Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
FOOD COURT, ZHENGZHOU, CHINA:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am glad that food court survived the typhoon that destroyed whatever used to be on the left.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

hypnophant posted:

Securing Xinjiang in no way gives the Chinese access to two oceans

No, but it gives them another step in securing Himalayan water, which they will undoubtedly "5000 year history" and bus peasants to squat land until they can steal it, with or without legitimate claim.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mistle posted:

No, but it gives them another step in securing Himalayan water, which they will undoubtedly "5000 year history" and bus peasants to squat land until they can steal it, with or without legitimate claim.

This is all true, but the problem from the Chinese perspective is that doesn't remotely put them in a comparable position to the US. They badly need the water, but taking it weakens them if anything since it brings them into (even more) direct conflict with India. By contrast, America's push to the Pacific made us completely unchallenged in North America and gave unobstructed access to two oceans, and thereby the whole world.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Accretionist posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 looking good

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm the smell of decaying, damp plywood and the scuttling of infinite rats.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

This went differently than I thought it would: Guardian: Chinese defend Einstein's portrait of their people as 'filthy' and 'obtuse'

Grauniad posted:

While some internet users called for a “boycott of Einstein” and said his observations proved “all humans, even Einstein, have a stupid, shallow side,” most said the China Einstein witnessed is nothing like it is today.

“Einstein went to China at the wrong time,” said one Weibo user, describing the early years of the Chinese republic, established in 1912, which came after centuries of imperial rule. “Hunger, war, and poverty all pressed on the Chinese. How could Chinese people at the time gain Einstein’s respect?”

Many were in strong support of the scientist: “This is called insulting China? That’s ridiculous. Did the Chinese in that era look dirty? When I see the photos from then, they look dirty, Einstein depicted the true state of that era.”

Others compared the scientists’s observations to that of Lu Xun, considered the father of modern Chinese literature, who was best known for his scathing satire of Chinese society in the early 20th century. “We praise Lu Xun because he pointed out our disadvantages. Why should we blame Einstein for this?”

Historical narratives promoted by the Chinese government often paint the days before China’s communist party took power in 1949 as chaotic.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Accretionist posted:

Maximum Law was shown no mercy from the looks of things.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone tell them China is a hot mess.

The filth is in the air, algae blooms, and toxic waterways. The Chinese soul of those in power is as corrupt now as it was then. I don't understand the fatal attraction of 5 heads, skeletons and peanut brittle. They move like robots while staring into rectangles mindlessly. They seem to have little intellectual aspirations, preferring stealing innovations. They are industrious, working and living in squalid, depression inducing conditions. The Face cultural framework is inscrutable and obtuse.

I swear Einstein would have made much of the same observations now as he did then. LOL at a satirist making the same type of observations now without getting deleted and the threat of the secret police knocking on the door.

He would be appalled by how poorly used America's upward trajectory has been.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Saw this on reddit and though of this thread.

Entire early 1900s China photo collection link here.

This is awesome, thanks for posting.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo this is going to be amazing and banned in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ug9zvC9pJM

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

So what you’re essentially saying is that this thread is incredibly racist, to the point where even Einstein himself would blush, yet posters in this circlejerk of hell enjoy using the ‘b b but Chinese aren’t a RACE they’re a NATIONALITY’ line as a get out of jail free card?

Very insightful.

Welcome back! Are you the original Pro PRC Laowai? We look forward to your thread making GBS threads.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Let us English posted:

Welcome back! Are you the original Pro PRC Laowai?

hmm is something with PRC in its name a late-arriving cheap immitation? hmmmm.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Any other Australian goons started getting robo-calls in Mandarin?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Eldarin committed genocide against Orcs in Mordor.

No why

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

GotLag posted:

Yeah, actually it's become quite frequent, home phones, private numbers, mobiles, At all hours.
Everyone I know has gotten it at least once

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Let us English posted:

Welcome back! Are you the original Pro PRC Laowai? We look forward to your thread making GBS threads.

it’s not him

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

It's a locally-produced knockoff in name only, such as CUCCI or ARMONI?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's a locally-produced knockoff in name only, such as CUCCI or ARMONI?

PRO PRC had been reported to be back in USA, went all MAGA and stopped talking to goons

This posters ID is different, syntax and topic conversation is nowhere close, and it took all of 12 hours before they started ranting about aryans and white people posting about China

It’s clear as day it isn’t pro-prc lol

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GotLag posted:

I am getting them in New Zealand.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

PRO PRC had been reported to be back in USA, went all MAGA and stopped talking to goons

This posters ID is different, syntax and topic conversation is nowhere close, and it took all of 12 hours before they started ranting about aryans and white people posting about China

It’s clear as day it isn’t pro-prc lol

This is indeed what I suspected.

Didn’t the Pro PRC get involved in some anti-government protests in China just before he stopped posting? Was that any part of his leaving?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

pro prc laowai go back to america

brah lose face

etalian posted:

Looks like someone is trying to improve their social credit score.

I made those comments out of my own free will. I was in no way threatened or coerced into making these statements.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Trade war back on track?

quote:

Trump Approves Tariffs on $50 Billion of Chinese Goods

President Donald Trump has approved tariffs on Chinese goods worth about $50 billion, said a person familiar with the decision, ratcheting up a confrontation on trade with Beijing and triggering losses in the domestic stock market.

The Trump administration is preparing to release a refined list of the first batch of Chinese products to be hit with tariffs on Friday that hones in on technologies where China wants to establish itself as a leader, according to people familiar with the matter. In April, the U.S. revealed an initial list targeting about 1,300 products worth $50 billion in Chinese imports.

The U.S. is also nearing completion of a second list of products ordered by Trump, worth $100 billion, which would be subject to the same public hearing process as the first, Reuters reported on Friday. That could bring a another wave of duties after 60 days or more, the report said.

The White House has said the first series of duties will be implemented “shortly” after the release of Friday’s list, though no date has been set.

Oh and this nugget from China Daily:

quote:

China and other nations should join together to counter Trump’s aggressive trade policies, the state-run China Daily said Friday, repeating past threats to retaliate in kind. While China hopes that talks can succeed in resolving the dispute, "it is high time that China and other major economies joined hands to better cope with the challenges created by the U.S.’s aggressive pursuit of trade advantages," the editorial said.

:ironicat:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-14/trump-has-made-decision-on-china-tariffs-sanders-says

However, the way Trump flip flops, who the gently caress knows if itll actually stick. I half expect another tweet in a few days where he goes "Oh we have to protect Chinese jobs as well" after some ego massaging by pro China "lobbyists".

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

RACETRADE WAR NOW

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A Race War sounds cool if you don’t know what it means. Twisted Metal was loving great.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Zhengzhou is one of the shittirst cities in China. Filthy, industrial, and ugly. This is pretty much exactly how I remember it.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Pirate Radar posted:

A Race War sounds cool if you don’t know what it means. Twisted Metal was loving great.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Lol you just know that is the result of an inspection of some kind highlighting that they didn't have a fire extinguisher

Which suggests that that's officially been signed off as a rectification

E: for you spoony bards out there it's
"Quenching Defence-use water
Please do not use drinking"

For the rest of us it's
"Firefighting water.
Not for drinking."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
TrHoWa is on!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

LimburgLimbo posted:

Didn’t the Pro PRC get involved in some anti-government protests in China just before he stopped posting? Was that any part of his leaving?
No, there was some to-do at his apartment complex about public works, and he helped advise his fellow tenants on how to organize and petition the city government. Then they started making banners and poo poo, because Mainland. That's about the time he backed away and left them to their own devices.

Anyway, this shanzai Pro-Perk is a pale imitation of our treasured lock-picking, pizza-baking, guanxi-collecting international* man of mystery.

*He's been to both countries in the world: 中国 and 外国

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bip Roberts posted:

TrHoWa is on!
TraHoWa, please.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I heard the JEN, JEN, JENGIS KHAAAAAN song on the minibus the other day and I hadn't heard that for the longest time

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
This Properk hasn't posted a single damned thing about trains I'm pissed

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kharnifex posted:

Yeah, actually it's become quite frequent, home phones, private numbers, mobiles, At all hours.
Everyone I know has gotten it at least once

Figures they'd take the chabuduo approach and just dial everyone

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Could someone explain Chinese face to me? I get the American concept. What I don't get is why you'd lose face for quality checking your supplier and confronting them over product defects.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

My Imaginary GF posted:

Could someone explain Chinese face to me? I get the American concept. What I don't get is why you'd lose face for quality checking your supplier and confronting them over product defects.

Part of face is avoiding making anyone uncomfortable. That's why when one person fucks something up, they sometimes like to pretend everyone is a little bit at fault. To check the quality of the goods would be to suggest that the person is dishonest incompetent or whatever. This would be awkward for both parties and a loss of face for both.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

My Imaginary GF posted:

"You're a bad person because you're suspicious, and suspicious people are likely liars and hypocrites. You must be a liar and a hypocrite!"

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

fish and chips and dip posted:

The more articles thing is especially bulkshit, since that's a positive feedback loop. Chinese universities publish a large amount of articles which get massively cited by other Chinese universities, which in turn leads to a huge to rankings on top university, and innovation lists. Amount of journal articles and amount of citations are both numbers which are super easy to manipulate.

One of my colleagues recently had a scientific journal submission under review. One reviewer's message was basically "nice paper, but for publication you should really, really cite these two papers to strengthen your introduction." The papers were tenuosly related to the research at best, and surprise, both from the same research group in China.

Several of our reasearchers are Chinese, including co-authors on the submitted paper. They were not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

GotLag posted:

Figures they'd take the chabuduo approach and just dial everyone

its netted them over 60 million dollars so far from Australian Chinese.

• Locked thread