAT OTHER GUY GOT THE SHOTGU-

*dies*

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

gently caress out of here if you didn't buy the soccer player, slam your number to 69 and pick the French kit immediately

edit: Canada if you play in the US

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tote up a bags posted:

gently caress out of here if you didn't buy the soccer player, slam your number to 69 and pick the French kit immediately

edit: Canada if you play in the US

gently caress, are soccer skins still available? I'm gonna hop on tonight and play some, really wanna nab one of these.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

gently caress, are soccer skins still available? I'm gonna hop on tonight and play some, really wanna nab one of these.
Yeah, I think its worth it because there are a lot of styles that you can change to.
My fav

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Little Bitch Man posted:

Yeah, I think its worth it because there are a lot of styles that you can change to.
My fav

Wait wait wait it's like, a customizable skin?

*busts through home wall like Kool-Aid man*

OH Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Wait wait wait it's like, a customizable skin?

*busts through home wall like Kool-Aid man*

OH Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah you get like 25 football team uniforms and custom player number to mix and match arbitrarily at a whim.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat I am SO glad I splurged when slightly tipsy like a month and a half ago to get like 2500 v-bucks :bubblewoop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

drat I am SO glad I splurged when slightly tipsy like a month and a half ago to get like 2500 v-bucks :bubblewoop:

One football skin is 1200, they have 4 different guy and gal variants each.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I don't play BR often but bought it anyway, 32 colors is more than worth it. That and Llamas are useless. :v:

E: Got like 2500 Vbucks in StW in the past 2 weeks through the event/dailies, pretty sweet.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

One football skin is 1200, they have 4 different guy and gal variants each.

Yesssss, I have like 1600 left. I had to buy the Toxic Trooper outfit cause :swoon:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am saving vbucks for next season battlepass.

Because I am a boring person, dead inside.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

RNG giveth as well as taketh away. I landed at the soccer field NW of shifty to pick up a challenge, hoofed it up through pleasant to get leftover greens, and ended up in a 1x1 waiting out the circle on top of the new cart track mountain. Then the next circle. Then the next.

Three stragglers leaking in to my position later and I had my fifth ever solo win. No way I deserved it based on my choices, but the circles just fell to where I had a really advantageous position.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tei posted:

I am saving vbucks for next season battlepass.

Because I am a boring person, dead inside.

See, I said that when I had enough v-bucks the first time... then they dropped the pizza cutter pickaxe. Then the second time, the salty emote came back... Then the third time was the toxic trooper skin... :psyduck:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

wanted to post and let everyone know that there is a free ps+ skin in the playstation store right now that is p sweet. once you log in on ps4 so that it validates it, you can use it on PC or mobile (but not switch or xbox because sony blows). enjoy!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If I buy the battlepass now is there really enough time to do the things required to earn the next battlepass, or am I better off waiting the couple weeks for the new season?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

AAB posted:

wanted to post and let everyone know that there is a free ps+ skin in the playstation store right now that is p sweet. once you log in on ps4 so that it validates it, you can use it on PC or mobile (but not switch or xbox because sony blows). enjoy!

Tip: don't do it unless PS4 is your main platform.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If I buy the battlepass now is there really enough time to do the things required to earn the next battlepass, or am I better off waiting the couple weeks for the new season?

Hard to say, really. You would be placed at whatever tier you're currently at (and get all the previous tier rewards). You would unlock 7 weeks of challenges all at once, so tier progress would be pretty quick. I don't think it would be too hard if you're playing daily.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you player 2-3 hours per day for the rest of the season, you should be fine. Really depends how much you play

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Do you get to change the customization of the soccer skins once you buy them, or do you have to pick what you want at time of purchase?
I've been saving my v-bucks for if the rock-out emote ever comes back but it might be worth it if the skin can be edited after you buy it.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Nullsmack posted:

Do you get to change the customization of the soccer skins once you buy them, or do you have to pick what you want at time of purchase?
I've been saving my v-bucks for if the rock-out emote ever comes back but it might be worth it if the skin can be edited after you buy it.

I've been told you can- don't have the skin myself so I can't verify. You can't alter the person wearing it after you buy it however.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You can change the soccer skin whenever you want and it rules. Also agreeing with the other poster RE: slamming it to 69 (the sex number)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

prom candy posted:

You can change the soccer skin whenever you want and it rules. Also agreeing with the other poster RE: slamming it to 69 (the sex number)

Everyone is 69 what a surprise!

I put mine to 69 immediately, also.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I've tried so hard to like this game but every time I play it (BR mode) I feel like I'm 100 years old and getting styled on from all angles by twitch teens :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Emron posted:

RNG giveth as well as taketh away. I landed at the soccer field NW of shifty to pick up a challenge, hoofed it up through pleasant to get leftover greens, and ended up in a 1x1 waiting out the circle on top of the new cart track mountain. Then the next circle. Then the next.

Three stragglers leaking in to my position later and I had my fifth ever solo win. No way I deserved it based on my choices, but the circles just fell to where I had a really advantageous position.

That's how I got my so far only solo win. Hid behind the downed battle bus near Shifty and let everyone else sort things out, then ambushed the one survivor with shotgun + jetpack when they were forced to come to me.

I generally prefer going the stealth/circle edge route over obsessively building huge battle towers. Sometimes that plan works, other times it does not. :v: Works a treat for making it into the top 5 at least...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If your goal is solely to get enough v-bucks to be able to buy the next one...maybe? Most of the challenges are things you'll do in the course of playing (weapon damage/eliminations) or can be knocked out in a few games with the help of a map. The only challenges that'll give you trouble are the location-specific elimination ones, since far fewer people are going to be hanging around places like Snobby at this point. Though even then it might depend on how much you've kept up with daily challenges and your overall level, I don't really remember how many tiers you have to hit to get 1000 v-bucks out of the pass.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 15, 2018

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I've started playing this game this week. While it doesn't run great on my laptop (a surface) I've been having a blast. I play mainly solo modes but I was thinking out trying out squads. Are there any differences? I saw some discords recommend for picking up groups. Is that the best way or is there some goon friends directory?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

Everyone is 69 what a surprise!

I put mine to 69 immediately, also.

:same: And also representing my country. Even though they were loving idiots and didn't qualify.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I've started playing this game this week. While it doesn't run great on my laptop (a surface) I've been having a blast. I play mainly solo modes but I was thinking out trying out squads. Are there any differences? I saw some discords recommend for picking up groups. Is that the best way or is there some goon friends directory?

Try the one linked in the OP?

But yeah, only been playing a few weeks but I can usually make the top 20 just by a- not landing in a heavily contested area ( Tilted, Retail, and for this week, Risky Reels ) unless I can land on a good shotgun, get some materials ( just hit things with your pickaxe ), and picking your fights- remember Battle Royale is last person standing wins, so its completely ideal to flee from fights where you're overmatched or in a bad position. Get the highest ground you can as the circle shrinks and if you've scrounged up enough guns at that point you should be in a position to fight to decide the winner of the match.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

StabMasterArson posted:

I've tried so hard to like this game but every time I play it (BR mode) I feel like I'm 100 years old and getting styled on from all angles by twitch teens :(

How do you do, fellow non-kid! I've resigned myself to running and hiding most of the time until I die. Sometimes I kill somebody, and that's pretty neat. But for now, it's mostly wandering around between hiding places and then exploding loot at someone else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Getting dunked on is part of the fortnite experience. Just remember that there are 99 other people who got dunked on as well and it doesn’t seem so bad.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

John Murdoch posted:

I generally prefer going the stealth/circle edge route over obsessively building huge battle towers. Sometimes that plan works, other times it does not. :v: Works a treat for making it into the top 5 at least...

Obviously there's no right or wrong way to play but I'd rather play 5 games in a row where I die top 80 than play a game where I go ten minutes without seeing anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Getting dunked on is part of the fortnite experience. Just remember that there are 99 other people who got dunked on as well and it doesn’t seem so bad.

technically 98, but really, if you win, aren't you just dunking on yourself?