Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
According to Blizzard, they're going to start purging accounts after 90 days of inactivity. I think that's awful, but I figured you all would want a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Laslow posted:

According to Blizzard, they're going to start purging accounts after 90 days of inactivity. I think that's awful, but I figured you all would want a heads up.

Gotta ration that precious server space.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Do people still play on the b.net servers? Why?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

moush posted:

Do people still play on the b.net servers? Why?

Ladder only rune words, no more plugy development, ladder is fun for the first week or two.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

dad on the rag posted:

Ladder only rune words, no more plugy development, ladder is fun for the first week or two.
There are private servers with more real players and no bullshit. Reddit's slashdiablo was one. I'm not up to date on the d2 scene. Maybe the new d2 patch fixed up official servers a bit.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 23, 2018

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any Diablo 2 modded versions that let me return to the 1.0 days of yore where I could stack enough fast cast to create a perfect laser stream of frozen orbs and/or a pure cube of icey death via blizzard? :3:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Siets posted:

Are there any Diablo 2 modded versions that let me return to the 1.0 days of yore where I could stack enough fast cast to create a perfect laser stream of frozen orbs and/or a pure cube of icey death via blizzard? :3:
I think D2SE has all versions all the way back to 1.0. probably need to run it on a fresh install though.

Other than that, the original CD?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Khorne posted:

There are private servers with more real players and no bullshit. Reddit's slashdiablo was one. I'm not up to date on the d2 scene. Maybe the new d2 patch fixed up official servers a bit.

Yeah I used slashdiablo the last time I wanted to play d2. It has everything bnet servers do except they allow maphacks and they can trigger uber when they want. Also it's easy to multi-box on it.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Well, I still play on B.net. My maphack still works, and as do the bots. Pretty much just make an MF sorc to gear up a hammerdin bot, then I rain my ridiculous wealth down on randoms. Having my bot run all night is like having Christmas morning every morning. :3:

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

dad on the rag posted:

Are there new runewords that haven't been implemented in plugy?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Laslow posted:

Well, I still play on B.net. My maphack still works, and as do the bots. Pretty much just make an MF sorc to gear up a hammerdin bot, then I rain my ridiculous wealth down on randoms. Having my bot run all night is like having Christmas morning every morning. :3:

how do I get in on this wealth

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

how do I get in on this wealth
Phase 1: Level up a blizz sorc
Phase 2: Slap on the cheapest MF gear you can find and run Hell Mephisto. You can trap him behind the moat so he can't hit you, so you can just have gear loaded with MF instead of stats.
Phase 3: Once you've got enough decent cheap hammerdin gear like a wizardspike, spirit shield or whatever, level up a paladin.
Phase 4: Get a bot like etal or D2NT and have your hammerdin do easy runs, like pindelskin and shenk until you have enough stuff to trade for Enigma armor for yourself and duress(or fortitude if you're rich enough) armor and insight polearm for the merc.
Phase 5: Have your hammerbot do harder runs, meph, andy, etc til you're filthy rich.
Bonus Phase/Extra Credit: Level up and gear a smiter for ubers and distribute hellfire torches to everyone on the server.

If you just want cool free stuff, I'm gonna get going on the next ladder reset, you can hit me up sometime after then and I'll hook you up.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Laslow posted:

Phase 1: Level up a blizz sorc
Phase 2: Slap on the cheapest MF gear you can find and run Hell Mephisto. You can trap him behind the moat so he can't hit you, so you can just have gear loaded with MF instead of stats.
Phase 3: Once you've got enough decent cheap hammerdin gear like a wizardspike, spirit shield or whatever, level up a paladin.
Phase 4: Get a bot like etal or D2NT and have your hammerdin do easy runs, like pindelskin and shenk until you have enough stuff to trade for Enigma armor for yourself and duress(or fortitude if you're rich enough) armor and insight polearm for the merc.
Phase 5: Have your hammerbot do harder runs, meph, andy, etc til you're filthy rich.
Bonus Phase/Extra Credit: Level up and gear a smiter for ubers and distribute hellfire torches to everyone on the server.

If you just want cool free stuff, I'm gonna get going on the next ladder reset, you can hit me up sometime after then and I'll hook you up.

That’s pretty cool, actually. I’ve done enough D2 legit at this point I wouldn’t mind being a bit more nefarious. Does Blizzard ever do sweeps for bots or is it just the Wild West now?

Or do you run this on non-blizz servers?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I thought 1.14D resulted in a big banwave for bot users? Have you ever been caught by those? How many accounts have you had to buy?

There's also the Overwatch way of doing security where Blizzard starts profiling "you" the nefarious user and prevents you from buying future copies of the game you broke the TOS in. People banned from Overwatch cannot log back into the game even if they buy a new copy, change their IP address, even change out their hardware. Somehow Blizzard knows its them. :ninja:

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I used D2NT/Etal with a 1.13 version hack to bot on 1.14d b.net. Apparently if you use Windows XP, warden won't catch you due to a bug. However, there's always a risk.

It's not the wild west any more, it's more like prison lockdown. If it weren't for the XP bug, botting on the realms would be dead, dead, dead.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Screw "live" d2. I just can't do it anymore, 99% because endgame involves doing billions of baal or chaos runs. I've been playing a lot of Median XL. Not only that, but Median is getting a huge core engine/content update set to release in August. The biggest thing to mention is 1024 x 768 resolution.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Is there any risk to running single player bots if I just want to run a tweaked out dude without a lot of effort?

Edit holy poo poo bots not boys

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 27, 2018

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

Is there any risk to running single player bots if I just want to run a tweaked out dude without a lot of effort?

Edit holy poo poo bots not boys
I don't think so, although you'll want to run 1.13 for compatibility and flexibility for what kind of bot you want to run.

But if you're playing single player, you can just hack any item out of thin air, which is also kinda fun in it's own different way.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Laslow posted:

I don't think so, although you'll want to run 1.13 for compatibility and flexibility for what kind of bot you want to run.

But if you're playing single player, you can just hack any item out of thin air, which is also kinda fun in it's own different way.

I think I already have 1.14 installed. Can I overwrite that with an old patch?

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

areyoucontagious posted:

I think I already have 1.14 installed. Can I overwrite that with an old patch?

Yes you can, just search for "diablo 2 downgrade" or similar.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
What's generally better to run - NM Meph, NM Baal or quest-bugged Hell Andy?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Maha posted:

What's generally better to run - NM Meph, NM Baal or quest-bugged Hell Andy?
It depends on your level and what you can kill trivially and what you are trying to get.

If nm baal is good exp then might as well run it until it's not.

If you can't do it fast or efficiently, or if you just want beginner gear, then do nm meph/hell andy, depending on which you can slay easier.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Andy has a -50% fire resistance across all difficulties. FB sorc should fix her poo poo real fast.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Seamonster posted:

Andy has a -50% fire resistance across all difficulties. FB sorc should fix her poo poo real fast.

Except many of her minions are fire immune.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I farm Hell Andariel easily as a Meteorb sorceress. Once you get to Catacombs 4, just teleport twice up to her area, throw 1~2 frozen orbs at the first dark shaman on the right, another 1~2 frozen orbs at the second dark shaman directly above you, then Andariel is aggroed and comes down who you can honestly just instantly W-switch to your Alibaba + MF offhand combo because she's just that easy to melt with a meteor + fireballs combo.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Holy crap, NM Baal's minions dropped a Lo. Now to find body armor worthy of a Fortitude.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Ladder reset is finally official. Friday, June 15th!

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Oh my loving god, I lost my War Travs after I died because they were self-sustaining on STR and I had a full inventory. Just kill me now.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
It's been a long time since I played this game on b-net but caught the bug again after watching videos of D2 speedrunning. Installed D2 and Plugy for the stash and runewords as I only want to run single player.

Normal and Nightmare were fine on a blizzard sorc. Hell is proving to be a pain on a forb and fireball Respec. Do I just need to readjust my expectations that I'll die a fuckton before I can actually start running Hell Andy and Mephisto for better gear or is there an ultimate power build for a Hell sorc that's popped up in the last years? I'll also gladly accept tips on good levelling areas.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

cigaw posted:

It's been a long time since I played this game on b-net but caught the bug again after watching videos of D2 speedrunning. Installed D2 and Plugy for the stash and runewords as I only want to run single player.

Normal and Nightmare were fine on a blizzard sorc. Hell is proving to be a pain on a forb and fireball Respec. Do I just need to readjust my expectations that I'll die a fuckton before I can actually start running Hell Andy and Mephisto for better gear or is there an ultimate power build for a Hell sorc that's popped up in the last years? I'll also gladly accept tips on good levelling areas.

The problem with Sorc is immunities, you basically have to accept that you can't do some content. That's why Hammerdin is so good because he doesn't have the same problem.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

moush posted:

The problem with Sorc is immunities, you basically have to accept that you can't do some content. That's why Hammerdin is so good because he doesn't have the same problem.

Not quite so anymore since Blessed Hammer no longer ignores immunity to magic on undead and demons. It's still insane, though.

A sorceress in Hell will have an easier time if you can get a wand with Lower Resistance charges until you can somehow get an Infinity for your mercenary.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I like a zealer with a Baranar’s Star, it just blasts em with every element, so immunities aren’t such a drag. Cheesing extra damage by swapping back and forth between conviction and fanaticism is nice too.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

What would you guys recommend as a melee character? I mostly play sorc, necro and trap assassin, so I wanna try something new. I know melee characters really struggle in hell, so what's one of the easier ones you guys think I should start with?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Definitely a paladin. A smiter or zealer with some kind if life tap item, like Drac's gloves or an Exile shield not only get by in Hell just fine, but are the only ones that can take down the Uber bosses.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Barbarians really only have Whirlwind as a melee option. They can chunk big guys just fine, but you'll be so bored single target killing large groups.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol if the best barbarian build is actually a singer

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Frenzy with the right "%chance to cast spell" runeword weapons in each hand works well. You can poo poo out bone spirits, glacial spikes, fireballs, enchants, frozen orbs, molten boulders, etc. on top of decent physical damage.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Smoke_Max posted:

What would you guys recommend as a melee character? I mostly play sorc, necro and trap assassin, so I wanna try something new. I know melee characters really struggle in hell, so what's one of the easier ones you guys think I should start with?

Kicksin with the Rift runeword (Hel Ko Lem Gul) and enjoy kicking out rapid-fire Frozen Orbs everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No you're supposed to make Chaos you loving dolt.