Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JacksAngryBiome posted:

One of my colleagues recently had a scientific journal submission under review. One reviewer's message was basically "nice paper, but for publication you should really, really cite these two papers to strengthen your introduction." The papers were tenuosly related to the research at best, and surprise, both from the same research group in China.
That poo poo would get you blacklisted *so* fast in europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

its netted them over 60 million dollars so far from Australian Chinese.

I'm pretty sure they're running the same scam in Vancouver as well. The Chinese Embassy keeps calling me at least, despite me having zero interaction with them ever. They always leave a message too, so I have to sit through several "Ni hao" messages every time I go to clean out my voicemail.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

JacksAngryBiome posted:

One of my colleagues recently had a scientific journal submission under review. One reviewer's message was basically "nice paper, but for publication you should really, really cite these two papers to strengthen your introduction." The papers were tenuosly related to the research at best, and surprise, both from the same research group in China.

Several of our reasearchers are Chinese, including co-authors on the submitted paper. They were not surprised.

Name and shame, buddy. It's a game that relies so heavily on reputation, if loving up doesn't get your name in the mud, what's there to be afraid of?

Anyway nothing's legally actionable, you're presenting it as hearsay. "My colleague told me that..." is a fact. Just don't name your colleague when you name the journal and reviewer (if they aren't anonymous?)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kharnifex posted:

Gonna need a cite for that one, mate.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kharnifex posted:

How are these people so loving stupid

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

GotLag posted:

Because they're from a country where it's entirely probable that the real consulate is informing them they or their family still in China are being investigated by the state unless an official gets bribed.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

WarpedNaba posted:

Gonna need a cite for that one, mate.

Could've sworn this was originally, 60mil Australia wide,

This article, not from a reputable source (newscorp) says Sydney alone is 10mil

https://www.news.com.au/finance/chinese-scammers-bag-10-million-from-sydney-residents/news-story/52d0a12838932e5a63c0ff21ca8d6711

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

GotLag posted:

Not to go Tu Quoque here, but people in the US get scammed by fake phone calls to the tune of $9 billion per year. People are stupid everywhere.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 16, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

This Properk hasn't posted a single damned thing about trains I'm pissed

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you know that trains in china beats flying any day any where?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, QLD in Oz was a huge target for Nigerian 419 scams,

The Indian tech support scams are pretty prelevant too, Had one the other night and I told the guy I don't have windows, or apple, my PC is running Gandu OS banchod 3.1

Alot of it relies on computer illiteracy, and fear

I can only assume the Chinese community in Oz is pretty fearful of the PRC coming to take their smuggled out or hard earned cash.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Could someone explain Chinese face to me? I get the American concept. What I don't get is why you'd lose face for quality checking your supplier and confronting them over product defects.

If you're the one saying there's a problem then it must be your problem.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Same end result but another way of looking at it was that there was no problem to be dealt with before you pointed one out, so really, the manufacturing defects aren't the problem, you're the problem

The example that springs to mind is that goon's wife in the Chinese embassy in LA or whatever. Some old guy was taking loving ages getting photos in the photo booth being a dunce, or pushed in the queue or something. Something that inconvenienced everyone waiting as well as just her. In any case she called him out, and he proceeded to be a whiny little bitch and threw a tantrum at her for like 20 minutes. The other people queuing didn't back her up, they backed him up, because if she hadn't said anything they could just huff silently about old boy taking 15 mins instead of "causing" him to be a big baby and stopping the queue for 20 minutes. She was the problem for having the spine and wherewithal to criticise.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 16, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I've posted before about the brainfuck that was a public service "promoting social harmony" advert here in HK that basically said "ignore people being arsewipes" not "don't be an arsewipe"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

"he who smelt it dealt it" but there is no fresh air, only farts before, now and forever

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Don't forget face is also about flaunting wealth. The more expensive crap you can show off, the more face you get.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually real face is about hospitality and consideration and being a good host.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

caberham posted:

Actually real face is about hospitality and consideration and being a good host.

in that case mods change this guys name to facerham

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

caberham posted:

Let us know when you find it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Caberham is a gracious host and has more than a lifetime's supply of face under that definition from me

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, but does he get it in turn?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, but does he get it in turn?

no. he only gets to visit the best diners, drive-ins, and dives in america

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

simplefish posted:

Name and shame, buddy. It's a game that relies so heavily on reputation, if loving up doesn't get your name in the mud, what's there to be afraid of?

Anyway nothing's legally actionable, you're presenting it as hearsay. "My colleague told me that..." is a fact. Just don't name your colleague when you name the journal and reviewer (if they aren't anonymous?)

The review process was anonymous, it always is for us. My colleague mentioned "I think I figured out who one of my reviewers is." and told me the story up until that point. He figured the reviewer was a colaborator with the recommended group, but not on the recommended citations themselves.
This was a while ago, and I don't know how the story ended, I'll ask next time I see him.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

JacksAngryBiome posted:

The review process was anonymous, it always is for us. My colleague mentioned "I think I figured out who one of my reviewers is." and told me the story up until that point. He figured the reviewer was a colaborator with the recommended group, but not on the recommended citations themselves.
This was a while ago, and I don't know how the story ended, I'll ask next time I see him.

Yeah they're usually anonymous reviewers. Still, which journal was it so we can avoid it?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It’s only anonymous to the submitting group, the editor knows who’s reviewing. The right course of action in that case is to inform your supervisor and let them talk to the editor.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

the best part about Summit is not only its performance but that its a genuine technological breakthrough that has double the performance of TaihuLight with 10 times fewer processors

From a ways back, but analysts were saying that the TaihuLight likely couldn't perform anywhere near it's claimed capacity since it was probably designed first and foremost to be a "theoretical winner", in that it had the processing capacity to do what it was saying, but the way it was designed meant that older and smaller supercomputers could do more actual work.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Chinas...rs-old-Tianhe-2

quote:

"However, Dongarra did note that the new supercomputer had its drawbacks: “The HPCG performance at only 0.3 percent of peak performance shows the weakness of the Sunway TaihuLight architecture with slow memory and modest interconnect performance."

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckxASg_AY8Q

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Driver actually had an excellent reaction.

Wait, this is from Taiwan isn't it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I assume since the video title uses traditional characters.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Green lorry in the right of frame gets on the brake then lets off, then mistakes brake for gas. It isn't just a simple can't stop in time

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I was in a train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh.

Saw 2 Chinese women come in and sit down across from me. 1 of them kept a lower half mask, like a surgical mask, but made of black cloth, on the entire trip up.

What purpose does this mask serve? I only ever see Chinese people doing this.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

You can also buy cloth masks instead of the disposable ones here; how often they're washed in another matter.

Anyway the a large part of it is you can cough without having to bother to cover your mouth with nobody will give you the stink eye or god forbit shout at you (even though once wet masks of any sort are only questionably effective, let alone reuse without washing).

Fair warning: I've been told by mainland posters that this isn't the case since they'll cough on anyone, but I personally find it to be that why risk face loss? Nobody can shout at you if you had a mask on even if you've been wearing it all day and coughed in someone's face! Like sure you know you'd win that argument because everyone coughs and so why were they standing in your way?!?! but why have the hassle if it can be avoided.

Also cheaper if it's reusable I guess.

At no point do either myself or mainland-living goons think it's for consideration of other people, but if you read starry-eyed "I went to Shanghai for my first trip outside the US and now I'm soooo enlightened!" blogs then they think it's a compassionate, selfless motivation that drives it. lol.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 16, 2018

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
"Chinese media have mocked US President Donald Trump over plans to impose 25% tariffs on $50bn worth of Chinese goods, saying "wise men build bridges but fools build walls""

errr guys we may not have thought through the implications of this statement ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-44505448

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sonderval posted:

"Chinese media have mocked US President Donald Trump over plans to impose 25% tariffs on $50bn worth of Chinese goods, saying "wise men build bridges but fools build walls""

errr guys we may not have thought through the implications of this statement ...
That is a sick rear end burn on trump. And really true about all of trump's walls.

If China were any other country it wouldn't even really be a self-own at the same time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 16, 2018

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
https://www.facebook.com/456752354392268/videos/1910400315694124/

Pretty sure this is China, based on the types of trucks I see.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fish and chips and dip posted:

https://www.facebook.com/456752354392268/videos/1910400315694124/

Pretty sure this is China, based on the types of trucks I see.

This would be the twelfth time I have seen this and maybe the seventh in this thread. Nice gesture all the same.

*It's China.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

simplefish posted:

Fair warning: I've been told by mainland posters that this isn't the case since they'll cough on anyone, but I personally find it to be that why risk face loss? Nobody can shout at you if you had a mask on even if you've been wearing it all day and coughed in someone's face! Like sure you know you'd win that argument because everyone coughs and so why were they standing in your way?!?! but why have the hassle if it can be avoided.

Lol at the thought of the average mainlander giving even a single gently caress what others think if they blatantly cough all over everyone else in a subway/bus/elevator.

Just.

Lol.

There does seem to be some social progress on stuff like not spitting loogies all over the streets and standing to one side on escalators, which are definitely better than a few years ago, but not on public coughing.

Conversely, I’ve never seen anyone go off on one of the coughers either.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Known Lecher posted:

Lol at the thought of the average mainlander giving even a single gently caress what others think if they blatantly cough all over everyone else in a subway/bus/elevator.

Just.

Lol.

There does seem to be some social progress on stuff like not spitting loogies all over the streets and standing to one side on escalators, which are definitely better than a few years ago, but not on public coughing.

Conversely, I’ve never seen anyone go off on one of the coughers either.

Well ok but why do they wear them then when they're ill?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's not much connection I've ever seen. I've been teaching university classes this semester and half the girls wear those masks literally every class, I've never seen their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

They don't wanna catch disease from foreigners

• Locked thread