Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Tumbler sound effect from Batman now pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

spandexcajun posted:

I am baffled by this. Piping in fake v8 sounds to newer smaller engine Mustangs and BMWs is dumb, but it make a little bit if sense (If I really twist my brain...). But what the hell is the appeal of just making up fake noise that never existed in the first place?

Yea I don't get it either.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ClassH posted:

Yea I don't get it either.

Agreed... Rode in a BMW i8 during one of the Drive Electric Week events. The guy driving it had it in Sport mode, which makes the noises even louder and more aggressive. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Agronox posted:

Or just an appeal to people who like vroom vroom noises.

But, I am one of these people! I'm probably just overthinking it... people like what they like, logic is sometimes not involved.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

spandexcajun posted:

I guess it's an appeal to people who need a car with "soul"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4xJ-4piQxI

Oh Jesus loving Christ. I swear I did not see this before my post.

"For reasons mystery and many..."

:iiam:

We anthropomorphize machines when they don't act in predictable and reliable ways (like people) so, yeah Porches have plenty of "soul"

:ms:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think the "soul"-discussion is very fascinating. Obviously there is no such thing as soul, really. It's people with a certain set of cultural references artfully saying "wow I really like this". I like the animalistic way an engine can breathe, vocalize, you can imagine it purring at idle or tensing up before releasing a roar etc. But I also like the spaceship zoom of an EV in the same way, it makes me go "wow I really like this". But "soul" doesn't quite capture that because spaceship zoom isn't something that animals do. So when I come up with a really striking metaphor that works with spaceship zoom, soul won't matter as much.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I hate loud cars and would support more restrictive regulations against them. It's pathetic when some dumb civic is making a ton of noise going 10mph in the parking lot. All that noise for that small speed. Also get off my lawn.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Does the EV train have enough momentum to keep rolling regardless of Tesla? I don't personally give a poo poo about Tesla as a brand, but I feel that they are one of the biggest reasons EV interest is as high as it is right now. If they go under, and Teslas cease to exist, will other automakers continue the roll into full fleet electrification within my lifetime?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

stevobob posted:

Does the EV train have enough momentum to keep rolling regardless of Tesla? I don't personally give a poo poo about Tesla as a brand, but I feel that they are one of the biggest reasons EV interest is as high as it is right now. If they go under, and Teslas cease to exist, will other automakers continue the roll into full fleet electrification within my lifetime?

I think they'll lose interest.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

stevobob posted:

Most companies are making rather large investments and commitments to electrics, so I think they're here for at least the next couple car generations, probably longer.

The unknown is how biomass-derived biofuels get on. We've got a huge infrastructure already in place to accommodate using liquids as fuels, so if those ever get economical they may marginalize the BEVs in the future.

BEVs will co-exist with hybrid ICE cars for a long time, though. At worst BEVs will corner the short-range commuter/city car niche, while ICEs will be preferred for long distance trips.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

stevobob posted:

If the economics are there, yes.

The biggest advantage Tesla has had in terms of actually getting people to buy BEVs is an investor class that is completely uninterested in profitability.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
The funny thing I just realized is that the only Tesla anyone ever really wanted was the roadster they stopped making after like 7. But the cool of that car somehow overflowed onto the relatively mediocre cars of the next generation and created demand for that.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

The funny thing I just realized is that the only Tesla anyone ever really wanted was the roadster they stopped making after like 7. But the cool of that car somehow overflowed onto the relatively mediocre cars of the next generation and created demand for that.
What? The S is a fast full sized sedan, for which there is a well established market. No one else was making EVs with 400+ ft.lbs of torque. Electric acceleration is fun as hell and Tesla has been making the most fun EVs for the past several years.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My car has the soul of the previous owner trapped in it like a harry potter soul thing.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

bawfuls posted:

What? The S is a fast full sized sedan, for which there is a well established market. No one else was making EVs with 400+ ft.lbs of torque. Electric acceleration is fun as hell and Tesla has been making the most fun EVs for the past several years.
Yeah, no, I'm not saying it's a bad car or anything, but if they'd started with a car like that and not done the short-lived roadster nobody would have even heard of the company. It was an amazing piece of marketing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

roomforthetuna posted:

Yeah, no, I'm not saying it's a bad car or anything, but if they'd started with a car like that and not done the short-lived roadster nobody would have even heard of the company. It was an amazing piece of marketing.
Not really, if they could have afforded to do the S first it would have done fine on its own merits. Especially the P and P...D versions. It would not have done nearly as well without those.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spandexcajun posted:

No car let's you coast at highway speeds without using the accelerator*.

Many ICE vehicles have really lovely engine braking and can coast almost as well in gear as they could in neutral. Every Mopar with an automatic I've ever driven has been like this, my parents' old Jeep Liberty I could stick in to second gear at highway speed and while the RPM would rise it barely slowed down. My Fords on the other hand would slam you in to your seatbelts if you did the same.

Also all of us who like those strange sticks coming out of our center consoles have a way to switch to that mode on demand.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
A: there’s very little engine braking in top gear.
B: some modern transmissions will actually put the car into neutral when you’re cruising at highway speeds if there’s no load.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
A famous person is claiming their Tesla spontaneous caught on fire so I guess go ahead and put that with the rest of the good news Tesla has had lately.

https://mobile.twitter.com/marycmccormack/status/1007831286176571394

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 18, 2018

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Looks badass. My Flaming Electric Chariot.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Musk is claiming both sabotage by an employee, and also that 5k cars is real soon now.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/06/18/elon-musk-email-employee-conducted-extensive-and-damaging-sabotage.html

quote:

making direct code changes to the Tesla Manufacturing Operating System under false usernames and exporting large amounts of highly sensitive Tesla data to unknown third parties.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is there no fire suppression system that can stop a lithium fire? I am guessing no. Have to put it out with explosives like an oil wellhead fire.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Elephanthead posted:

Is there no fire suppression system that can stop a lithium fire? I am guessing no. Have to put it out with explosives like an oil wellhead fire.

You should be able to put them out; they don't have their own oxidizer so far as I'm aware. You just can't use water to put them out because they'll convert the water into hydrogen and oxygen and burn that. A class D extinguisher ought to work fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elephanthead posted:

you can put out a lithium fire with a class D extinguisher

the tricky thing with EV fires is that it's possible that the batteries aren't actually burning. in that case the right play is to dump a poo poo ton of water on the battery pack to prevent it from overheating

unless you have some manufacturing flaw the battery will not catch fire unless severely damaged

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I really want a head-to-head of the I-Pace and the Model 3 LR AWD Performance and the Model X 75D

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla vlogger Bjørn is getting a ride in a Pipistrel electric plane, some pics here: https://www.facebook.com/Teslabjorn/posts/836072569919206 The Norwegian aviation authorities have bought one for testing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
EV fans: Pikes Peak is this weekend and VW and Romain Dumas are going to try and set a new electric record up the mountain. I think the race is even being live-streamed, although not for free.

There’ll be a feature at Ars on it next week.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Info-video of the aforementioned plane, no flying yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxhBI6KC-O8

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 21, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

And the flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgdj9HpdzvI

Takeoff at 7:00. I want one! Nice quiet-ish sound on the flyby. I think its prop turns at a lower rpm compared to even fixed pitch fossils.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ola posted:

Tesla vlogger Bjørn is getting a ride in a Pipistrel electric plane, some pics here: https://www.facebook.com/Teslabjorn/posts/836072569919206 The Norwegian aviation authorities have bought one for testing.

I've often wondered what it would take to make electric airplanes a meaningful method of transportation. Based on the specs for electric planes produced to date, you'd need about a 4-5x increase in batter energy density to match the range of a Cessna 152. There have been lab experiments with batteries that can hold that kind of power, but no news of any progress towards mass production.

Though Volkswagen just invested $100 million in a startup working on solid-state lithium batteries:

https://electrek.co/2018/06/22/volkswagen-invest-solid-states-batteries-electric-cars/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i don't know why the gently caress we keep putting so much money into batteries when liquid fuels are literally an order of magnitude more energy-dense and available right now

aside from a few experimental compounds like boron zip fuels, the gasoline/kerosene/diesel/etc system of fuels is literally the lightest and most compact way of storing energy we know of until you get to nuclear materials, and you can transport the stuff with a bucket and a hose. it's a loving godsend that our planet is full of these miracle chemicals just a few hundred feet under the ground, because if it wasn't, we'd probably still be freezing to death every winter or dying of scurvy while trying to reach the new world.

liquid-hydrocarbon fuel cells are the true way forwards. batteries are just a stopgap.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

i don't know why the gently caress we keep putting so much money into batteries when liquid fuels are literally an order of magnitude more energy-dense and available right now

aside from a few experimental compounds like boron zip fuels, the gasoline/kerosene/diesel/etc system of fuels is literally the lightest and most compact way of storing energy we know of until you get to nuclear materials, and you can transport the stuff with a bucket and a hose. it's a loving godsend that our planet is full of these miracle chemicals just a few hundred feet under the ground, because if it wasn't, we'd probably still be freezing to death every winter or dying of scurvy while trying to reach the new world.

liquid-hydrocarbon fuel cells are the true way forwards. batteries are just a stopgap.

But Toyota is boring.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

drgitlin posted:

EV fans: Pikes Peak is this weekend and VW and Romain Dumas are going to try and set a new electric record up the mountain. I think the race is even being live-streamed, although not for free.

There’ll be a feature at Ars on it next week.
Pretty sure EV West will also be there with their newly revamped M3

https://youtu.be/racUCpe86uA

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Well sure, but they're only really useful for work when you burn them in engines which are designed for burning them in. But, what if we made a different kind of engine, one that didn't work on burning hydrocarbons? What if you could optimize that engine for the lower energy density and different energy delivery offered by batteries and have it accomplish the same sort of ends?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Finger Prince posted:

What if you could optimize that engine for the lower energy density and different energy delivery offered by batteries and have it accomplish the same sort of ends?

If you can "optimize" an engine for an energy source with low density -- by which I assume you mean "make a very efficient electric motor" -- then by using the same engine with the high-power liquid fuels you could have a vehicle that far superior in range/efficiency/weight/size to anything that either burns the fuel or uses chemical batteries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_methanol_fuel_cell is currently the technology with the strongest research base but there are variants of the concept that work with everything from methane to ethanol

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 23, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Because pollution.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ola posted:

Because pollution.
This may be because I've been awake for 22 hours but is that poster arguing we should be burning the poo poo out of our Oils and using Gasolines as the default car tech?
In the EV thread?
Knowning that we're cooking the planet to death?

Because it's a more efficient/convenient storage to energy ratio?
Did i take :birddrugs:

Or is this more of a "EV is a stopgap towards glorious FuelCell supremacy"?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I believe it is what they call a "troll".

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I believe he is suggesting that spending the equivalent cost of ending all poverty on earth to get batteries efficient enough that they can be used in a cost-effective 600-mile range vehicle charged by the remote burning of fossil fuels is not the most thought out plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

I believe he is suggesting that spending the equivalent cost of ending all poverty on earth to get batteries efficient enough that they can be used in a cost-effective 600-mile range vehicle charged by the remote burning of fossil fuels is not the most thought out plan.

And instead we should spend the equivalent cost of ending all poverty on earth in developing a fuel cell that uses hydrocarbons produced by the remote burning of fossil fuels to do the same. And just don't worry about the CO2 byproduct of that fuel cell, I'm sure Future Tech will sort that out.

• Locked thread